Metal Militia: Spreading the Disease

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Postby PerdeMoltoSangue » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:43 pm

Wonder if anyone heard about this:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=28951

I don't know what I find more bizarre, Gorgoroth playing in San Salvador, or the band's quote "the audience got so ecstatic over the presence of the first black metal act visiting their country that the situation got totally out of control". How under control are gigs where impaled sheep heads are paraded about?! :shock:
PerdeMoltoSangue
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lysandros » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:09 pm

I did read about the Gorgoroth riot and I saw some pictures of the show here: http://www.bravewords.com/news.html?id=19826
Seems Gorgoroth are picking up all kinds of street cred lately. Let us tally it up:

Riots

Lead singer convicted of assault for drinking someone's blood (explain to me again Moonbiter why a man sentenced to like a year in jail is still walking the streets and flying abroad???)

They were accorded the 45th most metal moment on VH1 for playing the Pope's hometown and using a stage show with blood-bathed mock crucifixions and yes, the old standby, sheeps heads. Apparently this was meant to be a DVD release and it might get out yet. I think I would have to pick that up!

Could it be, ladies and gentlemen, that Gorgoroth are the blackest of the black metal hordes?

And I thought their last record was pretty good too.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Moonbiter » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:59 pm

(explain to me again Moonbiter why a man sentenced to like a year in jail is still walking the streets and flying abroad???)

LOL! Easy. I live in a country where people are actually waiting in line to serve their sentences. Yes sportsfans, rapists, robbers, burglars and child molesters are merrily living happy and carefree while waiting to serve their time, usually commiting new crimes while they're out there. I guess that makes Norway the most Black Metal nation in the world. :roll: :lol: :cry: mind you, the guitarplayer is up on trial for a couple of charges of extremely brutal sexual assault, and the trial is postponed because of his touring duties. Can we play with madness?
Moonbiter
Ranger of the North

Postby PerdeMoltoSangue » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:53 pm

Just how is VH1 qualified to rank "metal moments"?! Did they run out of Phil Collins videos or something? :P :D :P
PerdeMoltoSangue
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lysandros » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:05 pm

Moonbiter wrote:
(explain to me again Moonbiter why a man sentenced to like a year in jail is still walking the streets and flying abroad???)

LOL! Easy. I live in a country where people are actually waiting in line to serve their sentences. Yes sportsfans, rapists, robbers, burglars and child molesters are merrily living happy and carefree while waiting to serve their time, usually commiting new crimes while they're out there. I guess that makes Norway the most Black Metal nation in the world. :roll: :lol: :cry: mind you, the guitarplayer is up on trial for a couple of charges of extremely brutal sexual assault, and the trial is postponed because of his touring duties. Can we play with madness?

http://www.bravewords.com/news.html?id=21464

GROAN..... :roll:
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Filthgrinder » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:32 am

And to continue the sad news, the singer out of Nasum went missing after the Far Eastern Tsunami :( i doubt he's still alive.
Filthgrinder
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lysandros » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:48 pm

I heard about poor Mieszko Talarcyk. They have not made it official but surely there is no doubt that he perished. :( I hope that our Scandinavian posters have not suffered terrible misfortune in this catastrophe, but that seems too much to hope as I hear many many Scandinavians were holidaying in SE Asia. Terribly sad and a bummer finish to a year that had its share of bummers.

A lot of good albums in 04 though, and I am still trying to nail down my top picks. Folks should get off the bad and focus on the good, posting the albums that they think made metal worth listening to in 2004.

So post 'em if you have the heart folks. Your top 5 or 10, plus the worst, plus your favourite concert.

Keep the music playing comrades.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Didi » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:33 am

Top 5 of albums released in 2004 or does purchased also count? I've bought some albums this year that are older...

Best concert: In Extremo (on Graspop Metal Meeting; Dessel [Belgium] in july)
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Lysandros » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:45 pm

Top Albums Purchased or otherwise absorbed Didi. :)

Man o man, I am having a tough time picking, but here we go..maybe not quite in order, but without a doubt, the best album released in 2004, to yours infernally was:

1. Dismember - Where Iron Crosses Grow
Man, what a crusher. I was astounded that they could pull off such a totally intense, well-wrought, well-thought and well-fought album at this stage of their career. It came out of nowhere and occuppied my Stockholm-starved ears for several months. Flippin' great album.

2. Therion - Lemuria/Sirius B
The head's choice for top honours. With 100 minutes o largely terrific symphonic power metal epic barely covers it. Great stuff.

3. Mastodon - Leviathan
Quite different from what I usually dig, but a stellar album nonethless and some of the plushest artwork I have ever seen.

4. Clutch - Blast Tyrant
Not much of a fan of this band till this album. Completely great, stellar production. A really smart really hard rockin' record.

5. Borknagar - Epic
This band can do no wrong in my eyes, and I think this was the sleeper triumph of 04. Miles of improvement over their previous, worth the wait!

6. Cradle of Filth - Nymphetamine
They continue their career long struggle with production, but this is much more digestible than their uber-pretentious previous. A pleasant surprise that Dani Filth remembered what a song is and wrote about an album's worth of good ones.

7. Amon Amarth - The Fate of Norns
Marred by lousy production nevertheless a thoroughly beer-hoist-able affair. The ol' chain mail shows no sign of rust even if these angry vikings haven't switched it up in about 4 albums.

8. Finntroll - Nattfodd
What can I say, a guilty pleasure. :lol:

9. My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
Another overlooked effort IMO. An impressive album. Gloomy and lovin' it? This is the album for you.

10. Mayhem - Chimera
To me the best black metal album of 2004 was this one. Too bad it inspires no confidence that their next album won't be a shark sandwich.

There they are. Tough to pick any kind of order though I am prett set on those 10 as THE 10 of the year.

Worst Album? Probably something by Cannible Corpse or Six Feet Deep, natas knows I don't listen to them. I don't recall being particularly disappointed by anything this year.

Best Show: Easy to pick as I went to exactly 1; Opeth in Worcester. Great show.

What does 2005 hold? Well, a new Priest album, that has to be something is excited and/or terrified about. As well I am hoping Opeth, Entombed and Amorphis all get records out this year. I know the new Enslaved is already out in Europe but it is not out here yet and I hear it is excellent. New Strapping Young Lad is forecast for March and that should be a pretty wicked record. Hopefully my school applications work out and I wind up in Quebec City, a short bus ride from Montreal, the best metal town in North America it is said.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Didi » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:24 pm

You even made your Top 5 a Top 10 ;)
Some nice albums I see. The ones I don't love are the ones I haven't heard yet :D :D

6. Cradle of Filth - Nymphetamine
They continue their career long struggle with production, but this is much more digestible than their uber-pretentious previous. A pleasant surprise that Dani Filth remembered what a song is and wrote about an album's worth of good ones.

Got this one from my mum, great that I'm not the only one that spits on CoF every time the name is heard :roll: Though their best album ever will always be Midian anyway :) my first metal album

8. Finntroll - Nattfodd
What can I say, a guilty pleasure.
Finntroll :D :D

9. My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
Another overlooked effort IMO. An impressive album. Gloomy and lovin' it? This is the album for you.
Not overlooked by me ;)

So my Top 5 :) (not ordered either)

1) Finntroll - Jaktens Tid. I only discovered Finntroll this year but I think it's an older album (2001 or so). I like Nattfödd and Midnattens Widunder and in fact all their other crap as well, but this is my favourite one :D

2) Einherjer - Odin Owns Ye All. Sad they split up btw. I know, this is also an older album :P it usually takes me years to find good stuff it seems :P

3) Ensiferum - Iron. No words :)

4) Ensiferum - Ensiferum. The elder one by those great Fins. No words either ;)

5) Equilibrium – Demo 2003. Yep. Only a demo. But of album quality! They can still grow some (new album planned for 2005) but it surprised me enough to fill it in here, it's just great! :D

6) Thyrfing – Urkraft. Best Thyrfing release and one of the best viking releases there are. Requires checking out :D

7) Mörk Gryning – Pieces Of Primal Expression. Not my favo kind of metal but I liked it a lot, so :D

8) Menhir – Thuringia. Primitive. Pagan. Rocks :D (ok the music, again, misses a few tones sometimes but it's catchy enough :D)

9) My Dying Bride – The Light At The End Of The World. My favourite MDB cd.

10) Moonspell – Wolfheart. Pretteh!

Just a grasp out of the cds I discovered... too many to choose between :)
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Filthgrinder » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:45 am

Best albums of 2004, ooh thats a toughy!

I really loved Watain's Casus Luciferi!

The best gigs I went to were Suffocation, Obituary and then the Dissection and Watain gig!
Filthgrinder
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lysandros » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:08 pm

Hey Filthgrinder, how was Dissection? Did they play any new material? Probably Kali Ma I would reckon...

Got this one from my mum, great that I'm not the only one that spits on CoF every time the name is heard Though their best album ever will always be Midian anyway my first metal album

I have always thought pretty highly of Cradle of Filth though I will admit that most of their albums are fraught with filler unfortunately. The songs that they do that are good tend to be extremely good. Nymphetamine might be the most consistent record they have done since the Vempire EP IMO.

And if you like Moonspell, Didi, I thought there last one "The Antidote" was excellent even though I am not a fan of the band.

I have been listening to Korpiklaani's (Finnish, could you guess?) new album, Voices of the Wilderness. Pretty folkish deathy thrash stuff a la Finntroll though perhaps even more inclined to make some of our our more respectable metalheads roll their eyes. I have no shame, so I rock out like crazy to it. ;) You cannot go wrong with a song like "Beer Beer."

Chewing on the new Priest record right now. I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Some great songs, but some horrible ones...Loch Ness? Yech. They should stick with songs with "Wheels" and "Fire" in the title. Rippin' awesome solos though.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Didi » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:54 pm

I like your view on CoF :) Half of their albums I have I haven't listened more than a few times :oops: Because, yes they make a lot of crap through their genial moments.

Listening to Windir's 1184 now. That's so great an album :) First time I hear it and it's simply awesome. Recently got deeper into Månegarm as well.

I've borrowed The Antidote from my sisters bf a while ago but I didn't really like it

Korpiklaani is okay too :)
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Lysandros » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:40 am

Well, I will definitely see at least one concert this year....Strapping Young Lad are coming back on the back of their new record, Alien. I have listed to it once, seems pretty good, more schizophrenic than the last couple and maybe tougher to follow. But folks, if you ever get a chance, they will flatten you live. Can't wait and I hope they hook up a good opening act.

Not looking good to get down to Minneapolis next month for Amorphis. I totally cannot find anyone willing to go. I could run down solo, but man road trips alone are boring. :(

Didi: I was hooked on the Filthy ones by their song Nocturnal Supremacy. At the time I hadn't heard anything like it, and liked it. Midian is a really great record for the first 40 minutes or so, then loses serious momentum. Cthulu Dawn and GHost in the Fog are superb.

Motley Crue are coming to town. Man, pathetic. How bad is when you guitarist, who just had a hip replacement and is tipping the scales at 115 pounds, gets slapped with a palimony suit? The Motley ones have lived the life, but I can't believe people are going to pay to see them. The new single is complete and utter garbage. When they played here in the late 90s it was apparently a lousy and extremely hard-to-hear show. I don't mean bad sound, I mean you couldn't hear the band. I guess Nikki SIxx has tinnitus or something. I loved this band, when I saw them like 800 years ago it was one of the defining moments of my adolescence. Its hard to see them hit the road with this desperately reunited line-up. You know its for the damn money as Tommy Lee and Vince Neil won't even sit on the same bus with each other. Sad.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Didi » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:36 am

These songs are the ones that hooked me up to Filth yes, but also metal in general :)
Long live my sister who bought that record =:D

Usually I only have 40 minutes anyway to listen music :P

Although it was generally reviewed badly, I listneed to Damnation and a Day and TBH I kinda liked it :) I(ve only heard it once but the first imression was okay, I like it more than Nymphetamine

Now playing: Dimmmu Borgir - Stormblåst

Some concerts I'll probably see this year:
Iron Maiden, Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, Behemoth, Enslaved, In Flames
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Lysandros » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:06 am

I have heard a rumour that the current Dimmu Borgir line-up is going to hit the studio to re-record Stormblast. That could be cool. The production on the original was terrible and it might make a somewhat OK record suddenly seem like an extremely good one.

Damnation and a Day had some excellent stuff. But as I said it was badly produced and the aspirations went well beyond abilities I think. If they had chopped it down to about 50 minutes, ditched the lame symphony interludes and beefed up the bottom end I think the record would have been a landmark the way people seem to think Death Cult Armageddon was at that time. (I didn't care for either album much besides a few scattered tracks)

I'd love to see Enslaved. I heard that for some performances already they have simply gone out and performed ISA in its entirety. Not many bands do that and as their music sounds (to me) to be very complicated, its pretty cool.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Filthgrinder » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:37 am

Oops been a while since I posted here!

Dissection were magnificent and Watain also were amazing! Here are some Watain pics!

http://groups.msn.com/WRETCH/dissectionampwataingig.msnw

Since then I've seen Behemoth who were great with Exmortem who were dull and Supreme Lord who were pretty good. Seen Diamanthian who were fantastic, check them out in the new Terrorizer Magazine.

Next week I get to see Crowbar :) and alas Hatebreed who are headlining!!

I recently go tthe album Slaughtersun by Dawn, I can't believe I never knew about them 'till now! Really smashing melodic Black Metal!

Looking forward to Wacken this year, the line up is almost to good to be true!
Filthgrinder
Rider of the Mark

Postby Moonbiter » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:14 pm

Motley Crue are coming to town. Man, pathetic. How bad is when you guitarist, who just had a hip replacement and is tipping the scales at 115 pounds, gets slapped with a palimony suit? The Motley ones have lived the life, but I can't believe people are going to pay to see them. The new single is complete and utter garbage. When they played here in the late 90s it was apparently a lousy and extremely hard-to-hear show. I don't mean bad sound, I mean you couldn't hear the band. I guess Nikki SIxx has tinnitus or something. I loved this band, when I saw them like 800 years ago it was one of the defining moments of my adolescence. Its hard to see them hit the road with this desperately reunited line-up. You know its for the damn money as Tommy Lee and Vince Neil won't even sit on the same bus with each other. Sad.

WWWOOOOOOPPPSSSSSSS! Somebody forgot to take their Grumpy-Pills that morning. :P :roll:
Honestly, Lys, don't tell me you've become one of the "they're too old to play rock'n'roll" guys? :lol: Reviews of the Crüe shows have been quite good, in a "this is a freakshow, deal with it" kind of way, and I for one am looking forward to seeing them again, only to see if they can still do the bop. And with the show they're bringing to town..... Hey, it's only Rock'n'Roll!

Best album of 2004? Making lists, are we? How droll. :P 2004 was the "Year Of The Chainsawed Nun In A Burning Church" when it comes to metal, where cliches hit maximum overdrive with the corpse paint crew. The whole Black Metal thing has pretty much died a suitably revolting death up here on the reef. Of course now you have the former eastern block, where they will cater to the "Sodomized Camel In A Thrash Compactor" crowd for a couple of more years. Then what? Well, I'm really looking forward to the New Wave of Mongolian MoreEvilThanEverything Metal. Trust me, they'll catch up. Five bald gits in black sheets and prayer beads of fake fingerbones burping about doing unsanitary things to 3-week dead female Chinese military interpreters...

Seriously though, Motörhead's "Inferno" saw them pretty much back on extreme form, and I rather enjoyed Gluecifer's "Automatic Thrill" thingy, though they still struggle with matching the punchlines to the riffs. Rammstein's "Reise Reise" put a new and unheard of dimension to a formerly pretty one-dimensional band, which I really enjoyed. The Velvet Revolver album AND the band itself has put well-made, enjoyable and thoughtful hard rock back on the map. Me First & The Gimme Gimmes "Ruin Johnny's Bar Mitzvah" was the brilliant punk highlight of the year, while the most exceptionally un-listenable piece of reeking offal was Probot.

Oh, and the live highlight was Disneyland After Dark blowing the entire competition out of the water at SRF. Just another reminder of the fact that if you are a brilliant hard rock band, you don't need darkness and effects to prove your point. :lol:
Moonbiter
Ranger of the North

Postby Didi » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:07 pm

What a coincidence... I also recently have *cough* downloaded *cough* :oops: Slaughtersun and it so much rochs :D

Oh and if anyone from TORC is coming to Belgium's Graspop this year please let me know :D as it'd be great meeting yall... Though I doubt anyone will come that far
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Eruantale » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:34 am

Didi wrote:Oh and if anyone from TORC is coming to Belgium's Graspop this year please let me know :D as it'd be great meeting yall... Though I doubt anyone will come that far

I'm going to Graspop! However I don't know if you remember me... haven't been here for almost a year. You were posting at the Dutch Guild a long time ago, weren't you? Are you going to any other European festivals this summer?
Eruantale
Ranger of the North

Postby Lysandros » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:59 pm

Filthgrinder: I like the new Behemoth record a lot, unfortunately, despite their generous touring in North America this year I doubt I will catch them...I have heard they are excellent live.

Moonbiter: Ha! Long time no see. I too though Gluecifer's record was wicked, I dug it a lot more than the previous. It looks like I will probably get to see Motorhead this spring as they are touring the hell out of Canada with Corrosion of Conformity (yawn) and Zeke (...might be ok). The Crue, what a circus. This resurrection of 80s excess reminds me of why I started listening to death metal... Slash lost his hat, oh my! Man, I can't even really listen to that stuff anymore, and I am not one to set aside old records lightly. But all that stuff got thrown out (not re-sold to Discs-Go-Round or whatever you might have o'er there). Maybe a few songs hold up, but man, not a lot of it.

Good news at least: I am going to head down to Minneapolis for sure this weekend to see my heroes, Amorphis. My bro couldn't resist the smell of the road and a friend decided that they had nothing better to do than haul down to the USA to see 4 bands she had never heard of. Righteous. I am so excited that I have a hard time believing that after 12 years I will finally see this band. Its a shame the rest of the bill is kind of weak in my opinion though Into Eternity is scoring tours with Statovarius and another slew of dates with Incantation and Krisiun over here so someone likes them somewhere. But like I said, real excited to see Amorphis, I will be packing extra Pampers.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Didi » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:18 am

Lol sure I still know you :P
As you haven't been online I popped you off my MSN list but :oops: :P
Were you there last year? Then I might have seen you without knowing :D
Are you going for any band in special or just because in general they have good music?
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Eruantale » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:41 am

Hehe, you're not on my MSNlist either :roll:
I was there last year too, yup. Alice Cooper was brilliant...
This year I'm going for Iron Maiden, I just háve to see them again. And Dream Theater and System of a Down, of course. Let's just exchange pictures before Graspop, we might recognize each other :P

This year I'm also going to Sziget in Hungary, 7 days festival 8) and perhaps to Wacken.
Eruantale
Ranger of the North

Postby Didi » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:07 pm

Depends on if you've changed a lot since last year :P

7 days festival? *gasp* What bands are coming?
7 days...
Ooh

Hungary is far tho :P

PS how did you dare remove me from your msn list :shock:
:wink:
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Eruantale » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:36 pm

There aren't any bands confirmed yet, rumours going round about Saxon though. But I don't care, there are about 300 acts, a lot of unknown/local bands too, but it's going to be fun, i'm sure. Every year there are a few big acts, some of the metalbands who performed on Sziget last years: Hammerfall, Ignite, Nightwish, Overkill, Rage, Anathema, Moonspell, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Amorphis, Kraetor, Savatage, Doro and Blaze, Napalm Death, Testament, My Dying Bride, Sonata Arctica, Annihilator, sounds good, doesn't it?
It's on a big island in the err.. Donau? (not really sure which river it is) that runs through Budapest, and you can put your tent anywhere on the island, it just has to be 50 meters from the stages :P And it's 7 days... 7 days! :happydance:

Edit: http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english
Eruantale
Ranger of the North

Postby Moonbiter » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:42 pm

Heh, Lys, I guess we have to agree to disagree on that. I saw Priest last night, and they played for two and a half hours full speed without a single dud, so here's to the old boys.
Meanwhile, up here on the reef it's soon Easter again, and that means it's time for the http://www.infernofestival.net/ Inferno Festival! My annual reminder of why I do NOT listen to Panda Metal. To make things even more mirthsome, this year they're setting a new standard in gathering bands with silly names! I haven't seen a gathering of downright Monty Python-esque proportions like this since Wacken two years ago. "Goatlord" anyone? I can see the Spinal Tap guys keeling over. So, they have one band called Goatlord and another band called Gorelord, which one is above the other in the hierarchy of none-more-evil? *snicker* And what exactly is a Grimfist? Really dirty fingernails? Oh, and they have Candlemass!!!! In my book they've always been sort of like The Cure of extreme metal. In fact, their singer looks rather like Robert Smith would if he ate all the pies. :lol:
So we have tickets, which we will end up giving away to some grateful, spikey little evil gnomes who just has to see... er.. Horricane.*groan* We're still invited to the backstage party, which could be fun, if only to see Morbid Angel remove their hairpieces. :wink: :lol:
Moonbiter
Ranger of the North

Postby Lysandros » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:30 am

Morbid Angel wear hair pieces! Say it ain't so! :lol:

Inferno is one festival I think would be pretty cool, lots of bands I would be interested in seeing usually, and not an outdoor overwhelming crush of unshowered humanity around. Its late March, I assume there is still snow on the ground in most of Norway, much like here. (Lysandros' optimum temperature is -4C, partly cloudy with wind out of NNW....why NNW, because Radio Birdman always says NNW :wink: ....Moonbiter is probably the only one that gets this stupid stupid joke).

I wouldn't want to make the generalization that ALL old bands suck. I think Maiden still get it done, and I am praying that Priest rolls near here. I picked up their new album with a bonus DVD of like 5 or 6 live songs from Spain last year. Halford doesn't move very much anymore (he does this weird kinda robot thing during metal gods and I honestly think that was as fast as he can move! He sang most of Hellbent for Leather without getting up from the Harley). But the songs still rocked, there is an especially cool performance of Diamonds and Rust, done mostly accoustic, chilling.

I saw Amorphis, and it was terrific. Sound could have been a bot more vocals and keyboards, but that's ok because its the guitars that make the band. They were a lot heavier live than I wa expecting, the tore through the older material and had me weeping with old school nostalgia and the newer songs tended to have a much heavier rocking edge. New singer was excellent though he fudged one or two spots. Attendance was small, as I expected, I'd be surprised if they tour North America again if all the dates are like this. Met the dudes themselves after the show, new singer and bass player were very friendly, guitar players were a bit shy but still happy to sign my junk. All three of us fell asleep at the wheel for at least half a second on the drive back to Winnipeg after the show, but returned unscathed except for myself, who came down with a cold and spent the next three days on the couch. Worth it.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Lysandros » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:07 pm

Man, the devil's work is sorely missing on this thread!

Saw Strapping Young Lad and a couple other bands a few weeks back. SYL were incendiary as usual so the real revelation of the evening was D.C. metalcore act Reflux. Truly impressive! Their seven-stringer was flat-out amazing and was hitting foot-switches almost as fast as he was shredding. Bought their CD and it is great, though possessing a bit more emphasis on melodic vocals than their live performance. I hope to hear more from them...

I suppose the big tour to watch in North America this summer (no it is NOT Ozzfest!) is Sounds of the Underground...a whole schwack of bands playing, but most notably GWAR, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad and Clutch. Some oddball dates are scheduled so for reasons unknown they are playing in Saskatchewan, but not here....Edmonton but not Calgary...bizarre...in any caseI reckon I will be heading out to Saskatoon or Regina or wherever as it is only a 6 hour drive from here. Should be pretty sweet.

New Bruce DIckinson is out, yay! Word on the street is its not as good as Chemical Wedding, no surprise, but is it possible to get tired of the Air Raid Siren?
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Didi » Sun May 08, 2005 10:22 am

Is this dead? :shock:

Maybe this news will bring light :P
New great internet radio discovered!
The guys from www.vikingblood.net set up this:

http://folkmetal.dyndns.org:8000/listen.pls

Now playing: Windir ) Svartesmeden og Lundamyrstrollet... lovely song (just passed: Thyrfing - the deceitful)

Folkish and Vikingish metal all together... been listening to it for half an hour now and so far not a single bad song :)

P.S. you need winamp for it
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Monoceros » Wed May 11, 2005 3:20 am

No, it's not, Didi!

My friend gave me disc with different groups on it.... wow, I'm impressed.

I still can recall some songs that I like the most. They are inside my head playing. :wink: Those are Hammerfall - Templars of Steel, Mythotin - Old Rover, Therion - Desert of Set, Thor.... I can listen to them for hours...
Monoceros
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru