'LotR' Online Multiplayer Game in the Works at Amazon

From games based in Middle-earth, to the latest MMORPG, first person shooter, or strategy game, come on in and talk about the games you play!

'LotR' Online Multiplayer Game in the Works at Amazon

Postby Otaku-sempai » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 am

Both The Hollywood Reporter and Entertainment Weekly are reporting that Amazon Game Studios, together with Middle-earth Enterprises and Chinese video game holding company Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited, is developing a new, free-to-play massively multiplayer online (MMO) game for PC and consoles based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. It sounds like the game will be set long before the War of the Ring, possibly in either the First or Second Age. However, the game does not seem to be directly connected to Amazon Prime's upcoming Lord of the Rings series.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Re: 'LotR' Online Multiplayer Game in the Works at Amazon

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:43 am

I cannot wait for this. I'm not generally a big gaming person, but this has my undivided attention: it seems to be set in the book universe, from what the trades are reporting, and it looks like it'll be set in either the Second or early Third Age, even if it is unrelated to the TV series (which may or may not be true). But there's also speculation going around that it's set in the First Age or something: the creator said something about how the game isn't set in the "world of men" or something like that: I can't remember the exact quote. But it seems really interesting, regardless.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:33 am

Thor 'n' Oakenshield wrote:...the creator said something about how the game isn't set in the "world of men" or something like that: I can't remember the exact quote. But it seems really interesting, regardless.

Yes, that was an intriguing comment. Maybe the game is set primarily during the War of the Elves and Sauron.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:14 am

That would be incredible. This game is definitely on my radar. Is there any word on when it will be released?
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Thor 'n' Oakenshield wrote:That would be incredible. This game is definitely on my radar. Is there any word on when it will be released?

It seems to be too early yet to expect a release date.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Return to Games (Tolkien and More)