[music] Symphonic Tales of the Silmarillion - movements

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

[music] Symphonic Tales of the Silmarillion - movements

Postby pzi » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:22 am

Dear TOR members,

First of all, this is my first post here, so greetings to all.
Recently I've become interested in composing and producing music inspired by the Silmarillion as a form of fan art contribution to the topic.
So here's my first and second movements I've done so far in this huge undertake concerning creating symphonic hybrid music inspired by chapters of the beloved The Silmarillion book.
The first track is called 'There was Eru, the One', and works around the topic of the God of the tolkienesque world, his first thoughts, and the Flame Imperishable. Starts of with a fanfare part, goes to an emotional first part where the God's thoughts are concerned with the yet to be created beings and things and his Love for them, then goes to depict musically the Secret Fire that moves the living beings of the world to be born.

The second movement is called 'Let These Things Be, Part 1', and is about the further happenings of the Ainilundale (still not till the end of the chapter, which will be covered by the third movement).

Have a listen, I hope you like it, and I'm really curious about your opinion, constructive criticism. Thanks!

You can have a listen anytime on the free listening platform SoundCloud here:
1st : THERE WAS ERU, THE ONE https://soundcloud.com/pal_zoltan_illes/pzi-symphonic-tales-of-the-silmarillion-i-there-was-eru-the-one-classicalepicfantasy
2nd : LET THESE THINGS BE, Part 1 https://soundcloud.com/pal_zoltan_illes/pzi-symphonic-tales-of-the-silmarillion-ii-let-these-things-be-part-1-classicalfantasytolkien

Thanks for your attention,
p.
pzi
Petitioner to the Council

Re: [music] Symphonic Tales of the Silmarillion - movements

Postby White Shadow » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:05 am

Welcome to TORC, pzi! :)

I've only had a chance to have a quick listen to your two compositions, but they do sound rather lovely. Did you make them using synthesised orchestra? (I don't really know how to describe it - it could be my sound system on my computer, but it sounded a little synthesised, and it had me wanting to hear it as a live orchestral version, which I see as a compliment to your composition.)

I'm going to move this thread into the Music forum, because I think it is better suited there and also more people will see it. I look forward to hearing more of your music and once again, welcome.

~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby pzi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:28 am

White Shadow wrote:Welcome to TORC, pzi! :)

I've only had a chance to have a quick listen to your two compositions, but they do sound rather lovely. Did you make them using synthesised orchestra? (I don't really know how to describe it - it could be my sound system on my computer, but it sounded a little synthesised, and it had me wanting to hear it as a live orchestral version, which I see as a compliment to your composition.)

I'm going to move this thread into the Music forum, because I think it is better suited there and also more people will see it. I look forward to hearing more of your music and once again, welcome.

~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator

Thanks for the listen, the feedback, and kind greetings. Much appreciated!
Yes, it is created with using sophisticated sample based virtual instruments of symphonic orchestral instruments.
I wish I had the opportunity to get this through a real orchestral version, but it has very little chance that's going to happen :-)
I try my best to mimic the original sounding of a real orchestra, but it's a tedious work that requires a lot of details to take care of, layers and tweaking of parameters and expressions.
So if it sounded synthesized only - as you described - a 'little', then I think I reached a good standard and also reached where my limits are at creating a real sound of a live orchestra. :D
Although, before doing the mastering of these tracks, if the material gets whole, I'll have another round at tiding up the small details to have a bit more real sounding (I could have used a lot more type of expressions on the different instruments), but first I want a material that is more or less complete and with integrity, then take the time to polish the material to a releasable state.

I'm still thinking about how to proceed, what the next movements should be, and probably i'll gather the different groups of Valar (warrior type male Valar, other-worldly male Valar, females) that fit together in character and thematic and create movements for these powerful holy ones, that created the face of Arda, while confronting Melkor and his minions, before the Elves and Humans (and Dwarfs) came.
pzi

Postby pzi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:57 am

Also, maybe you referred with the word 'synthesized' to the Synthesizers I used in both tracks.
That's an intentional addition and choice of instrumentation to the Symphonic Orchestral nature. I've given an explanation earlier to someone regarding the usage of Synthesizers in these tracks, which is the following quoted from myself :)

''...
As for the synthesizer I took the liberty of a creative decision to try to imbue the intriguing sound of some synthesizers for more than one purposes (I'll party quote my composition diary that I write online about the process):
"So slowly the two parts, major and minor were done, and also (forgot to mention), the heavy Loom additive synthesizers were already added to symbolize the Void, the Mechanical magic of the Tolkien universe that is yet to be born through the will of Eru and also through the mightiest Ainur Melkor who turned bitter and evil soon later. (Yet this deep mesmerizing synthesizer is just a signal of what is yet to come in the complex history of Arda, Earth)."
As I interpret, everything Melkor becomes is part of Eru's intention, and giving the value of freedom of choice, and discord in the coming universe. This mechanical instrument for me symbolizes the industrial, mechanical machinery of the evil that is yet to seemingly derail the creation of the living world, Arda. I was thinking much about including it or not, but finally decided for the modest use of it.
I don't plan to use it too much, just to create some aspects of the complex sounds and wave forms that otherwise would be impossible to create with pure symphonic orchestration yet might serve a purpose of meaning in the creative process.
..."

As a side note, all other instruments (except these 3 different additive synthesizers), are (virtual) orchestral instruments sampled from real instruments by the note, by strength of the note and by the expression of the note.
pzi

Postby White Shadow » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:58 pm

pzi wrote:Also, maybe you referred with the word 'synthesized' to the Synthesizers I used in both tracks.

No, I was referring to the orchestral instruments. I realise of course that you didn't have access to a full orchestra and that's why they sounded synthesised - because they were. It wasn't a criticism, merely a comment. Followed up by the thought that I'd love to hear it live. :)

I wish you the best of luck in your ambitious project. Are you planning on composing for the whole Silmarillion book?

~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby pzi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:04 pm

White Shadow wrote:I wish you the best of luck in your ambitious project. Are you planning on composing for the whole Silmarillion book?

Well, I can't yet tell where this will end, Silmarillion is an endless source for inspiration.
At the moment I've started to work on portraying the greater Valar of Arda, so from story telling changing to some themes for the different characters of the Valaquenta.
Then will decide how to go on.
pzi

Postby pzi » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Dear members,

After a while, finally the next episode in the series is ready.
I've moved from the storyline of Ainulindale to the Valaquenta part, and decided to depict episodically one vala at a time for now.
The first one in this portraying is "Ulmo, Lord of the Waters"
You can find it here: https://soundcloud.com/pal_zoltan_illes/pzi-symphonic-tales-of-the-silmarillion-iii-ulmo-lord-of-the-waters-classicalepictolkien
Every comment and critique is highly welcome!!
Hope you enjoy this somewhat bitter, yet deliberately woven with majestic and powerful parts, that I think characterizes Ulmo, the Vala who chose to live a lonely life, did not stride on Arda on foot, and approached the living in a dreadful form to behold. Yet one of the most hated by Melkor and one of the greatest rival of Melkor. Power, grace, dread, and much majesty.
All the best,
p.
pzi

Postby pzi » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:02 am

The progress is steady paced so far, yesterday I was able to finish the fourth piece.
It's depicting Manwë, King of the Valar
Consisting of three major ideas/parts. Every comment much appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/pal_zoltan_illes/pzi-symphonic-tales-of-the-silmarillion-iv-manwe-king-of-the-valar-classicalepictolkien
pzi

Postby pzi » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:33 pm

The fifth piece 'Elbereth, Queen of the Stars' is now complete and available on SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/pal_zoltan_illes/pzi-symphonic-tales-of-the-silmarillion-v-elbereth-queen-of-the-stars
pzi

Postby pzi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:32 am

The sixth movement 'Melkor, The Dark Lord' is released.

On soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/pal_zoltan_illes/pzi-symphonic-tales-of-the-silmarillion-vi-melkor-the-dark-lord-classicalepictolkien

The image is fine work by Sarah AS. from deviantart
pzi

Postby pzi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:00 am

pzi

Postby pzi » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:40 pm

pzi

Postby pzi » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:06 pm

pzi

Postby Tucholsky » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:48 pm

Hey PZI
The whole album sounds very great. May I ask how you did the singing parts? What is meant with "synthesizers" ? Is there a special program with a name i can google?
I am uploading my own orchestral peice concerning the Silmarillion at the moment. I am really exited that yours sounds VERY difficult to mine, because this gives me a lot of inspiration!
Which Composers do you like/ get your inspiration from? Because it does not sound like Wagner :D
Here is my litle peice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uelkd4CeWYk

It's the first music of mine which has ever been published on youtube, I am so exited
Tucholsky

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru