Baldurs gate , Icewind Dale, NWN thread(2)

From games based in Middle-earth, to the latest MMORPG, first person shooter, or strategy game, come on in and talk about the games you play!

Postby Aglanor » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:31 pm

Amarie: Do not feel too bad. Jellies and oozes are among the more difficult creatures of Faerun. Remember: Blunt weapons and fire-damage (I believe...:roll:) Good luck! And which characters died?

Alandriel: High Hedge is somewhere to the west or southwest of Bergost I believe. There's a tower there, where a mage lives. He's involved in a little subquest, revolving around a chicken (it's a pretty hilarious sidequest...:D:D). Somewhere around there, you can find Kivan.

And Minsc should be standing on the side of the road in Nashkell. You haven't taken him along earlier and dropped him from the group somewhere?

Oh, and I will join you later on at the festival. This is actually the first festival I've been a bit social with my fellow bards...;) So see ya there! And I didn't see a poem yet. Still working on it?
Aglanor
Mariner

Postby Alandriel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:51 am

Aglanor wrote: There's a tower there, where a mage lives. He's involved in a little subquest, revolving around a chicken (it's a pretty hilarious sidequest...:D:D).
Oh, and I will join you later on at the festival. This is actually the first festival I've been a bit social with my fellow bards...;) So see ya there! And I didn't see a poem yet. Still working on it?

A mage and a chicken??? :shock: LOL :D That sure sounds.... ahem... unusual :D Not that I think I'll get anywhere near that - suddenly all hell broke loose in RL and I'm off to Belgium Monday/Tuesday - there goes my game time :(
As for the festival - well, I'm really no good at making verses and all. This time I'm but a guest :wink: But if it runs for a while longer - t'would be nice to swap a few posts. Give me some stats on Aglanor though (email perhaps - since we don't have visible profiles anymore :roll: alandriel_e-torc@yahoo.co.uk) A bit of info upfront always helps :wink:
Alandriel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aglanor » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:57 am

My e-mail's t_van_der_velden@hotmail.com. I'll mail you later today about it. Basically the RP character Aglanor is not much different from me. I've never actually used him, except for Bard Festivals...:roll:

And you don't come near Holland on Monday/Tuesday by any chance? :Q
Aglanor
Mariner

Postby Amarie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:22 am

I beat the jellies! :D:D:D Now, I just have to find the books. *Lumos*
Amarie
Mariner

Postby TheDean » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:35 am

Books?? Oh you mean the ones that improve your stats? Hehe..there is one in area where you rescue Duneheir..or did you mean the BG books...which I don't recommend. There are some yucky things happening there I tell you...

The Dean
TheDean
Rider of the Mark

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:32 am

I think she means the book you have to bring to the ghost of Ullcaster, which can be found somewhere in the dungeon (pile of bodies if i am not mistaken) :)

Still going strong with IWD2, absolutly love it so far, been under siege and now attacking an orc encampment guarding a bridge. :D
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Amarie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:46 pm

TD, I mean the lost Ulcaster books. :D But as Maeglin said, I guess I'll have to go poking through nasty carcasses. :P *wrinkles nose in disgust*
Amarie
Mariner

Postby TheDean » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:03 am

HELP!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I am having difficulty in the maze beneath the Thieve's Guilt in Baldur's Gate. More to the point, with the skeleton warriors who seem to be TOO powerful to defeat and they keep deciminating me. Usually, I hide/drink invisibilty and walk my party past them but I really want to kill them. Any suggestions?

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Thanks!

The Dean
TheDean
Rider of the Mark

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:19 pm

My advice, wands of electricity and fire (dont remember if both work). And try to seperate one from the other, by going with a thief to one (sneaking) shoot arrow at him and try to make him follow you. If i remember correct though there were two traps, so be careful.
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Darklon » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:43 pm

Do as maeg said + mass summons ... I found out that with summons any battle that might seem impossible becomes a very easy one while summons are getting the hits send in your wars make mage cast few cool spells and watch the enemies die ... :twisted:
Darklon
Rider of the Mark

Postby Calma » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:13 pm

I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this question, if I am in the wrong place, please forgive me.
I was at my local Fred Meyers today and I saw the RPG *Morrowwind* plus it's two expansion packs all in one box for $29.99.
I would like to know if that is a game worth purchasing.
I am currently playing NWN and have all three modules. I like it very much. Is Morrowwind close to NWN?
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Exar_Kun » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:45 pm

It's pretty far from NWN, almost uncomparable.
Where NWN is viewed from a topdown view where you can turn the camera around your character, Morrowind is viewed from either first person or third person view.
Where NWN is a quite linear game (you're always on one big quest, and have a couple of sidequests, and you can't move on to the next area until you've completed the current one), Morrowind is total freedom.

In Morrowind, you start out on a ship, you're arriving on land and when you check in at 'customs', you give your information, and with that create and customize your character. You are given a scroll and asked to deliver it to someone. From there on, you're on your own. You can choose to deliver or not deliver it, and you can join dozens of guilds in the process, each with their own quests.
The world is HUGE, and the expansions only make it huger. You can go anywhere you like, at any time (given that you have the proper amount of cash :P). There is an active modding community, which allows you to download plugins and add-on's to the game to make your Morrowind world even larger.

NPC's in this world react to you in accordance to your reputation (In NWN it was only the choice between evil and good which made the difference in reactions, here YOU shape your character and define him/her with your actions).

So, it's not quite the same. There is almost the same skill system, with leveling and stuff.
In any case, you either love it or don't like it. Some like the directional guidance and others like the total freedom. I don't think there is any demo for you to try, so you're just going to have to do with the usual mouth-to-mouth-handed-on experiences :D

I will tell you one thing though: I don't have extensive experience with Morrowind, so this was all that I could think of on the game ;)

Hope it helps :) (And if you like what you hear, the $30 is definitely a good deal!)
Exar_Kun
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:11 am

Thanks for the info, Exar_Kun!
It sounds like a very interesting game.
I am seriously considering getting the game.
Thanks again!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:21 am

Darn in all that time no one posted any questions anymore about BG/NWN :(

*sigh* this used to be the best Game thread and my favorite :(

About Morrowind btw, I am right now downloading it and the add ons are to be found online too.

I have hesitated many times to buy it as i dont like first person RPG's, or atleast not the idea of it, and i was/am still affraid it is to much Hack & Slash.

But since free downloading doesnt hurt , i might aswell try it, now just hoping i will get it correct, and i saw 2? add ons for it aswell. :)

Thanks for your description Exar, it explained a lot for me too and it sounds interesting, especially how free you are.
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Aglanor » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:41 am

Whatever Morrowind is, it's not heavy on the hack & Slash. A lot of talking to people, and weighing options. Also character customization is very sweet. And yes, there's "Tribunal" and "Bloodmoon" as expansions...:)
Aglanor
Mariner

Postby drieske » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:49 am

Thought I'd drop in again, to see what is happening on the RPG game-side, hello :D

Ah Morrowind, heard about but haven't seen screenshots yet. It does sound interesting!! Where do you guys & gals find the time to play all these games? I'm even afraid to say so, but I'm still roaming the BG-realm ooh lol :oops:

Since I didn't install the Tales of the Sword Coast the last time I played it, I'm discovering new areas HURRAH, like the Werewolf Island, which I have just finished. It was really lovely to walk into the unknown again, hardly daring to move around the corners lalala.

That ship, that awful stranded ship! The first level was lively, the second was easy, but the last one, the top one. Had to reload many many times untill I was able to get out alive and in one piece (more or less, perhaps a few chunks of meat were left behind ;)). And when I finally made it, I sat very quietly and stared at the screen LOL, and then a broad smile crept on my face, and my hands flew to my cellphone to sms my victory eh Maeg? ;):D

Made it through the underground maze too, although there must be a lot of flies buzzing over the corpses of the slain werewolves. So now I'm back on the mainland, talked to the chieftain... and now he can't talk anymore I'm afraid. But the question I have is this: I'm still dragging a doll, a baby and a corpse around, little quests that the werewolves in manshape had given me... such a waste of XP, but I'm afraid I'll be eaten alive if I try to give them back. Shall I just drop the items and walk on happily towards Durlag's Tower now? I'm a ranger, level 7.

There's also a shop in that little place where's no shopkeeper around, and downstairs there's a cellar with a big red mark on the ground and 4 fake doors. Think I've seen a battle take place there (Maeglin, was that you?), or maybe I even have been fighting there myself, I can't remember.
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:28 am

ok some spoilers now.

The house with the big red mark, indeed a battle will take place there, but only AFTER you totally finished Durlag's tower, then you got to return to that place.

The doll and corpse should have been given back before people turned into werewolves, doesn't give much xp anyways so just drop them, also the flowers.

And your not "still"playing, it is just to much fun and it is a ageless game. And it is always great to discover new areas. Durlag's tower is one of the toughest challenges though, so prepare :twisted:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:01 am

LOL after a terrifying new short movie ingame, I'm standing outside Durlag's Tower now, staring in awe at the imposing structure.
Left the doll, the babe and the body in the bedroom of a house hehehe, couldn't leave them lying around in the cold somewhere :doh:

"One of the toughest challenges" eh Maeg, thank you very much for these promising words rofl, have the feeling this chapter in my BG-carreer is going to take a long long time 8) Everytime I dare to face a big challenge, then next is already straining at its leash to capture me asap ;)

Baldur's Gate is indeed a great game, have been playing it for years (!!) now and it's still so much fun, especially with these new areas. I like the riddles, the characters, the conversations and even winning over bears and wolves to my side is fun :P

Still I always favour some classes, no matter how much fun others are. Do you have the same? And although I like to play with a mage's spells, I would never choose to be one as my main character. Perhaps because I like fighting with my swords too much :lol:
Cleric is getting to be very interesting imo, after starting with fighter and ranger, and ofcourse druid :horse:
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:09 am

Yes, I had the same with spells, but after finishing BG countless times I learned that there are many cool spells out there.

I used to never use spells like , charm, skulltrap, fear etc but mostly resort to offensive spells like magic missiles, flaming arrow, poisonous arrow etc. Yet now i know many spells are cool.

I played once a mage, and didnt like it, then i tried it again but this time i made two characters, a paladin and a mage, with that i finished BG1, and together with you BG2 and alone again Throne of Bhaal.

Durlag's tower is the toughest challenge in BG1, not as battle but as area. Toughest battle comes after that, compared to that battle the battle with saravok is peace of cake :P

Actually a cleric is very interesting aswell, never played with one as main character but might be worth it. I prefer spellcaster types in BG2 as you got more spells though.
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:20 pm

Hmm I mostly use haste, resist fear, dispell magic, magic missiles, remove curse, summon animals or other thingies, and ofcourse healing lol, lots of healing spells :lol: And indeed, the more I play, the more I'm experimenting with those spells, in combination with my rangerfighters :D

Ah man, that paladin was awesome, or was it the mage? Think the paladin battled the beholders while I was playing cards with the rest of the gang in BG2? And the mage has slain that dragon while we were taking a deep unvoluntary nap ;) Soon Maeg, soon I'll have my ranger ready and tip top *hugs*

Okay, I have arrived safely in Durlag's Tower, although I seem to have missed the grande entrée of the official tour :|
The skeleton, the friendly one, refused to talk to me, so I'm roaming the stairways that lead upwards. So far I have battled ghouls, ghasts, skeletons and a ghost-mage, and disarmed traps, found some treasures. But I've already heard that the real big fun starts on the lower levels of the keep, so down down down the stairs ;)

Am too tired now, so I'll go to bed and leave the adventures for tomorrow. Thanks for listening to this BG fanatic :)
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:18 am

Make sure you went all the way up, there is not to much there but lots of XP and items to be found, as suggestion if your totally done up, go one level down, and then go out and sell your items at the guy at the entrance of the area. Then go back in, as you will find so much and you wont be able to take all with you, so make sure you get rid of unused things :)

I was wondering, did you found all special books? If so, we can wait a little till you went level up and play bg2 again but now with your character very strong too, and i hope i can find my thief :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:19 am

Okidoki thanks for the tip, will sell my unused things as soon as I'm sure which ones I can miss: have some potions that I'm dragging around with me but don't use. I even have ward/rune-stones from earlier quests :? plus double weapons. Have a little trouble deciding which weapon is better than the other. If I can't figure it out, I'll post it here.

Yep, I found special books, yesterday a tome of wisdom. My rangerstats are: strength 19, dexterity 20, constitution 17, intelligence 10, wisdom 20, charisma 13... so I'm wise and strong, but extremely blond it appears :P
Btw, I still have your saved game here on my pc, was that the thief you are referring to?
Three of my party are on the verge of leveling up to 8: Kivan, Ajantis and myself. Imoen is level 9, Dynaheir level 9 and Viconia level 8.

Are there more playing BG out here? :)
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:31 am

Some months ago ALandriel and Griffon were busy playing, but havent seen them anymore :(

Try indeed to get rid of potions which for instance protect against fire or feeblemind, spells can do the same and they dont take slots. And ofcourse not to many arrows :P

I think that is the game yes, I am not sure if i exported my character though, if so could you do that and send it to me?

You do that by starting my game, click on my character, then export (type a name) and then send it to me, you can find it in "characters map"in the BG folder :)
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:48 am

Killed the nymph in the top level of the Tower without trying to lure a man to take her place. So now I'm outside again trading with the merchant.

I'm not sure if I still need these items:
- Sword of Balduran, 2D4 (+4 against lycanthropes)
- Balduran's logbook
- Butter knife of Balduran
- Sea charts (have two sets of them)

Then I still have some things, perhaps I didn't finish some quests in Baldur's Gate city :roll:
- Andris journal
- Yago's book of curses (from the mage on the ship)
- Skull of Kereph (need to take that somewhere in the city, but don't ask me where)

Dynaheir has 3 staffs now:
- Quarterstaff +3 ~ 1D6 +3 ~ thaco +3 (blunt weapon)
- Staff mace ~ 2D4 +2 ~ thaco +2 (blunt weapon)
- Staff spear +2 ~ 1D8 +3 ~ thaco +2 (piercing)
Which one is the best, and can I sell the other two then? Think I can sell the staff mace anyway, but not too sure about the other two.

And still lots of arrows in my possession indeed haha :P

Will try to extract your thief character Maeglin :)
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:13 am

Ok let me try to help you here by memory.

Keep sword of Balduran.
Throw away the logbook, butterknife and the two sea charts. All no use any more. :P

Andris Journal, if there is nothing of importancy in there, throw away.
Yago's book of curses, a woman in baldursgate, who is sleeping in an in close to the Blushing mermaid asked you to kill him, bring the book to her and she will reward you.
Skull of Kereph, Baldurs gate city, small temple, in the area of the Hall of wonders, a woman will help you there and then quest is done.

Dynheir, staff spear en Staff mace keep those, or if she already has a sling, then put away the staff spear.
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:57 am

Ok guys I really tried :( I really did :cry:
But now I can't hold back anymore, I just HAVE to play BG before making dinner! Dinner? Nooo dinner, it will be bread, so I can play BG asap after dinner :D ;)

To put it briefly: descended into the vaults of Durlag's Tower now and conquerred the first level. Died the instant I set foot on the floor, but the second try had more succes heh.

The second level is sooo interesting, I'm enjoying every minute of it. There are nice puzzles, phase spiders, skeleton warriors, ghouls, ghasts, and ofcourse traps all over the place. Looking forward to solving the riddles! I've arrived at four dwarves who are totally drunk it seems, they say the weirdest things ;)

Maeglin, again thanks for your advice :) will finish the Yago & Kereph-quest as soon as I'm back in the city of Baldur's Gate!
Too bad I can't sell the logbook, butterknife and seacharts; I can see they are worth GP, but the merchant won't buy them. Perhaps I'll take them with me anyway, and try to sell them later. If I find more interesting and valuable things in the Tower, I'll throw them away though.
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:06 am

Due to you I am all excited again about playing BG2, lol, seems we keep on being addicted. :lol:

Good luck in that tower, you will need it :twisted:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:54 am

mutters "I HATE THOSE PIXIES!!!" :bang:

They are not cute anymore, after solving all the riddles and quests on that level. I keep dying over and over again.

*goes back to the muttering and reloads* ;)
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:09 am

Awww you can't even handle 4 hobbits? :P

:twisted:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:52 am

I guess I can't :lightening:

Although there's some progress: at least one of my party survived, two got pulverized and three died a horrible death, but the remains were still visible.

The monsters I'm summoning drop dead on sight, the potions' effect disappears before they can blink their eyes, and those smurfs keep on coming. But at least now I know they can get a 'bit' damaged too :twisted:

So onwards with the goat (yeah yeah, dutch proverb :P)

*sigh* :roll: Durlag's Tower lalala
drieske
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Games (Tolkien and More)