Metal Militia: Spreading the Disease

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Re: Metal Militia: Spreading the Disease

Postby Yavannië » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Wow this thread seems like just the right place, but it doesn't seem to have been very active lately. That's a real shame - I'm always on the prowl for new discoveries.

Canamarth, have you sold your soul to Spotify yet? I did last year, it sure makes life easier (especially with a quality pair of headphones; my ancient computer don't really have speakers to speak of, but with a headset music sounds loads better)

Dir En Grey was completely new to me, had to check it out just to see what it's about. Quite interesting - judging by the two songs I've listened so far.

and Amon Amarth, I'd love to see them live! Guardians of Asgaard is my favourite :happydance: [ <-- I wish I knew how to make that moshing emoticon, but eh...]
Yavannië
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:08 am

Have not made my way to Spotify yet, Yavannië. If the fancy takes me to listen to music while at work, I usually switch on a webradio station that has an Alternative live stream.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Yavannië » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:45 am

Oh yeah, that's the problem with spotify - we have these blockings on our work computers, so that you can't download any new programs yourself. SO i'm only able to use spotify at home, which is a shame cause my job is such that i can easily listen to music while working. (well it's a good thing there's still youtube and "full album"-videos, as well as web radios :D )

And oh-oh, i just found out that Alcest is performing live in my hometown (in January, but still :happydance: )!! hmm, i guess it's not strictly metal, though, more like post-metal and shoegaze, so maybe i shouldn't post these happy news of mine here :P
Yavannië
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:42 am

Yavannië wrote:Dir En Grey was completely new to me, had to check it out just to see what it's about. Quite interesting - judging by the two songs I've listened so far.

Same here on Alcest. :) And I have been known to talk about bands that are not really/totally metal in here as well. I think we can get away with it. =:)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Arlaug » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:05 am

How have I not seen this topic before?
Since I just plugged in some Alcest, I have to say they were my major revelation last year. Absolutely amazing; alongside Agalloch one of those bands I am obliged to listen to more.
Any Insomnium/DT fans? Last.fm-er ringbearers?
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Canamarth » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:13 am

I'll say hi, Arlaug. Glad to see you in here - though the metal fans are not very active recently ...

I have no clue on the bands you mentioned but am willing to check them out. :)

Just last week I discovered a Disturbed album (Ten Thousand Fists) in my car and have been listening to it on my way to the train almost every day since.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Arlaug » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Oh wow. That brings me back four years and in time I also had a revelation of Disturbed and Dave's vocals. One of my faves is definitely http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLgPNilXHM4, a song that has helped me out in many different occasions.

As for Insomnium, I have been a hardcore admirer since 2009./ early '10. right after listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onX5b4F7_k4
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Canamarth » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:26 am

The melody in the link your provided reminded me a lot of Blind Guardian, though the undertones are far darker. Thanks for sharing, Arlaug. :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby BoM » Mon May 02, 2016 4:42 pm

This thread still active?
BoM
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:50 am

Has anyone listened to new Be'lakor and Insomnium? :D
Arlaug
Shield Bearer