Baldurs gate , Icewind Dale, NWN thread(2)

From games based in Middle-earth, to the latest MMORPG, first person shooter, or strategy game, come on in and talk about the games you play!

Postby drieske » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:41 am

Have now installed both patches that are offered on the official BG ToSC site, so let's hope it works. Although the last patch had something to do with DirectX and multiplayer, so my hopes are not too high :|

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/index_misc.php
Have also checked out that site, but I think they mention the same patches...
drieske
Mariner

Postby Darklon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:11 pm

hm...

I think I read about that bug in one of the forums not quiet sure which one but check those out if ya have free time

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/

http://www.bioware.com/games/baldurs_gate/

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/baldursg ... loads.html

http://gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/#null

also drieske which version of Direct X do you use ? as there are different patches for every version :)
Darklon
Rider of the Mark

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:23 am

I really like the Bioware site but i am thorougly depressed with their help with patches or bugs.

Blizzard is much better in that. :(
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Incitatus » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:14 pm

Hihi everyone! I've just bought Neverwinter Nights, but I'm a little disappointed - it's not as fun as I had hoped. I was a big big fan of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. I also like Morrowind, but I don't think NWN is as good. I think the problem is its made for multiplayer, not singleplayer. I should go play it online.

I think the problem is that the story is not exciting, and also that the game is not so "designed" as BG 1 and 2. What I mean is, in the BGs, every weapon, every character, every tiny part of every map, had been thought about and deliberatley contrived, while in NWN things are repeated from rules and tile sets.

-The areas often look the same, the same trees and cliffs or dungeons. I dont think there was "tile sets" in the BGs. Even BG chests and cupboards were there for a reason, NWN has endless pointless treasure.

-BG shops had specially designed weapons - "King Gonnorhea's Fire Axe", "The Blade of Saladfork the Mighty" etc, etc, in NWN there is always Basic Sword, Sword +1, Sowrd +2, etc.

-BGs had so many interesting stories and characters, NWN doesnt. I like guiding characters through a story, like a good book or movie, not just fighting monsters like in Diablo.

Should I keep playing NWN? Does it get better? Can characters get special "bases" like the Thieves' Guild and Ranger's cabin in BG2?

~~~~~Also, what do people think about Paladins? Technically, they are good - good armour (unlike the Barbarian and the Ranger) and they can cast spells and resist magic and traps (unlike the Fighter). But their personalities always seem so tragic. When you meet NPC paladins they seem so pathetic (except Keldorn, he's cool). I think I must be "chaotic" in real life, "lawful" characters remind me of Conservatives and the super-religious. :wink:
Incitatus
Shield Bearer

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:42 am

Greetings Incitatus, welcome here :)

I agree with you on the NWN points, yet the tile set wasn't so boring for me and I found out that the further you went in the game, the more interesting the scenery became. Trust me on that, it is worth to keep playing . The story is quite good aswell.

But I agree with you on the fact that playing it multiplayer will make it better, single player is by far not as good as the BG serie.

Also your companion in NWN is quite irritating, i prefer to control them myselfs, that gives me more feeling with them.

About paladins, I have played them twice (male and female) in Bg1, and I had them in my party (keldorn) because of the great sword you get. I find them not so interesting characters, they aint as good fighters as fighters. Nor can they cast interesting spells, and for healing i prefer a cleric anyways. But they can be fun once in a while, yet I would never play them in D&D :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:35 am

Just had to post this happy event somewhere :P

I bought a very spiffy NWN box, together with SOU and Hordes of the Underdark for a very nice price. Since i truly never played the expansions i am excited to see what they bring.

Right now me and Drieske started a multiplayer campaign (NWN) where we will try to use some of the new classes aswell, and then maybe move on into the expansions. Very excited about all this and who knows maybe now i will feel like using the editor :lol:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:59 pm

*cheers and rejoices* :D
I've never even played NWN at all, only the first chapter, but so far it looks very nice! Have to get used to the different way of handling a character though, but I'm learning and laughing and fighting :wink:
The drow world is also very cool, looking forward to going there very much.
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:54 am

Well it is new for me to play the whole campaign so far with two persons. Heh I forgot to do things that I normally don't and made several mistakes. But also it maeks the game a lot more fun for me again, especially now when owning the expansion packs and chosing new classes and skills.

One more level up and i will be a shadowdancer and Drieske most likely an arcane archer :twisted:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Carnëmerethion » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:12 pm

hi all :D

i have nwn too and think it's a great game, but i was wondering, are the
expansions worth buying? is the storyline as nice as in nwn (or better)
and can you do much more (and different) things with the other classes?

by the way: wich class do you all prefer?

:)

edited for spelling
Last edited by Carnëmerethion on Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carnëmerethion
Ranger of the North

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:08 pm

I must say i havent explored the storylines of the new games. But already the new classes, items and feats make the expansions worth buying.

My favorite class right now is shadowdancer :)

Good to see you here btw.
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Carnëmerethion » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:11 pm

hmmm, i think i'm going to buy them then, i once played on internet and
i saw a guy with dragon wings, it looked really cool :D

i like the druid, it's so much fun transforming in different forms, but if you're
a dragon, you can't walk trough the door :roll:

Good to see you here btw

in the games section you mean? i'm everywhere, i just don't post that much 8)
Carnëmerethion
Ranger of the North

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:06 pm

Yep, meant in the game section. Seems pretty much dead and hope to atleast bring it back to life a bit more, always used to love it here. :lol:

Druid is one of those classes i never really got into, I prefer more a cleric above a Druid. But your right it might be worth a try, especially in NWN. :)
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Carnëmerethion » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:58 pm

then i'll stick around some longer :)

for playing the game as easy as possible i wouldn't take druid either, but
for the fun :D i also rather have or a figther or a spellcaster, if you are
both(as the cleric) i think the character isn't superior at both things
Carnëmerethion
Ranger of the North

Postby Exar_Kun » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:03 am

Buying the expansions for the storylines is definitely worth it. They have a whole other storyline, yet stay within the same NWN atmosphere. They take you to really cool places, and it's just a really enticing experience.
Personally, I liked the storyline of Hordes of the Underdark better, but it could've been my choice in character or something. I haven't finished the last one yet, since I kept dying at one point :/

The guy with the dragonwings is the prestige class Red Dragon Disciple, which is a really cool one. I combined it with Monk, and it just does a helluva lot dmg and has a good defense. Plus, I think you get some flamethrower spell with it (not really sure though, been a while :)).
In Shadows of Undrentide I made an Arcane Archer, really loved that one too. Although I finished the SP before I really got to any good skills for that character. They improved in HotU with making the SP campaign a whole bit longer, and again taking you to many many awesome places and inventive quests. As I write about it, I keep remembering more and more things :P
Exar_Kun
Ranger of the North

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:33 am

Sounds really good Exar. I will try those expansions most likely together with Drieske after we finished the SP of NWN. I am especially interested in Hordes of the Underdark, drows and all :twisted:

To bad though i cant look at Drieskes screen, she is an arcane archer and sometimes i want to know what she is capable off but I just can't see it. (was wondering if you had to click "shoot +1 arrows, or if it shoots them automatically).

But i can see now why Aglanor loved the shadowdancer..."hide" "stab""hide""stab"...to bad so many creatures do seem to notice me.. :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:53 am

