Prog Rock!

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Postby GlassHouse » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Dunthule wrote:An oldie but goodie by ELP. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQsZOQqO6I

I saw them do this live at the Boston Garden way, way back in the stone age. Great concert. Palmer, what a monster. He was still doing it in 2009.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby FrodoTook » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Great music mentioned in this thread.

I am glad I found it again. :)

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:16 pm

....for something completely different...
Daevid Allen "Memories "
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby FrodoTook » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Thank you GlassHouse for sharing. I enjoyed "Memories" very much. I have not yet found a share of yours which I did not enjoy. I thank you for that.8)

The following is dedicated to Oreo...who started this thread...

Yes..Long Distance Run Around is a great hear..in my opinion and one of the very best of PROG ROCK. . I go on a very good "trip" with this one. :)

I really am enjoying this with my new ear buds. The stereo, the singing, the instruments. All are awesome.

YES is definitely in my top 5 of all time favorite bands. Pure joy to my ears.

And I hope yall enjoy hearing it again.

I hope yall share more Prog Rock. Be it new or old. I will enjoy it.8)

For now, I share another favorite of mine.

It is Roundabout

Actually, it is here with me. Right now!!! :wink: 8)
Last edited by FrodoTook on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Dunthule » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:02 pm

I've always loved 'Yes'.
'The South Side of the Sky' is one of my faves.
Glass Hammer did a great job with the song too! 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Arassuil wrote:Maybe some old grunts think there is no intelligence in music these days, but the good stuff is out there if one knows where, or ever bothers to look. :)

I've been enjoying Dreamtime very much. Some good 21st century prog rock this!

Well said and well shared.

From someone who could be considered an "old grunt" I say THANK YOU so very much for sharing something new and very enjoyable.

Quite cool..and aggressive. 8)

I am enjoying your share as I type.

The whole tune kicks!!!l. I consider it badazz!!! I am reminded of Santana, Pink Floyd and Primus at their best and that my friend is a high compliment...coming from me.

=====================

Edited to add.. I am still listening. I highly recommend others hear this.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Another nod to Oreo who's name is MUD

I miss posting with you and hope you are well.

Rock on OREO.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby GlassHouse » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:51 pm

You know, if the three of us are going to keep posting in this thread we should come up with some kind of a club name or Guild or something. Sure it's not a big club but what the heck?

Any suggestions for a name?

Warriors at the Edge of Time too psychedelic?
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Arassuil » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:33 pm

FrodoTook wrote:
Arassuil wrote:Maybe some old grunts think there is no intelligence in music these days, but the good stuff is out there if one knows where, or ever bothers to look. :)

I've been enjoying Dreamtime very much. Some good 21st century prog rock this!

Well said and well shared.

From someone who could be considered an "old grunt" I say THANK YOU so very much for sharing something new and very enjoyable.

Quite cool..and aggressive. 8)

I am enjoying your share as I type.

The whole tune kicks!!!l. I consider it badazz!!! I am reminded of Santana, Pink Floyd and Primus at their best and that my friend is a high compliment...coming from me.

=====================

Edited to add.. I am still listening. I highly recommend others hear this.

Glad it was enjoyable! I quite like it myself!

"Dreamtime – Psychedelic garage band in Brisbane Australia.

Drifting off during extended meditative jams, the music plays through us. Inspiration comes to us through psychedelic bands from 1968 – 1971 among other places. We are mindful in creating personal journeys to help draw listeners out of their frontal lobe consciousness and into sonic fantasies.

Drums – Tara Wardrop

Bass – Catherine Maddin

Guitar – Zac Anderson"

Their LP is available for download here on their site.

As for the 'old grunt' bit, I just got off a discussion about how there is "no" good music being made these days. I generally tend to agree having sat through much of a "hot 30" music show Sunday featuring either lip-syncing bints writhing around, hideous rap babble, or choreographed teen boy bands. But there is some good gems out there. They just need finding.

Now, I'll give you some Dirty Three. Not sure if this would be considered “Prog Rock” as defined by the three guild/club members of this thread, but its submitted for your consideration :).

And now for a bit of the old…
ELP - Fanfare for The Common Man
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:59 am

First of all, a major shout out to Dunny, who is with us. Thank you for grooving with us and for your shares as well Dunny. 8)

GlassHouse wrote:You know, if the three of us are going to keep posting in this thread we should come up with some kind of a club name or Guild or something. Sure it's not a big club but what the heck?

Any suggestions for a name?

We could start a new thread in the music forum and or in the guilds forum. As far as a name goes...possibly...I am just throwing out...

PROG

Prog Rockers Official Guild

Starting a new thread in the Guild Forum "might" just attract some new members who might just share many things new to all of us.

Just some thoughts.

Thank you GlassHouse, for making me think. :)

Back in my prime here at TORC I was quite aggressive about starting new guilds / alliances.

GlassHouse wrote:

Not too psychedelic for me. 8)

Thank you for sharing. I am enjoying it now. 1975? I am wondering why I never heard this before. Maybe, I did . Even if I did, right now it sounds brand new to me and I thank you. I love the flute play ( being the big Tull fan I am ). I love the thematic feel of the tune. 8)

At 5:52, it gets really shrill..which is interesting to hear. Then the shrill goes away. Later in the tune, I am reminded fondly of King Crimson. I mean that as a compliment.

Thanks again.

====================

Edited to add...I know now that I have heard this before....I just had to continue listening through it again to remember. I will say that I have not heard it since 1975 and it is GRAND to hear again.

I might well have been high on something back them. 8) I am glad that now I still get high on the music without chemicals. 8)

I thought the bands name...HawkWind felt familiar. Some freind of mine just had to have had the album and turned me onto it.

Once again..I thank you. I am still enjoying it. Very much. Black Sabbath like..at times. 8)

Arassuil wrote:
Now, I'll give you some Dirty Three. Not sure if this would be considered “Prog Rock” as defined by the three guild/club members of this thread, but its submitted for your consideration :).

I consider it "Prog Rock".

I enjoyed it...very much...and thank you for sharing it.

I just found this one by Dirty Three
which I enjoy very much. It has an a epic Prog Rock feel to me. 8)

Thank you for prompting me to explore. 8)
Last edited by FrodoTook on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Arassuil wrote:As for the 'old grunt' bit, I just got off a discussion about how there is "no" good music being made these days. I generally tend to agree having sat through much of a "hot 30" music show Sunday featuring either lip-syncing bints writhing around, hideous rap babble, or choreographed teen boy bands. But there is some good gems out there. They just need finding.

Ara, I definitely took no offence to the "old grunt" bit. I, too, have read about how there is "no" good music being made these days. Especially on YouTube, which I visit quite a bit to hear classics and in search of new Prog Rock. The debates there can indeed get a bit dicey. I find it very cool when someone offers something new which I enjoy. I agree with you that there are "still" more bands to enjoy. Prog Rock is not a dead genre. One just has to take the time to follow up on recommendations. 8)

Like you did with The Dirty Three. 8)

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Arassuil » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:41 pm

FrodoTook wrote:Ara, I definitely took no offence to the "old grunt" bit. I, too, have read about how there is "no" good music being made these days. Especially on YouTube, which I visit quite a bit to hear classics and in search of new Prog Rock. The debates there can indeed get a bit dicey. I find it very cool when someone offers something new which I enjoy. I agree with you that there are "still" more bands to enjoy. Prog Rock is not a dead genre. One just has to take the time to follow up on recommendations. 8)

:thumbsup:
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Arassuil » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:41 pm

FrodoTook wrote:Ara, I definitely took no offence to the "old grunt" bit. I, too, have read about how there is "no" good music being made these days. Especially on YouTube, which I visit quite a bit to hear classics and in search of new Prog Rock. The debates there can indeed get a bit dicey. I find it very cool when someone offers something new which I enjoy. I agree with you that there are "still" more bands to enjoy. Prog Rock is not a dead genre. One just has to take the time to follow up on recommendations. 8)

:thumbsup:
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Dunthule » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:29 pm

On a recommendation, a friend said I should listen to Renaissance's "Turn of the Cards' from the mid-70's. I had never heard of the group, but love the album.
Has anyone else heard of the group and am I just late to the party? ;)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Dunthule wrote:On a recommendation, a friend said I should listen to Renaissance's "Turn of the Cards' from the mid-70's. I had never heard of the group, but love the album.

Thanks for the recommendation Dunny.

I am enjoying Renaissance's "Turn of the Cards' right now. The sounds are grand!!!

I thought I was well experienced in 70's music but am glad to find they are new to me. I am enjoying your share very much. Very soothing.

I like being soothed. :)

I am reminded of Grace Slick with Jefferson Airplane which is a high compliment.

Very cool. 8)

Love the piano..love the transitions..love the ethereal feel.

She sounds elvish. :)

Thank you so much Dunny. 8)

I keep coming back...editing my first response...as I listen to this to say more.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby GlassHouse » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:56 pm

I had he album Scheherazade and Other Stories way back when, sorry to say I don't remember much about it except for Annie Haslam's amazing voice....I was just looking them up on All Music dot com, did you know she had a five octave range? (!)
Will have to check them out again on Youtube.

Arassuil, if I can post Hawkwind you can certainly post Dirty Three Pretty interesting stuff...so that's a violin huh? would never have guessed.

The track posted by FrodoTook has a completely different feel, very nice
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:51 pm

GlassHouse wrote:I had he album Scheherazade and Other Stories way back when, sorry to say I don't remember much about it except for Annie Haslam's amazing voice....I was just looking them up on All Music dot com, did you know she had a five octave range? (!)
Will have to check them out again on Youtube.

Arassuil, if I can post Hawkwind you can certainly post Dirty Three Pretty interesting stuff...so that's a violin huh? would never have guessed.

The track posted by FrodoTook has a completely different feel, very nice

Annie Haslam's voice is indeed amazing. Hearing her really did remind me fondly of Grace Slick at times.

so that's a violin huh?

GlassHouse,

5:32-5:45 is pretty awesome in my opinion. 8) Takes me to a good place.

This is quite nice as well. Just found this Nick Cave & Warren Ellis composition. Nick Cave is one of the Dirty Three and Warren Ellis is the violinist. I am glad I found it and am happy to share.

And this is a very nice collection. Please check it out.

I am listening to The Road now...and am traveling.

The sound quality is awesome and the trip well worthwhile. Their music is all new to me and I am so enjoying where they are letting me go.

Many many thanks to ARA...for turning me onto Dirty Three...prompting me to explore and enjoy.

As I type, I am relistening to this.... which I am loving. I am reminded of the joy I feel when I hear Peter Gabriels Passion.

This is prog rock...to me. My favorite genre.

I have never seen the movie but sure am glad I heard the music.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Just to give the following links a better chance of being checked out...I am doing another post..instead of editing my previous one.

I am reminded of the joy I feel when I hear Peter Gabriels Passion.

I hear Elvin women singing at 3:15.

This is prog rock...to me. My favorite genre.

I have never seen the movie and probably never will.

But sure am glad to hear it again...right now.

Enjoy has a Kraftwerk thing going on. 8)

Whatever your belief or non-belief is, I highly recommend listening to all of Peter Gabriels Soundtrack to Passion.
This is grand music to me.

I really do hope this is new and enjoyable to someone who has never heard it.

Be patient and just let it take you where it will.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:12 pm

GlassHouse wrote:
a little comedy

Big Train - Keith Emerson

Just watched this and enjoyed.

Thank you for sharing GlassHouse.

I am still smiling and laughing as I watch it.

Synthesizer battle then Synthesizers on a camels back. 8)

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Dunthule » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:10 pm

FrodoTook wrote:
Dunthule wrote:On a recommendation, a friend said I should listen to Renaissance's "Turn of the Cards' from the mid-70's. I had never heard of the group, but love the album.

Thanks for the recommendation Dunny.

I am enjoying Renaissance's "Turn of the Cards' right now. The sounds are grand!!!

I thought I was well experienced in 70's music but am glad to find they are new to me. I am enjoying your share very much. Very soothing.

I like being soothed. :)

I am reminded of Grace Slick with Jefferson Airplane which is a high compliment.

Very cool. 8)

Love the piano..love the transitions..love the ethereal feel.

She sounds elvish. :)

I keep coming back...editing my first response...as I listen to this to say more.

As always, you are welcome FT! :)

Hey, would any of you classify the early "Alan Parsons Project" as prog rock?
Ex: Tales of Mystery and Imagination, I Robot, Pyramid...
Or is a better description 'Concept Album' versus prog rock. ?
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Dunthule wrote:Hey, would any of you classify the early "Alan Parsons Project" as prog rock?
Ex: Tales of Mystery and Imagination, I Robot, Pyramid...
Or is a better description 'Concept Album' versus prog rock. ?

Hey Dunny

I think an "album" / "cd" can be both conceptual and prog rock.

Some conceptual "albums" / "cds" which I enjoy are definitely not prog rock to me.

Like with The Beach Boys...Pet Sounds and The Beatles...Sgt. Peppers ( which many feel is conceptual but John did not ). I do feel Sgt. Peppers has a conceptual feel thou and understand that mindset.

I have a hard time separating some "albums" / "cds" ( which I will now refer to as collections ) into strictly conceptual versus prog rock.

Some which I consider "conceptual prog rock" are...

Thick as a Brick

Passion Play

Tommy

Quadrophenia

Close to the Edge

Tales from Topographic Oceans

Passion...The Last Temptation

I am not well versed in early "Alan Parsons Project" nor in Journey but feel they are in the group as well.

