Scifi and Fantasy books getting the "Hobbit treatment"

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Scifi and Fantasy books getting the "Hobbit treatment&q

Postby BlackCompanyGuy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Hey guys,

With the Game of Thrones being a smash at HBO and a new Hobbit movie in the works, the time is ripe for some great scifi and fantasy books to enter the world of television and movies as well. What do you guys think? What books do you want to see become movies in the near future?

For my part, I want to see Glen Cook's "The Black Company," Lian Hearn's "Tales of the Otori," Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars," Greg Bear's "Blood Music," and Trudi Canavan's "Magician's Guild." I love them all so much! Oh yeah, and of course a Halo movie, as long as it's good. Big if, I know.
BlackCompanyGuy
Petitioner to the Council

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Oh, I would definitely LOOOOVE to see C.J. Cherryh's "Foreigner" series made into a bunch of movies, oh yes precious.

Trouble is, I doubt anyone would do the books justice.

Although, that's not unusual for really epic stories, now is it? ;)

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Frelga » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:17 pm

Tea, nadi?

Well, they tried with the Percy Jackson books, but that was a massive fail.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:59 am

Frelga wrote:Tea, nadi?

LOLOL! You have no idea how many times that ran through my head every time I made my evening pot of tea . . . and has begun to do so again lately since I just finished "Betrayer".

I read on the Shejidan site that the next book title has been announced. "Intruder" is scheduled for a March 2012 release, which is really not that far away in the grand scale of things. ;)

. . . goes off to see if there's a Cherryh thread in here . . .

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Gungnir » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:01 am

I'd love to see someting by David Gemmell on screen, as long as it was done well...
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby celebalqua » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Ring world and Ring World engineers (Larry Niven) then ten years later they could do Protector.
Stephen Donaldson's "real story" series would be confronting if they did it well
:)
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gungnir » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:14 am

I have to agree with the excellent Ringworld and Protector is one of my favourite books ever but I hated the "Real Story" books - I only managed to make it through 2 or 3 of them.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:24 am

I have always thought the "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" series by Tad Williams would make a terrific TV series. But it would need to be done either by HBO or the BBC.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby ngaur » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:06 pm

A tv series base on the old Lone Wolf game books might be fun if it's well made and uses the illustrations from Gary Chalk and Brian Williams as a visual template.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby BlackCompanyGuy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Lots of great sounding books here! I'm getting a list going of everything I need to read. I'm sure it'll last me years! And I agree with you SilverScribe, it's hard to do a truly epic book justice. Come on everybody who hasn't posted, this is a huge forum! What else do you guys love to read? I'm unwilling to believe that the majority of the people here read Lord of the Rings and said, "You know what? I'm good on fantasy stories, I don't need any more."
BlackCompanyGuy

Postby Frelga » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Well, Pratchett of course. But he is getting tv treatment, with mixed results. I'm watching Going Postal and it's quite good. But still.

Hobbs? Not sure.

Zelazny, Chronicles of Amber?

None of these are "like Tolkien" thank goodness.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Calma » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Though it's been awhile since I read them, I love The Black Company books.
I don't know if there's enough tv time for the series to be made into an HBO program.
There are quite a few books in that series.

Very gritty reading, too.
Image My Very First LOL

Funny Animal Month in the TVM!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

Let's hope for a better result next year

SOUNDERS!!!

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby BlackCompanyGuy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:10 pm

@Calma, yeah, I always had this mental image of Croaker walking through the snowy city of Roses, tracking down the rebel leader Raker. I almost feel like that image alone is enough to sell this series as a movie for me.

@Frelga, people seem to like that Farseer Trilogy though. I'm definately goign to look at it when I get some money. Most books with assassin in the title get a looking at, lol.
BlackCompanyGuy

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Another of Tad Williams' series might the be the "Otherworld" series. Though the special effects would be a definite challenge, not to mention the sheer scope and size of the four books.

I loved Glen Cook's "The Black Company" books, and actually modelled the speech patterns of one of my RP characters after the fat guy . . . I can't remember if that was Croaker or not.

I'll have to give that series a re-read. Are there more than three books now?

SilverScribe

Postby Calma » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:27 pm

SilverScribe wrote:I'll have to give that series a re-read. Are there more than three books now?

Yeah. I think it's up to either six or nine now.
Don't have them near by so I can't go count.
Image My Very First LOL

Funny Animal Month in the TVM!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

Let's hope for a better result next year

SOUNDERS!!!

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby portia » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:54 pm

The Chronicles of Amber would be good, and there are plenty of good parts for good actors, but the stories are very complex. Simplifying them might destroy the project.

(Broken record time) I think Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" would make a good movie. The plot has twists, but not so many they they could not be portrayed in a movie. The unorthodox marriages would probably get it an "R" rating, but they are thought provoking and current. The political machinations would hold an audience's interest. And the anarchic attitude of the main characters, and the nature of the Moon's "government" might attract those with Tea Party sentiments.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby BlackCompanyGuy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:38 pm

@Portia, I've heard other people talking about the Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Heinlein is a great author, I should check it out.

@Silverscribe, I think you're thinking of Gen Cook's other series, the Dread Empire. But yes, the Black Company has about ten books out now I think. And he's currently planning on writing two more, but in a different time frame with different characters. I'd love anything Black Company. A graphic novel would be cool, imagine seeing the Ten Who Were Taken coming to life!
BlackCompanyGuy

Postby Dave_LF » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Cornwell's Saxon Tales, except he'd have to finish them first. Although the first one could probably more or less stand alone.
Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.
Dave_LF
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:54 pm

BlackCompanyGuy wrote:@Silverscribe, I think you're thinking of Gen Cook's other series, the Dread Empire. But yes, the Black Company has about ten books out now I think.

Aha!! You're right! I'm now at home and able to check my bookshelves and it is indeed The Dread Empire I was thinking of and Saltimbanco was the fat rogue. ;)

I loved that trilogy, so I'll definitely be looking for The Black Company books as well. Thanks for the great tip!

portia, I agree about the Amber books, they'd be gorgeous on film IF the script writers were able to do them justice.

I also think McCaffrey's Pern world would be stunning on the big screen. Hugely expensive to make though, and some doofus would undoubtably insist on shooting it in that awful 3D format . . . :P

SilverScribe

Postby celebalqua » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 am

SilverScribe wrote:
I also think McCaffrey's Pern world would be stunning on the big screen. Hugely expensive to make though, and some doofus would undoubtably insist on shooting it in that awful 3D format . . . :P

I was thinking the same, but the Pern books are so involved and jump around so much that I couldn't see a tv series being able to do it justice and a movie just couldn't cut it

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby BlackCompanyGuy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Well Pern has a pretty rich world. Maybe the best idea would be a new story that nobody could nit-pick at like they would if it were a book?

@Silverscribe No problem! I don't remember that series very well, but the way he talks is just unforgettable, lol! I think that if you liked the Dread Empire, you'll also really enjoy the Black Company. Glen Cook's writing style isn't for everyone (as can be seen from the few bad reviews he gets), but those who enjoy it just LOVE his writing. He also has this stand alone book called the Swordbearer I think, which is really fun! It's just about some boy who finds a magical sword that turns him into an instant badass. Nothing deep, but just pure fun.

On a different note, I recently discovered that the Stargate Atlantis movie was canceled, and I couldn't help but be sad. And it's a small jump from a book getting the movie/tv treatment to.... tv getting a movie/tv treatment! Apart from that Stargate movie, how awesome would it be to see Firefly or Dollhouse return? I'd say another Battlestar Galactica movie, but I honestly don't think the movies ever did the show justice. Maybe it's better to leave that one...
BlackCompanyGuy

Postby Frelga » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Mmm Firefly. :) Come play with us in Talk, we have threads full of Firefly fans. :)

And yes, absolutely, Hobbs writes well. I just could not bring myself to care about the main character. I'm picky that way. But movie/TV treatment could have dealt with that.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:47 pm

BlackCompanyGuy wrote:I think that if you liked the Dread Empire, you'll also really enjoy the Black Company. Glen Cook's writing style isn't for everyone (as can be seen from the few bad reviews he gets), but those who enjoy it just LOVE his writing.

I guess we'll see how I like his writing in this series . . . I picked up two Omnibus versions yesterday which contain the first six books of The Black Company stories.

I'll let ya know. ;)

As for Firefly, we've had this discussion in many places yes indeed. While some feel that the Serenity movie made it impossible to resurrect the series, I personally feel that if Josh was as smart as he seems, he'd pick up the series oh, say 10 years after the end of the Serenity movie. He could start with the core cast again, all looking older . . . maybe they all meet in some out of the way bar on U-Day, LOLOL. Then he would have at least 5 to 8 episodes of guaranteed interest, dealing with what each of the crew members did in the intervening years and then a strong finish to the series with the reason they're all in that particular bar on that particular day and then just hare off from there. If anyone could pull this off, Whedon could. ;)

SilverScribe

Postby Gungnir » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:31 pm

I have been a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars books since the age of 7, nearly 40 years ago. I far prefer them to his more famous creation, Tarzan of the Apes.

So, a hundred years after the publication of the first book, A Princess of Mars, I am glad to see that Disney Pixar are not only making a live-action adaptation but are giving it the 'Hobbit Treatment', as can be seen from this interview with the director, Andrew Stanton
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:28 pm

COOOOL. The guy that did Wall-E . . . which (aside from the people) had the most brilliant animation evah. :)

I devoured Burroughs' Mars books as a very young person and still have some of the old paperbacks around. I really and truly hope this adaptation comes off but I have to sincerely hope and wish that it won't look like Beowulf. Gak. Awful stuff that was.

I guess time will tell. Thanks for the heads up, Gungnir. :)

SilverScribe

Postby Gungnir » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:04 pm

SilverScribe wrote:COOOOL. The guy that did Wall-E . . . which (aside from the people) had the most brilliant animation evah. :)

I devoured Burroughs' Mars books as a very young person and still have some of the old paperbacks around. I really and truly hope this adaptation comes off but I have to sincerely hope and wish that it won't look like Beowulf. Gak. Awful stuff that was.

If anything , it won't be like Beowulf - it's going to be live action :D

And I still have all my paperbacks frm when I was 7.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:51 am

BlackCompanyGuy wrote:I'm unwilling to believe that the majority of the people here read Lord of the Rings and said, "You know what? I'm good on fantasy stories, I don't need any more."

I would be one of those, actually. 8)

Nothing else can ever compare with LotR, so I've never got big-time into the fantasy genre.

Although I did really enjoy Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Trilogy . Verrrry over the top :lol: but well done, nonetheless. :) It's a bit like LotR with sex and Celtic goddesses. :P

One of the reasons why I love LotR is because it feels like imagined history. I'd rather read historical fiction than high fantasy.

One day I might give George RR Martin a go though. :)

Also on my reading list is Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy, which looks fabulous. She blends history with myth and that's right up my street.

I would also highly recommend Kevin Crossley-Holland's Arthurian-themed novels. He writes like an angel. :heart:
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:42 am

Diamond of Long Cleeve wrote:Also on my reading list is Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy, which looks fabulous. She blends history with myth and that's right up my street.

I've read this series and it was well worth the time. It actually read very much like history and IMHO, is almost more believable than what is currently accepted as the "Arthurian" accounts.

SilverScribe

Postby merlyn » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:47 pm

SilverScribe wrote:I've read this series and it was well worth the time. It actually read very much like history and IMHO, is almost more believable than what is currently accepted as the "Arthurian" accounts.

Count me as another person who enjoyed Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy. (In particular, she provided what I thought was the most convincing rationalization of the Sword in the Stone in modern Arthurian fiction - actually, close to the only convincing rationalization.)
merlyn
Shield Bearer

Postby Gungnir » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:40 am

SilverScribe wrote:COOOOL. The guy that did Wall-E . . . which (aside from the people) had the most brilliant animation evah. :)

FYI The trailer for this is released on the apple trailers site at 18:00 BST - 10:00 PT.
Gungnir
Mariner

Next

Return to The Books (Other Authors)