And what are you reading now continued (again)?

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Re: And what are you reading now continued (again)?

Postby Otaku-sempai » Fri May 01, 2020 7:24 am

My wife's co-worker Kelly Sedinger has been a published author for some while now. I've just started his supernatural thriller, The Chilling Killing Wind.
Tonight, former detective John Lazarus will finally put his old life behind him. He has a new job as a teacher, a new home, and a new love. All he has to do is get through tonight’s execution of Roy Edgar Chalmers, the last of the three men who killed John’s wife in a botched robbery. Once Chalmers is dead, John Lazarus will be done with his old life at last.

But tomorrow the murders will start: strange, violent crimes whose only connection is the pair of voices exhorting the perpetrators to kill. As an occasional police consultant, John Lazarus will increasingly suspect that something abnormal is at the heart of these killings. And when Roy Edgar Chalmers, not nearly so dead as he should be, approaches him for help, John Lazarus will realize that maybe his old life isn’t quite done with him….
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Ninui » Sun May 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Finished reading "Firebrand" the 6th installment in The Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. I think she's got #7 out but in hard cover. Will wait til she's got it out in mass market
paper. She also has a novella out with one of her secondary characters as the lead. Will have to go look that one up.
.... :D
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:51 pm

"The Dream Gatherer" Kristen Britain. A compilation of short stories and a novella with characters from the Green Rider series. Published for the series' 20th anniversary. Not as good as hoped to be but will finish the short book just the same.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:38 pm

Reading Sworn Brother, second book in author Tim Severin’s Viking saga
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Otaku-sempai » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:54 pm

This just arrived in the mail the other day:

Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Melwa » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Finished reading Return of the Thief, the final installment of the Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner. I had the audiobook from the library first, so today I get to go look at the book and find out how to spell all the new names.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Currently reading Battle Ground by Jim Butcher.

Harry has faced terrible odds before. He has a long history of fighting enemies above his weight class. The Red Court of vampires. The fallen angels of the Order of the Blackened Denarius. The Outsiders.

But this time it’s different. A being more powerful and dangerous on an order of magnitude beyond what the world has seen in a millennium is coming. And she’s bringing an army. The Last Titan has declared war on the city of Chicago, and has come to subjugate humanity, obliterating any who stand in her way.

Harry’s mission is simple but impossible: Save the city by killing a Titan. And the attempt will change Harry’s life, Chicago, and the mortal world forever.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby scirocco » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:24 am

Shirley, by Emily Bronte.

I got given a uniform set of the Bronte sisters' novels as a prize at school (nearly half a century ago, yikes!). And the other day it occurred to me that I'd never read them (apart from Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, of course).

So here I am. It's all a bit over-obsessive Victorian gentlewoman stuff, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.
scirocco
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to The Books (Other Authors)