Prog Rock!

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Re: Prog Rock!

Postby GlassHouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 am

Does anyone know the band English Electric? What do you think of them?
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Arassuil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:05 pm

GlassHouse wrote:Does anyone know the band English Electric? What do you think of them?

Hmm.... vaguely familiar... I'll go see if it's who I think it is.

I heard this song on my commute this morning on 4ZzZ. It brought to mind a mix of early Jefferson Airplane and Pink Floyd. Once I got to work I found it on youtube.
I could put this in the stereo thread, the Rock on thread, or here. Hope someone enjoys it as much as I. 

Scout Niblet – Can’t Fool Me Now
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hzHtb-J701c

Hey Ara.

Cool for me to see you.

The above link is to some very aggressive YES. Best appreciated with head phones / ear buds.

Volume..as needed.

Really good to see you Ara.

I am listening to and enjoying your Scout Niblett - Can't Fool me Now now as I type.

I thank you for sharing.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:51 am

This was posted by a friend on fb this morning: Don't think I ever heard it before.

very late Soft Machine, after a number of personnel changes.
Soft machine never featured a guitar in the early days, but the addition of John Etheridge didn't hurt them a bit. I really like this tune.
Tale of Taliesin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gpaMTgBCx0

I'll leave that link because it's a good live version but here's a more complete studio version (7 min instead of 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPrNENV3dGA
Last edited by GlassHouse on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Sinister71 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:47 pm

when I think of Prog rock I think of bands like Dream Theater, Blind Guardian (who did a whole Tolkien themed album), Rush, ELP, Yes, those sort of bands. Gotta say I love that type of stuff
Sinister71
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:20 am

Hey Sinister71, nice to meet another fan of progressive rock.
I guess I have been a little fast and loose with the stuff I've been posting in here...but there's a lot of progressive rock that isn't in the main stream that should be considered - a lot of it I'm just finding out about myself. I know very little about Italian prog for instance but I understand there is a thriving prog scene in Italy today, just haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.
The stuff from the Canterbury scene is definitely prog rock, just of another school. It's been around since the beginning in the late 60's early 70's and has always been considered prog. Great stuff.
I've also posted some stuff that could probably more accurately be called psychedelic music, like Hawkwind. But they were formed in the same era as prog's beginning, are from the UK and IMO there's enough crossover in style and influences, what with the science fiction lyrics and the extended tracks, that they can and should be considered here.

I'm also interested in bands that are keeping progressive rock going topday, people like Steve Wilson and Porcupine Tree and some of the others that have been posted in this thread. I'd love to learn about more new bands and if they aren't exactly n the mold of the classic bands then that's to be expected since most of that stuff around is 40 years old by now. (I feel so old..... :shock: )

But I love the old stuff too - and thanks to YouTube, I keep discovering new things about the classic bands.

Here's a great version of King Crimson's "Starless" from French TV in 1974! Isn't the internet great! :)

[edit; Wow what was Fripp on that day? (9:40ish and after) not his usual restrained self, that's for sure. Why oh why didn't he play like that more often?]

I'm not familiar with Blind Guardian and will definitely check them out on Youtube. Thanks for the tip. :)
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:41 am

2013 Progressive Music Awards: The Story Of The Night

Dave Brock, the only remaining founding member of the space-rock band Hawkwind, was given the Lifetime Achievement Award at this year’s Prog Awards.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:05 pm

a friend posted this on facebook, a version of the old the old Mahavishnu Orchestra tune, "meeting of the spirits" done live by Rovo and System 7 (never heard of them before but I see that Steve Hillage, the guitarist fro Gong, is a member of System 7). Really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY3QXJ7WyzQ
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:53 pm

Lots of great music here (especially Mahavishnu Orchestra and King Crimson) but I don't think I noticed The Mars Volta. My personal favourite of theirs is Bedlam in Goliath.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:12 pm

The Brits here may be able to see this, I don't know how to get the Vintage TV channel in the US

TOYAH & ROBERT FRIPP PRESENT MY VINTAGE

THE FRIPPS SELECT THEIR FAVOURITE MUSIC VIDEOS FROM THEIR HOME IN A BRAND NEW SPECIAL FOR VINTAGE TV

A new episode of My Vintage presented by Toyah and husband Robert Fripp premieres on Sunday 16 February t 17.00 on Freesat, cable channel Vintage TV.
Tune in for a very first as legendary King Crimson guitarist joins Toyah in selecting a selection of music videos…

From Vintage TV..

She’s our Vintage TV presenter and princess of punk and he’s played with Bowie and Blondie and is one of the world’s greatest guitarists. Now Toyah Willcox and her musician, composer and record producer husband Robert Fripp, of prog rockers King Crimson, invite us into their Worcestershire home for a joint My Vintage (16th Feb, 5pm), giving a fascinating and intimate insight into the records they are both passionate about and telling the tales behind their top tracks. What a couple! What a coup for My Vintage!

GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:27 pm

BBC’s Genesis documentary spurs reunion rumors

I really hope Peter still has the hat.

GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Salmacis81 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:47 pm

GlassHouse wrote:BBC’s Genesis documentary spurs reunion rumors

I really hope Peter still has the hat.

I'd only be interested if the prog-era 5-man lineup were to reunite. But Collins apparently had some nerve damage related to his drumming a few years ago, so don't know if he's capable of handling the skins.

I will say that I have no interest in seeing the pop-era trio, however I might reconsider if they had Hackett playing with them instead of Stuermer (no disrespect to Daryl Stuermer). I'd love to see the 4-man A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering lineup do some stuff.
Salmacis81
Citizen of Imladris

Postby orodreth111 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:10 pm

..Great to see this thread alive and licking. Agreed on the Genesis lineup for a reunion.

Got to see The Moody Blues last month at the Mohegan Sun. Fun show, John Lodge was great.

Saw Yes with Jon Davidson in August, they were good but Davidson is no Jon Anderson and it just isn't the same.
orodreth111
Ranger of the North

Postby GlassHouse » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:43 am

Well I don't know about a reunion but I have tickets to see Steve Hackett when he comes to town with his band in early Nov.
Steve Hackett (Genesis Revisited II)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtGzDHoALP0
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:38 am

Saw them last night, Here's a couple of clips from other concerts on the tour.

Freaking great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNU92K-lOLo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkHpGmhGpWs
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:03 am

New film in the making on the Canterbury scene or early prog
Here's the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx22QbzQ2kw
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby FrodoTook » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Good to see you Glasshouse.

Your latest share sounds GREAT. Thank you.

I need to go back thru this thread and check out the earlier shares.

I do love good Prog Rock.
Last edited by FrodoTook on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby FrodoTook » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Hello Cookie Man.

It's been quite a while.

Hoping all is well with all.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:31 pm

hey FT!
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby orodreth111 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:00 pm

..RIP Chris Squire, bassist and founding member of Yes, a true titan of Rock. Sad day.... :(
orodreth111
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:39 pm

This is happening too much these days....

Keith Emerson passed away at age 71

Rest in Peace.

Fanefare For The Common Man
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby GlassHouse » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:12 am

This is getting to be a bad habit.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:14 am

I posted a concert of ELP in this thread a while back but that is no longer available without subscription so here's the same show on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVAVLLGBkxI

Tarkus at 7 min is is really great stuff.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Re: Prog Rock! WBUR friend Miss you! MACUNIX!

Postby chris dorf » Tue May 31, 2016 9:24 pm

Hey Macunix...I and Kim G. have kept up over facebook and we often say we miss you...
chris dorf

https://www.facebook.com/tungsten.northernmost?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/chris.dorf.1
chris dorf
Petitioner to the Council

Postby orodreth111 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Hey guys! Glad to see this thread still going strong! Got an AWESOME birthday present yesterday, My girlfriend got us tickets to see ARW in october. For those of you that don't know this is the line-up of Anderson-Rabin-Wakeman who are reforming a morphed version of YES, complete with a new album and tour. I am PSYCHED!!!! As some of you know I am a HUGE YES head. I'm also seeing YES in august. Although we have lost Chris Squire the band is still going pretty strong with Billy Sherwood filling in Squires immense shoes and doing a fine job. I'm not a huge fan of Jon Davidson who is the current lead vocalist but he's not terrible and Steve Howe is still as magnificent as ever. What I am secretly longing for is perhaps another 'UNION" type tour, with both bands merging into YES. That would be awesome! Steve and Jon Anderson need to bury the hatchet. The current YES line-up is performing two albums live, DRAMA, which hasn't been played at all in 30 years and two movements from TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS, The Revealing Science of God and Ritual. Tales is perhaps my all time favorite album and with Geoff Downes playing keys for the band right now DRAMA is a good choice as he was the key player on that album, along with Trevor Horn singing. Back in 1980 when DRAMA came out I remember being veeerrrry skeptical as Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman had left the band and Squire replaced them with the BUGGLES lol. What came of it was DRAMA a FANTASTIC YES album with some classic tunes including "Into The Lense" and "Tempus Fugit". When Anderson rejoined YES for 90215 they never played these songs live again. Now they are. A few weeks ago Trevor Horn joined them on stage to sing Tempus Fugit, very cool! Here it is..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3OzKpnqLt0

Anyhoo, I'll give you a concert review after the shos!
orodreth111
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru