Metal Militia: Spreading the Disease

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Postby Lysandros » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:57 pm

Ace Ventura, hahaha. Now I am feeling old. (Not as old as Moonbiter, but old enough!:P) Some friends and I did Hammer Smashed Face for an air-band back in high school (a loooong time ago) because we figured since the song was in the Ace Ventura movie it was a death metal song that at least folks might recognize! :D

Cannibal Corpse are a MASSIVELY overrated band. As are Napalm Death. Gimme the Tomb or Dismember any day.

New Bloodbath album is pretty good. Not as good as the Chaosbreed album "Brutal" but that is probably because Bloodbath are unwisely trying to forge new ground in circa 92 Stockholm death metal, which is ridiculous since it is 2004. Face it Swano & Co., you are a retro novelty, don't pretend you aren't.

Of course you can't really blame Swano, Bloodbath sells better than anything he has done since he left Edge of Sanity, including that travesty that he calls Crimson II. I'll never forgive him for that one....Crimson I just might have been the last great first wave Swedish DM album.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby GlamdringsFire » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:32 pm

i'm back! hopefully for good now!

and i am quite prepared to be informed in the realms of metal. though i am not ignorant about it by any means, i still have a long way to go!
GlamdringsFire
Rider of the Mark

Postby Filthgrinder » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:18 am

Hurrah 500 posts for me!

Was supposed to see Behemoth, Incantation, Krisiun and Ragnarok last night but for some unexplained reason they left the venue 2 hours before theywere due to play, boo!!

Oh well, DIAMANTHIAN gig on Sunday and SUFFOCATION on the 5th Nov :twisted:
Filthgrinder
Rider of the Mark

Postby Monoceros » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:12 pm

Congrats!!!

I've got A Night At the Opera - Blind Guardian. err, umm. overwhelming. But I like D&W work better.
Monoceros
Ranger of the North

Postby Lysandros » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:16 pm

Filthgrinder, if you were at the Manchester show, here is your explanation.

Behemoth tour manager Joey Severance has also released the following statement:

"Hello Folks, I am Joey Severance, the tour manager for Behemoth, Krisiun, Ragnarok and Incantation. Many people are wondering why I cancelled the show in Manchester and I am here to tell you what no one else will. Simply put, touring in the UK sucks and here is why. With the EXCEPTION of our good friends Jon at The Underworld in London, H at Emerald Promotions in Ireland and Kelv up in Glasgow at the Cathouse, pretty much British " promoters" don't give a pickle jars about the bands. This is NO OFFENSE to our British friends or the British people, but the "promoters" there have to start treating the bands like people and NOT LIKE animals. We were scheduled to enter the building in Manchester at 5pm.......(this late entry was in order not to feed us. TYPICAL when you come to play the UK) Anyway, that time came and gone and we were still waiting to get inside the venue at 5:30....again, this time came and gone. Finally AFTER 6:00 when I realized that no one was going to answer the door and let us in, I gathered my boys and we left. Now this did indeed inconvenience some people, but at the end of the day, someone has to say enough is enough. I wont even get into the trouble we had ENTERING THE UK due to the incompetence of the "promoter" who was to handle the Work Visas for the bands. In a nutshell, the customs agent looked ME straight in the eyes and said "I could deport you right now" Anyway ladies and gentlemen, when we are on tour there are certain expectations that need to be met. We are not arrogant people and we don't expect much. What we DO expect is that when we arrive we are fed, our rider requirements are met and we have the things we need to make the show work. I can tell you that EVERY tour I have ever done in the UK (with the exception of the people-places I already mentioned) have been NOTHING but problems. When you tour the continent and arrive at a venue, catering is out and waiting, towels are out and waiting, stage water is out and waiting. When you tour the UK......you have to fight to get this pickle jars. That's not the way things are done. So, for the fans in the UK, if you wonder why a lot of your favorite bands don't tour there often, I'm willing to bet my very last Euro that this is why. On behalf of Behemoth, Incantation, Krisiun, and Ragnarok, I would like to say that we regret that we had to end things the way we did.....BUT with that said, let me be the first to tell you, if I am ever in this situation again with any other band, you can best believe I will cancel faster than a New York minute.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Filthgrinder » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:28 am

Yes I was in Manchester!

Behemoth have also now apologised so it's not so bad now!! But still the 80 mile round trip was a bit of a pain! :(

Diamanthian gig was very good! Can't wait for Suffocation on Friday.
Filthgrinder
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lysandros » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:35 pm

Have fun at Suffocation Filthgrinder, should be a classic and classy show. My brother is trying to get me to go down to Minneapolis to see HIM, Monster Magnet and Auf Der Maur (as in the lady who used to play bass in Hole). I said no thanks. I don't even know what HIM is but his explanations did not sound encouraging.

New Enslaved, oh yes!
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Lysandros » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:08 am

I am hearing rumours that a Black Sabbath DVD might come out. Ordinarily I would not really care, not being a very big Sabbath fan (sure, I know the hits, maybe even have a few records)...anyhoo, the thing is it was apparently recorded this summer on the Ozzfest Tour when Ozzy took sick. And of course we all know who filled in live; none other than Halford. How cool is that (if this rumour is true)? The Metal God doing Sabbath.

I think I would buy that before watching Ozzy shamble all over the stage.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Filthgrinder » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:46 am

The Halford/Sabbath thing was indeed true!!

Behold

http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=28819

Suffocation were AMAZING, just simply AMAZING!!!
Filthgrinder
Rider of the Mark

Postby Moonbiter » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:31 am

Hi gang! Just back from a 3 week vacation fishing in in Mauritius. 8)

Halford sang with Sabbath during a monster festival in Alpine Valley back in the early/mid 90s, when then Sabbath singer Ronnie James Dio and Ozzy sat backstage whining about who would go on first. Tony Iommi just cut through the nonsense, phoned Halford at home, and the Metal God was there 2 hours later, doing a show that, according to Iommi "was like he had been singing with us for 10 years." Now THAT is a pro!

Tomorrow it's Rammstein-time! :twisted: 8) :lol:

As for idiot promoters in the UK... oh yeah! They're so spoiled with bands over there they think they can get away with everything. It's funny, because many bands can't even be bothered to go there anymore because of the competition. Looking at a list of what is happening gig-wise in a city like Glasgow, Nottingham or London on ANY night of the week is just mindblowing, and many bands feel simply drowned and that they're ignored because the fans have so many things to choose from. And let's face it, breaking the Brit market isn't all that important anymore. As Norwegian metal bands have proven, there is a fantastic audience in Europe that is far more important than the spoiled Brit punters. Why play in a shoebox in Camden with no lights, no food, crap equipment and noxious promoters/personel when you can play a 5000 seater in Germany or a 10 000 seater in Poland and be treated as royalty?
Moonbiter
Ranger of the North

Postby Lysandros » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:00 am

Why play in a shoebox in Camden with no lights, no food, crap equipment and noxious promoters/personel when you can play a 5000 seater in Germany or a 10 000 seater in Poland and be treated as royalty?

No kidding. Here in my city is a bit like that. The club owners are a bit shady etc. And there is no real good venue for metal bands to play. You have a few tiny bars that only hold 250 or 300 (and if you plug in wrong you have a good chance of blowing the power out) and the next step up is an old theatre that holds waay to many people for most "underground" bands given the market here. Incidentally Moonbiter, you will like this perhaps. The theatre I mentioned was recently re-christened "The Burton Cummings Theatre" in honour of Winnipeg's most beloved son and ex-frontman for the Guess Who. The man has like 3 things named after him in this town now. :roll:

Related to venues, I picked up the Dismember DVD and in the 80 minute documentary it is hilarious to see the different venues they play. Tiny clubs some nights, then an enormous hockey rink in Poland. Apparently in 92 when they were there (and today for all I know) the kids were so poor Dismember gave their fans all their Polish money after the show. But the documentary is stellar (though in Swedish with subtitles). Seeing the old footage and the classic songs really took me back to those days. I might have been a zillion miles from Stockholm, but it was really something back then. The live concert portion is excellent. No new material from Where Iron Crosses Grow, but you get lots of songs from the debut record and basically the strongest tracks from the rest of the releases. Heartwarming moment: the front row is all like 13-16 year old kids. They know all the words to "Skin Her Alive". They were in diapers when that damn song came out but they know the words! Things like that keep the devil's fire burning in my blackened heart. ;)

I am just not into the new Rammstein record. (We are living in Americaaaa.....bah) I want to see the videos though. Rammstein make the best videos I have ever seen.

