Metal Militia: Spreading the Disease

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Postby Arassuil » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:02 pm

Recently heard a bit of Black Sabbath and was quite delighted. :)
I went into Rockinghorse Records yesterday evening and some dark, familiar music was filling the place.
Took me a bit to realize it was Hand Of Doom. :)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Grimmodhr » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:13 am

Ah Black Sabbath the first metal band I got into :angel: many many moons ago. The first metal single I bought was Paranoid with Snowblind on the B Side the cover has the wild maniac brandishing a sword classic stuff :) Hail Arrisuil Hand of Doom is indeed a great song.

Canamarth what are thoughts on Mortiis? Not metal but I do quite like his take on industrial goth. And he used to play bass for emperor I read a review of some of his earlier albums that had been rereleased, and it said there was "Tolkien inspired artwork" From his album "crypt of the wizard" Something I wouldnt mind checking out at some stage :D
Grimmodhr
Shield Bearer

Postby Malrid » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:28 am

Totally love metal in every form.

Black Sabbath are awesome beyond belief, especially songs like NIB, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and War Pigs.

But I also digged the Dio years a lot, Heaven and Hell is such an epic song and album, though I think to the average listener people think of sabbath and think of Ozzy straight away.

I am getting into more death metal bands like Amon Amarth who I adore totally, got four of their albums and the music is just fantastic.

Folk metal is another big genre I have been indulging in a lot with bands such as Korpiklaani (Who the most fun band I have ever seen live), Ensiferum, Turisas... I think it's such a weird combination but it works so wonderfully and I am glad that we have this form of music, which appears to be gaining a lot of popularity.

Got to say my favourite band ever is Motorhead, they are just straight up heavy hitting, uncomprimising, hard rock (Which verges on metal now and again but Lemmy says they play rock n roll and who am I to argue with God?) They have not changed for anyone in over 30 years and continue to tour relentlessly and play louder then a lander 747!
Malrid
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Grimmodhr » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:45 am

Hail Malrid, I agree about the folk metal genre its an interesting take on metal mixing traditional folk with metal I really like Korpiklaani ive got Korven Kuningas which is a cracking album its great like to get more of their stuff :D Finntroll are another band id like to hear have read interviews but havent yet heard them. Do you like Alestorm pirate metal from Perth their pretty good too :) im also into Nightwish I love their music its epic awe inspiring also from Finland just like anything to do with metal :)
Grimmodhr
Shield Bearer

Postby Lasse-lanta » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:51 pm

Talking abt metal on this site, I must warmly recommend Blind Guardian, album Nightfall in Middle-Earth ... Guys are totaly into it ..
Lasse-lanta
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Grimmodhr » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:53 am

Im familiar with Blind Guardian but not with their output, Im sure ive heard them on Terrorizer cds but havent got any of their stuff :) Also The Summoning are really into Tolkien too and from what I can make out of the Video I have on a Metal Hammer dvd so are Battlelore from Finland their really good :D
Grimmodhr
Shield Bearer

Postby Lasse-lanta » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:55 pm

Will check ... but I must shamefully admit that I listen to heavy sound today less than half as much as I used to .. gettin' older :)
Lasse-lanta
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Grimmodhr » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:29 am

Battlelore & The Summoning are definetly worth looking into, theres a whole load of bands from Finland that have a folky influence ive got some Finntroll coming so Il let you know what thats like too :)

Me to am getting older but im showing no signs of mellowing just yet:D :D
Grimmodhr
Shield Bearer

Postby Ayslhyn » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:53 pm

I retain a fondness for Judas Priest. Excellent band. I recommend the albums :Stained Class" and "Unleashed in the East" the latter is a fantastic live album.

Good stuff :wink:
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Grimmodhr » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:11 am

Judas Priest are metal squared\m/ British Steel is another classic the only one ive got is Sad Wings of Destiny which is a pretty good Priest album :)

My Finntroll album came the other day Ur Jordens Djup, its an execellent album mixes Folk with Black Metal im well impressed its great stuff I strongly recommend it :D :D :D :drink:
Grimmodhr
Shield Bearer

Postby Canamarth » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:06 am

Lasse-lanta wrote:Talking abt metal on this site, I must warmly recommend Blind Guardian, album Nightfall in Middle-Earth ... Guys are totaly into it ..

Hail and well met, Lasse-lanta. That album is indeed great. Love the passages where Morgoth speaks to Sauron. :)

:hihi: Grimmodhr
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Grimmodhr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:05 am

Hey there Canamarth :) Did you manage to get to Wacken in August? I havent read any metal mags in ages so I dont know how it went :)
Grimmodhr
Shield Bearer

Postby Canamarth » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:05 am

Nope, didn't go. But I heard from a friend (whom I unfortunately couldn't talk to for very long) that it rocked. :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Grimmodhr » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:33 am

The line up did look pretty impressive :) I should like to go someday or Tuska in Finland that has a good line up every year ive looked on the website and I was most impressed :D :drink:

The nearest I got to festival was I bought Live Inferno by Emperor it has DVD of their show at Wacken in 2006 its awesome a truly great band :)
Grimmodhr
Shield Bearer

Postby Arassuil » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Ronnie James Dio is battling stomach cancer... May he work through this ok.

Think I'll go listen to some Rainbow!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Grimmodhr » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:22 am

Its a shame to hear that Ronnie James Dio has cancer I hope hes okay too :) I really like the stuff he did with Rainbow especially Rising thats an epic album :D
Grimmodhr
Shield Bearer

Postby b5c » Sat May 01, 2010 10:23 pm

Thank god there is a Metal thread and it's a bit dead. :(

I go by this quote:
b5c
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Grimmodhr » Sun May 09, 2010 1:40 am

[quote="b5c"]Thank god there is a Metal thread and it's a bit dead. :(

I go by this quote:
[img]http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/8/81/BlackMetalCoffee.jpg[/img][/quote]

That picture is brilliant couldnt have put it better myself :D :D
Grimmodhr
Shield Bearer

Postby b5c » Sun May 09, 2010 9:33 am

Time for some Black Metal before I go to church! :twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9cqKafnUrk
b5c
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Canamarth » Fri May 14, 2010 7:03 am

:rofl: I like milk in my coffee - or better said, some coffee in my milk. But I'm also a big softie when it comes to metal. :)

Having my eye on the new Coheed & Cambria but the luxury edition - with a book (as in novel) is not available at the moment. :(
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Grimmodhr » Sun May 16, 2010 1:13 am

Have recently added some more Finntroll cds to my collection Nattfodd, & Trollhammaren. In a two disc set and their new album Nifelvind they are all superb I love Finntroll's music :D :D :D :D :D
Grimmodhr
Shield Bearer

Postby Canamarth » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:23 am

Finally bought the Coheed & Cambria big edition but haven't had time to even open it. :roll: Might post something on the content once I get to it.

Might actually make it back to the Rock im Park Festival this year. Last year there was only Rammstein I really wanted to see (Muse and Rage Against the Machine I'd also enjoyed but had already seen). This time we're already looking at System of a Down, Kings of Leon, Mando Diao, Korn and Social Distortion. Will see who else they'll be adding over the next few months.
http://www.rock-im-park.de/
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi all, I'm Manya.

I've recently returned to the board after about 7 years' hiatus.
Trawling some of my old haunts on here while listening to Blind Guardian's 'At the Edge of Time' sent me in search of the metalheads I felt sure must be somewhere.
And I have found you!

I listen to a lot of different genres but the main contenders are usually thrash, black, power and old school stuff like Iron Maiden. Major bias toward Euro stuff.

Hailing from Australia you can bet I don't get to see many of the bands I really like, but one day I'll get overseas...

Anyway that's enough rambling on in a thread noone will probably post in for months :D

Just nice to see some metalheads here!
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey there Manya. Sometimes it doesn't take months. ;) Great to see you making your way in here.

What about AC/DC then? I know they're not touring at the moment but I'm sure they did gigs in Australia. ;) Saying that - I've never been to a Blind Guardian concert - but saw AC/DC live at the end of the 90s. :twisted:
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:53 am

Haha, well met!
Weeell I believe we're meant to classify AC/DC as rock or Angus Young gets angry :P But no, I haven't seen them, though I hear they're pretty good live. Come to think of it I don't really know why I haven't listened to them much...

I think a Blind Guardian concert would be pretty awesome, and they are coming to Aus next month, but not to my neck of the woods (which has made me very sad because I'm a poor student).

Sometimes I'm surprised at the bands that do make it here - Alcest is coming soon (and tickets are only $30!)

(OT: Thanks for the Welcome in the Welcome thread!)
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 am

You know, I'm very bad with putting music in these categories - especially since they've invented all these subcategories (glam, trash, black, nu, death, core, alternative, doom, power, speed ... ) that are doing my head in. :oops:

You're welcome on the welcome. :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:12 am

Yeah the over-categorisation that goes on amongst metalheads can be annoying. Though the basic subgenres are helpful - thrash, power, black, death and classic. Beyond that a simple 'sounds like this band' usually will suffice.

I wonder - do people here listen to much metal that is inspired by the works of Tolkien?

Manya
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:56 am

I used to like Blind Guardian a lot and have most of their CDs up until Nightfall in Middle-earth. I still listen to songs from that album and a few select from before that if they come up on random on my iPod.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Eowyns_elvish_sidekick » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:32 am

Completely forgot I ever posted in this thread!
I'm procrastinating on writing an assignment and trawling the boards :)

In metal news, I'm going to see Amon Amarth in a few days!
I've been on a massive folk metal binge recently, but they're the first interesting band that's come along while I've had money.

~Manya~
Eowyns_elvish_sidekick
Ranger of the North

Re: Metal Militia: Spreading the Disease

Postby Canamarth » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:31 am

How was the concert? (If you still remember after all this time, that is ...)

I managed to buy a second Dir En Grey CD - The Marrow of a Bone. The CDs are usually quite expensive in my neck of the woods, but that one must have been on sale or sth. Quite like their eclectic style.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru