Great Aussie Music Thread

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Great Aussie Music Thread

Postby LadyCoralie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:28 pm

My oh My. watching Live Earth Sydney on the tellie helped me realise how awesome some of our talent is and made me quite sentimental really as I heard some of the oldies eg. Crowded House and Peter Garrett (who didn't perform, boo hoo) sing. So for all the Aussie music fans I shall post my fav's here. Feel free to post some of yours as well please. We can cover every genre you like from traditional to the latest sounds.

Cheers and enjoy.

My first pick is Midnight Oil. The band with a message. Image
A lot of their lyrics were uncomfortable to hear but they helped to nudge us from our complacency and wake us up to a lot of issues that Aussies had swept under the carpet. Nothing 'comfortably numb' about them for sure.

Beds are Burning Sung live at the Sydney Olympics caused a lot of controversy at the time.

"Beds Are Burning" is a 1988 hit single by Australian rock band Midnight Oil, the first track from their album Diesel and Dust. It reached #1 in the South African charts, #3 in the Netherlands Top 40, #5 in the France Top 50, #6 in the UK charts, #17 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and in Sweden. The song is a plea for the land rights of Indigenous Australians: "The time has come, to say fair's fair, to pay the rent, to pay our share."

It is one of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll.

This song was not the first song from the album to be released as as a single; in fact, the first to be released was "The Dead Heart."

In 2000, the band performed the song at the closing ceremony of the Olympic Games in Sydney but under the title "The Time Has Come".

In 2004, the German Eurodance group Novaspace covered this song.

In 2006 the Australian Treasurer Peter Costello used the lyrics of this song in the Australian Parliament to make a point about public leasing of buildings by the opposition Australian Labor Party. This was designed to clearly make fun of Midnight Oil member turned Labor MP Peter Garrett and included a spoof of his trademark dancing style.

In 2006, Pearl Jam covered the song as a tag to their hit song "Daughter" during the Australian leg of their tour.

The song was used in the first episode of The Singing Bee.

wikipedia.org

BTW 45 degrees Celsius is 113 degrees Farenheit.

Beds are Burning

Out where the river broke
The bloodwood and the desert oak
Holden wrecks and boiling diesels
Steam in forty five degrees

The time has come
To say fair's fair
To pay the rent
To pay our share
The time has come
A fact's a fact
It belongs to them
Let's give it back

How can we dance when our earth is turning
How do we sleep while our beds are burning

The time has come to say fairs fair
to pay the rent, now to pay our share

Four wheels scare the cockatoos
From Kintore East to Yuendemu
The western desert lives and breathes
In forty five degrees

The time has come
To say fair's fair
To pay the rent
To pay our share
The time has come
A fact's a fact
It belongs to them
Let's give it back

The time has come to say fair's fair
To pay the rent, now to pay our share
The time has come, a fact's a fact
It belongs to them, let's give it back

Last edited by LadyCoralie on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:11 pm

I'm not familiar with current Aussie acts, but I loved "The Little River Band", "Men At Work" and "Air Supply" from the '80's.
Image Buster Crabbe as Buck Rogers

Sci-Fi and Other Stuff InThe TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!
:D Wins: 17
:x Losses: 11

Fair winds and following seas.....Toby.

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby LadyCoralie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:49 pm

Hey Calma! I loved the Little River Band, Men at work and Air Supply too. They were great. I shall post all sorts of music here. Should be fun.

Help is on its way-Little River Band

Land Down Under -Men at work

All Out of Love - Air supply

these are certainly classics and were played on the charts in the U.S. for sure.

Here's another group I'm sure you have heard of.

Savage Garden - Truly,Madly, deeply.

I'll be your dream
I'll be your wish
I'll be your fantasy.
I'll be your hope
I'll be your love
Be everything that you need.
I love you more with every breath
Truly madly deeply do..
I will be strong I will be faithful
'Cos I'm counting on a new beginning.
A reason for living.
A deeper meaning.
Chorus

I want to stand with you on a mountain.
I want to bathe with you in the sea.
I want to lay like this forever.
Until the sky falls down on me...
Verse 2

And when the stars are shining brightly
In the velvet sky,
I'll make a wish
Send it to heaven
Then make you want to cry..
The tears of joy
For all the pleasure and the certainty.
That we're surrounded
By the comfort and protection of..
The highest power.
In lonely hours.
The tears devour you..
I want to stand with you on a mountain,
I want to bathe with you in the sea.
I want to lay like this forever,
Until the sky falls down on me...
Bridge

Oh can't you see it baby?
You don't have to close your eyes
'Cos it's standing right before you.
All that you need will surely come...

I'll be your dream
I'll be your wish
I'll be your fantasy.
I'll be your hope
I'll be your love
Be everything that you need.
I'll love you more with every breath
Truly madly deeply do...
Chorus

Savage Garden - an Australian pop duo that enjoyed major international success between 1997 and 2000. The band was composed of Darren Hayes (vocals) and Daniel Jones (keyboards, sequencing, and guitar). They had a string of hits in the late nineties, and are best remembered today for their ballad "Truly Madly Deeply", which is considered their signature song and songs "To the Moon and Back", "I Knew I Loved You" and "I Want You".

In 1993, multi-instrumentalist and producer Daniel Jones placed an advertisement in Brisbane newspaper Time Off seeking a vocalist for his five-piece band Red Edge. Darren Hayes, who was studying at a university in Brisbane at the time, responded and was asked to join immediately after his first audition.

In June 1994, Darren and Daniel left Red Edge to pursue a career together. The new duo was named "Savage Garden" – a name taken from The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice ("The mind of each man is a savage garden...") of which Darren was a fan.

By the end of that year, the pair had penned enough songs for a demo tape, which they sent to various record companies around the world. In 1995, they entered the studio to work on their eponymous debut album.

wikipedia.org

More info can be found at www.savagegarden.com
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:22 pm

My favorite Little River Band song.
I played the poochies out of the 45! :D

Reminnising

The other songs you listed were my favorites for those groups and to my embarrassment, Savage Garden, though I heard of them, I'm not all that familiar with. Now if you ask my girlfriend....
Well, she'll tell ya all about them. :D

And for pity's sake, how could I forget to mention Olivia Newton-John?
:shock:

Olivia
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Dunthule » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:58 am

There's been great rock-n-roll from Australia. :thumbsup:

Isn't AC/DC from Australia? 8)

I was in Australia when Midnight Oil's first album was released.
I got back to the States and was glad to hear their music on the radio. :)

And of course, there was INXS. They were huge when I was in Australia. And huge in the States.

I loved Split Enz an Crowded House, but always thought they were New Zealand bands as I thought the Finn brothers (in both bands) were from NZ. But I am probably wrong.
Crowded House is playing in Chicago soon at the House of Blues, but I can't make it up there. :cry2:
Oh well, I'll have to get their new CD. 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:28 pm

Calma wrote:My favorite Little River Band song.
I played the poochies out of the 45! :D

Reminnising

The other songs you listed were my favorites for those groups and to my embarrassment, Savage Garden, though I heard of them, I'm not all that familiar with. Now if you ask my girlfriend....
Well, she'll tell ya all about them. :D

And for pity's sake, how could I forget to mention Olivia Newton-John?
:shock:

Olivia

Yeah Calma, Savage Garden really appeal to girls more, they're pretty lovey dovey. And Strike a light! How could I forget Olivia as well!!!
Here's an oldie but a goodie from our dear Livvie,
If Not for You
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:30 am

Dunthule wrote:There's been great rock-n-roll from Australia. :thumbsup:

Isn't AC/DC from Australia? 8)

I was in Australia when Midnight Oil's first album was released.
I got back to the States and was glad to hear their music on the radio. :)

And of course, there was INXS. They were huge when I was in Australia. And huge in the States.

I loved Split Enz an Crowded House, but always thought they were New Zealand bands as I thought the Finn brothers (in both bands) were from NZ. But I am probably wrong.
Crowded House is playing in Chicago soon at the House of Blues, but I can't make it up there. :cry2:
Oh well, I'll have to get their new CD. 8)

Hey there Dunthule. Yes AC/DC (otherwise nicknamed AckaDacka) are Aussies. Image And you're right about Inxs too. :) Image

As far as Split Enz (get past the really long intro and the song is a classic!) and Crowded House are concerned, ImageAussies have a way of claiming the Kiwis as their own much to the annoyance of the Kiwis I'm sure. :P This goes back for years to when our armies were joined together. It's still in the constitution for New Zealand to be part of Australia if they choose and every now and then they revive the idea. Split Enz were musical geniuses! I also loved their History Never Repeats
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:35 pm

A couple of more from Split Enz. I really think they were ahead of their time.

I Need You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv6oOxn1axw&mode=related&search=

and 'I See Red': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wCbB0uMlkA&mode=related&search=
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:07 pm

Dunthule wrote:A couple of more from Split Enz. I really think they were ahead of their time.

I Need You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv6oOxn1axw&mode=related&search=

and 'I See Red': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wCbB0uMlkA&mode=related&search=

Yeah. They were brilliant mate. I love I see red and I need you. Must add One Step Ahead to that list.

One step ahead of you
stay in motion, keep an open mind
Love is a race won by two
Your emotion, my solitude
If I stop I could lose my head
So I'm losing you instead
Either way I'm confused
You slow me down, what can I do?
There's one particular way I have to choose
One step ahead of you
Always someone makes it hard to move
She says, Boy I want you to stay
But I save it all for another day
If I stop I could lose my head
But I'm ready for romance
Either way I'm confused
I don't know what I'm s'posed to do
I can only stay
One step ahead of you
Da,da,da,da,da
Da,da,da,da
Da,da,da,da
Da,da,da,dum
Stop, I confess sometimes
I don't know where I'm going
Part of me stays with you,
I'm slowing down, what can I do
It's hard to stay one step ahead of you
(Uh huh)
One step ahead of you
Time is running out
Catching up with you
One step ahead of you
When I hold you close
Can I really lose?
One step ahead
Only one step ahead
She's one step ahead of you

Here's some info on the band from the wiki.

Split Enz was a successful New Zealand band during the late 1970s and the early 1980s featuring brothers Tim Finn and Neil Finn. They topped the music charts in New Zealand, Australia and Canada during the early 1980s and built a cult following elsewhere. Their musical style was eclectic and original, incorporating influences from art rock, vaudeville, swing, punk, rock, New Wave and pop.

The band began performing in 1971 at the University of Auckland, where Tim met up with (old friend) Mike Chunn, Robert Gillies, Phil Judd and Noel Crombie. From 1972 the band became a full-time occupation for the friends, and they called the band Split Ends. The spelling was later changed to Split Enz shortly before their first trip to Australia, to signify their New Zealand roots.
Coralie's note: Enz is a shortening of New Zealand which a lot of Aussie refer to as EnZed. We pronounce Z as Zed, thus NZ becomes 'EnZed'. :)

They were widely known for their unique visual presentation. Their costumes and hair were wild, colourful and inventive. The costumes were designed by Noel Crombie, who also designed most of the group's other visual material, such as stage sets, posters, stickers and album covers, as well as directing many of the band's music videos.

The group's career falls into two distinct phases. The first was firmly rooted in the progressive rock scene of the early 1970s. The Enz started out as an adventurous, flamboyant art-rock band; although their music was generally far more accessible than some of their more grandiose European "prog-rock" counterparts. This first incarnation lasted about five years.

New Zealand, 1971 - 74

Split Ends

The origins of Split Enz lay in the friendships that developed amongst a group of young students in the late 1960s and early 1970s. After finishing primary school, Tim Finn attended Sacred Heart College boarding school, where he met Jonathan Michael Chunn. They wrote songs and played music together there over the next five years. In 1971 Tim and Mike went to Auckland University, and there they met and befriended a group of art students including Philip Judd, Geoffrey Noel Crombie and Rob Gillies.

The close friendship between Tim and Phil became the core of Split Enz; the band soon started writing together with Phil working out the basic form and lyrics and Tim (who was strongly influenced by classic British pop like the Beatles, the Kinks, and the Move) providing melodies.

As the partnership developed, they began stockpiling songs and decided to form a group as an outlet for their compositions; the material they wrote together in this original burst of creativity provided the bulk of the Enz repertoire for several years. They approached classical trained violinist Miles Golding, reed player Mike Howard and together with Tim's old friend Mike Chunn they formed a five-piece acoustic group called Split Ends in October 1972.

Interestingly the Move online website mentions an album called Split Ends from 1972

Golding's musical skills helped Tim and Phil to build complex and impressive neo-classical structures and arrangements for their material. After months of rehearsals, and with financial backing provided by their friend and fan Barry Coburn, (who became their first manager), Split Ends issued its debut single, "For You/Split Ends", in April 1973. In March, just before the single was released, Golding left the group to study in London, although they would meet again years later.

In late 1973, Split Ends entered the New Faces TV talent contest, and in preparation for their performance, they recorded "129" and "Home Sweet Home". Soon after, they also recorded the retro-1930s sounding "Sweet Talking Spoon Song", which would become the second single. To their dismay, they finished second-last in the contest, but their performance secured them a 30-minute concert special for Television New Zealand, which was recorded soon after.

In February 1974 the band altered its original name to the patriotic "Split Enz". Phil and Tim decided that, rather than slogging it out on the traditional pub circuit, they would play only in theatres and concert halls, which enabled them to stage a full theatrical presentation, and they began to develop elaborate sets, costumes, hairstyles and makeup.

Their music at this time was in a broadly similar vein to British progressive bands of the time, albeit rather "poppier" and more melodic than many such bands. Family and Traffic were almost certainly important influences, and though they always balked at the frequent comparisons to Genesis, there was an 'English-ness', and a definite eccentricity that was common to both groups, and which set the Enz apart from almost every other local act.

The band might have made considerably less impact had it not been for the unique visual identity they developed. In the autumn of 1974, their old university friend Geoffrey Noel Crombie became a full-time member. He performed on percussion — and spoons — and sang occasionally, but his primary role soon proved to be as Art Director for the band. His wide-ranging talents enabled Split Enz to present a complete audio-visual experience, showcasing their accomplished performances of the intricate Judd – Finn compositions in a unique live show, complete with wild, colourful matching costumes, bizarre hairstyles and makeup, sets and special effects. Their "look" — a mixture of the weird and the whimsical — drew on influences like the circus, music hall, gothic horror, Expressionist cinema, pantomime, psychedelia, surrealism and modern art — all filtered through the band's bizarre demeanour and crazed on-stage antics. The costumes and stage personae also proved to be a useful facade for a group of young men who were, essentially, rather shy personalities.

Like Rayner, Noel was a crucial addition to the band, and in many ways he became the 'heart and soul' of Split Enz. His designs crystallised the band's image, and spanned the entire range of their visual material — stage costumes, hair styles, sets and stage designs, posters, buttons, badges, handbills, promotional photos, tour programmes and album and single covers. He also directed almost all of their music videos, (some co-directed with Rob Gillies). Some of Noel's finest costumes are now part of the collection of the Victorian Museum of Performing Arts.

Crombie's lugubrious stage presence endeared him to audiences and his trademark spoon solos became a favourite feature of Enz shows. His regular 'spot' grew out of one of the typical random events that marked their early shows — they brought Rayner's aunt on stage to perform an impromptu tap dance during one of the songs. It was a roaring success, but they quickly realised that they could not really take her on tour with them, so Noel's spoon playing routine was substituted and soon became an essential part of each show.

In concert, the band was already in a league of its own and their live performances from this era soon became the stuff of legend. An early NZ TV performance had a "desert island" theme; they brought in a load of sand and created a miniature indoor beach, complete with palm trees and a wading pool, with band members dressed as hankie-hatted tourists, reclining on deck chairs and sipping drinks. For a now-legendary live performance of their live epic "Stranger Than Fiction", a woman friend was recruited to crawl across the stage during the song, under pulsing strobe lights, with a bloodied axe apparently embedded in her skull.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:21 pm

Thanks LadyCoralie! :)
I always tell people that the dude who started Cirque de Solei must have got his inspiration from early Split Enz. (Ends). ;)
Just watch some of their early pre-MTV videos and it reminds me of current Cirque shows. The Wiki article even mentions Split Enz getting ideas from the circus, etc. Crazy Kiwis! Gotta love it. 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:48 am

No worries Dunthule. Sorry to be so tardy, been a busy week so far. cheers and enjoy Split Enz mate.
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby RavenTinuviel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:02 am

I came to like Wolfmother after a couple friends raved about them on another website.
I would post their CD cover but it would violate tos. :)
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby basil » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:52 am

Last edited by basil on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basil
Mariner

Postby LadyCoralie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:41 am

Hey Basil, if you like Aboriginal instruments like the didgeridoo, then you're bound to like Treaty by Yothu Yindi :)

Well I heard it on the radio
And I saw it on the television
Back in 1988
All those talking politicians
Words are easy, words are cheap
Much cheaper than our priceless land
But promises can disappear
Just like writing in the sand

Treaty Yeh Treaty Now
Treaty Yeh Treaty Now

Nhima Djatpangarri nhima walangwalang -
Nhe Djatpayatpa nhima gaya nhe-
Matjini.... Yakarray - nhe Djat'pa nhe walang - Gumurrtijararrk Gutjuk -

This land was never given up
This land was never bought and sold
The planting of the Union Jack
Never changed our law at all

Now two rivers run their course
Separated for so long
I'm dreaming of a brighter day
When the waters will be one

Treaty Yeh Treaty Now Treaty Yeh Treaty Now
Treaty Yeh Treaty Now Treaty Yeh Traty Now

Nhima djatpa nhe walang
gumurrtjararrk yawirriny Nhe gaya nhe matjini
Gaya nhe matjini Gaya gaya nhe gaya nhe
Matjini walangwalang Nhema djatpa nhe walang - Nhe gumurrtjarrk nhe ya-

Promises - Disappear - Priceless land - Destiny -

Well I heard it on the Radio - And I saw it on the Television
But promises can be broken Just like writing in the sand

Treaty Yeh
Treaty Now ...

Yothu Yindi hail from the Yolngu (Aboriginal) homelands on the north-east coast of Australia's Northern Territory, a country the Yolngu have occupied and protected for perhaps 40,000 years or more. The Yolngu members of the band celebrate their deep spiritual connections with the land, connections that are kept alive through song and dance and ceremony, public aspects of which are found within the band's recordings and live performances.

LOL RavenTinuviel about Wolfmother's album cover. Yeah I wouldn't post it either. But they are an awe3some band. Here's da link to them live at Live Earth. Here they are..
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby GoodSam » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:07 pm

Don't forget The Newsboys. They put fun back into Christian music.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby basil » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:20 pm

LadyCoralie wrote:Hey Basil, if you like Aboriginal instruments like the didgeridoo, then you're bound to like Treaty by Yothu Yindi

Yes I did, thanx!

When I was at Church Camp, oh gee, more than 40 years ago it was, we little Kansas kids were simply awestruck by a visiting Counselor from "Ostrelya".

For a whole week, we hardly could get our songs sungs without everybody just stopping and listening to him sing. He had a great voice first, and we all just loved to hear him talk.

Plus, he'd scoop up a line of mashed potatoes on his knife and dab that on his veggies to eat. No end of entertainment watching him eat in that outlandish "Aussie" fashion.

:lol:

><><><><
basil
Mariner

Postby LadyCoralie » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:03 pm

Hey Basil, that bloke sounds like a real hoot.

Yep GoodSam, the Newsboys are great mate. My old friend Corey Pryor used to play keyboard for them.

Here they are singing Shine

Here's a girl group that I'm sure you have heard of. :)

The Veronicas

They are twin sisters from a little town not far from me called Beaudesert. Just like the boys from Savage Garden came from just up the road where I live, in Beenleigh. There's a lot of talent round here I guess.
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:49 pm

Isn't Rick Springfield from Australia?
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:38 pm

He sure is. I hear he is going to make a bit of a comeback in General Hospital. We probably wont get to see that down here though. :cry2:
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:38 pm

This is Australia by Gangajang oughta be our National Anthem. It is sooo Australian. The east coast of Oz is mostly tropical or subtropical with some temperate zones. We have great beaches, rainforests and as the song says, cane fileds. There's one at the end of my road. Sugar is a big industry here. Plenty of cane farmers around, and from them we get the great Bundaberg Rum. I think this song is about Bundaberg. A small town about 5 hours drive north of me.

I think I hear the sounds of then,
And people talking,
The scenes recalled, by minute movement,
And songs they fall, from the backing tape.
That certain texture,that certain smell,

To lie in sweat, on familiar sheets,
In brick veneer on financed beds.
In a room, of silent hardiflex
That certain texture, that certain smell,
Brings home the heavy days,
Brings home the the night time swell,

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

The block is awkward - it faces west,
With long diagonals, sloping too.
And in the distance, through the heat haze,
In convoys of silence the cattle graze.
That certain texture, that certain beat,
Brings forth the night time heat.

Laugh and think that this is Australia.

To lie in sweat, on familiar sheets,
In brick veneer on financed beds.
In a room of silent hardiflex
That certain texture, that certain smell,
Brings forth the heavy days,
Brings forth the night time sweat
Laugh and think, this is Australia.
This is Australia etc..

GANGgajang hatched in 1984 at a time when Australia’s live music circuit was bubbling as never before. They were able to tour as often as they wanted, safe in the knowledge that in almost any Australian city or town there would be a solid audience waiting, primed for a night of dancing, drinking and singing. With a pedigree including The Angels, The Riptides and The Aliens it’s not surprising GANGgajang’s music took hold almost immediately. Live performance became one of the band’s strengths, and with the original lineup intact, it still is.

The band’s self-titled debut album, released in 1985 was laden with hit singles, including Giver Of Life, Gimme Some Lovin’, House Of Cards and the classic Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia). In hindsight it’s clear, GANGgajang were making music - melodic, elegant, bright, introspective, rhythmic, hopeful, vivid and infectious – that sounded like no other. GANGgajang’s second album gangAGAIN was released in 1987 and featured the singles American Money, Tree Of Love and Luck Of The Irish.

After an extended break during which band members recorded with side projects or released solo albums, produced other acts, wrote books or held art exhibitions, GANGgajang reunited to record and tour their third album Lingo in 1994. Singles taken from the album included Hundreds Of Languages, Talk To Me and Ordinary World.

Unexpected success in Brazil brought new life to the band. Their first tour in 1995 covered all of the major cities, a tour which could have been scripted by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. They met Brazilian fans who spoke no English apart from the lyrics to GANGgajang’s songs. They soaked up the rhythms of the Samba clubs, climbed Corcovado and hung out with the Cariocas at Copacobana. 2001 saw them complete their third national tour of Brazil, this time with fellow Australians, Yothu Yindi, culminating in a performance on the beach in Rio de Janeiro to a crowd of over 20,000 people.

Album number four, Oceans and Deserts is the natural successor to GANGgajang, gangAGAIN and Lingo. It was written, conceived, plotted and planned on the road and in studios, across oceans geographic and deserts metaphoric (and vice-a-versa). While never losing its edge and spontaneity, the recording process snaked its way through the home studios of Rob, Buzz and Cal, producing songs of the caliber of Nomadsland, Trust, and I Will.

As ever, it finds GANGgajang remaining true to the ideal of lyrics with a spirit of place, evocative arrangements, memorable melodies and organic grooves as wide and supple as any live band in the land. Eighteen years on, they are a rare bird indeed.
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:57 pm

Hullo LadyCoralie. :)

Another group I like that is based in Melbourne but I think originally started in NZ is 'Fur Patrol'.
One in a blue moon I hear 'Lydia' here in the States.
If they could get some air time, they would do very well.
I think they have a new CD due out any time.
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:23 pm

Hey dunthule. I found Fur Patrol's page at myspace. You can hear some of their music there which is really cool. Here's some info I dug up on the band.

Fur Patrol is a rock band, originally from Wellington, New Zealand, now based in Melbourne, Australia.

Their debut EP, Starlifter, was released on the independent Welligton label Wishbone in 1998. Their debut album Pet was released in 2000, and featured the New Zealand number one hit single "Lydia". Other singles from this album are "Now", "Holy", "Andrew" and "Spinning A Line". A highlight for Fur Patrol was when lead singer, Julia Deans won 'best female vocalist' at the 2001 Tui New Zealand Music awards.

In 2001 the band, signed to Warner Music New Zealand, moved to Melbourne, Australia. During 2001-2002 they toured heavily, all over Australia.

Their second album, Collider, was released in New Zealand in 2003 and Australia in 2004. The album was a move away from the catchy, more radio-friendly pop sound of Pet. The first single, "Precious" was heavier and darker than earlier offerings. Its music video, which showed the band members collecting fan's ears, was filmed in Hollywood, California.

Fur Patrol became a three-piece when Guitarist Steve Wells left the band in late 2004.

They released the 4-track long Long Distance Runner EP in May 2007. The band are currently working on their 3rd studio album.

LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:13 pm

Another great Aussie band is Cold Chisel.

Headed by Jimmy Barnes, aka Barnsey, the band are considered to be icons of the Australian Music scene. They were the quintessential Australian pub rock band, with a string of hits throughout the 1970s and 1980s, and they are acknowledged as one of the most popular and successful Australian groups of the period, although this success and acclaim was almost completely restricted to Australia and New Zealand. Shame they never made it overseas, but their song Working Class Man was the theme song for a movie of the same name starring Michael keaton

While typically classified as a hard-driving rock and roll band, the Cold Chisel musical repertoire was extensive. Influences from blues and early rock n' roll was broadly apparent, fostered by the love of those styles by Moss, Barnes and Walker and Small and Prestwich contributed strong pop sensibilities. This allowed volatile rock songs like You Got Nothing I Want to stand beside thoughtful ballads like Choir Girl, pop-flavoured love songs like My Baby and caustic political statements like Khe San. The songs were not overtly political but rather observations of everyday life within Australian society and culture, in which the members with their various backgrounds (Moss was from Alice Springs, Walker grew up in rural New South Wales, Barnes and Prestwich were working-class immigrants from the UK) were quite well able to provide.

Typically then, Cold Chisel's songs were about distinctly Australian experiences, songs like Shipping Steel and "Standing on The Outside" were working class anthems and many others featured characters trapped in mundane, everyday existences, yearning for the good times of the past Flame Trees or for something better from life (Bow River).

Nevertheless, the band's aggressive image, apparent anti-establishment stance and particular popularity among young working-class men (typically, those born in the late 60s and mid-70s) often made them the subject of some disdain, both during their career and in the years following their dissolution.

Alongside contemporaries like The Angels and Midnight Oil, whose rise to popularity came in their wake, Cold Chisel was renowned as one of the most dynamic live acts of their day and from early in their career concerts routinely became sell-out events. But the band was also famous for its wild lifestyle, particularly the hard-drinking Barnes, who played his role as one of the wild men of Australian rock to the hilt, never seen on stage without at least one bottle of vodka and often so drunk he could barely stand upright. Despite this, by 1982 he was a devoted family man who refused to tour without his wife and daughter. All the other band members were also settled or married; Ian Moss had a long term relationship with late actress Megan Williams (she even sang on Twentieth Century) whose own public persona could have hardly been more different. Yet it was the band's public image that often saw them compared less favourably with other important acts like Midnight Oil, whose music and politics (while rather more overt) were often similar but whose image and reputation was far more clean-cut. Cold Chisel remained hugely popular however and by the mid-90s had continued to sell records at such a consistent rate they became the first Australian band to achieve higher sales after their split than during their active years. While repackages and compilations accounted for much of these sales, 1994's Teenage Love album of rarities and two of its singles were Top Ten hits and when the group finally reformed in 1998 the resultant album was also a major hit and the follow-up tour sold out almost immediately.
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:13 pm

I seem to remember Jimmy Barnes having a big solo album out when I was in Sydney Dec 87-Jan 88. One of the songs was the them to movie about a bunch of teenage vampires. (Wild Boys?)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:06 pm

Hey Dunthule. I looked it up. The film is The Lost Boys which curiously enough will be playing on our scifi channel this weekend! Funny huh? Well there are apparently 2 songs featuring Jimmy Barnes in combo with INXS ... another Aussie band. One song is Good Times.

I can't find Laying Down the Law also Barnes/INXS but I'll keep looking for it. I'll try to watch the film (meaning be home at that time) and see if I can recognize it.

Cheers. :)
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:56 pm

LadyCoralie, You are a wealth of information! :) 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:54 pm

Dunthule wrote:LadyCoralie, You are a wealth of information! :) 8)

LOL Dunthule :lol:
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:07 am

Wow! What a find this thread is!

Went to Sounds of Spring a couple weeks ago and thought Kill Devil Hills out of Freo was pretty good. Sort of a rootsy, bluesy, countrish rock band that has a good vibe!

I see the mention of Wolfmother here. I am looking forward with some trepidation to the new release coming next week I believe. They were great when they played Big Day Out years ago, but the last time they did they broke up on stage. So now Andy Stockdale rounded up a new drummer and bass/keyboardist and are having another go. They were billed as openers for AC/DC recently, but the two new songs I've heard hasn't impressed me much at all. So... May some of the songs on the new release be decent.

And there has been much talk on 4zZz about how Peter Garret sold his soul to the Labor party, taking the **ss out of him by playing Midnight Oil's Short Memories.

Others.. I liked John Butler's earlier stuff, with Living being a great live recording.

And Seth Sentry's Waitress Song is a rap tune I actually like!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Return to Music: The Choirs of Eru