Best use of stereo. Please share links to your favorites.

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Best use of stereo. Please share links to your favorites.

Postby FrodoTook » Sat May 05, 2012 3:21 pm

I have edited this post several times. To add a link to the first song mentioned and for other reasons. :)

Hey yall.

I enjoy the stereo effect of music. Especially in songs I enjoy.

I am old enough ( now 58 ) to remember music when there was no stereo. Mono music did sound great to me but stereo definitely took me to a higher plane.

I fondly remember the very first time I heard a song with head phones on and enjoyed the stereo effect I heard. . The song was A Gadda Da Vida..by Iron Butterfly

The drum solo starting at 6:25 and going on further is especially awesome stereo to me. 8) Please take the time to dig it. There is a "hiss" in the recording, which is OK with me. I remember that "Hiss" fondly. LPs had that sound..especially after being played quite a few times. The Angry Elephant sounds at 14:02 really scared me the first time I heard it.

Ever since then I have taken thought to and appreciated stereo music..with that "side to side" thing I hear. The Beatles ,Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin definitely made great use and took full advantage of stereo to enhance their music for me.

I hope many of you see this thread and share thoughts and links ( or at the least song title ) to songs which you find awesome in their use of stereo.

For right now, I share ZZ Top..I Heard It On The X which I think has some awesome stereo.
Good grooving, foot tapping music for me.
Just close your eyes and dig the sounds.Image

Anyway, I really do hope you share what you think are great examplesof the use of stereo in music...cause I really wanna hear it. 8)

By the way, I really do want to hear something new to me...

from those younger or older or the same age as me.

That should welcome everyone to share.
:)

Please...turn me on to your stereo music.

Last edited by FrodoTook on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 13 times in total.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Lily Rose » Sat May 05, 2012 7:45 pm

If you are into prog rock, then anything by Rush sound great in stereo. :)

Here's a classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZru4JG_Uo

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKBLSkN2sRk
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Sat May 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Thank you so much Lily Rose

Welcome to the messageboard. :) I see you have been here for a bit and do want to say it is nice to meet you.

Lily Rose wrote:If you are into prog rock, then anything by Rush sound great in stereo. :)

Yes, I am into Prog Rock and I am enjoying your second share right now as I type. The first one I had heard before, but your second is brand new and I thank you so much for sharing both of them. 8)

Very enjoyable.

Speaking of prog rock, with very enjoyable stereo,Yes..Long Distance Run Around is a great hear..in my opinion. I go on a very good "trip" in this one. :)

Yes..Starship Trooper is so fine as well to me and I hope it is new to you. Or, at the least, you have not heard it for a while and enjoy it again.

At 5:40, the sound goes completely to the right side then blends back so smoothly to the left and then balances.

So very cool.

Then it goes back and forth...left to right...with an absolutely awesome guitar solo starting at 8:30

All the way to the end...Glorious.

===============

Ok, I am reminded of one more for now...

I just love the use of stereo in Led Zeppelins ..What is and should never be.

Throughout the whole song. The instruments and Plants voice..the stereo is awesome. My favorite part starts at 3:30 till the end...It is GRAND and will always remain one of my all time favorites. It is really glorious to me and takes me to a very good place...every time I hear it. :thumbsup:

-----------

Another of my many edits...

Here I go again.

LZ..In My Time Of Dying
is the one I was thinking of when I mentioned LZ earlier. 3:48 thru 7:14 can't get much better in my opinion. This tune peaks me then keeps me turned on till the end. I hope someone takes the time to click the link, listen and respond.

Please yall...share more.

Thank you again Lily Rose for posting and sharing.
Last edited by FrodoTook on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 23 times in total.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Arassuil » Mon May 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Great choice of songs there! Yes is pretty awesome, though I haven't listened to them much of late. And those two tracks are a couple of the Led's finest!

Songs i like that have some Good Stereo effects:

Rush - Rivendell - A nice mellow tune of Middle Earth.

Joni Mitchell - Songs Of Aging Children Come - A nice vocal reverb, which is more of a z-axis stereo effect maybe? Always loved this song of Joni's, and thought Tigger Outlaw's version in the Alice's Restaurant movie was quite touching.

Yes - Heart Of The Sunrise - One of my favourite Yes Songs! The three & a half minute opening is quite intense!

Led Zeppelin - Thank You - They go over the top with the stereo effects at the end, but through the whole song there is some different guitar tracks on each side and the drum tap to the left.

Pink Floyd - Welcome To The Machine - From the album Wish You Were Here. This song was always one of my favourite headphone stereo effects songs. As for their album Dark Side Of The Moon, I don't think I have to say anything about this album... (awesome stereo effects!)

The Doors - Not To Touch The Earth - One of their best of their great song catalogue. The stereo separation with the organ to the left and the guitar to the right, with the drums and vocal centered. Simple but effective!

The Cars - Moving in Stereo - The effect is even in the name of the song! Of Course 'All Mixed Up HAS to be played right after!

Godsmack - Serenity - Subtle stereo variations in the album mix. I love this song on the headphones.

Adalita - The Reparer - Again, subtle stereo effects by tracking a slightly delayed guitar reverb a little stronger on one side than the other. Love this song!

Gotye (and Kimbra) - Somebody I used to Know - Yes, this 2011 smash uses simple instrumentation and stereo effects to accentuate the wonderfully powerful vocals and lyrical content!

I could go on and on, but am getting long here. I'll close saying it's fun to wear the headphones reversed to get a subtly different mental take on old favourite songs!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Lily Rose » Mon May 07, 2012 9:06 pm

I just love Rush's Rivendell. Fly By Night is likely one of my favorite Rush albums, next to Hold Your Fire. The mood of those albums is superb! Oh, and pick a track, they all sound good in stereo! 8)

I love the interesting instrumentation in Somebody I used to Know. It is almost as fascinating as the vocals.

Here is something a little more today!
This is Within Temptation's Shot in the Dark, from The Unforgiving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLz61g0JLxQ[/i][/url]
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Tue May 08, 2012 11:29 am

Thank you both so much Lily Rose and Arassuil for sharing.

I have more to say after listening to your links but for now do want to share an alternative to Arassuils' share which I appreciate very much. Thank you Arassuil.

Here is Rush-Rivendell..with lyrics. I found it cool to read the lyrics for the first time while listening to this song. Very appropriate for TORC.

I will comment further soon.

Thank you both so much. I am enjoying this thread.

I still want to hear more songs new to me and hope Lily Rose, Arassuil and many more of you share tunes I have never heard before or have never fully appreciated. 8)

Please keep on sharing.

I definitely have more to share...but am holding back...for now. :wink:
Last edited by FrodoTook on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Tue May 08, 2012 5:09 pm

Arassuil wrote:I'll close saying it's fun to wear the headphones reversed to get a subtly different mental take on old favourite songs!

I heard you Arassuil.

Thank you. I want to try it now. :)

You remind me of the times ( quite a few of them ) when I inadvertantly hooked up my speakers in reverse order and found the music still OK.

Some of my friends said.."That doesnt sound right".

But they never said it sounded bad.

I will now advertantly ( on purpose ) switch my ear buds to hear the subtle difference.

I realise I might sound a bit silly to some..but I am being quite serious. :lol:
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Tue May 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Still listening...

Arassuil

Your Aging Children from Alice's Restaurant is VERY GOOD.

I was pleasantly surprised to find your Led "Thank You" link led to
Ramble On

Quite possibly their best use of stereo.

Ya definitely hit the nail on the head.
All the way through the end. Best appreciated VERY LOUD.

Thank you.

Very much.

Whole Lotta Love ain't bad neither.
Last edited by FrodoTook on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Tue May 08, 2012 6:54 pm

While walking down a path I got close to the edge. I stumbled a bit but recovered before I fell in the river. Further down the path, I saw some sheep.

Then I came upon an outdoor theater in which there was an indoor passion play and saw "a dog barking up the wrong tree" which definitely caught my interest. I sat down and thought..."I have done the very same thing"

I was late in getting home, but the delay was well worthwhile. The dark side of the moon was full and showed me the way.

I will see you there for "afternoon tea" tomorrow...afternoon. :)
Last edited by FrodoTook on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 24 times in total.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 pm

I have blabed enough..

I am now saying thank you to Arassuil
for sharing The Cars - Moving in Stereo which I am listening to and enjoying very much right now as I type.

You are definitely right Arassuil. This is awesome use of stereo.

Thank you.

edited to say..I am now listening to Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra) - official video which is brand new to me and I am enjoying it so very much. It really is great with ear buds. :)

Thank you for sharing something new to me. 8)

That is why I started this thread...For me to hear new stuff.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Lily Rose » Wed May 09, 2012 1:16 pm

This is quite an entertaining thread!
I am learning a few new songs, as well. I was brought up on classic prog rock, such as Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush and King Crimson, but now, I love all kinds of rock, especially European symphonic metal. Some of my choices may be a bit unusual, lol.

That being said, another Canadian band that heavily influenced what I listen to now is Dream Theater. Images and Words was their second album and contains some beautiful stereo friendly classics.

Metropolis Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaQpC4HuJ5M

Take the Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Lo4D3h4uU&feature=related

edit: FT, I just noticed that you are in SC. I live there as well, about 20 minutes west of Myrtle Beach!

Despite the recent join date, I am not a newbie, but an oldbie recently returned after a 7 year hiatus. The name was the same, but with Took at the end.
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Postby Arassuil » Wed May 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Cool! I'll have to check out Dream Theater. Thanks Lily Rose (Welcome. or re-welcome!). There was another Canadian band I bought a CD of from the used trades shelf of Rockinghorse Records called Triumph. The album is called Playing The Game. Didn't know anything about them but I took the punt. Its pretty good, and there is a fold out gameboard about making way through the music business.

On the stereo front... The Who - Magic Bus from Live At Leeds is one if the best stereo-mixed live songs I've heard!

Frodotook, I seem to have a need to watch the Alices restaurant movie again.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Thu May 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Lily Rose said...

This is quite an entertaining thread!

Your comment makes me happy. :)

I was so hoping some cool people would join in on this when I started this thread and turn me on to new stuff and also remind me of music I had not heard for a while.

I am learning a few new songs, as well.

That is the reason I started this thread. To hear some new cool stereo stuff..with the side benefit of sharing what I find cool and feeling the joy of sharing with others.

I was brought up on classic prog rock, such as Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush and King Crimson

Same here and it is way cool for me to meet a kindred spirit who can so relate.

now, I love all kinds of rock, especially European symphonic metal. Some of my choices may be a bit unusual

You say "a bit unusual". I, too, lol at myself. :lol: I bought a LP back in the 70s which was just dedicated to the sounds of "machines"...just because it was recorded in stereo. :)

FT, I just noticed that you are in SC. I live there as well, about 20 minutes west of Myrtle Beach!

Cool. I live just south of Myrtle Beach..in the quaint city of Surfside Beach. 8 city blocks from the ocean. I can walk to the ocean in around 8 minutes and get to see the Atlantic Ocean every clear day as I head home. I am very thankful Surfside Beach has ordinances against the random cutting down of trees and that it doesn't let highrise buildings be built. In Surfside Beach, there are lots of trees and birds and it is so nice to be able to see most of the sky.

Garden City, on the other hand.... :wink:

Despite the recent join date, I am not a newbie, but an oldbie recently returned after a 7 year hiatus. The name was the same, but with Took at the end.

Thank you for letting me know Lily Took

Welcome back. You are cool to share thoughts and music with. 8)

==========================

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (1973) [Full Album] remains one of the best uses of stereo by any band..in my opinion.

Money - Pink Floyd HD (Studio Version) in particular.

That being said and listening to my shares, I will now listen to your recent shares. :)

But before I get to yours, I am now listening and posting to 8) Arassuils shareMagic Bus-The Who (Live at Leeds)

Absolutely awesome Arassuil. It is sounding GREAT and I thank you so much for sharing it.

As said by Arassuil.

Cool!!!

I concur. 8)
Last edited by FrodoTook on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Thu May 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Lily Rose was after LilyRoseTook

I went looking for you and did find Lily Took. She shared only one post here on TORC. But I found she is not you. :)

Again..welcome back.

Listening to and enjoying Metropolis Part 1 "The Miracle And The Sleeper" as I type.

Very cool. VERY AGGRESSIVE.

ATTACKING MY EARS

I AM LOVING IT

Thank you so much LilyRose for turning me onto something new. 8)

I am..ELATED. :)

Bring on more yall.
Last edited by FrodoTook on Thu May 10, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Thu May 10, 2012 3:44 pm

FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Lily Rose » Thu May 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Wow, it is amazing how small this world is! I live about 30 min away from you in Conway. During tourist season, closer to 2hr, lol. 501 is a perpetual parking lot from April to November :roll:.

More music to come! I have to search my brain for more good stuff.

Edit:
I remember when I used to be in love with Axl Rose, lol!

Since we are on the subject of hair bands, this is one of my favorites

Livin' on a Prayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDK9QqIzhwk&ob=av3e
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Very nice Lily.

I have not heard "Livin' on a Prayer" in quite a while and am enjoying it again right now.

Thank you.

Very much. :)

Glad you enjoyed the GNR link. :)

Conway is definitely not far away. It is indeed a small world sometimes.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu May 10, 2012 10:37 pm

This song by Louise Tucker always brings me to tears. Unfortunately, it was oveshadowed by a less talented Melissa Manchester song of the same title.

This song with its haunting lyrics and melody were unmatched until Enya came along:

Midnight Blue

Remember Fangface?

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby FrodoTook » Thu May 10, 2012 10:41 pm

Arassuil wrote:The Doors - Not To Touch The Earth - One of their best of their great song catalogue. The stereo separation with the organ to the left and the guitar to the right, with the drums and vocal centered. Simple but effective!

Definitely effective. Your description made me pay more attention as I listened and I enjoyed it in a very new way.

Thank you Arassuil 8)

Very cool.

Subtle can be profound.

===========

edited to say Hello to my friend Cock-Robin 8) who posted while I was typing a response.

CR it is grand to see you again. We have shared many loving thoughts of The Beatles. It is good for me to see you in this thread. Thank you for sharing that beautiful tune. I enjoyed it..very much.

Please share more.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Lily Rose » Fri May 11, 2012 4:00 am

CR, thank you for sharing! I had never heard that song, before. It gave me the chills. 8) Very cool.
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Tue May 15, 2012 3:33 pm

Hey Lily Rose

I hope the recent bad weather which ran through Conway did not mess with you. I thought of you when I saw the Tornado warning and hoped you and yours were OK.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Lily Rose » Wed May 16, 2012 11:37 am

Thank you :) It did get a little scary here, but it was nothing that we couldn't live through. With it pouring for 3 days straight, our yard is a swimming pool, lol! As far as I know, there was no tornado related damage.
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Postby Lily Rose » Thu May 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Tai Shan, again from Rush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8j6frjHyp4

Jacob's Ladder, of course from Rush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnkwhHOjv-4
This is probably my favorite tune from this band

How about something a little different and heavier?
Symphony X, Evolution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc62kCsDT9M
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Postby Lily Rose » Thu May 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Sorry to apparently be a triple spammer...
The first two tracks are from Blind Guardian

Nightfall in Middle Earth is based on the Silmarillion
These are the most stereo friendly tracks..

Blood Tears
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXCVAkQ27UE

Time Stands Still at the Iron Hill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXCVAkQ27UE

and then, here is some of that weird European rock that I mentioned

Nightwish
The Islander. This song gives me the chills every time I hear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2sd8prUMUaIk

Listen. Enjoy. Provide more links. I'm loving it.
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Sat May 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Enjoyed your Rush.

I wish your Nightwish / The Islander link worked. I wanted to hear it.

Your one of my kind 8) You gave me a moment. I found your moves so raw you made me sweat. I'm not sleeping..yet. :)

What ya gonna do? Gonna live your life!!!

You hit me on the head with a hammer. I could be a bumper car or I could be a honey bee. :)

I admit I am so crazy. Just because. SO K.

Back to the subject at hand..good stereo.
Last edited by FrodoTook on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Lily Rose » Sat May 19, 2012 7:07 pm

That was a trek down memory lane...
I remember all of those tracks from when MTV used to play music videos. 8)
Um...right, more music
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Sat May 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Hey Lily :)

I wish your Nightwish / The Islander link worked. I wanted to hear it.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Sat May 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Hope yall enjoy some Poco.

Tonight I'm gonna break away

Crazy love happens sometimes and wraps around your heart, but everytime I hear this tune..I break away...to a very good place...with very fond memories of crazy love.

Ironicly and joyfully, Just you wait and see... is the positive vibe to me.

Grand stereo music and lyrics for me.

While I am here...being a Three Time Loser. One who never learned. 8)

I remember when I was back in school
The teachers always wanted me to learn the rules
But I was studyin' girls on Friday night
I said if I could learn this, everything's gonna be alright

You see, first time love, I was too young
Second time, I was left holdin' on
Third time's a charm, but I got burned
Three time loser will never learn

I grew up and I thought that things would change
Got more mature, but I guess we stay the same
But I still believe in a starry night
And I keep on waitin' for the one that will turn out right

You see, first time love, I was too young

Been down one time
Been down two times
Been down three times, burned
First time loser, second time user
Third time, you'd think that I would learn
But I won't learn

Been down one time
Been down two times
Been down three times, burned
First time loser, second time user
Third time, you'd think that I would learn
But I won't learn

First time love, I was too young

First time, I was too young

I hope you dig the lyrics and the pedal steel guitar a bit as much as I do.
Last edited by FrodoTook on Sat May 19, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Sat May 19, 2012 10:56 pm

I have been around the world but I have not yet seen the southern cross.

But have heard of it.

It sounds great to me.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Lily Rose » Sun May 20, 2012 10:26 am

Sorry, I will fix the link for The Islander later today. I have a final due in about 6 hours that I need to finish.
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Next

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru