Baldurs gate , Icewind Dale, NWN thread(2)

From games based in Middle-earth, to the latest MMORPG, first person shooter, or strategy game, come on in and talk about the games you play!

Postby Carnëmerethion » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:06 am

hi Maeglin
i quite liked it, but i'm easily satisfied with computergames :)

i'm playing a rogue now, but i'm having trouble defeating the "bosses"
without a henchman ( i like playing solo). Does any of you have tips or
ideas about how to make him stronger? and is it worth to make a level 20
rogue, for the special feats you get?
Carnëmerethion
Ranger of the North

Postby Mithfindel » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:00 am

I do admit that Shadows of Undrentide was somewhat of a disappointment.

Hordes of the Underdark is a lot better...

...not to talk of online gaming.

(And already laying plans for a NWN2 server.)
Mithfindel
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:11 am

Had the exact same experience with the expansion Undrentide of NWN, much too unbalanced alas. But I had a lot of fun multiplaying Hordes of the Underdark with Maeglin.

These last weeks I'm playing Icewind Dale on my own, and totally enchanted I must say. Encountered a difficult passage which I tried over and over again, being attacked by hordes of trolls and spellcasters, killing my party every time. :roll:

But with a little help from a friend :wink: things got better, and at the moment I'm down to the 5th area of the dungeon.
The surprising thing was that if I keep on hitting a troll, at some point (after laying down for two times) it will "explode" into messy pieces without the use of fire or acid. Do some of my (+1 and +2) melee weapons have hidden qualities, or is this the normal thing to happen?

Just defeated a whole bunch of Juanti warriors, barely made it, so I had to go all the way back to the previous level, so I could finally sleep and get my hitpoints and spells back :zzz:
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:50 am

*beams with pride of being that certain friend* :P

Glad you enjoy it my dear, i really liked playing icewind dale and the expansion as well. And we still got to finish IWD 2 together. :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:07 am

LOL, it took you some tries too before you made it :P
But I was so happy that I finally could go on exploring IWD :D

Remember the part in BG at the end, where I couldn't get through? You have helped me there also :hug:

As long as you keep that nasty big black dragon away from me in IWD2, I'll follow you anywhere over there. Let's finish it, and then start on NWN2. :horse:
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:06 pm

We sure will , I am eager to see what waits ahead of us in IWD2

And it only took me two tries, on the second one i made it :P Was tough and cost me a lot of potions but i did :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:45 am

And out of the dungeon I am ;) Don't think there's any big mean green lizard or any other hostile creature left alive in that big cave! Brrr, huge fights in which I sometimes simply closed my eyes and hoped the best for my band of brave warriors hehehe :D

Went back to Kuldahar and discovered that I have been mislead :cry2:
There was an imposter, posing as a good character, and he misused me for its own schemes...

So now my party has to ride out again... :horse:
btw where are those darned horses in IWD eh?
to save the world, hurrah!
drieske
Mariner

Postby Klonkku » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:31 am

I bought a Baldur's Gate box set yesterday, which contains Baldur's Gate + tales of the Sword Coast, and Baldur's Gate II + Throne of Bhaal.

I have never played any BG before.

I am pretty thrilled. :) I just started out BG ( with a character named Arthaud De Faust, a half-elf, neutral good warrior ), and the game seems pretty awesome so far!
Panic-free for 10 years and counting!
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby Bolg » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:04 am

I have been playing it on and off since Feb. 2006. (BG2, TOB) I used the scripted NPCs for a while until I found out you can make all your own party members, then I started over with the all-original group. Much more satisfying, for me anyway.
Bolg
Shield Bearer

Postby drieske » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:15 am

Klonkku, now you've made me grin big time :D It's so good to see that there are others who like and appreciate those wonderful games as much as I do.

Baldur's Gate is great, and BGII has more beautiful graphics and a great storyline.

Keep us informed about the progress you are making okay? And Bolg (hello btw :) ), do you like BG too?

Making characters on your own always makes my heart beat faster, because it means the start of a new long journey into an adventurous world!!

Have so much fun you guys :thumbsup:
drieske
Mariner

Postby Bolg » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:13 am

Hello, drieske ! A super brief D&D history- I played ( as a DM, over the table ) with the 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms back in the 90's and then quit for a long time; and just last winter I was told the Baldurs Gate series was a winner.

Although I started out with BG2, I would have to agree. :thumbsup:

When I finish up BG2, I plan on moving to NWN. I am always 2 years behind the current PC games so I usually get them much cheaper.

Not to spoil anything, but did anyone ever defeat that Shadow Dragon in the one dungeon ?
Bolg
Shield Bearer

Postby drieske » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:51 am

Can't really remember that Bolg, I'm sorry. Any dragon that I encountered leaves me in that much awe that I instantly forget where I am ;)

And when I get my new pc to work *long long story*, then I'm going to play NWN2!! :)
drieske
Mariner

Postby Bolg » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:39 pm

That Shadow Dragon was un-beatable by weapons or magic, at least for me, but if you had the stone, you could by-pass it.

The first NWN is on sale at around $ 20 in the U.S. I still have to finish BG2. S L O W G O I N G :D
Bolg
Shield Bearer

Postby drieske » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Hihi slow going in games is the only way to enjoy it to the max :P always takes me ages too to finish a game, because I do all the quests available and take breaks from it, trying out other games in between.
drieske
Mariner

Postby drieske » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:54 am

Have slain the big dragon in Icewind Dale's Heart of Winter, so I think I'm nearing the endfight... :)
Does anybody play IWD too?
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:18 am

Hello everyone :)

Bolg, the shadow dragon is not unbeatable. I have done it several times. Much to the dismay of Drieske when we played together i took a particular liking in killing almost everything i encountered. :twisted:

So far the spells "lower resistance" and "pierce magic"work fine on any dragon for me.

And yes Drieske i play iwd :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:47 am

You even wanted to kill the friendly dragons!

Btw have finished IWD and now started playing IWD2 :)
drieske
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:10 am

*tackles Drieske and duct tapes her to the floor*

Please stop by Talk and post to the fallen thread. I would love to see you there and I know others have asked for you as well. :D

:hug:

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Bolg » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:48 pm

Hi, people !, Thanks for the tip about the Shadow dragon, Maeglin, I had tried many times to bring it down and just got eaten alive.

Someday, I will finish BG2, but I have put it on hold for now due to the fact of jumping ship to Morrowind on the PC. For some reason that game has an absurd draw on me, even having played it 2 years ago.

Question-- without checking the reviews, is Icewind Dale 1 & 2 the same animal as Baldurs Gate , as far as graphics, interface, For. Realms setting, etc?
Bolg
Shield Bearer

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:55 pm

Glad to be off help Bolg :)

Must say i never took a liking to Morrowind, especially not with games like BG around hehe.

Icewind dale 1 is graphical wise a lot the same as bg1, plus same rules etc. Realm is totally different and instead of making 1 character you make 6.

Ice wind dale 2 to is the same as 1 but it uses 3th edition rules. Meaning feats, skill points etc. So that is a big difference.
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Bolg » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:17 am

^^ I like the BG series better overall because of the D&D rules and the ability to create your own group.

I like Morrowind for the freedom that is allowed during play, although it can drag and get repetitive at times and lacks in a few areas.

If developers could marry the good points in MW and the D&D world, imagine the possibilities !! For instance, you are in a 1st person perspective, with all the 2nd Edition rules governing play, and your not sure whether you should cast an area spell ? Is there enough room ? Enough time ? Will my NPC be in the way ? :shock:

That would be quite a game...

I think I like Morrowind for what it might have been...
Bolg
Shield Bearer

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:13 am

Hmm what you name now sounds a lot like Neverwinter nights to me. You can change the rules to "real D&D rules"and then you got to be really careful with any area spells etc. :wink:

I must say neverwinter nights 2 (that me and drieske play online) is a bit of a let down. Graphicalwise it is good but it is very buggy and it doesnt always respond that well.

Yet it is still entertaining though.
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:07 am

*when the pounding in her heads stops, Drieske looks up and finds herself glued to the floor*

Well hello and thank you Rwhen, what a nice surprise! :whistle: Can I get up again now? :hug:

Thanks for the invitation, perhaps I will take a look, but for now I'll stay in this cosy little corner of TORC, near my beloved games :)

~ edit: ok I've posted ~ ;)

Bolg, I'm glad to see the dragon spat you out again, did it hurt you? ;)

Hey Maeg *big hug* NWN2 is indeed buggy. Sometimes your character slows down to a near crawl, like (s)he's loaded with 1000 pounds, and then in the next area suddenly you can race again.
In caves the camera can be really annyoing for example, seeing only walls, or not being able to click next to another person so you can walk towards another place. Or not walking through a door, but in stead slamming it shut in your face... but still I like playing with you a LOT :D

Still going strong in IWD2, although the amount of monsters that one encounters is amazing... it takes a while to lure them away from the group one by one, but with that tactic I at least manage to survive... survive and defeat yihaaaa :clap:
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:04 am

Iwd 2 was sometimes a bit to much "hack and slash"for me and it has one of the most annoying end fights as you know. To me, the BG serie was better balanced in that.

But i do admit that it was fun playing the game and that it has very good graphics. :)

NWN 2 is much more fun with two people, atleast both get annoyed :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Bolg » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:24 am

Hey, folks. I did some checking on the NWN website and it looks like it could easily be a great replacement for BG. ( the camera view seems to be the same as BG, ie., a top down view )

What is nice here in the U.S. is that the basic game is only $20.00 or less in some stores.

What is really neat is that it seems like you can make your own modules ? If I read that correctly, then that would be a huge bonus.

Question- Do you have to play 3rd Edition rules or does the game give you the choice like in BG2 ?

When you all play is it on a huge server with many people, or is it just like a LAN game. ( just a few people ) ?
Bolg
Shield Bearer

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:43 am

Hey Bolg, there is a difference with the camera. NWN gives a 3d view, till even 1st person, while bg is indeed top down.

And yes it has an own module maker, works pretty well but ofcourse takes some time.

And it is 3rd edition rules, afaik no choice for ad&d rules.

We play on the internet and you just make your own game and let friends join you. We do it password protected so that no strangers just join in. But there have been times I just joined a random server to see what kind of module they made. :)
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Bolg » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:48 am

That's it, I'm buying it, forget Morrowind, forget studying for my IT class, it's time to get my priorities straight ! :D
Bolg
Shield Bearer

Postby drieske » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Hahaha excellent choice Bolg! You won't regret it, I'm sure :D
drieske
Mariner

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:55 pm

Fully agreed Drieske,

Just make sure you update the game first though, or install any expansions you might buy with it. Will give you additional prestige classes, spells and items.. :wink:
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:16 am

Last night Maeglin and me tried to play NWN2 together, but the game turned so buggy and crappy that we had to stop, to prevent smashing the pc to pieces heh. We have updated constantly.

Who has the same experience with this game? Tips to improve the gameplay? In an earlier post I described the errors.

Thanks in advance! :)
drieske
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Games (Tolkien and More)