What instruments do you play?

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Postby krawler » Wed May 28, 2008 2:33 pm

I played the alto saxophone for about seven years through middle and high school, then put it down when I got to college. Reason being I had always felt my parents forced me into it, because they did. I was pretty good at it and could have done very well if I wanted to, but I just never had the will to continue, so I didn't play any instrument for close to four years.

Last November, however, I finally succumbed to a growing curiosity in the guitar. I mentioned it to my dad and he pulled out his first acoustic guitar, a mass-produced thing he got when he was nine or so. I've been teaching myself ever since, and I'm certainly much better at it now than I was when I first started. However, I fear I'm about to hit a brick wall in terms of how far I can take myself. All the instruction books I've used are either too boring or too advanced, by which I mean they either A) briefly mention a technique I find interesting and want to explore further, but which is not referred to anywhere else in the book, or B) spend lots of time on techniques that are just a little above my skill level, and which I have little interest in anyway. So for a while now I've given up on books and looked up tabs for a bunch of my favorite songs that sound easy enough and just play those.

What I really need is a mentor or something. I never really liked the interaction I had with any of the paid private instructors I had when I played sax, so I definitely don't want to go that route. (that, and I don't feel like spending money thus) Too bad none of my friends are terribly musically inclined.

Oh, and I also occasionally attempt to sing along with my guitar playing. Not really the kindest way to treat surrounding ears. :lol:
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Sat May 31, 2008 12:38 pm

My experience with alto sax (which I LOVE to listen to!) was in group-woodwind class in college; it was the instrument I drew by chance in the dealout at the beginning of the first semester. But I was reluctant to practice anywhere I could be heard, which made it hard since I lived in a dorm, and individual practice rooms in the music department had long lists of people waiting (one had to sign up ahead, and music majors got first dibs). Winds are not my forte, but I did OK (just OK). I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of my own, though, even this many years later...

As for guitar and singing, I'm better at either one if I don't try to do both at the same time! :) But I'm a much better singer than player. (I don't practice guitar very much either, even though I started before I ever tried sax.)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:04 am

Well I used to play the clarinet, both e flat and b flat. Now I dabble in the penny whistle and bodhran. My beloved plays the penny whistle, harp, the bones, concertina and chanter. His sister plays piano, hammered dulcimer and penny whistle. Actually he comes from a massively musical family. His father plays anything he gets his hands, on too many to list. He was in a Celtic band called "Indigo" and his mother has her own CDs out there on the Celtic Harp. We all love to sing as well.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby GoodSam » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:30 pm

I had no idea this thread was even out here. I played trumpet from fifth grade through my second year of college. Like anything else I do, I was not endowed with tons of natural talent but was able to progress through hard work. I finally realized in college that I would have to spend all of my spare time practicing to even compete for positions in the college jazz band, so I dropped band to concentrate on my studies. I still pick up the old horn from time to time to play in small ensembles at church. I also have been known to blow out a tune here and there on the harmonica. I love music, and I think that having played a musical instrument for many years gives one a special appreciation of music. It also helps one to be discriminating of popular music. I tend to like a wide variety of music, but dislike popular music that doesn't demonstrate a lot of talent. I would say that there is a lot of popular music that is performed by no-talents who are groomed a given a recording contract based on looks. Also, I am very unimpressed with a lot the heavy metal that kids listen to these days. Man! has that genre gone into decline these last couple of decades!

I should add that I have noticed that a lot of low-talent music has gotten wildly popular for many years. When I mention the group Nazereth, us old timers will remember one extremely popular song they did (Hair of the Dog) that was the lowest-talent effort they ever did.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby krawler » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:13 pm

Here's an odd question: Do any of you name your instruments?

I've been contemplating scrawling a name or phrase on my guitar after the fashion of some of my favorite guitarists, and I was just wondering whether normal people do it as well with their own instruments. On the one hand it seems odd to name a tool. On the other hand a musical instrument can be an extension of oneself, infinitely more expressive than a favored wrench or hammer. And people also name their boats and cars and such.

So what do you think? Crazy enough to work? Crazy like a fox? Or just plain crazy? :D
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:18 am

I named my violin Elrond. The case, by extension, got called Rivendell after that. :D I never carved the name into it or made any effort to actually label it, though; I just told people my violin's name was Elrond. They stared. It was excellent. :D

But then, I name everything, so don't use me as an example...
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby milady132 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:54 pm

I play the classic guitar,and the Galician bagpipe,typical from my land,Galicia,in Spain :) :)
milady132
Petitioner to the Council

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:53 pm

Alas, my only instrument is my voice. Alto. I took piano lessons for awhile..but my timing was poor.

I think it's cool to name your instrument!! Like the swords are named in old legends and in LoTR! I named my car. :D I will have to ask my daughter if she has named her violin. It would be very like her to do so.. she names everything!

GoodSam I am not sure what kind of heavy metal you like or think is good.. but have you ever heard 'Apocalyptica'?? They are 3 (used to be 4.. sometimes including a drummer, guest vocalists, guest piano, etc..) classically trained cello players that do a lot of Metallica covers. I think they are great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYgcACf ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2aIVKp ... ature=user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM4qMuhE ... re=related
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby krawler » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:16 pm

--
Last edited by krawler on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby GoodSam » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:14 pm

I don't have a name for my instrument, Unless you want to call it King symphony Series Big Bore. Oh wait! That's the model name!

Rose,

I can't really get into Apocoplyptica. I tend to like the more technical bands. A couple of things that turn me off immediately about metal are over-use of double bass and growling. My teenagers disagree about the growling thing, but hey! I guess it's a generational thing. I took a group of teenagers to Ozzy Fest last Summer. The only act I really liked was Ozzy, of course.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby tawariel » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:14 pm

Since seven or eight years I´m playing the violin (and no, it doesn´t have a name. :wink: ). Before that I played two years the flute without being very good at it.
And I teached myself in playing guitar, but up to now I can only pluck (is this the right word???).
tawariel

Postby Andalion » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:25 pm

I play guitar, and am lucky enough to have found a private instructor whose company I enjoy. I meddled (or, well, attempted to meddle) with piano, drums and the flute. Piano is something I hope I find the time, drive and will to go back to and focus on, at least for a bit. As for drums, I think I'll stick to the occasional attempt at Rock Band. I adore the sound of an expertly played flute, but I'm certain I rank amongst the top-ten-most-terrible-mockery-flutists-ever.

I do sing, though. Baritone, with a naturally bass inclination but a range that's grown in the past few years, and I'm comfortable enough with the variety of songs I can sing (always a sucker for classical Disney, of course).
Andalion
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Turin Turambar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:44 pm

I primarily play violin, piano, and trumpet, with dabblings in viola, baritone/valve trombone, and voice (Gilbert and Sullivan forever!).
Turin Turambar
Shield Bearer

Location: Somewhere in Beleriand, refusing to believe that Fingolfin is dead

Postby Beleg Faeron » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:46 pm

I play electric and acoustic guitars, and the electric bass. I sold my bass and I am very sad as a result.
Beleg Faeron

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:15 am

Do you plan on buying a new bass??

I have never named an instrument but I did name my bow for archery. I guess it is a tradition to name your bow. Oh well, who knew!! :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Inwe-Taralom » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:05 pm

I play my vocal chords ( :P ) and guitar. I've been singing for practically all my life. I remember poking my family members in the side to sing/sing louder in church when I was little. :lol: I only started vocal lessons and singing in a choir two years ago, though. I started guitar about a year ago, and hope to play drums soon, definitely. A bit of bass and piano would be great, too. :)

When my brother was at college lest year, he bought a used professional performing/recording acoustic guitar for himself. This summer, we played guitar together a lot, and he saw how much in love with it I was - more than his other guitars, one other acoustic, two electric, plus a bass (I didn't have any of my own yet; he's played for around five years). He gave it to me for my birthday in late July. It's probably the most meaningful gift I've ever received - as corny as it may sound; I still can't believe it's mine now. :heart:
Inwe-Taralom
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:29 am

I've been playing guitar on and off since the late 80s, I've got two electrics and an acoustic. Also have dabbled with keyboards a bit. I used to be able to scratch a tune out of a tenor banjo but haven't even touched one for at least 15 years. I'm a dab hand on the stylophone (honest) and can play a mean penny whistle. (And can also program the old drum machine I bought 20 years ago, does that count).

If anyone's interested, all but one tune on this site -http://www.myspace.com/dontcareiom are me.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:44 pm

I forgot to mention my mountain dulcimer, that I built from a kit in a workshop when I was just out of college. I forgot I had it, I haven't played it in so long. I'm not even sure I've seen it since we moved 10 years ago!

Singing is what I've done since I could speak, I think. My range is sort of mezzo-soprano; I sang alto in school and most of college, till I took lessons and found I really was a soprano. Actually, I can sing tenor better than alto, because I have a nasty crack around middle C that is worse when I try to pump the volume. I can only sing alto when I can keep the volume down.

I've never named an instrument, but my ashiko (conical African drum) has wanted a name from the get-go, but I've never been able to think what it might be! The only thing I have that I did name was my current bicycle; her name is Arachne.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby durinthedeathless22 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:52 am

I've played drums the last seven years. I have a Chad Smith (of the Red Hot Chili Peppers) Pearl signature set, with many of my own modifications.

And... I just started a band about a month or two ago!

"Debt to Society".

We're not bad for a teenage garage punk band, if I do say so myself. :wink:

DTD22
durinthedeathless22
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Grimmodhr » Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

I play bass in a very rudimentary way, and I have a bodhran which i play, but the little stick keeps slipping through my hand when playing :oops: I write all my own stuff for my black metal band but have got some proper drum sticks which makes playing the bodhran easier :)
Grimmodhr
Shield Bearer

Postby Ponyboy » Tue May 05, 2009 5:07 am

Great thread! I played trombone in Jr High band for nearly 2 years.

I also played piano for 2 years (dont play anymore) and played drums for 3 years in High school.

the past 11 years I focused on acoustic/classical and electric guitar.
I also play harmonica and the ukulele.
Ponyboy
Shield Bearer

Postby krawler » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Well, about a week and a half ago I finally went out a bought a new guitar. My dad's old acoustic that I had been using couldn't keep the high E string from popping out of the bridge anymore, among other problems. So I decided to just bite the bullet and get one that I actually like.

The result is a nylon string guitar with a thin neck like a steel string guitar's, and a body about half as deep as a regular acoustic guitar. It feels great in my hands, and I love how it sounds. I never liked the way steel strings sounded or felt, but wasn't comfortable with the wide nylon string necks, so it's the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned! :D Not upgrading to electric yet, obviously, but this one has a built-in pickup for whenever I go public and need an amp.

I thought I had asked this before, but I guess not. Any of you prefer alternate or customized tunings on your instruments? I play with all the strings a half step down from standard tuning, but keep a capo around for versatility when I want it.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyElbereth » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:12 am

My first instrument was the clarinet at school, then I changed to tenor horn and finally settled on French horn, which I've played in a concert band for for 20 years now and wouldn't stop for the world! I also sing contralto.

My kids are keeping up the tradition - eldest plays trumpet and piano, 2nd plays my old clarinet, and 3rd plays trombone and piano. Youngest has yet to decide but fancies the oboe. All the kids sing with me too! :)
LadyElbereth
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:24 pm

Bodhran, and a selction of odd instruments from train whistles and spoons, to rain sticks. I have been known to attempt to sing.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby sairah » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:06 pm

I used to learn how to play the piano. That was before mine broke a few years back.
I hope it's one of those things you never forget [like riding a bike].
sairah
Citizen of Imladris

Location: Looking for that moment in time where she will become one with the universe and feel truly infinite.

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed May 05, 2010 11:19 pm

I have decided that I want to learn to play the Hurdy Gurdy!!! I love the sound of them and I can even play one at events such as our SCA camp outs since they were around in the medieval days.

We also got a rain stick the other day. I found it at the thrift store and have been adding to my instruments. :D I even found a pan flute.

So far we have a harp, Cat's Paw, Bodhran, several penny whistles, Concertina, bones and a chanter.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby b5c » Thu May 06, 2010 8:19 am

Vanaladiel wrote:I have decided that I want to learn to play the Hurdy Gurdy!!!

Is that because I lent you that Eluveitie album? :)
b5c
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri May 07, 2010 8:47 am

Nope! It may have made me think of it again. But I have wanted to learn several instruments for some time. I have the bodhran now and can play it some, I know a song or two on the penny whistle and wanted to learn the hammered dulcimer but his sister was the one who got to take on that instrument.

Magical Strings a group from the Seattle area that Ryan knew as a child and I have met before I knew Ryan, have been using it in their performances and I was intrigued then, so I was already interested.

It is also a medieval instrument and I have wanted something to play at our SCA events that would be appropriate for the time that we are suppose to be in and that one would fit very nicely and go with the drums. :D

And thank you for the loan, they should be back to you today!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby earendil81 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Vana, good for you. I am glad to hear you still dabble in new instruments :D :D.

As far as I am concerned, I played all recorders possible at school. When I was in secondary school, I wanted to learn the violin. When I picked the violin with a teacher, he told me that I would never be able to play it properly as I had broken my wrist. I was 12 and it was heart breaking.
I was good with winds and I always loved the sound of the saxophone. I tried to find a teacher but never could in Paris.

And so I only used my voice. I have been singing in choirs and as a soloist since 1991 now. But a few weeks ago for my Bday my fiancé offered me a sax alto because he heard me say that it was a regret I had never to have learn it.
So for the past 3 weeks I have had lessons and have been working with it. Interesting different from the singing and yet very similar. I like it.
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Saruman_of_the_Istari » Sat May 15, 2010 4:32 am

I played oboe from junior high through my second year at college. I played piano some too but never mastered the bass clef(left hand).

When I was a kid, I had an electric piano that I had alot of fun on. I don't know what happened to it. I can't seem to find it. :(
Saruman_of_the_Istari
Citizen of Imladris

PreviousNext

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru