Opera, anyone?

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Postby LadyNicta » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:24 pm

In my opinion, the best tenor ever, at least the best I've heard, was Enrico Caruso. Such a shame he died before I was even born... Would have loved to have seen him in Turandot. Even with a modern singer, there's one I have to see someday! But the cast has to be good, oversingers, undersingers, or someone who just doesn't have a clear, true, expressive voice can spoil the whole thing. I just love the one song from that show: Nessun Dorma.

Nessun dorma! Nessun dorma! Tu pure, o Principessa, nella tua fredda stanza, guardi le stelle che tremano d'amore, e di speranza!"
(English translation: "None shall sleep! None shall sleep! Even you, o Princess, in your cold bedroom, watch the stars that tremble with love and with hope")
"Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me; il nome mio nessun saprà! No, No! Sulla tua bocca lo dirò quando la luce splenderà!"
(English translation: "But my secret is hidden within me; none will know my name! No, no! On your mouth I will say it when the light shines!")
"Ed il mio bacio scioglierà il silenzio che ti fa mia!"
(English translation: "And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine!")

"Il nome suo nessun saprà... E noi dovrem, ahimè, morir, morir!"
(English translation: "No one will know his name... and we will have to, alas, die, die!")

"Dilegua, o notte! Tramontate, stelle! Tramontate, stelle! All'alba vincerò! Vincerò! Vincerò!"
(English translation: "Vanish, o night! Set, stars! Set, stars! At daybreak I shall win! I shall win! I shall win!")

*melts a little* I've heard two versions, Pavarotti and Caruso, but I have to say I liked Caruso's better. Clearer tonal quality and a lot more emotion. They've both got their good qualities, but I guess every singer's got the song in which they really shine!
LadyNicta
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:36 pm

Ah, yes, I saw the Ring Cycle on PBS as well and loved it. As well as Mozart's Magic Flute, The Marraige of Figaro and Dvorak's operas, which except for Russalka aren't very well known, but are great. One I particularly like from Dvorak is The Devil and Kate.

btw, for those unfamiliar with opera, there's a great series starring Joan Sutherland called Who's Afraid of Opera? where she and a panel of three puppets go over several operas. It was an introduction to opera for children on PBS, and I have all four videotapes of it. It's very good.
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Previous

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru