Anyone love Celtic music?

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Postby lady*of*rohan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:18 pm

I love the PS I Love You sound track! I went to see that movie with my friends and I freaked out in the theater because Flogging Molly's If I ever Leave This World Alive was playing in the background. They all thought I was nuts.

huggles
:angle: Rohy
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:40 pm

I just saw PS I love You and will definitely be finding out if there is a sound track to buy.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:45 pm

Oh yeah.. there are two. One with all of the instrumental music /score... and one with all of the 'songs'. Make sure you get the one you want! ;)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:11 pm

How about both!!!! :twisted:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby LalaithUrwen » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:37 pm

Oh, sheesh. I missed a post from Lomelire from 3 years ago! :oops: So sorry!!

I have added to my whistle collection. In addition to the C and D, I now have an Eb, a Bb, and an E. I got whistles that fit the keys of the songs we typically play in church. I'm thinking I have another one, too, but now I can't remember. (Since I'm recovering from the stomach flu, I'm being lazy and won't go check.)

Anyone catch Enya's new CD yet? It's very pretty. :)

Lali
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:18 pm

Ossian, Battlefield Band, Sielas, a zillion others I can't think of at the moment...

Do I love Celtic music?? YOWZAH!! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:10 am

If you like folk music (again, I'm very wary calling it Celtic music), then if it's at all possible, you need to check out Celtic Connections, which takes place over a month here in Glasgow. It's one of the biggest Celtic folk music events in the world.

A friend of mine from university used to be in a band called Back of the Moon and through him, I learnt a lot more Scottish folk music. It can be quite difficult to find Scottish folk music when there's so much Irish folk music out there. Not that I don't like Irish folk music, it's just nice to be introduced to new music.

Several friends of mine are involved in the Scottish folk music scene, and I've been fortunate to be involved in impromptu sessions in various pubs, I've even had my arm twisted into singing some Scots Gaelic songs! As a result, I've bought a flute, but it's been neglected of late - I'll have to get cracking on it again! :)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:57 pm

So groups like Capercallie, Wolfstone or Skyedance are not Celtic? Or is it that Irish groups can't be Celtic? The first three I mentioned are all billed as Celtic and are Scottish to boot. Is Gaelic Celtic in nature?? Is Enya considered Celtic? I thought she was but isn't she Irish??

What is your definition of Celtic music if you feel most of it is folk music?? I would dearly love to know or understand. I believe there is a lot of folksy type Celtic mix music out there and that would be things like Loreena McKennitt. She blends the two along with middle eastern sounds.

What in your definition makes something Celtic? The instruments or the music, the intent or what??

Please I am honestly wishing to hear your idea of what is or isn't Celtic.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby heliona » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:00 pm

Well, so much is labelled Celtic, which I suppose to me just implies that it comes from a Celtic country - so modern pop music sung by a band from a Celtic country could be considered Celtic.

Also, there are places that are hubs of what could be called Celtic music that aren't actually Celtic in origin themselves, so that adds confusion to the matter!

I guess I'm more comfortable calling it Celtic folk music (adding the word "folk" to determine that it is traditional music (either old or new, inspired by old songs/stories), as opposed to pop or rock music.).

I generally try to differentiate between Scottish and Irish (and Breton and Cornish and any other source of the traditionally typical Celtic music) simply because they are different. They're talking about different things, and of course the language is different (if they're singing in Gaelic). Irish folk music is much more known around the world (there are more Irish folk singers known internationally) than Scottish folk music and bands, which is another reason why I differentiate between them. There are subtle differences between the music, as obviously they're being played by different instruments occasionally (the Scottish bagpipes sound completely different to the Uilleann pipes, for instance).

The word "Celtic" refers to the culture of the Six Celtic nations: Scotland, Ireland, Wales, the Isle of Man (which is entirely separate from England), Cornwall, and Brittany. So Capercaillie, for instance, is Celtic music, but it's also Scottish traditional music.

I'm just wary of using the phrase "Celtic music" because traditional musicians themselves are loathe to use it, and it's been passed on to me by my folk music friends. It just makes me uncomfortable. *shrugs*

This Wikipedia entry does a better explanation than I can do at this time of night! Wikipedia entry on Celtic music

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:43 pm

I see what you mean hon. I agree then. I love Celtic Folk Music! :hug: Thanks hon!!

Yes I prefer the traditional music played on traditional instruments. I did know the difference in the pipes. The traditional Scottish pipes are blown into by the piper on his chanter and the Uilleann pipes are pumped under the arm.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby heliona » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:56 am

That's all right. :) It is a bit vague and wishy-washy. I can't really describe why I don't like calling it Celtic music. I suppose because it bundles it all together and I like to distinguish between the various sources. :)

The pipes sound subtly different as well. I must confess to preferring the Scottish Highland bagpipes over the Uilleann pipes - as long as they're played properly. :D

My grandfather was Pipe Major for the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders (which is a Scottish Army Regiment that no longer exists; it was merged with another regiment and they're now the Queen's Own Highlanders. My father played the pipes as well, many years ago. He still has his practise chanter, and gets it out occasionally. :)

heliona

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:42 am

Very cool Heliona!!! :thumbsup: Yeah I love it when we have our Scottish Highland Games and get to hear 150 pipers and drummers marching and playing together. It stirs the blood and I can't describe how awe inspiring it is to hear such a sound. I can imagine how daunting it was for their enemies to hear them playing like that as they marched into war. It would tend to put the fear of God in one, I think.

I love watching the Scottish highland dancing too. I will have to try to get pics this coming summer and send you some so you can see how much fun we have here. I am so thankful that this area has so much Scottish blood in it.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby heliona » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:04 pm

:lol: I think the US and Canada have more Scottish events than we do in Scotland.

I love Scottish Highland dancing as well. My father was a Highland dancer (more so than he was a piper) and in fact danced at the Royal Albert Hall in London. :D He still gets miffed that girls are allowed to do it now. Traditionally it's only the men who do the Highland dancing because they were warrior's dances or a way to test a man's strength and stamina. Not womanly at all! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_highland_dance#Highland_dances and http://www.siliconglen.com/Scotland/10_5.html)

My father was challenged to a dance off a few years ago by a woman friend of ours. I think she has it on video somewhere: I must try and get hold of it. To make matters more complicated, they were both severly hungover, and also were doing the Sword Dance (I think) on a floating pontoon that moved! Anyway, my father won hands down, despite it being about 30 years since he'd done any dancing! I guess once you've done it, you don't forget! :D

I've actually never been to a Highland Games, although of course there are tens of them happening around here. I'm sure one day I'll get to one! :D

heliona

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:52 pm

Thank you for those links. I did not know that about the dances. Very cool!! :D :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby heliona » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:54 pm

That's no problem. :hug: What I love about the dances is that they have such a history behind them, and such a story to go along with each dance. :) The same goes for so many of the old traditional songs. :)

(For some reason, this thread never shows up as having new replies for me, so it's always a while before I realise anyone's posted on it after me! :D)

heliona

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:54 am

That is alright sweetie. I don't think any of us is in a rush. I am just glad to see that it is still active.

I am loving the new insight and good information that you are sharing with us/me. I love learning anything I can about Celtic Music and the Scottish way of things and why they did it that way.

If you ever come to visit me you will need to come in early July so that we can go to the Highland Games here and you can see it for yourself. Then you can tell me what they did wrong or cool. We have dance competitions, pipe and drum competitions, dog herding and racing, I believe sheep riding for the kids, Scottish Country dancing, harp playing, clan booths, Kilt sellers, broadsword and knife vendors, jewelry, sarongs, garb and so much more for sell, of course the ever popular foods and a beer garden. I know they people come play music too but I don't know if they are competing as well or just plain entertainment. I get so sunburned each year even through my clothes and a parasol. Go figure! But I love it!!! Its a two day event culminating with the combined marching and playing of the pipe and drum corps. So awesome to hear that many playing at once and together.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby heliona » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:37 pm

That'd be brilliant, Vana. Although I'd certainly not be able to tell if anything was right or not! As I said, I've yet to go to a Highland Games here! :D Sheep riding?! :shock: That sounds like fun! :D

heliona

Postby LalaithUrwen » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:03 am

That does sound like a lot of fun! I grew up very close to where they hold the Ohio Highland Games, but I never went. (My parents weren't into that kind of thing, and then I was married and moved away before I was.)

When I talk about Celtic music, I usually differentiate between Celtic folk or Celtic rock or Celtic folk rock or whatever, but I don't get too hung up on those labels. I would consider Enya and Loreena McKennitt Celtic New Age, for example.
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:57 am

Yeah I tend to agree with you on that one Lali!! Enya and Loreena are definitely New Age Celtic. Though I do enjoy them both!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby LalaithUrwen » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:59 am

Oh, so do I! :)

I love it all--from traditional folk to rock to New Age to punk. :heart:
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Aaah Loreena. Yes, I think I'd call her more New Age these days than Celtic specifically....she uses a dash of Middle Eastern flavor quite commonly too. I loooove her version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman.... a bit of a blend of celtic and middle eastern. One of my favorite non-traditional christmas songs. (Or rather song done by a non-traditional Christmas artist) :D
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby lady*of*rohan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:45 pm

I thought this would be a good place to share. I'm going to see Flogging Molly tomorrow!! I'm SOOOO excited!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

huggles
:angel: Rohy
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby LalaithUrwen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:58 pm

Rohy, that's exciting! Have a great time!

Rune, I love the Middle Eastern flavor of Loreena. I find myself dancing against my will. (It's a sad, lame imitation of bellydancing, but it's fun.)
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Hehe, if you like that sort of sound I would highly reccomend Azam Ali. :) She does work solo and with a couple of groups....VAS and Niyaz. She was born in Iran and grew up in India, so very much in that kind of sound. ;)

In fact, maybe I'll just comment on your wall/thing on last.fm! :P Since I don't know when you may stray by here. And I am a music sharing addict. :love:
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby LalaithUrwen » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:53 pm

I'll have to check her out. :)

I hope you leave a link or something on my Last.fm wall, though. That will remind me to listen!

(I watch this topic now; I was missing stuff before.)
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:33 am

Ah. :D Well, I'll leave links here in case anyone else is interested and leave you that last.fm message as well so you're doubly reminded. ;)

http://www.last.fm/music/Azam+Ali

http://www.last.fm/music/Vas

http://www.last.fm/music/Niyaz/Niyaz

A couple of my personal favorites are In the Garden of Souls (from the VAS album In the Garden of Souls) and Spring Arrives from one of her solo albums (Elysium for the Brave). :)
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby LalaithUrwen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanks, Rune! The more reminders the better! My brain is currently in strainer mode--meaning only some things are staying behind and other things are pouring straight through... .
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:36 pm

There is a group of "tribal Celtic" musicians who appear freqently around here, called The Wicked Tinkers." Their instruments are, IIRC, Bagpipe, tympani, Digereedoo. They are very loud. Although their music isn't exactly to my taste, they do make the combination of instruments work.

Mr. Portia plays the bagpipe, although that is remakably hard, at 6750 ft. altitude, and in dry air.

We have had a number of Scots over as guests and they have attended various Scottish Games and Festivals. They think the Americans are a bit nuts on the subject, but they do admit that in Scotland the whole thing is somewhat taken for granted while it is not, here.

It is a real education in international relations to watch a caber toss competition among a MacAdam, a Krause, a Mbele and a Wong.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:12 am

portia! I love the bagpipes! When we were in Scotland in April.. we were fortunate enough to hear them played several times.. once at Holyrood house palace, once at the old castle in Edinburgh and Urquhart castle on Loch Ness. So, does Mr. portia have a dress kilt?
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:40 am

How on EARTH did I miss this thread?!?! Four pages worth!

I have been most lax.

Though I listen to many generes of music, Celtic (and Folk) is definately my favorite!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru