All Music Parodies/comedy

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

All Music Parodies/comedy

Postby portia » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:12 am

This is not "Musical Comedies". This thread is for performances of music that is parodies.

The performer who inspires me to start this thread is Anna Russell.
Her most famous piece is an explanation, with short musical snippets, of Wagner's "Ring" cycle. It is very funny and, in the portion on "Gottadamerung" she, quite appropriately, remarks:" I'm not making this up!"

Several of her routines are available on YouTube. Unfortunately, my favorite is a discussion of Giusseppi Verdi's "Hamletto, or Prosciutino." (Anna says:"Giusseppi Verdi never did make an opera out of Hamlet but I'm not for a moment going to let that stand in my way!"). That one is not on YouTube.

Others who might fit in this category are P.D. Q. Bach and Victor Borge. Borge usually played his music correctly (except when he put the sheet music on the stand upside down), but watching Borge accompany Robert Merrill singing "September Song" beautifully, while red and yellow leaves fell on Merrill from above the stage is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. There are Borge videos on YouTube, but not that one.

Any others??

Please mention whether there is a video on YouTube.
portia
Ringbearer

Re: All Music Parodies/comedy

Postby Morwenna » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:45 am

I'm going from memory, not from YouTube. Hubby and I are definitely fans of Victor Borge and PDQ Bach. Hubby turned me on to Anna Russell but I still haven't heard very much of her work.

Borge was on TV a lot when I was a child, so I watched him with my parents. We all loved him.

PDQ Bach has so many funny bits I can't recall them all, but one of the funniest things I know is the play-by-play commentary on Beethoven's Fifth. And BTW, our madrigal group once got the sheet music for the Ground Round; we tried it but couldn't manage it--that stuff is DIFFICULT!! :shock:

I think anyone can write music; not everyone can write parodic music!!

Lyrics are another thing. Almost everyone I know "filks." We all grew up on Allan Sherman and Weird Al Yankovic. (Tom Lehrer too, but he wrote his own stuff.)

But with actual music, there are a couple albums (at least I know of two) wherein the music is various songs from Disney movies and shows and theme parks, but arranged in the style of various classical composers. The albums are Bibbidy Bobbidy Bach and Hi-Ho Mozart. And they're very well done. Some of them ought to have been that way from the beginning!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Re: All Music Parodies/comedy

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Well of course the best parody of of Wagner's Ring cycle remains the Bugs Bunny version. :D
GlassHouse
Mariner

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru