The Smashing Pumpkins freaks/milder fans

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Should Pumpkins make a comeback?

yes
29%
no
71%

Total votes : 7

The Smashing Pumpkins freaks/milder fans

Postby Yavannië » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:27 am

Hey everyone who's bothered here! :D

I'm Ani and I'm a pumpkinholic. If you are too, this is the right place for you.

I know the band's dead but that doesn't really do anything about my obsession. Besides, there's rumours they might be gathering their lines again... :shock:

So, come and talk and share your view any way you see appropriate! :wink:
Last edited by Yavannië on Tue May 09, 2006 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yavannië
Ranger of the North

Postby Gilaglar » Thu May 04, 2006 2:19 pm

I think they peaked with Siamese Dream. Nothing they've done since has grabbed me in the same way. Mayonaise, Soma, Today and Cherub Rock are some of my favourite songs of all time.
Gilaglar
Ranger of the North

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Sun May 07, 2006 9:21 am

I know how you feel, Ani. There is a Christian Band called Burlap to Cashmere who had an incredible debut album of flamenco/rock and then

*poof* :shock:

As for the Pumpkins, call me a sell out but the only songs I ever liked by them were Tonight and also Christmastime. For some reason I ended up liking Live, Pearl Jam, Candlebox, and the other of that time a lot better...
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Yavannië » Tue May 09, 2006 4:37 am

Ooooooooo responses! :D

Pity neither of you really truly adore the band. I've never met a Pumpkins freak as intense as myself, so that's the main reason I started up this thread too... But I guess I'll still have to look a bit longer then. :|

Gilaglar: You've got a point about Siamese Dream. It's my fav album too. :) But unlike you, I find the rest of the production worth quite a lot as well, take Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness for example.

Poet: I don't think I've heard of that band :shock: But they're gone too then? Actually it's been announced officially that Pumpkins are indeed coming back. I think it's sort of a second chance for me, it's never before been alive during my obsession, so I'm quite excited about it! :D
Yavannië
Ranger of the North

Postby IamMoose » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:36 am

Funny, I was just thinking about TSP the other day and wondering what happened to them. They were huge when i was at uni. I have Siamese Dream and Melloncollie and the Infinite Sadness or whatever it's called and like them both very much.
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Yavannië » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:17 am

Moo: You do? I always knew you had a great taste!!! :D :happydance:

I think what happened to them is quite a long story... In 1997 or so they kicked Jimmy Chamberlin, the drummer, out of the band because of his drug addiction and probable involvement in their tour keyboardist's drug-related death. So on the album "Adore" that came out in 1998 there's only three of them. After that album the blond lady, D'arcy Wretzky, got enough and she was replaced by Melissa Auf Der Maur [before SP she played in Hole with Billy Corgan's ex and a friend, Kurt Cobain's widow Courtney Love].
So I guess they sort of fell apart... there were only two original members left in the end, ie Corgan and James Iha. "Machina: machines of god" was their last album and they officially call it quit in 2000.
But now they're coming back. Corgan himself said that in nothing he's done after SP has his heart truly been in and all he wants is to get back his band and his songs because only through them he's ever found home.

Or something... :roll: :D
Yavannië
Ranger of the North

Postby Durins_Day » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:11 pm

HaHa! I am here Yava!
Yes, I think I shall call you Yava.

I grew up on Pumpkins (My favorite squash by the way! Ha! No?) but wouldn't exactly call myself a fanatic. More a steady listener. I hope that the band re-formed is better than that 'Zero' group they formed a couple of years ago.
Yeesh.
Anyway, almost eight months after the last comment I hearby declare thi thread...revived!
(Listens to Mellancollie and The Infinite Sadness).
Durins_Day
Shield Bearer

Postby Yavannië » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:34 am

Cool! You're here! :happydance:

Did you hear the latest news? They're new album will carry the name of Zeitgeist and it'll come out 070707. How cool is that? :D

I really can't wait to hear that. For quite a while I've been wondering what sort of musical path they've taken. Is it more of a return to their roots, in Siamese/Mellon Collie -style, or are they picking up where they left off? If the latter, then the music might remind more Billy Corgan's solo career times.

Hmmm. I guess we'll just have to wait.
Yavannië
Ranger of the North

Postby Durins_Day » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:14 pm

*Does a Dance*
I do hope it's good, whatever style they happen to take. Change can be good and it can also be very bad. (See:Metallica)
July is going to be a fun packed (and expensive!) month for me.
Durins_Day
Shield Bearer

Postby Yavannië » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:38 am

Oh yeah... Next Harry Potter's coming out then too. :)
(I'm a geek, I know :lol:)

I too am aware of the fact that a band wants and needs to evolve, it would be unsatisfying for them to stick to the old ways and copy a song after the other. But I just hope that in SP's case they won't take it too far, you know.
Yavannië
Ranger of the North

Postby Yavannië » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:13 am

Any new Pumpkins fans since last summer? :D

One of my biggest dreams actually came true on 3rd March. I finally saw Pumpkins LIVE, in Helsinki. :love: :love:

It was so amazing.
*falls into some hypnotic state of re-living the experience*
Yavannië
Ranger of the North

Postby minyacaliel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:34 am

Yes, i liked it quite much as well. Tonight, tonight really strcuk me the most. :)
minyacaliel
Mariner

Postby Yavannië » Thu May 08, 2008 3:16 am

Heh. Lovely that you replied :lol:

Perhaps I should just accept the truth that this thread is dead; we, Min, can talk about Pumpkins whenever we like.
Yavannië
Ranger of the North

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru