Evanescence?

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Postby krawler » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:06 pm

I honestly have to express my doubts about the future of the band. With the firing of John LeCompt (back-up guitarist) and the subsequent resignation of Rocky Gray (drummer) back in May, that makes Amy Lee the only active original member of Evanescence, after only two albums. I find it especially disturbing that the both of them were served with gag orders to prevent them from saying why they left the band.

So to recap the lineup changes (since the debut of Fallen in 2003):

Ben Moody (co-founder) left abruptly to prevent a more violent break-up further down the line.
Will Boyd (bassist) left after recording The Open Door because he wanted to stay close to his family.
John LeCompt is fired by cell phone.
Rocky Gray quits in protest of the firing of John LeCompt.

Only Boyd's exit seems like it was in any way peaceful. I can't help but think that the band may be too unstable to last too much longer.

What do the rest of you make of this?
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:52 pm

Well, I was definitely really depressed when they both were fired. I loved them both. But I don't think Amy would have done it if she didn't believe it was for the best. Here is what she said about it:

"I've got a new ring & now you've got the scoop

Hey guys. Wow, there is so much to say, I don't know where to start. First of all, and most importantly, I am now officially Mrs. Amy Hartzler! Josh and I are married, and it is the most incredible thing to happen in my life so far (and I've seen some pretty incredible stuff). We just got back from our beautiful, remote honeymoon 2 days ago, and unfortunatley discovered that the fact that I was unable to defend myself for a week was taken advantage of quite a bit. Here's the truth, when I said that John and Rocky both made it clear they were ready to move on, I meant it. They were very vocal about the fact that they didn't really care about evanescence at all, and just stayed around for the money. I knowingly let this negative energy grow within my band for a very long time because I was afraid of the appearance of falling apart, when in reality, trying to hold on to these guys is what was holding us back. I treated both john and rocky with nothing but kindness and respect, and I got nothing but jealousy and resentment in return. They were miserable. They are no longer playing with us because I love this band too much to see it driven into the ground. One little false fact that's been bugging me in the press about this- rocky didn't quit. He never talked to me or our management at all...but he did tell most of the crew and the rest of the band that he planned to quit during the 2 weeks off after our shows in south africa (during which I was getting married and would have no time to replace him). Fortunatley, many of those people care about this project and came and warned me, so we were able to replace him in time to continue the tour as scheduled. I then told John it was time he did what he obviously wants to be doing- playing in his own band. Because no one should be playing in evanescence that doesn't appreciate it- that doesn't love it. And especially not someone that is doing it harm. Being a touring member of a band when what you really want is to be a creator can be frustrating- I guess that frustration got the best of john.
...But that was last week...
So today was the first full rehearsal with Will and Troy and they are awesome. (For those of you who don't know, they are the drummer and guitarist from Dark New Day). I haven't seen Terry so happy playing guitar since before the stroke. They've been working their butts off for the past few days cramming the setlist into their brains and they sound great. Its amazing how good it feels to play now- no clouds over our heads, no conspiracy, no drama, just the love of music. Terry, tim and I are very happy, and seriously can't wait to start touring again. Will and Troy are a little nervous, but they shouldn't be, they both SHRED. Fellow DND fans, don't worry, the bands not breaking up. Were just borrowing Will and Troy for awhile (they are working on their new album now).
Well I hope that's real enough for you. I'm probably going to be repremanded for saying so much, but somebody's got to tell the truth. I'm wiped out. Need sleep! We love you guys, and we won't let you down. See you soon!
Love,
Mrs. H.
"
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:18 pm

CONGRATULATIONS to the New Mrs. Amy Hartzler!!! :rose: That is awesome that she is so in love and happy!

Thank you for sharing her letter or interview. It definately sheds new light on the situation. I cant wait to listen to the new cd they are working on. I wouldnt worry about the changing of members of the band. It happens all the time in bands especially when one is getting well off the ground. I mean how many knew that Ringo Starr was not the original drummer of the Beatles? Perhaps these changes will open new doors for the band.

Before when TOD came out I said that it was not my favorite cd, that I loved the first one better. Well, I have to eat my words. I love to listen to them both. I dont think I could choose a favorite one now.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby LalaithUrwen » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:04 am

That is good to read. I was wondering what was going on with that band.

Lali
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:04 pm

Vanaladiel wrote:Before when TOD came out I said that it was not my favorite cd, that I loved the first one better. Well, I have to eat my words. I love to listen to them both. I dont think I could choose a favorite one now.

That's awesome! :D I wish more people could understand that. Just listening to Fallen or TOD once or even a few times isn't enough. It's something that gets better every time almost. :heart:
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Lone_Wanderer » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:37 pm

hell yea Evanescence rock, they are one of my top 3 favorite bands of all time and always will be. BOTH albums are just simply AMAZING I can't get enough of them, it's ashame what happend to the band though...I plan on getting a Ev tattoo when I turn 18 or at least I hope to....My favorite songs by them are:

Tourniquet
My Immortal
Everybody's Fool
Hello
Imaginary
Anywhere
Lithium
Good Enough
Before The Dawn
Snow White Queen
Like You

their Origin album is simply amazing too....

Oh and as a guy I have to say Amy Lee is amazingly beautiful and hott
Lone_Wanderer
Petitioner to the Council

Postby elf-maiden » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:50 pm

Lone_Wanderer, welcome to TORC. :thumbsup: I'm glad you like Evanescence, too.
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Lone_Wanderer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:33 pm

thank you Elf-maiden....

and also my top 5 favorite bands of all time are:

Shinedown
Evanescence
Staind and Aaron Lewis solo acoustic
Dreve
Linkin Park
Lone_Wanderer
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Welcome Lone_Wanderer! Evanescence is one of the best new bands to hit the scene. I love Linkin Park as well.

Its great to hear from others who love the same type of music. Though I think tattoos need to have several deep meanings before getting them. I have three. Names are usually not a good choice, though to each his own. :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby elf-maiden » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:36 pm

I was thinking about getting a tattoo last year at a m00t, because everyone else planned to get one and I've been wanting one. Not anything big, though. What kind do you have, Vana, and what was your inspiration if you don't mind me asking? :)

In order to keep this post from being spam...Evanescence seems to be doing great. :D Amy's done several interviews recently and they were nominated for some kind of Fuse TV award, I think. I tried to vote, but it didn't work. :cry2:

:love: for Amy and Evanescence!
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Hidden_Ring » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:36 am

I can tell you about my tattoo inspirations. Most of my ink holds meaning only to myself, or at least there is no deep meaning in the designs. I have a pair of seven point stars on my left shoulder (over the deltoid muscle) and a slightly adulterated version of the Utilikilt tribal logo on my right bicep. There is nothing I can really use to define what appeals to me for tattoos. I picked up an issue of Skin&Ink recently that featured pin-up art turned into tattoo flash. I'm actually starting to consider something like this for ink. I'll see if I can scan in some of this art to put up for you fine folks to see.

My LAST tat actually does have special meaning. It's a pair of Native Amer. war feathers with the birth and death dates of my brother who was in the Army. That is on my right calf. Point in fact, every tattoo that I get on my right leg (from the knee down) will be for my bro since he lost his lower right leg. I find a certain humor in that.

I've also tossed about the idea of getting the Evanescence logo as a tattoo. It's comparatively small, simple and has a kind of elegance about it's design.

Smooth sails and happy trails,
OrionHR
"First we dig 'em, then we die in 'em." ~combat engineer's motto
Hidden_Ring
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:42 pm

:hug: to you HR my brother!! :D

Well, the tattoos I have are three. My first one was my expression of freedom form an oppressive relationship. I got a Hummingbird beside two roses and two pansys. My granddaughters middle name is rose so I felt they were for her. I have always loved hummingbirds and the marvel that they are. It is on my left shoulder blade.

My second tattoo was an expression of appreciation for Tolkien. I got a celtic oval with JRRT in the center of it. It is on my right shoulder blade.

The third tattoo was because of my love of the celestial. I got a crescent moon with a star between its tips on my left ankle. It is in blue and purple with the star being pink and purple. When I saw the design I knew it was what I had been looking for.

I want to get another one but this one will be the celtic symbol that I wear all the time turned into two dragons. I have posted a link to it in a thread about tattoos in the Alliances and Guilds forum. I don't know when I will get it but I sure want to.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby elf-maiden » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:40 pm

Those are some great tattoo ideas. I would like to get something to do with either Evanescence or LOTR, since both mean so much to me. I've had a few ideas and suggestions for LOTR tattoos, but none have really jumped out at me.
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:36 am

Well take your time and be sure of what you truly want cause it will be with you a very very long time. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby elf-maiden » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:15 pm

So true. :P

In other news, WE'RE ON THE WCA BALLOT!!! thanks to me :thppt: So everyone who loves Evanescence, please vote!!!!
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby LalaithUrwen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:30 pm

I saw that, elf-maiden. w00t!

Lali
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:14 pm

Didn't win. :( It was a long shot anyway, the competition was pretty fierce. :wink:
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:56 pm

Evanescense still ROCKS!! :rose:
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Perhaps next year! :drink: Here's to our being in the running even if we didn't win this time. Now the boards have heard of us at least!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby LalaithUrwen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:48 am

Awww, this thread still rocks. :drink: And Evanescence is still teh c00lest!
;)

Lali
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Amrunelen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:17 pm

Waaaah. Almost got to see them in concert last summer at a music festival that Aggie and I went to in Holland, but they were near last act of the night and we had to catch a train back up north. :cry2:

I did get to see Linkin Park, at least, which I was happy about. And a few others.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby elf-maiden » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Tasteh, you are so lucky! :shock:

I want to see them again. :(
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Erumahtar » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:42 am

elf-maiden wrote:Tasteh, you are so lucky! :shock:

I want to see them again. :(

You are both lucky, while I'm not. :cry2: They came to Athens last June, but I didn't go because my boss didn't give me the day-off. :angry: Hope they come this year and I'm definitely going to see them.

EDIT: I am so crazy about them that I listen to their songs all day long.
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby Black Serpent » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:47 pm

:hihi: Just thought I should confess to being an Evanescence lover as well. I hung back a bit 'cause I don't really have anything more to say, but I changed my mind (again! :x ). Yeah.

I didn't know Amy was married! That's cool.
Black Serpent
Ranger of the North

Postby Erumahtar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:55 am

Black Serpent wrote::hihi: Just thought I should confess to being an Evanescence lover as well. I hung back a bit 'cause I don't really have anything more to say, but I changed my mind (again! :x ). Yeah.

I didn't know Amy was married! That's cool.

Hey nonsense, confessing that you are one of us is enough (for now :D).

Neither did I know Amy was married. :shock:
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:28 pm

Hey nonsense, I'm glad you're an Evanescence fan! I'm pretty sure everyone on TORC knows that I'm one...my first sig pic ever was of Evanescence. :D *is proud*

I'll occasionally change it to something other than Evanescence, but that never lasts long. :P
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Black Serpent » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:37 pm

elf-maiden wrote:Hey nonsense, I'm glad you're an Evanescence fan! I'm pretty sure everyone on TORC knows that I'm one...my first sig pic ever was of Evanescence. :D *is proud*

And your second...and third...and fourth...:whistle:

:hihi: Eru! Are you planning to instigate an entrance test later on then? :|

:D
Black Serpent
Ranger of the North

Postby Erumahtar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:27 am

Black Serpent said

Eru! Are you planning to instigate an entrance test later on then?

That sounds great! :D *gets ready for the campaign*
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby Black Serpent » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:28 pm

:rofl:

Good thing I'm in already then!
Black Serpent
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:28 pm

Some more news! :D

NMPA Announces 2008 Honorees (NMPA.org)

Grammy Award Winner Amy Lee to Receive Icon Award
at Annual Meeting in New York City

WASHINGTON—The National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA) will honor Grammy-Award winning singer/songwriter Amy Lee with its 2008 Songwriter Icon Award at the NMPA’s Annual Meeting to be held in New York City June 18. NMPA also announced today U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) has been selected to receive the 2008 President’s Award.

“The NMPA is in many ways a bridge between policymakers and the music publishers and songwriters we serve, so it’s a privilege to recognize an outstanding representative from each of these groups in conjunction with our annual meeting each year,” said NMPA President and CEO David Israelite. “This year we are honored that the multi-talented Amy Lee will join us in New York City not only to receive this award but to perform as well. We are also so pleased to present Senator Leahy with the President’s Award. He a friend of the industry, and a true fan of music.”

Amy Lee is the co-founder and lead singer of Evanescence. She is a singer-songwriter and a classically trained pianist. The album “Fallen” sold more than 15 million copies, spent 43 weeks on the Billboard Top 10, and has been certified Platinum 6 times. Amy Lee and Evanescence won two Grammy Awards in 2004 for Best New Artist and Best Hard Rock Performance.

The second Evanescence album, The Open Door, debuted at the top of the Billboard charts selling more than 447,000 units in its first week and reached platinum status in just over a month. The album is defined by Amy Lee’s beautiful melodies, compelling lyrics, poignant piano and stunning vocals, fused with Terry Balsamo’s urgent yet intricate guitar to form a seamless, ethereal mixture that perfectly channels the band’s hard rock and classical sensibilities. The album’s musical elements include a classically-infused choir and strings on several tracks, giving further color to songs of introspection, longing, doubt, self-respect and, ultimately, empowerment. “Sweet Sacrifice,” a post-relationship catharsis and the third single from The Open Door was nominated for Best Hard Rock Performance at the 2007 Grammy Awards.

Amy Lee truly speaks to an international audience. In support of The Open Door, Amy and Evanescence performed for audiences in more than 25 countries, including the US, Canada, France, UK, Spain, Germany, Greece, Turkey, Russia, Israel, Argentina, Chile, Brazil, South Africa, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. The Open Door is about to reach sales of 2 million copies in the U.S. and more than 4 million copies worldwide.

The Icon Award recognizes outstanding songwriters for personal achievement and who personify the vision of NMPA and the goals of its members. Former recipients include Jimmy Webb and Neil Sedaka. (...)

The NMPA Annual Meeting will be held from 3-5 p.m. at the Marriott Marquis, 1535 Broadway, followed by a cocktail reception from 5-7 p.m. Members of the media are invited to both the meeting and reception.

About the NMPA
Founded in 1917, the National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA) is a trade association representing more than 800 American music publishers. The NMPA’s mandate is to protect and advance the interests of music publishers and their songwriter partners in matters relating to the domestic and global protection of music copyrights.

About the Songwriter Icon Award
The National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA) established the Songwriter Icon Award in 2006 to recognize outstanding songwriters for personal achievement and who personify the vision of NMPA and the goals of its members. Former recipients include Jimmy Webb and Neil Sedaka. (...)

Source: http://www.nmpa.org/pressroom/showrelease.asp?id=157

W00t w00t, go Amy!! :horse:
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru