Icelandic music

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Icelandic music

Postby Eriathwen » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:48 am

I'm absolutely in love with Iceland... and with its music. It's amazing that such a small country manages to produce so many interesting musicians. There must be something in the water or in the air there. Then again, it's a very unique corner of the world, so I suppose it's no wonder it inspires creativity in people.

The most widely known are, of course, Björk, and my greatest musical love- sigur rós. But there are many, many more worth mention. múm, for example- they remind me of sigur rós a bit, only their music is much lighter, more playful and innocent. A lovely string quartet Amiina, known mostly for working with sigur rós, but their own instrumental compositions are very beautiful as well. Emilíana Torrini- you must know her from "Gollum's Song" in TTT. An amazing voice, and her music is worth checking out as well. Steindór Andersen, who chants in traditional rímur style- very haunting and beautiful.

I've recently discovered another interesting musician- Eivør Pálsdóttir. She's not from Iceland (from Faroe Islands, actually), but her works are wonderful anyway, as well as her voice. If you haven't heard her, this is my favorite song by her, Trøllabundin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpiFmZLICgM

So, anybody else listening to Icelandic music? Or similar ones from other Nordic countries?
Eriathwen
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Icelandic music

Postby Arassuil » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Hello Eriathwen! I know I'm 2½ years late, but I stumbled across Eivør Pálsdóttir's Trøllabundin while listening around youtube Friday. I started listening to Faun - Egil Saga, which is a modernized (computer-mixing of traditional instruments) style of old German folk.

I'll have to look deeper into Icelandic music!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru