The Hunger Games

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks to rwhen, I read all the books in fairly quick succession and loved them. :)

The movie was okay but I think I missed a lot because the projector kept breaking. :roll: I think a lot of the background information I thought was crucial was missing...the fact that Katniss was 12 when her father died, and the book made it seem like it was only a year or so ago...that actually made no sense at all. I mean, she didn't learn to hunt well overnight folks, so having her nearly starving just a short time before is sort of silly. I also thought there should have been more about her father teaching her when she was younger.

The point where I cried... SPOILER ALERT!!!!

was where Katniss and Buttercup made up. I figured something like that would happen...I was going to be really, really mad if he died! But I thought he'd stay with their mother. But when he came looking for Prim at district 12, and found Katniss, and she tried to chase him away at first, and then instead tried to help/heal him, I cried.

Overall, I thought the books were amazing. I'd have liked to learned more about what happened to Gale, though, and more about other things as well, but I guess we can't have everything. :) I'm going to have to get my own copies now.
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby FrodoTook » Tue May 08, 2012 12:30 pm

I am glad I found this thread. I have seen some TV ads promoting The Hunger Games and thought the movie previews looked cool.

After reading your thoughts of the books in this thread...3 books so far..right?...I am moved to read the books before seeing any of the movies.

Thank you all for sharing.

I stopped reading this thread when spoilers first got started mentioned. I thank all of you for the heads up.

Very cool of all of you.

I have been wanting to read something new. :)
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Niphredil33 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:33 am

Hi FrodoTook! Re. your saying "Three books so far," I'm pretty sure the three books are it and there won't be any more, because the story is complete and the loose ends tied up by the end of the 3rd book.

I hope you enjoy them. They really are page-turners in a sense I haven't really experienced since finishing the Potter books - and I'd say their style and fluency are far superior to Rowling's.

(A daft comparison to make, but still ;)).
Last edited by Niphredil33 on Thu May 10, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Thu May 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Hey Niphy

Thanks for the info. That so many of you said the series was a real "page turner" and got some of you very emotional really caught my eye and prompted me to read on in this thread. But I stopped reading when spoilers were first mentioned. I do love surprises. :thumbsup: and thank all of you for being respectful of those who don't like spoilers. Very cool of you. 8)

I look forward to reading The Hunger Games and then seeing the movie. By the way, does the first movie take in all 3 books or just the first one?

This really is all new to me. :)

Thanks again to all of you for sharing.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Niphredil33 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:11 pm

The first movie covers the first book only, so I'd say you're safe to watch it once you've read the first book, and you have plenty of time to read the other two (should you so choose) before the second film is due.

The name FrodoTook sounds vaguely familiar from the past - did you ever post on the Ringbearer board, back in the lead-up-to-the-films days?
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Thu May 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Hey Niphy. I, and quite a few other TORCers, did post on RB for a bit while TORC was so very glitchy back in late 2001. We might well have crossed paths on RB. I met many cool people while at RB and was so glad most welcomed us there.

One RBer, in particular, who I remember very fondly, remains HashBerry. She and most RBers welcomed us very warmly..when we most needed to carry on our love of Tolkien. At least that is the name I remember her by when she later visited TORC. I remain so very glad to have shared thoughts with her again. I enjoyed our friendship very much and the malt beverage she shared.

Thanks for asking. :)

I remember RB being considered "fluffy" at the time, which I found interesting. I also found my time at RB very comfortable.

Thanks again for info on The Hunger Games. :)
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby rwhen » Tue May 15, 2012 9:04 am

Efff Tee!!

I hope that you do pick up the books. I agree that three is going to be it. Also book one for me was the most dramatic, but worth getting and reading all three books.

On RB. I think we all crashed there when TORC was down for the month of December 2001, right after the movie came out. I remember them being very kind and we were sort of a stampede of buffalo coming through. :D

Let us know when you get started!! :D I am just about done reading the series for the second time now.