Well, Arcane Archer, so far I can use my special abilities and shoot fire arrows at someone, three times (without resting). And they give a spectacular explosion, love to use those :D Haven't found any other possibilities of the Archane Archer though, so I'm happy with every suggestion. When we're playing I'm mostly too occupied to roam around in the inventory, spells and such :oops: So Exar, shower me with nice tips? :)

Really looking forward to the Drow world too, after all of Drizzt's adventures in the book I'm reading :D

But I have to agree with Carnëmerethion, I like the druid too, plus ranger, fooling around with nature's secrets \o/ I'm always accompanied by my sweet brave dire wolf (Nargot, remember him Exar? ;))

So far I love playing NWN, can hardly wait 'till our next session Maeg :D
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:19 am

I must say that I enjoy NWN finally now as much as I should. I always found it a very good game but it just missed the apeal that games like BG and bg2 had for me. But nowadays due to the expansions that gave me new classes i never played before, and multiplaying with Drieske I cant wait for a new session either.

I just dont understand though why I hardly ever can summon my shadow :?

But being a shadowdancer is cool, still doubting to go one more level thief to get my open locks and find traps at a good rate again. But every new level of a shadowdancer just looks to appealing. :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Carnëmerethion » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:12 pm

i'm playing a cleric now (currently in chapter 3) but it isn't much different
then a druid. other than the heavy armor(wich i don't use) there aren't
much advantages (imho)

an i'm still waiting till the money flows again, so i can buy the expansions :D
Carnëmerethion
Ranger of the North

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:28 pm

A cleric can turn undead which is pretty useful in the chapters of NWN I thought. Also way more offensive spells and ofcourse the heavy armor and heavy weapon profincy which makes you also an adept fighter. :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Carnëmerethion » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:52 am

turn undead, i totally forgot that :D
hmm, more offensive spells? there's not very much difference i think, and
druid has better defensive spells :D

i also have a question: do you know wether the "spell penetration" feat is
any good or not? i don't really notice the difference when taking or not taking it
Carnëmerethion
Ranger of the North

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:53 am

I personally find that a very useful spell when i was playing a cleric. And a cleric (ofcourse depending on your domain) has more offensive spells and with his turn undead ability he becomes quite a bringer of death. :twisted:

But spell penetration is especially against spellcasters useful and you will meet more and more of those. :)
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Calma » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:19 pm

Ok, I have upgraded from 98 to XP and now my NWN doesn't work like it used to. It is like watching a movie frame by frame.
Is there something I should do to make it work on XP?
Or something I did to make it NOT work on XP?
(that would be more like me. :D)
Please speak in the common tongue. I don't know anything about computers settings or the like.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:50 am

Hmm no clue actually. It worked with me on win 98, and now it works great on xp to.

Did you update it till the latest version? As that might help a lot most of the times. Sometimes a simply reinstal works to.

And is there enough free space on your hard disk ? As xp requires a lot more space then win 98 and also uses a lot more RAM. So it might be that either your disk space became to little, or you need more RAM.

:)
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Calma » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:28 am

Thank you, Maeglin. I have reinstalled twice and updated as well.
I'll look into the RAM, because, according to my computer, I have the space on my hard drive.

Thanks again!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:24 am

Any time Calma, do you know how much RAM you got?

Normally i would say your videocard, but since it worked fine before i doubt that is it. :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Calma » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:42 pm

Actually, it was the video card. :whistle:

It sort of threw us for a loop, because it was a new card. It didn't jive with the motherboard, so we installed a different one and it works like a charm! :D

Thanks again, Maeglin!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:20 am

Hehe, could have known ofc :lol:

Well have fun playing again Calma and if you need help with the game let me know :)
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby -|---Anduril » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:56 am

Did anyone get the premium modules for NWN??
I just got my hands on them, but I heard that they weren't all that good.

Heh, But I had started playing the Witches Wake when it was still free, then I had to format my PC and now I want to continue it...

[quote="Carnëmerethion"do you know wether the "spell penetration" feat is
any good or not? i don't really notice the difference when taking or not taking it
[/quote]
It is useful, only just not against creatures with spell immunity, and I think the effects stack, so if you cast Spell breach more than once, it will eventually break through.
+The feat Spell penitration is (I think) a prerequisit for Epic Spell Penitration... which is really good.
-|---Anduril
Ringbearer

Postby Carnëmerethion » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:50 am

-|---Anduril wrote:Did anyone get the premium modules for NWN??
I just got my hands on them, but I heard that they weren't all that good.

I don't know, I don't have them, but friends of me do have them and
they liked them.
and isn't the witches wake still downloadable? on nwvault.ign.com?

ah, thanks :). I can't choose epic spell penetration now ( I only have
the normal NWN on this computer) so I think I'll only take it when i
have a feat left :D
Carnëmerethion
Ranger of the North

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:37 am

Hello all, good to see this thread is still alive :wink:

Am i the only one who is so far pretty disapointed by "Shadows of Undrentide". I mean the start was good, but the moment you went to the desert, bah never seen so many buggy quests and lousy riddles before.

Me and drieske always had fun playing it but the past weeks we are looking for another game (world of warcraft). Anyone knows if the game gets better after the desert?
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Games (Tolkien and More)