Best LOTR board game?

From games based in Middle-earth, to the latest MMORPG, first person shooter, or strategy game, come on in and talk about the games you play!

Best LOTR board game?

Postby leroyneiman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:34 pm

If you could only have one table-top middle earth game, what would it be?
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Best LOTR board game?

Postby HELMHAMMERHAND » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:26 am

I recently ordered the Official LORD OF THE RINGS Monopoly game. So, I looking forward to playing it.
I'll let you know when it arrives.
HELMHAMMERHAND
Ranger of the North

Postby akkratte » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:07 am

I still have this one that I haven't played yet. Has anyone?

http://www.scifigenre.com/itemDetail.aspx?nItemID=91472
akkratte
Petitioner to the Council

Postby darclegion2 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:02 pm

A game using the Games Workshop rules for LOTR. They have all the scenerios and figures. But I dont care for the figures, I use the old Harlequin LOTR range that is out of production. But he Games Workshop rules for epic battles are so easy to use, its funny.
I am currently playing the Battle of Pelennor Fields with my massive Minas Tirith.
tom

http://tidesofwargaming.blogspot.com/
darclegion2
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gungnir » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 am

I made my own LOTR board game by superimposing a hex grid on a map of Middle-Earth, using the game pieces from LotR Risk and a set of rules based loosely around Waddington's 'Campaign' (which is a brilliant game). My kids loved it and played it for three days straight.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Breeland CoffeeHouse » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:08 pm

akkratte wrote:I still have this one that I haven't played yet. Has anyone?

http://www.scifigenre.com/itemDetail.aspx?nItemID=91472

It's alright. It is quite atmospheric. Premise is quite good - everyone has to cooperate otherwise Sauron gets the ring. Illustrations by John Howe so they're very good. Only thing is we never even got close to completing it - virtually impossible not to be caught by Sauron on the board by the time you have reached halfway point across middle earth. The odds are stacked against the players too much. But at least it's close to the feeling in the book!
maybe we should have another crack at it.
Breeland CoffeeHouse
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Aravar » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:30 am

Campaign's a real blast form the past. I've still got my copy at home.

SPI tried to do a hex and ocunter game called War of the Ring about 1980. It's wasn't bad but it was trying too hard to be a hex and counter wargame.

The recent Fantasy Flight War of the Ring does what the SPI game tried to do but did it much better. It uses areas rather than hexes and has lots and lots of plastic figures. It's certainly my favourite. The supplementary for Helms Deep/ Minas Tirith isn't as good.

The Knizia LOTR is good and looks gorgeous. It is, however, very tough to beat.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:35 am

Aravar wrote:Campaign's a real blast form the past. I've still got my copy at home.

I've also got (the world's most battered) copy of Campaign, up in the loft. What a great game.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:21 am

leroyneiman wrote:If you could only have one table-top middle earth game, what would it be?

I still have this somewhere:

I used to play it quite a lot in my teens but haven't played it for years. It was very geeky - not something you could include non-fans in. I also remember it went on for hours. It was pretty good, though. My version was released before the Ralph Bakshi film and had nothing to do with it but I've seen pictures of a Bakshi-influenced version and boardgamegeek refers to it. I wouldn't mind getting the Bakshi version but I don't think I know anyone who could be arsed playing it with me now. :(

Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby Aravar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:33 am

I had the version with the Bakshi box graphics. The internal art was the same as the copy you have: I remember the pictures on the cards as being the ones on the box. IIRC the rulebook had the "fluffy" balrog on it.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:49 am

Aravar wrote:I had the version with the Bakshi box graphics. The internal art was the same as the copy you have: I remember the pictures on the cards as being the ones on the box. IIRC the rulebook had the "fluffy" balrog on it.

So, was it only the box that was different on the Bakshi version? Pah.

I remember having a plastic thing with little drawers that I got from a DIY store (intended for keeping all your screws in) for all those hundreds and hundreds of counters representing army forces.

I wish I had that much time on my hands now.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Return to Games (Tolkien and More)