Bioshock Infinite, can Games be as Good as a Movie or Novel?

From games based in Middle-earth, to the latest MMORPG, first person shooter, or strategy game, come on in and talk about the games you play!

Bioshock Infinite, can Games be as Good as a Movie or Novel?

Postby GlassHouse » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:52 am

Been telling son the gamer for years that video games need to evolve a new way of story telling if they ever want to be anything more than bloody shooters.and are ever going to be an art form as good as movies or novels. Which they could be.

But I guess I wasn't familiar with Bioshock. The first in the series (2007) was an attempt to see what would happen if Ayn Rand's Objectivist theories were ever put to the test. The second, continues that theme but takes on collectivism. Heavy stuff for video games but the thing is, these games look and play great (according to reviews by hardcore gamers). And now the art and story telling in the third installment seems to have reached new heights.
Take a look at this review on NPR and then look at the review from a gamer on YouTube.

This is great stuff and may make some people rethink their opinions of video games. I'd like to know if any of you have played these, especially Bioshock Infinite and what you thought. Did it play well, hold your interest? Did you get what the dev's say they were doing with the elements of tragedy in this latest version?

NPR Story

Adam Sessler reviews Bioshock Infinite
GlassHouse
Mariner

Return to Games (Tolkien and More)