My goal this week is to sit down and get familiar with the first two Dio records. 8)
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Moonbiter » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:28 am

Lys, will you stop it with "old" thingy! :P :lol: Leave that to my wife, willya? :roll:

I don't like the Guess Who, and Burton Cummings is a twit. I'm a BTO fan, and other Canadians I like includes Helix, Kick Axe, Rush and Triumph. So there. (and now I sounded ancient again...)
The new Rammstein album is a marvel of modern day metal, spanning so many genres it's almost frightening. It sort of sums up everything about metal, IMHO. It's also refreshing that they've dared to broaden their horizons and not do a surefire rehash of "Mutter," though that would probably have suited fans with a lesser attention span better. I have the incredible luck to be invited to a post gig party tonight, which I'd never expected, though the band is famous for mingling with their fans after the shows.

I've been listening to a lot of new stuff lately, to see if anything strikes my fancy. Bands like Chimaira, Avenged Sevenfold and Mastodon. Being in danger of sounding like an old fogey again, I'm nevertheless proud to say that none of them cut it. Oh, the latter displays some truly awesome technique, but to be honest, bands built solely on widdly-widdly was and still is completely useless in my book. And what's the point of consciously trying to cram as many genres as possible into your music? Time has proven that the only result is that they crawl up their own Valley Of Shadows and play to a small, anal audience, while complaining that "nobody understands our music" or something like that. :roll:
Brit metalers Dragonforce are pretty cool for all of 30 minutes at a time, with a guitarist that could give Van Halen, Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen a thrombosis. It's an incredible relief to hear something like that after a decade+ of exceptionally samey sounding Nu/BM bollocks.

Back to the good stuff, the new live album from The Wildhearts "Strikes Back" is definetly my Yuletide party album of the year. Ginger and the boys have been the finest hard rock band in the UK for over a decade, after The Almighty messed everything up by trying to be Dorkvana, and this one is solid proof. Music to make the coming season festive indeed. :)

The two first Dio albums? ROTFLMAO!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, young sod, it's about time! If I may make a suggestion, head for the local secondhand store and get them on vinyl. The CD versions truly don't give them justice. Still, you don't get True Metal much better than that. The Metal Midget was and still is amongst the greatest Voices ever. I can still (and here I go again) get goosebumps remembering the band hitting stage on the "Holy Diver" tour, emerging from a pyramid-shaped stack of Marshalls to the awesome riff of "Stand Up And Shout," thousands of hands hitting the air with the "evil eye/devil's horn" sign, all denim, leather, studs, bullet belts and beery howls. Oh maaaaaan, THAT was the true Spirit Of Metal. Period. :wink:
Moonbiter
Ranger of the North

Postby Lysandros » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:08 am

Lys, will you stop it with "old" thingy!

Never dude. :lol:

I don't like the Guess Who, and Burton Cummings is a twit.

Never come here then, I think he will be our next mayor. Apparently all he does these days is sit in a coffee shop in a somewhat crappy part of town and harass people with his reminisces of fame, and open new landmarks with his "stirring" renditions of Oh Canada. I think he is opening our new hockey rink this month....no word if he has stolen Celine Dion's devil horn sign yet...

bands built solely on widdly-widdly was and still is completely useless in my book.

Don't check out The Dillinger Escape Plan then. I did since the are often mentioned around Mastodon. I guess that is mathcore and it makes Mastodon sound like My Dying Bride. Thoroughly unlistenable. I might of known though, if Mike Patton (Faith No More, Tomahawk, Mr. Bungle) likes it, it will surely suck. I revere the man's stuff with FNM, but he has lousy taste.

I ran across a Wildhearts live record last week, but I think it is older...from circa 97 or so. HAven't had a chance to sit down with it yet. I have not been listening much to the Rock lately. They have been getting a bit of press over here though. Things might finally be on the up and up for them in North America.

I will see about the vinyl for our favourite pint-sized dragon slayer. I think Holy DIver is now out in a remastered edition, but maybe I will check out some record stores tonight to see if it is around.

Good luck at Rammstein Moonbiter! I have heard that they are phenomenal live, as one might suspect of a band with such excellent visuals. Do you still do the moshing thing? The last few shows I have seen here it has all but disappeared, not that i am much for it anyways....not since I took a pretty good belt at a Nashville Pussy show. :wink:
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Filthgrinder » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:42 am

All that you two said about UK gigs was completely true!!!

Bad venues/promotors!! VERY bad advertising!! It's a mission to get details of gigs!

What have I been doing....

Suffocation were amazing yet again but support band Desecration were tedious as usual!

The next jaunt is to see Dismember :D How apt eh Lys? And it will be in a very small venue in Leeds! Should be a good one though with Anata supporting too!

I saw Rammstein a couple of years ago and was mightly impressed with the stage show!

Odd news today, Maniac is out of Mayhem and Atilla is back in!! :shock:
Filthgrinder
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lysandros » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:19 pm

I am pretty disappointed with the Mayhem news. Maniac wasn't really great but Attila is worse. I can't stand his vocals on De Mysteriis... But it is definitely weird that after all the speculation not too long ago, and all the denials, now Attila is suddenly back. Maybe after 10 years he has gotten better! :D

I am damned envious Filthgrinder. I'd love to see Dismember one of these days. But alas, not likely. I was reading that they are pretty picky about tours nowadays as they all have to work straight jobs to pay the bills. Man, I am not in a band, but I can still relate to those bills. What a drag. :(
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Monoceros » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:40 pm

Rammstein are said to visit Moscow on 27-28 of November.....

Oh, Eru, why I'm not living there?
Monoceros
Ranger of the North

Postby Numtelpion » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:41 pm

I think everyone has their own stories about bands from their hometown...My own spawned Garbage and Bongzilla, and that's about it. There are occasional thrash and grindcore shows, but no big metal bands ever come, and certainly no BM. Madison's more of a punk town, so I've seen The Business, Rise Against, and a few other moderately well-known bands...Well, Gwar came, but they're too pickle jars, in my mind, to be called either punk or metal.

I'm not a Mayhem fan, so the news of a new singer doesnt mean a lot...I did just get all three Aborym albums, tho, and Attila sings for them, so I'll have to give them a listen.

Does anyone like Vinterriket here?
Numtelpion
Shield Bearer

Postby Lysandros » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:13 pm

Whoa, my bad. Lettin the metal gospel go unspread and allowing this thread to tumble down so low without an update. :oops:

I have not much to report in metal news. It appears Motley Crue are going on a reunion tour if that floats your boat. I saw them back in 1990 and they were amazing, though I was like 12 at the time. I would notpay top dollar to see them, but I am curious as to whether they can still do it after all this time and this many overdoses.

Right now I am in retro heaven, chillin to Amorphis' mighty Tales From the Thousand Lakes.

And for guitar nerds out there, I picked up some GHS Boomer strings endorsed by Zack Wylde; some sort of special kind for drop tuning. I have to say they play detuned as crisp as regular strings in regular tuning. Pretty tough to play them tuned up to E; but they play that Swedish death metal very nicely. Would it be wrong to get another guitar just for that? :lol:

And Moonbiter, the Dio is pretty righteous. Sometimes it hovers a bit too far into 80s cheese excess, but mostly it is awesome. Great metal pipes on the guy. Who would have thought that Viv Campbell would go on to play in the pathetic post-Steve Clarke Def Leppard?

Has anyone heard the new Therion "Lemuria/SiriusB" record? I am really digging the live album but have not heard the new record(s) yet.....

viva metal.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Rebraal_Mercuun » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:59 pm

"Metal Militia for your sacrifice." I don't suppose you've reached the 9 and 1 thousand yet, but here is another metal fan, recently joined.

When it comes to music, I just don't think it's possible to beat the old skool. Metallica are the ones that introduced me to metal and remain my favourite.Black Sabbath are also great. The majority of my music collection is dominated by hard rock, but it isn't that far from metal, and like i said, Metallica are my favourite.

Well, yeah, just thought I'd introduce myself.
Rebraal_Mercuun
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Moonbiter » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:11 am

Hah! Welcome to the asylum. Don't worry, there's some spotty dweebs out there who thinks anything non-black and made before 1990 isn't metal, but you'll just have to ignore them like you ignore the guy with the straw hat, coveralls and drool on his chin who sits on the village fence pickin' his nose. :lol:

Mötley Crüe and a re-united Accept has been confirmed for Sweden Rock Festival 2005, and the tickets are bought. My general rule is that there has to be at least two major acts worth travelling 12 hours in a bus for, and this year we get Dio and Saxon as well. Oh, and Lys, WE GET HELIX!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moonbiter
Ranger of the North

Postby Lysandros » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:11 am

Helix! Hahahaha.

What ya got?
ROCK!
What ya gonna do?
ROCK YOU!

The video for that song was very popular here back in what was it, 84 or 85? I must have seen it a hundred times.

I am not sure how I feel about the Crue re-uniting. I have heard that Tracii Guns said that the new Crue single is awful (he used more colourful language). Not that Mick Mars was ever acrobatic (like say that dude from Poison) the man just had his hip replaced. All I can say is that when you see them Moonbiter, Tommy Lee better do a drum solo! When I saw them they had a drum kit on rails suspended from the arena ceiling and it went around the place while he laid down like a 10 minute solo and tried to get everyone to sing Ballroom Blitz. You folks who have not seen the Crue can have no idea how cool it actually was. ;)

Sounds like a great line-up for Sweden Rocks, Moonie. Though the lack of a headlining act of sheep-savaging Norwegians is disturbing.

Monoceros: How far are you from Moscow?

Well, I did manage to get the Lemuria/SiriusB records by Therion and I have to say that it has ousted Holy Diver from its 2 week spell in my car's CD player. I am completely impressed and now plan on sifting through the back catalogue. The album SOUNDS expensive and there is no doubt that Therion's use of a real live orchestra is monstrously more effective than Cradle of Filth's complete mess and DImmu Borgir's somewhat better effort last year. No expense is spared and you get 100 minutes of music for the same price as a 40 minute Hillary Duff cd (I know because I bought one for my little cousin for xmas:P). The packaging is elegant with superb artwork, which for me, in this age where I could just download the thing for free, is an important consideration. I won't spend money on something a record company won't make appealing with good packaging or multimedia bonuses. This double-effort is easily going to push into my top 5 list for the year and man, if you took the best stuff from each disc and squished it onto one it might have a run at top 5 of the new millenium for me. Great stuff if you like classic Maidenism, mild cheddar, Mahler and Celtic Frost.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Moonbiter » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:08 pm

This morning I woke up to the horrible news that guitar hero Dimebag Darrell of Pantera/Damageplan has been shot and killed on stage in Columbus, Ohio. :( :( :( :( Of course it had to be there.
The first really great musician to be killed in public since John Lennon, during the dreary 90s Dimebag was a rare diamond in a mountain of manure. R.I.P
Moonbiter
Ranger of the North

Postby Lysandros » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:02 pm

It is just too horrific to really believe this could happen. The man was one of the kings of his craft and all he ever tried to do was make music people could love. There is no way to understand something like this. My heart goes out with all other fans of metal to Dime's family and friends.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:25 pm

I was shaken by the news.

Metal doesn't have to 'be' this way, man. It just doesn't.

Hi everyone, hope all is well.

~ B
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Moonbiter » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:30 am

Hiya Bard!:) Where have you been?

What I find astonishing is that it doesn't happen more often! What, with the nutcases this music attracts.
Moonbiter
Ranger of the North

Postby Monoceros » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:09 pm

Lysandros, I'm over a country away from Russia, i.e. there is one country lying between mine and Russia. But anyway, I didn't count exactly. It takes 3-4 hours by air. I hope I'll watch Rammstein on mtv Russia. :wink:
Monoceros
Ranger of the North

Postby Menon » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:31 pm

Bardy here. :roll: I forgot I was in this ID.

Where have I been? Over in the Pony Forum, mostly. :)
Can't hang about, sorry to say. :(
Just had to post my misgivings about what happened.

Cheers!
Menon
Shield Bearer

Postby Filthgrinder » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:58 am

I was just so shocked and saddened :(

I signed the official book of condolence at http://legacy.com/Guestbook.asp?Page=GuestBook&PersonId=2905037

Such a loss.

I was glad to hear that Dime will be buried in a 'Kiss Coffin'!
Filthgrinder
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lysandros » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:09 am

What I find astonishing is that it doesn't happen more often! What, with the nutcases this music attracts.

There's some truth to that. With hindsight there are so many times that things like what happened with Pantera and their breakup have gone down.

One thing that leaps to mind is the dramatic redrawing of Metallica when they released the Load record. New sound and a new look that a lot of old fans were real angy about etc.

And I believe it has come out that Nathan Gale was a paranoid schizophrenic as was Mark Chapman.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby PerdeMoltoSangue » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:38 pm

Hey all, thought I'd drop in, seeing as I'm rather obssessed with metal myself. :)

It was shocked and saddened to hear about Dime's murder. You just don't expect this sort of thing to happen to your heroes. And over something as trivial as Pantera's break-up? :(
PerdeMoltoSangue
Citizen of Imladris

PreviousNext

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru