The Hunger Games

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Re: The Hunger Games

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:27 am

Movie. I need copies of the books, too. I read rwhen's copies. :D

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby rwhen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:25 am

Iris, this summer as I am doing the garage sale thing, I will look for the books for you!! Promise.

:D

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:23 am

:hug:

I'm looking too. If I find them, I'll let you know. :D

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby rwhen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:53 am

email me your address AGAIN please.

jaycee_davis AT msn DOT com

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 am

Done.

I so rarely buy books new anymore. I did buy a Jeff Shaara book recently, but that was because he was there to sign it. There's maybe 3 authors I regularly buy new anymore.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Melwa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:17 pm

I pretty much only buy new books when I have gift money. :whistle:
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby Gohan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:02 pm

The book was better than the movie
but this series is different than LOTR

LOTR the books and films were both great :o
Gohan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Melwa » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:12 pm

I just found The Hunger Games (book) at a different library booksale - five dollars! Image Well, the price tag said 4, but I think I handed her a five and she didn't check the tag. Oh, well. Five is still a good buy, even if it is expensive by garage sale standards.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:05 pm

So, I've read the three books, after having seen the three films.

I think I preferred the films to the books. I'm not sure. I liked the books, but I felt that they lacked depth. I think it was the first person, present tense that let it down for me. I felt like the books could have delved a bit deeper into the emotion of the people. The fact that Katniss is quite frankly a bit of an idiot when it comes to how other people feel means that we don't get to know, either. I think that a usual, third person narration would have helped with that. (And it is that that makes me prefer the films, I think.) The subject was good, but it didn't get me upset or thinking about it that much. Again, I think it's the fact that it's from Katniss' point of view all the time. I felt like more could have been written about it. Perhaps it is because it's a YA book that the subjects aren't explored deeply.

Gale was meant to be very handsome - it's mentioned more than once in the books. Since I read the books after having seen the films, I don't really have the same issue with regards how you all who read the books first imagined the characters. I feel that Gale was under-represented in the books, and Peeta didn't come across really well for me, either in the books or the films. His strength doesn't shine through, for me, he's a bit wimpy for some of it. Naive, occasionally. The "romance" between Katniss and Gale and Katniss and Peeta just wasn't there for me in the books at all. I could believe that Gale and Peeta had feelings, but Katniss? No. And the ending was pretty dissatisfying, too. Again, that's partly to do with the first person POV.

I feel like there could have been so much more to these books. Don't get me wrong, I raced through reading them - they were a pageturner. And I welled up at the same bit you, did, Rose (the bit with Buttercup).

I think my favourite characters were Finnick and Haymitch.

I haven't read 1984 yet (it's on my list!) or Ender's Game - but I think I may prefer them in terms of a dystopian story.
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Previous

Return to The Books (Other Authors)