I will say that I do love what I consider conceptual prog rock and will check out more "Alan Parsons Project" and Journey.

Thank you for prompting me to think and enjoy music in new ways.

Thematic conceptual progressive rock.

I do love it. :)

Just searched, found and am listening to Alan Parsons Project..I Robot. which has a "Number9" and "Passion" feel to me. I love it!!!

Yes...this is "PROG ROCK" which I have never heard before.

Awesome!!! I am enjoying the stereo...VERY MUCH. 8)

I highly recommend my fellow prog rock friends listen to the above..for the first time or for the most recent time. It really is that good to me.
Last edited by FrodoTook on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Dunthule » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:28 am

FT, thanks for your thoughts and insight. (As always! :) )

If you enjoy I Robot, try Tales of Mystery and imagination. All of the songs are based on stories from Edgar Allen Poe.
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:28 am

FT, thanks for your thoughts and insight. (As always! :) )

If you enjoy I Robot, try Tales of Mystery and imagination. All of the songs are based on poems from Edgar Allan Poe.
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Dunthule wrote:FT, thanks for your thoughts and insight. (As always! :) )

If you enjoy I Robot, try Tales of Mystery and imagination. All of the songs are based on poems from Edgar Allan Poe.

Thanks Dunny.

I will check them out.

Some other collections which I consider "conceptual prog rock" but failed to mention earlier are...

Pink Floyds'

Dark Side of the Moon

and

The Wall.

Welcome to the Machine has that feel for me as well.

As does ELPs' Brain Salad Surgery.

Of course all of those are from a while back. I am just saying that I have loved the genre for a long time now and am loving it so much when folks turn me on to more of it...that which is new to me. Or which reminds me to seek out and listen to something which still remains dear to me but have not heard in a very long time.

Thanks again so much for sharing. :)

The feeling is mutual my friend. I have always enjoyed your thoughts and insights as well.:) Always nice to learn from a good person.

Very cool. 8)

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Arassuil » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Wow.... so far behind I am. Meant to answer this one a while ago....

Love Renaissance! In several incarnations! And Illusion too!

I got a CD awhile back by Renaissance called Innocence. Quite good, especially Kings and Queens.

This was a re-release of the first Renaissance album, and had some extra tracks on it.

The band I think is better known with with the line-up with Annie Heslam fronting. One of my favourites is this performance of Mother Russia.

Some of the original Renaissance line-up re-formed some years later as Illusion, of which I found this gem.

I also found a great live jam of Widdicombe Fair with a short-lived, transitional Renaissance line-up.

It sure looked like they were having fun. I agree with one of the youtube commentators in that this seems more like Fairport Convention than Renaissance.

This next link could fit in the Stereo thread, or here in the Prog Rock thread for its 4 plus minute opening. Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! :)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Welcome back Ara.

I enjoyed your Renaissance links...very much.

Arassuil wrote:
This next link could fit in the Stereo thread, or here in the Prog Rock thread for its 4 plus minute opening. Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! :)

Well shared!!! I have heard this song before ( in a very abbreviated form ). But had never heard this particular version. I enjoyed it VERY MUCH and you are so very right. It suits both threads well. Stereo and Prog Rock. I am enjoying it so much now with my ear buds. 8)

I saw where Death Cab For Cutie has many tunes on YouTube. I noticed one collection of 100 of their top hits there. I am off to hear more.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby GoodSam » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Ara,

Big thumbs up on I Will Possess Your Heart. One of the greatest bass lines in the last decade.
GoodSam
Mariner

Re:

Postby FrodoTook » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:41 pm

FrodoTook wrote:GlassHouse

Your lower link to "Thinking Plague" does not work but thankfully your upper link to "Ozric Tentacles" does. Nice collection there. Enjoying as I type. Very cool.

I especially enjoy Spacebase

Awesome music with awesome video. A win / win. :thumbsup:

Still loving this thread.

Thank you Oreo for initiating it.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Many thanks to all who have shared their joy in this thread. I am enjoying with you. 8)

Please share more. 8)

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Re: Prog Rock!

Postby GlassHouse » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 pm

OK, I came across this link on facebook
an interview with Daevid Allen of Gong
http://psychedelicbaby.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... allen.html

While staying in Paris you met Terry Riley and soon the doors to all jazz clubs were open. Tell us about times in Paris?

Actually they were always closed to us because we were too weird.

I did a poetry reading accompanied by Terry playing a motorcycle engine. It was not what they wanted. The doors remained closed. On the other hand Chet Baker was our friend so we got in at least.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: But he didn't say what kind of motorcycle engine it was!!!
GlassHouse
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru