The Hunger Games

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby Niphredil33 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:22 am

GoodSam wrote:I was surprised to see someone else found it as angering as I did. I threw the book down and yelled at it a couple of times. I hate stories where decent people get manipulated into doing terrible things.

Yes, it's the kind of thing Tolkien knew full well could happen, but chose not to dwell on. And very much a Voldermort technique, as well.

Am now about a third of the way through book three.

I remain almost floored at how uncommonly like Frodo Peeta is. I think a lot of my favourite stories have someone who inspires me to be better than I am, who I'd aspire to be like but fear I could not measure up to. I think Peeta is what redeems the series for me. And what Peeta inspires Katniss to be.
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby GoodSam » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:19 pm

I saw the movie on Friday. I have to say they did an excellent job of staying true to the text. I guess that will happen when the author herself is one of the executive producers. I do have to say, though, that they really toned down the blood and gore from the book. I am almost certain this is because it was children being killed. Still, it is the frank descriptions of the blood and infections that makes the book such an outrage for the reader. I'm pretty certain that outrage is what the author intended. It makes the situation more terrible and the book more effective. I wonder why they can show all kinds of gore in those asinine Final Destination movies where teenagers suffer all kinds of gory deaths but they can't do the same thing in a movie where it would be incredibly powerful and effective.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby Niphredil33 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:24 pm

The Hunger Games film is PG-13; the gore etc would have been toned down accordingly.
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby GoodSam » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:45 am

All of the LOTR movies were PG-13, and orcs' heads were chopped off with fountains of blood spurting from the stump. Just sayin'.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby Niphredil33 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:26 am

True. They weren't showing children being murdered, though. And I don't think the spurting blood was bright red. It may seem a small detail, but I think it was deliberate.

Not that there wasn't blood and gore, I agree (Mount Doom, for instance).

I'll be able to give a more informed opinion once I've seen the film.

50 pages of the final book to go!
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby GoodSam » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Niph,

I think the fact that it was children and youth who were involved is the primary reason they backed off on the blood and gore, especially in light of school shootings and such.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby Eilowny » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:57 pm

(noob...but I love Hunger Games, so this is my two cents)

Quite honestly, I have difficulty understanding why the child killings disturb everyone. On a basic level it makes sense, but many of the guys we send into war aren't much older. The whole premise is much more disturbing to me than the children killing each other.
Eilowny
Petitioner to the Council

Postby celebalqua » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:21 am

I think Eilowny has made a fair point and in particular a young person's point.

When i read these books with my daughters aged 12 and 13, they were no where near as disturbed about the fact children were being killed as i was. For the kids the fact the victims were children made them feel that these stories were for them but allowed them to be taken serious in a serious story line. But for myself, I found the games being about children particularly frighting and plausible.

They are a great contribution to adolescent literature.
Goodsam i too felt the threads of Enders game in these, they also were similar to another set of apocalyptic books for adolescents: When the war began.

Cel

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby rwhen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 am

Niph, did you finish book 3 yet? Impressions of the series?

Hello and welcome to TORC Eilowny. When I read the books it wasn't so much the "killing of kids" but the whole ball of wax, WHY it was children killing each other and the lottery if you will.

I think the discussion here was about the "movie" and why the violence wasn't showed on the screen as it was written in the book. And I agree that the "makers" were trying to be a bit sensitive to the viewing audience by toning that part down.

Hope to see you post more.

Celebalqua, how did your 12 and 13 year olds like or not the books?

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Niphredil33 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:30 am

Can someone tell me how I blank out text to avoid spoilers? I thought the white font would do it, but the background is grey. I overtyped the word white with grey, but the text was still visible, so I've edited it instead.

Rwhen, yes, I finished Book 3 about a week ago, and I saw the film last Friday.

I think the trilogy holds up well, and retains its page-turning quality, although the twists don't shock/impress as uniformly well as in the first book, (with the exception of one at the end, which I won't mention for spoiler reasons). There are elements of Book 3 that remind me of the ending of LOTR, too (I won't say what until I work out how to blank out spoiler text).

I thought the film was EXCELLENT. It did move quite slowly to begin with, and I was surprised how much time passed before the Games actually started, but it didn't bother me, because they were extremely faithful to the text. Excellently realised with excellent attention to detail; I felt it evoked the world of the books stunningly well. Caesar Flickerman was BRILLIANT, and so was Katniss. Loved Ciinna, too. Gale and Peeta weren't as I imagined them, and I was a bit underwehelmed by the latter in particular (perhaps he is the kind of character it is difficult to get right on screen - or at any rate, it rarely seems to happen, whether it's difficult or not). ;) Overall, though, a stunning AND faithful adaptation, with beautiful sets.
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby GoodSam » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:02 pm

Speaking of similar stories, has anyone here read the short stories Stephen King wrote under the pseudonym, Richard Bachman? There were a couple of stories in there that The Hunger Games reminded me of. There was a particularly disturbing story called "The Long Walk" that I could swear Suzanne Collins was thinking about when she wrote "The Hunger Games".
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 pm

I just finished reading the 3rd book, Mockingjay. I cannot believe how captivated I was by these books, given how violent they are... but I couldn't put them down.

I don't know if there is anyway to block the text for spoilers.. I wanted to post something here, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and I didn't want to spoil it for those who have not read all 3 books.

GoodSam, have you read 'The Long Walk'? Would you recommend it?
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:49 am

Rose, many people use the "white" color and "smallest" font to add spoilers. Sometimes one can read them anyway, but if someone really doesn't want to read spoilers, they can skip your post.

I usually just write:

SPOILERS ALERT

white/small post

END SPOILER ALERT

Then again the movie is out now for quite a while and this thread has been up for months. I remember on HP that after the movie had been out about a month we started discussing it on thread.

GoodSam, sorry I haven't read those short stories by Stephen King. But if I run across them, I will check them out.

I am re-reading The Hunger Games at the moment.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Jaeniver » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:55 am

Glad to find this thread. I read the first and second book a while back and was totally shocked but thrilled by the simplicity yet detail of the story. When I heard to movie was coming out I was reallu curious what they made of it and I was dissapointed. Even my significant other who never seads was very impressed and even vowed to read the second book just to know what would happen next. :D
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

Postby Niphredil33 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi Jaeniver! Sorry you were disappointed with the film. I was disappointed with the portrayal of Peeta, and I thought Gale was too obviously attractive (never read him as that - did I miss something?) Also he looked too old, (Gale can't be over 18 if he puts his name in the tesserae to buy bread for his family and could have been a contender for the Games). But I was very impressed with everything else.

Regarding spoilers, my main fear is spoiling the last book for someone who might unwittingly glance at my comments. Thanks for the advice though, everyone.
Last edited by Niphredil33 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby GoodSam » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Rose,

The Long Walk is a short story in a collection called, The Bachman Books. I highly recommend it! There are some iconic stories in that book including The Running Man. All of them are thought-provoking and very disturbing. Somehow, I think my worst nightmares would be sheer comedy to Stephen King.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:35 pm

rwhen, thanks for the tip. :) The question I wanted to discuss refers to the 3rd book, 'Mockingjay' so.. I didn't want to spoil that for anyone... unless this thread is for the first book only and not the series?

Nipredil.. in the books Gale is said to be very handsome and 2 years older than Katniss. They mentioned that Gale would not have to enter the next year and would be working in the mines, so perhaps he was 18 nearly 19 at the time of the reaping? He is 19 in 'Catching Fire' and 'Mockingjay'. In 'real life' the actor is 22 I believe, which I would think would make him look old (especially) for the sequels IMO.

I think they did an awesome job casting Haymitch.. and little Rue.. I loved Lenny Kravitz as Cinna.

I dunno.. maybe it's just me because I've read several comments in which people were disappointed in Peeta, but I really took a liking to him.. and I don't often get 'into' characters or actors/actresses. Perhaps with his quiet but determined kind way he reminds me of my hubby. I think the character is a sweetheart.. both in the book and on the screen. The actor Josh Hutcherson is rather short (I didn't notice it in the movie)

GoodSam, maybe when I think I can handle a few nightmares I'll pick up that short story collection!! Stephen King can be intense!

*****SPOILER ALERT***** read only if you have finished all 3 books****
I have been wondering... at the end of Mockingjay.. when the victors are in a room with President Coin & she asks if there should be more one 'Hunger Games' using children from the capitol.. Peeta says 'no' (no surprise), Annie and Beetee vote 'no', Enobaria and Johanna say 'yes'.. but I was surprised Katniss also said 'yes.' Do you think Katniss had an idea what she might do (GREAT TWIST!) and she thought Haymich understood what she was going to do when she says, 'I vote yes... for Prim'.. and so Haymitch doesn't answer 'yes' or 'no'.. he just says, "I'm with the Mockingjay".

I think I just answered my own question while typing this up.. but what say you?
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Niphredil33 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:09 am

Chose a white font but my post is one of the darker grey background ones! (They alternate).

Overtyped white with grey in the code box and that was more visible than the white.

Then overtyped that with "lightgrey" and got the best result.

REPLYING TO ROSEMORNINSTAR'S SPOILER:

+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+

I agree with the answer you gave to your own question. ;)

Something I found odd at the end of Mockingjay was how the war seemed to end so suddenly - just like that - when we had only really had hints of how it was going.

The other thing that bothered me was the impossibility of storming into where Snow was hiding to kill him, without a proper plan and with no hope of getting in there. But they tried to do it anyway, and lost people (including Finnick, who had become one of my favourite characters) along the way.
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:29 pm

I tried using light grey on the lighter background but it showed up more than the white.

Niphredil, I agree with you. On all counts. ;)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby celebalqua » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:33 pm

rwhen wrote:Celebalqua, how did your 12 and 13 year olds like or not the books?

They both enjoyed them, the 13 yr old much more than the 12, but that is more an indicator of their likes

Cel

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby rwhen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:46 am

Celebalqua!! :thumbsup: :D

Rose and Niphredil, I can barely see either of your posts and no one would take the effort to read them propely unless they didn't care (already saw movie/books or both). So well done.

I have a few more days until the 2nd book comes back to my Nook, I will re-read it then.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Niphredil33 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm

What's a Nook? Sorry to be off-topic, but I'm curious!
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby Eriathwen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Just came home from the movie. Wow, that was something. Very powerful; I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I haven't read the books, and was a bit reserved at first (I always am about cult things, and this was getting too popular for my taste). But now I absolutely have to read them.

By the way, for those who mention how terrible and maddening the books were, has any of you by any chance read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"? Well THAT was a terrible book. I doubt anything can surpass it. But at the same time it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever read.
Eriathwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rwhen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Niphredil33 wrote:What's a Nook? Sorry to be off-topic, but I'm curious!

It is like a Kindle. An e-reader. I won't ever give up my hard copies, but I find that the Nook is easy to use when I am not at home or traveling, takes up little space and holds thousands of books.

Welcome to the thread Eriathwen, you are going to enjoy the books I think. They are like the movie, very compelling and keeps you reading even with the difficult subject matter. *nods*

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Lily Rose » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:32 am

I finished reading the series about 6 months ago, but have not seen the movie. If you take any time to think about it, the whole concept of the story is horrifying...but plausible. I think that is what makes it so scary.
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Postby Niphredil33 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Lily Rose, I wonder if you might enjoy Kazuo Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go," a wonderful and extremely poignant novel I have just finished (and which came out on film a couple of years ago). It has horrors, as The Hunger Games has, but is a much quieter book, and the horrors are more hidden and more subtly revealed.

(I greatly admire both books and authors, by the way).

Edit: You joined today! Welcome to the forum. Hope you have lots of fun here. :)
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby Lily Rose » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Thank you, I am actually an oldbie that lost my log in info and has been too lazy to email the mods to retrieve it.

That sounds interesting, hopefully it is available for Kindle.
Lily Rose
Shield Bearer

Postby Eriathwen » Sun May 06, 2012 12:05 pm

I've just finished "Mockingjay" and I'm feeling completely drained now. I rarely cry while reading, but at the end of it I broke down sobbing along with Katniss and couldn't stop for about 10 minutes. I hate this book.

I really don't know which of the 3 was the best. I thought I liked "Catching Fire" more than "Hunger Games", but that might be because I saw the movie first and already knew what was going to happen in the first book, while everything in the second was new for me. The last book was the hardest one to read. The first two were addictive, I finished them in a couple of days, but "Mockingjay" took almost a week. I couldn't read more than a few chapters a day, it was too exhausting. And at some points I seriously didn't want to continue. I hate this book. I don't want to read it ever again. But I know I will, along with the whole series.

Probably will come back later to add something, because I'm left with a lot of things to think about.
Eriathwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rwhen » Mon May 07, 2012 7:55 am

Eriathwen, that seems to be a theme of the books. They make you so mad that you want to toss your Nook, Kindle or book out the window, but somehow you can't stop reading them. They are just too compelling not to continue.

Also, I think that it is a case of - you figure what the hell else could happen and then something else worse than before happens. Repeat!

I am re-reading them at the moment, into the second book now. I read them too fast the first time around. Now I am taking my time.

A thought, in book one, I was just peeoh'd at the whole idea, the thought of it. In book two, it got personal!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Niphredil33 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 am

I think I read Mockingjay more slowly than the first too as well. I thought at the time it was because I was busy, but maybe it does naturally read more slowly than the other two.
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)