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Amrunelen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:46 pm

I loveeeed these books. :D Just needed to mention that. Will have to read through the whole thread some time when it's not nearly 2AM and leave some of my own thoughts.

Quick book to movie thoughts, I liked the movie but a lot of chemistry and character development/character relationship development was missing. That's my biggest gripe. Also, the soundtrack is quite fantastic in my opinion.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby Niphredil33 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:59 am

Glad you liked the books and movie, Amrunelen, and look forward to reading your thoughts on them. :)
Niphredil33
Shield Bearer

Postby Amrunelen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Okay. General overall thoughts, I loved the series. I didn't hate them to any iota. I hated characters one was supposed to hate, of course. I read all three books in quick succession just before seeing the first movie (I'm so glad it went over well so they'll make the rest! Wasn't a guarantee initially.) One of my friends got them for Christmas last year and raved about them...so I had to get them in before my mind and memory were tainted by movie.

Spoilery things below.........warning, it's going to be a long post. My love for this story compels me to talk lots. :P
I found the mostly first person point of view interesting...I haven't read too many books in that style. A Phillipa Gregory for one I can think of. I still felt like there were definitely points where we knew more than Katniss, though. Or at least realized more. She was possibly the most frustrating character of all for me. She was so lacking in trust, so convinced all of the world was hellbent on survival like she was and just as equally ready to destroy her in the name of self preservation as she was it.

And then she meets lovely Peeta. Peeta is by far one of my favorite characters. He's like the Faramir. Wholehearted goodness (except for where PJ mucked with Faramir). I believe those kinds of people can exist. I don't think it's unfathomable. I appreciate characters such as his. Selfless, caring, yet not wimpy. Still strong and a force to be reckoned with in their own way. Josh Hutcherson was a bit less handsome than the quiet, blonde, handsome soul with farm boy-ish charm I had in my head. Hutcherson grew on me, though. All in all I like his Peeta. All of the actors were a bit too old for me, but I can forgive that. Most of all I wish they had chosen younger actors to portray the flashback where Katniss was younger and starving out back behind the bakery....at least to give a better idea of time and how long they've sort of known each other.

Haymitch wasn't the Haymitch in my head, but then I didn't have an exceptionally clear vision of him anyway. His personality stood out more than anything else. I think I saw him as older. Prim was pretty spot on. I loved Cinna...Lenny fit well in my mind, but that may be because I knew he was playing Cinna before i read the books since my friend was talking about him and how she couldn't imagine him as Cinna. Not American Woman Lenny, anyway. Snow was too old. Love Donald Sutherland, but I saw snow more as Chancellor Sutler in V for Vendetta. He would've been about the perfect Snow in my mind.

Movie things I liked: The District 12 setting was pretty great...I myself have grown up in near the heart of District 12 in central PA, thought post-apocalyptic Appalachian coal town was portrayed well. I loved the music. Usually composers tend to capture aspects of a story perfectly in music that directors will never be able to do visually. The pace of the movie was pretty decent. I could've sat for a while longer if it meant I could have some of the scenes and lines I really wanted. Rue was lovely and tragic. The actors were, while a bit too old for me, all pretty great across the board. I think the other players were portrayed quite well too like Foxface and Cato. The pre-game Peeta interview was great...where he reveals the person he's liked is there with him. And Caesar Flickerman was awesome.

Dislikes: The Capitol doesn't look modern enough to me. I was imagining this war ravaged world with a crazy modern capitol that was something a blend of modern day Tokyo and the Star Wars-esque cityscapes with almost alien-like inhabitants considering all of their bodily mutilations and adjustments. The cornucopia is AWFUL. It looks like something that can be bought at Ikea and that might be called the Sklormglang or something. :P I don't like that they didn't have Cinna suggesting they present themselves, Katniss and Peeta, as a unified team from the start. The cave scene that lasted for DAYS was one of the most horribly brushed over scenarios in my opinon....Katniss's scream out loud of PEETA when the announcement is made that they both can win. Movie Peeta does not appear to be on the brink of DEATH with septicemia as he should be. He needs an injection to cure blood poisoning, not a salve to help a leg wound. The one kiss equals one bowl of broth isn't followed up well by the later scenes where Katniss begins to believe she truly feels something for this boy besides the pretend game to stay alive. And finally I don't like Cato's moment of doubt when he's on the cornucopia with Katniss and Peeta at the end...when he's doubting whether he can make another kill. He never had that doubt in the book. Tributes from his districts were killing machines, no mercy...no relenting.

I think that's plenty enough for now so I'll post my thoughts on the other books later. :P

If you've never checked out the Hunger Games soundtrack...not a musical score, but called Songs From District 12 and Beyond...it's worth a listen. There are some great songs on there, my favorite perhaps being Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars. Haunting, beautiful, sad. Taylor should sing like she does in this song more often. Here's the official video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhAS_GnJIc The song and lyrics conjure the cave scene from the first book in my mind. Book version. ;)
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:57 am

Rune, I have to agree with you on how District 12 was portrayed in the movie (I don't think I'm spoiling too much!) It just looked so right...I wondered if the set designer grew up around here!

Good review. :)

But WHY is the rum always gone?

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:53 am

RUNZIES, excellent review of the book and movie. I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment too much. But I have heard much of the same that you wrote.

I have read the books now three times through and I still feel as if I could read them again. So much detail in the re-readings. ;) I doubt that I will see the movie now until it comes on my ON DEMAND, then I will catch it for sure.

:D

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Treagol » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:56 pm

I have read all three books and I really enjoyed them! The movie was a pretty decent adaptation. Not perfect, but then again none of them never are. I think with the success of the first movie it is a safe bet that we will see movie adaptations of the last two installments. It will be interesting to see how well the movies play out. I came away from the books feeling satisfied. Will I feel the same about the movies? We will see...
Treagol
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:10 am

I still haven't seen the movie, but I did read all three books again. And again I couldn't stop myself from reading them too fast!!! It is just that they are a page turner.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:10 pm

runes! I'm glad you enjoyed the books. Nice review. I'm shocked at how much I liked them, given all the violence.

The author, Suzanne Collins, is also a screenwriter and I thought character of Haymitch was perfect for Woody Harrelson, even if she hadn't envisioned him from the start. He did an amazing job. As for Peeta.. I think I've got a big movie-crush on his character. So sweet and single-hearted. As for Katniss.. it's weird (but it worked) to have such a distant and 'cool' (as in not quite cold) main character. It was odd though. Very different.

I saw this somewhere.. :lmao:
On my nerd's to-do list: At Starbucks, say my name is Primrose Everdeen. When they call it, yell "I volunteer as tribute!" then take food and leave.

I say.. better yet.. go with a friend; one gives the name of Primrose.. the other claims the food/drink. I might give this a try at Panera.. hee hee
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Amrunelen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:13 pm

lol! That is excellent. If I had a willing partner, I'd have to try that sometime. :P

I bought a copy of the first book myself and read it again....had borrowed friends before. Enjoyed profusely for about the third time (or maybe it's fourth?). :)
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:16 am

Rose: LOL! :D

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get my own copies once I have shelves...

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Re: The Hunger Games

Postby rwhen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:06 pm

I didn't realize that I hadn't posted since seeing the movie now.

Are we still worried about spoilers? Maybe...so I will go into light mode.

SPOILERS AHEAD...IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE AND YOU WANT TO KNOW NOTHING...BEYOND HERE THERE BE DRAGONS!!

I did not think the movie Katniss really caught the fullness of book Katniss. While I liked the movie very much and have seen it a few times now (I actually own the dang thing), the books are so much better. I know that similar to LotR's you can't get everything in an adaptation. Something is going to be left on the cutting room floor. But that isn't my problem with Katniss. She just doesn't fit the picture in my head at all. Too old and I know this is going to come off as really catty...but not very pretty to me. In the book it talks about how beautiful Katniss is when she cleans up, her hair is long and dark and beautiful. Two young men fall in love with her. Remember at that age, we were lucky if a guy looked our way more than once.

Peeta on the other hand, while I liked his looks better - was more fleshed out and came across as the kind, sweet, generous, willing to die for the woman/girl? he loves that he was in the book. I too loved LOVED Haymisch (sp) and the casting of Woody Harrelson. And I have to disagree with you Runzies on Donald Southerland as Snow. I am a huge fan of Southerland and I think he was great. I hope they are able to draw him better in the next movie...he IS the REAL villian after all...the others are just competing for their lives, doing what they have to do. Cinna. I loved the book Cinna and I loved the movie Cinna. I really am not looking forward to movie 2 for the reason of Cinna getting whacked. Horrid way to do it as Katniss is rising up to the cornucopia. And speaking of THAT...I totally agree with Runzies. LOL. That did not at all match what was in my head.

There also wasn't enough of the mother/daughter conflict. Maybe that will be expanded on in the future films, but we really don't get why Katniss is so cold and distant with her mother, the books make it crystal clear. And then there are two that I loved in book and movie so far. Prim and poor dear Rue. OH HEY and also the parachute gifts weren't as prominant as they were in the books. I was waiting for the prezzies to come and they didn't. Had I only seen the movie, I think it could stand on its own. But having read the books now I THINK four times :oops: there is just too much that is off. Will I never watch the movie again? Oh I think I will watch it many times again.

Enough, like Runzies...I could go on and on and on. I think The Hunger Games is the sort of book/movie that SHOULD be talked about. There are "messages" in that book/movie I do believe. Things that we can question about our own selves. How we would react under similar circumstances. *tries to zip her lip*

Effff Teee???? Did you ever pick up the books or get to view the movie?????

Any one else have thoughts after .... what has it been about a year since the movie was released??

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:44 am

Ah, now I thought Jennifer Lawrence was a good choice, and my husband is fascinated with her eyes. :)

I'd like to see it again. Only saw it the one time in the theater. Probably should put it on my Christmas wish-list...along with Brave.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:24 pm

So glad to see this discussion has taken off! I was a little worried for a bit there. ;)

I saw the movie twice in theaters and have still only read the series once. Reading through this discussion has made me want to read them again! I think I lent the first book out to someone, but I can't remember who - whoops! I did get the movie for Christmas and plan on watching it in the next couple of days. :)

FT - Have you had a chance to read the books yet? I would love to hear your thoughts! :D
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby MeadowForest » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:23 am

While I didn't find the books really amazing, they were definitely page-turners. The first two books are better than the third, where I feel the resolve is a bit rushed and a little dull, perhaps?

For the film, it was a shame they left out showing close-ups of the mutts with their eyes like the tributes - that would have been effective, I think. Haymitch was well chosen. So was Katniss, and yet her face kind of bothered me a little - it seemed like her face had been chubbed up unnaturally; yet out of the films she doesn't look like that. Getting in tune with my girlier side, Peeta could have been nicer looking :P , but then I did get used to him in the end. The film was overall pretty good.
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby genericallygypsi » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Hey all!
I know this thread is a little old, but I just had to put in my 2¢! Haha

I LOVED the books. I was introduced to them by a friend who is a history major (something I was for a time, before I switched to ASL, and then Biology and then... you get the picture), and I love the political undertones and messages. While they're published for 'young adults', I think people of just about any age can enjoy them. I haven't read them in a bit, or I'd probably have more specific things to mention. Definitely page-turners that you hate though! Haha

Rose, I love the nerd to-do list addition!

As far as movie goes, I am very open-minded when it comes to movie adaptations of books, simply because they are such drastically different mediums, and there is no way you will ever be able to get everything from the book into a film version. Even if you made a mini-series. lol
So needless to say, I loved the movie as well as the book, and I CANNOT wait for the next one. Peeta definitely had to grow on me, but once he did, I loved his sweet, unassuming character. And was super excited when I got to see Josh in person from roughly 20 ft away at the Teacher's Rock event in LA this last summer. I loved that they cast Jennifer Lawrence for Katniss, even though she was unknown to me at the time. Very human and relatable. I actually liked that she wasn't super attractive, I think it makes her someone we can really sympathize with. She's gorgeous in an attainable way. Haymitch was right on, and Caesar Flickerman was awesome too. I felt very 'meh' about the actor for Gale. I agree that I never read him as being so obviously attractive, and I guess I've never been into that type too much anyway.
Highly recommend the soundtrack as well. I am in complete agreement that one of the best tracks is The Civil Wars and Taylor Swift's Safe and Sound. I bought it for that track alone. Along with The Civil Wars CD Barton Hollow, definitely worth a listen. I just wish Taylor Swift's stuff sounded more like her songs on the soundtrack (not that I dislike her, I'm actually a fan of her new album, Red, I just prefer the melancholy, acoustic sound). :)

Okay, I'm going to stop typing, because I could go on for days!
genericallygypsi
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Melwa » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:45 pm

I am one of those people who is way more likely to read a classic than a modern book, but I needed something to read. I had done a bit of reading about The Hunger Games, actually, after having heard about it from various sources, so I did have some idea what I was getting into.

The worst part was, until I got my family to read it, I couldn't read out loud any of the jokes! It either wouldn't make any sense out of context, or would be so awful it wouldn't be funny. After I got them started, it was fun to read funny stuff out loud. I read the whole trilogy. I was a bit disappointed by the ending of Mockingjay (don't worry, I'll save spoilers for further down the post!), but then I realized the ending was the same as the other two - designed to leave you slightly puzzled and thinking hard about the world. It took me a while to notice that "mockingjay" does not equal "mockingbird."
Eriathwen wrote: The first two were addictive, I finished them in a couple of days, but "Mockingjay" took almost a week. I couldn't read more than a few chapters a day, it was too exhausting. And at some points I seriously didn't want to continue. I hate this book. I don't want to read it ever again. But I know I will, along with the whole series.

Exactly!
I agree with whoever it was who said "when you finish the first one, you can't figure out what the next two could be about, until you start them."

I think I will have to save the movie discussion for my spoiler section, but as genericallygypsi has nudged the thread, I shall take this out of ancient draft form and post it now. :D
(*thinks to self "at least Sid can't follow me here!"Image*)
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby genericallygypsi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Gah, I can't believe we have to wait till November for the next movie!!! :(
genericallygypsi
Citizen of Imladris

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:53 pm

There are a bunch of movies doing that to us. ;)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby genericallygypsi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Too true! :P
genericallygypsi
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rwhen » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 am

Oh yay, a revived thread.

Even though I have now read the series through three times, I will do it again before the next movie in November.

I think it is okay to leave any spoilers at this point. If someone posting on TORC hasn't seen the first movie or read the books, I doubt they are peeking in here.

Welcome to the discussion generically gypsi....can I just call you gypsi? Easier to get around. ;) And also to MeadowForest and Melwa (on this thread anyway).

I find the books totally compelling and they stir emotions that swing to both sides of the pendulum. Really happy and VERY dark and angry. As time has gone on, I have warmed to Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. She really cleans up well. ;)

I am in the minority that think that Donald Southerland was an excellent choice for Snow. I love him anyway and can't wait to see more in the next two movies.

More to add...will stop at this point.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:45 am

I liked him in the role, rwhen. :) I loved Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. Rob saw her picture on a magazine just before the movie came out and said, "Wow, look at her eyes!"

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Melwa » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 am

Ooh, another movie. :-) Must watch. Is that compensation for the delay of DOS?
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:34 am

Yup. ;)

This is going to be a fun year for movies, I think...several coming out I really want to see!

IrisBrandybuck

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)