Your top 10

Unsling your guitar, pull up a chair, and strum us a chord or two. Come on in to discuss music.

Postby FrodoTook » Mon May 05, 2008 4:03 pm

Hey Krawler

Thanks for sharing

Staind

I took the time to check out some of their tunes. I have heard some of them.

They are fairly recent to me...My take is that they were influenced by Nirvana and Metallica..

Of course...I might be wrong.

I am definitely "old school" ( I am approaching my 55th year on this third rock from the sun ) and will admit I am biased to the Rock of the late 60's / early 70's )...but I do try to keep an open mind to more recent Rock.

Staind's lyrics are better than most recent bands in my opinion. I could relate.

The angst / frustration which comes with life still speaks and influences.

Same as it ever was...just a different window of time.

Rock On 8) Krawler
Last edited by FrodoTook on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby krawler » Mon May 05, 2008 8:00 pm

FrodoTook,

Thanks for being so open minded. The only message boards that I see discussing my favorite music tend to be official band or fan sites (I fail at internet surfing), and the people there can get pretty militant (and vulgar) about how X band is so much better than Y band, and both groups of fans agree that Z band isn't worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as the first two. Meanwhile I like both X and Y equally, and Z as well.

Not that I expected anything of the sort here (the prevalence of proper grammar and spelling alone dispel the very notion), it's just refreshing to actually see open mindedness in action. :thumbsup:

Being in the midst of my 22nd year, I can definitely say that I'm a product of my time and so favor new music over "classic" music. Not that I think it's bad or anything, it just doesn't interest me. The oldest band I listen to would have to be Rage Against the Machine, who came out in the early 90s, otherwise all my favorite became active within the last ten years. Staind is definitely my favorite band overall, and would be in first place if I were just listing bands and not albums, for those reasons you stated. I can't speak for their influences (and honestly I've never taken the time to check out Nirvana or Metallica). The sheer honesty and quality of the lyrics and music speak to me on various levels, but the best thing about them is that each album has shown significant progress in both the musical skills of the band and in the changes in the life of the singer. Their first album was a hard-core rage-fest that can nearly make your ears bleed, a few albums later he's writing a ballad to his first-born daughter. A lot of fans are critical of the softening of the music, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Their singles hardly tell the whole story, and there are numerous gems to be found in the other songs on the albums. Of course, I think the same can be held true of most other bands, since they (or the studios) have to be picky about what to release to the radio stations (which I never listen to any way since every time I find a good rock station it switches to rap and R&B within a few months).

Linkin Park's latest album tops my list here because I find it to be such a creative outbreak from their previous work, and I just love listening to it. Seether's latest come at number two because it also shows fresh creativity, but also because, quite frankly, I've always wanted an album which sounds exactly like it. Rage's third album is just awesomeness in audio-form. In fact, now that I think about it, those top four on my list are actually all tied for first place. :D Though Chapter V will probably be knocked to #2 when Staind releases their sixth album later this year. :)

Hmm, I've rambled on much longer than I originally intended to. Oh well, maybe now you have a little insight into the way I approach music. :)
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Letora » Sun May 18, 2008 3:51 pm

Wow, picking a top ten? That's hard. Here they are in no particular order.

1. Paul Simon - Graceland
2. David Bowie - Hunky Dory
3. The Beatles - Love
4. The Beatles - Abbey Road
5. Simon and Garfunkel - Old Friends
6. Eric Clapton - Complete Clapton
7. Snow Patrol - Final Straw
8. The Shins - Oh Inverted World
9. The Weepies - Say I Am You
10. Bob Dylan - The Essential Bob Dylan
Letora
Ranger of the North

Postby shadowcat » Sun May 18, 2008 11:02 pm

krawler, i know where you coming from on current music. ( now I'm gonna sound ancient ) when i was your age i couldn't stand oldies! why listen to music from the past when there was/is so much great music coming out now! I still feel the way. I think I would listen to more new music if the stations didn't have such lame DJs. because I really don't care what is going on in their lives! All I want is the name of the new stuff and traffic reports.

i really do love Linkin Park, Lov ethe way the 2 voices work together.

My list...for me these have stood the test of time. I could've gone back in time, wanted to add Cab Calloway or like basil Billie Holliday or Janis, maybe another time :P
shadowcat
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arassuil » Tue May 20, 2008 3:32 am

There are well more than ten, and it seems those can vary depending on what day it is. So, right now in the order I thought of them...

• Led Zeppelin - Physical Grafitti
  • James Gang - Rides Again
  • AC/DC - High Voltage
  • Nirvana - Nevermind
  • Cream - Disraeli Gears
  • Talking Heads - Remain in Light
  • The Who - Live at Leeds
  • Blondie - Parallel Lines
  • Yardbirds - Roger the Engineer
  • Rolling Stones - Through the Past, Darkly

About my list... a distinct 60's - 70's leaning, with Nirvana being the most recent.
Reasons I picked these ten...
- I had to have one Led Zep album on there, and the fact 'In My Time of Dying' had just played on my ipod made me pick this one. 15 songs including the title track of the previous album and not a bad one among them. Many not real standouts but some are unforgettable to me and none have been worn out on classic rock radio.

- The Bomber rocked me a lot back in the day, and still sounds great! Other notables are Ashes, the Rain, and I, and Woman.

- This was AC/DC, with the great lyrical sound of Bon Scott. It won me over, and I collected the rest of the Bon Scott releases. Yes, the band was successful, even more so commercially after Brian took over singing, but it just didn't do it for me.

- I never really was a fan of Nirvana until I saw them unplugged on MTV and heard them do a cover of Leadbelly's Where Did You Sleep Last Night. this one got lots of play among the older stuff.

- This Cream album has it all. What else can I say? Even now my head breaks out in the opening riffs of Sunshine of your Love.

- Liked some of the Talking Heads early stuff, but the song Once In A Lifetime rang true with me then on a certain level, and funny, on a certain level, still does.

- This Who album is one of the best live recordings ever. Its not perfect, and the band was a bit off here and there, and that is exactly what makes it so good!

- I got this Blondie album for Christmas because I liked Heart of Glass, but I quickly fell in love with the other tunes, like Picture This, Fade Away and Radiate, 11:59... there isn't a bad one on it! I then tracked down the back catalog.

- The Yardbirds are best known for being the band that greats Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page played in, but they were good in their own right if you get past the few overplayed classic rock radio hits. This album showcased them in their element, with songs like Nazz are Blue, Can't Make Your Way, and He's Always There. They kind of went far out with Turn Into Earth and Ever Since the World Began, but they work. Love it.

- I liked the early Rolling Stones, and this second "greatest hits' album covered the era I loved most.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon May 26, 2008 8:24 pm

Only 10??? You cruel people... At least limiting it to rock helps a little.

Moody Blues--Days of Future Passed
Eric Clapton--Unplugged
Doors--Morrison Hotel
Beatles--Revolver
Rolling Stones--Oh, you pick one, I can't...
Everly Brothers--any Greatest Hits album
Iron Butterfly--Ball
Marvin Gaye--Greatest Hits
and two spots for various compilation albums, like Guitar Legends or Motown

...and if you ever decide to let us expand the list...
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:23 pm

I hear that Morwenna. I limited myself to rock too, as I could do a top ten for blues, a top ten for jazz, and even classical. :)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Nadreck_of_Palain7 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:11 pm

1. Whatever was the last Jefferson Airplane album I have listened to, out of the five with their classic lineup (Surrealistic Pillow, After Bathing at Baxter's, Crown of Creation, Bless it's Pointed Little Head, Volunteers).
2. Sergeant Pepper - Beatles
3. Revolver - Beatles
4. Under the Big Black Sun - X
5. Television - Television
6. Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop - Jeff Beck
7. The Very Best of Cream - Cream
8. Notorious Byrd Brothers - Byrds
9. Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra
10. Greatest Hits - Mamas and Papas

There are some classical and jazz recordings I could mention also, but my very favorites tend to be scattered among multiple recordings. Plus sometimes I feel weird about liking Richard Wagner, since his biggest fan was Hitler.
Nadreck_of_Palain7
Ranger of the North

Postby sandra » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:40 pm

Wow! there are many impressive names and albums listed. I have a few of those albums and other albums not listed by some of those groups. :)

Krawlers list shames me. I've only heard of one of those groups on his list but its good to see Frodo taking an interest in them and checking some out. Perhaps Krawler you could check out one of Frodo's favourite groups, The Ink Spots. He grew up listening to them :D

I can't believe no one has mentioned Status Quo. Great group who are still going strong today. I'm going to add a few more that I like and by groups that haven't been mentioned already. My actual favourites list would be endless.

Savage Garden - Savage Garden
Big Bam Boom - Hall and Oates
The Raw and the Cooked - Fine Young Cannibals
Agent Provocateur - Foreigner
Hotel California - Eagles
Greatest Hits - Roxette
The Friends of Mr Cairo - Jon & Vangelis
Greatest Hits - Mike and the Mechanics

Anything and everything Motown..I have many albums mixed and by single artists..and I love every song!
sandra
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:38 pm

Sandra, I also love most anything Motown! And you have Foreigner and the Eagles on your list....two favs as well. As you and most others stated,it is really hard to just stick to ten. ;)
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Beleg Faeron » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:52 pm

1 ~ Minor Threat - (self entitled)
2 ~ Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
3 ~ Bauhaus - In the Flat Field
4 ~ Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bullocks
5 ~ Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
6 ~ Slayer - Reign in Blood
7 ~ Slayer - South of Heaven
8 ~ Metallica - Kill 'em All
9 ~ The Beatles - Let it Be
10 ~ David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Beleg Faeron
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Inwe-Taralom » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:13 pm

Hmm, this'll be hard, I wanna pick from my top 10 bands (once I figure those out), but then I remembered there's a little possibility that there may be an album that I like better, that's not from the top 10 bands. But that's doubtful...

1. Underoath - 'Define The Great Line'
2. AFI - 'Decemberunderground'
3. Avenged Sevenfold - 'Avenged Sevenfold'
4. Lacuna Coil - 'Karmacode'
5. Bullet For My Valentine - 'Scream Aim Fire'
6. Cute is What We Aim For - 'Rotation'
7. From First To Last - 'From First To Last'
8. Within Temptation - 'The Heart of Everything'
9. Lostprophets - 'Liberation Transmission'
10. The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - 'Don't You Fake It'

Well, that sure took a while...especially ordering them. :wink:

Yes, I know it's all newer stuff... :wink:
Inwe-Taralom
Ranger of the North

Postby krawler » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:03 pm

Well, several months have passed, new albums have come out, and my favorites have shifted. Once again, it's difficult to narrow it down to ten albums out of everything I have, much less put them in a definitive order, but this is close enough to what I'm favoring at the moment:

1. "The Illusion of Progress" - Staind
2: "The Fabled City" - Tom Morello: The Nightwatchman
3. "Minutes to Midnight" - Linkin Park
4. "The Battle of Los Angeles" - Rage Against the Machine
5. "Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces" - Seether
6. "Chapter VII: Hope and Sorrow" - Sevendust
7. "Revelations" - Audioslave
8. "14 Shades of Grey" - Staind
9. "Break the Cycle" - Staind
10. "Out of Exile" - Audioslave

Hmm. I really wish I was able to expand my selection of artists. It feels like I rarely add anyone new to my collection nowadays.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Ponyboy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:23 am

1) Fleetwood Mac's RUMOURS
2) U2's ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND
3) The Beatles REVOLVER
4) Queen's THE WORKS
5) Tom Petty's FULL MOON FEVER
6) Stevie Nicks' BELLA DONNA
7) Lindsey Buckingham's OUT OF THE CRADLE
8) The Band...THE LAST WALTZ
9) The Police SYNCHRONICITY