The Hunger Games

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Re: The Hunger Games

Postby Melwa » Wed May 22, 2013 7:26 pm

I found a paperback copy of Mockingjay for $1!! I didn't know it was even in paperback yet. :happydance:
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Thu May 23, 2013 2:32 am

Okay. I read this thread and I have been convinced to check out the books (haven't seen the movies ;)). I downloaded the first today. :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Thu May 23, 2013 9:07 am

Muah, ha, ha! Another convert! You have to come tell us how you like them soon!
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu May 23, 2013 9:09 am

You haven't seen the movie?

You are really going to like both...books and movies!!

Let us know.

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Melwa » Thu May 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Just talked to another friend who'd loved the movie, but not read the books. She's gonna read them now. :D
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Fri May 24, 2013 2:44 am

I'm sorry but

I didn't like it at all. I am trying hard to get past the 3rd chapter. SOrry to be blunt, but I find it boring.

Boo!

Oh well, we all can have different tastes... :roll:
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Fri May 24, 2013 9:40 am

You WHAT? :club:

:P Kidding, of course. Yes, different tastes for different people. :D
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Fri May 24, 2013 10:00 am

Melwa wrote:You WHAT? :club:

:P Kidding, of course. Yes, different tastes for different people. :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, my plan was to get the reactions if I said that! I hoped to see of rwhen's as well. But oh well...

No, I was lying. I'm liking it very much! At chapter 6 or so I think. :D

(sorry for the joke! :thppt:)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 am

So I killed off this thread. :D

About to finish book 1. :roll:
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue May 28, 2013 6:09 am

If anyone comes across cheap copies of the books...I'll pay you. :D (cheep is less than $3 per book)

Saw the preview for Catching Fire the other day. Most exciting part of the movie experience Friday night. :P

*is excited*

Rob loves Jennerfer Lawrence's eyes. :rofl: Yeah, I guess they are pretty compelling.

Sid: at least try the movie.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby siddharth » Tue May 28, 2013 10:50 am

Finished off book 1. :D
And would give the review sometime. When I do find some time. :P
Overall, I can say I liked it. I think somewhere between like and love. So you get it...

Stay tuned for my review ...
8)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Tue May 28, 2013 12:43 pm

'Course you didn't kill the thread, Sid! :D I kept laughing over your jokey, actually. :evilaugh: Waiting eagerly for the review . . . I had one friend who read THG, but didn't wish to finish the series. He did want to watch the movie, however. :wink: It's kind of hard to figure out what the overall impression is at the end, I know. they're designed for an abrupt ending that leaves you pondering.

Iris, did you miss me saying a few post ago I found Mockingjay for $1? But you cannot have it - it's mine, all mine! :thppt: I've been looking at promotional posters for Catching Fire. Am I the only one who is alarmed to note that all the *ahem - no spoilers for Sid* you-know-whos are holding white roses?!? That is so scary! I'm sure they did it on purpose, and it's really suspenseful trying to figure out their reason . . .
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed May 29, 2013 8:00 am

No, I didn't miss it...I'm just hoping that if you have such incredible luck again, you'll share the wealth. ;)

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby siddharth » Wed May 29, 2013 11:14 am

Okay here it is. Spoiler alerts in white text. :D

Overall, it was a very unusual but an enjoyable experience, the reading. Addicting, definitely. Page-turner, sure.
The present tense narrative, well I have never read anything in that format! And I liked it. :D The set up and the world in which the story unfolds is brilliantly fleshed out. And the irony was lovely at some places. The whims and fashions of the Capitol people as opposed to the harsh life in the districts. The two divisions among the tributes were real too: The regulars and the careers. And the breaking points of the chapters very cleverly devised. Most of them cliff-hangers, leading to the book's fame as a page-turner.

The characters? Let me start with Katniss. Very realistically portrayed. And the author makes it very easy for the reader to 'feel' what she is feeling, think what she is thinking. Added to that, she's not portrayed as an extreme heroine. She is not the strongest of the tributes. Neither in strength nor in skill.
-------SPOILER TERRITORY-------The internal conflicts are so relatable, very realistically portrayed and cleverly written. Saying that, on the later chapters it becomes too monotonous. Her thoughts about Peeta and Gale are sometimes brought out a bit too much. And on a few occasions Katniss looks dumb. About Peeta's loyalty towards her and her doubts about them are repeated even when it's clear that Peeta is helping her. Anyway, she remains perhaps one of the best female characters I have read in a long time, second only to Hermione from HP.
Peeta. A good character. A part of him, reminded me of Sam Gamgee. :D His simplicity and honesty, that is. But the later part of the book worried me a bit. Perhaps it's only me, but he becomes too much of a baggage there. To look properly, he doesn't deserve to stand till the end. And he doesn't help Katniss in any way except for the time when he distracted Cato. As for his confession of love, I think it wasn't only for the reason of drawing sponsors. It wasn't a wholesome generous act, but partly selfish which Haymitch played along. But he is the second of the only three characters I feel are fleshed out.
Haymitch, the third one. And my fav, sweetheart. Awesome character. I know, such characters are common but he had some unique charm to him and I read his portions real fast. Well, I have no words against him. Everything's cool about him! :D

Now for the things I didn't like:

First of all, I really don't like much violence, whether in books or movies. Same case here. The violence was shocking as the book drew near the end. And equally disturbing, since these are children who are killing and not some adult mercenaries. The suspense and fights are exciting to read, really. But the "ends" are horrifying. I did get over it by the time I was going through Glimmer's death though. :D
The intended romance between Gale/Katniss/Peeta. For the reader at least, I feel there isn't much choice but to support Peeta in that. Gale just isn't fleshed out enough.
Rue's death. Okay, this is not a con. But I could foresee her death ever since she was described at the training. Similar to this, I guessed correctly a few times, what was about to come next. So a few intended surprises were not much of a surprise for me. :D

--------SPOILER TERRITORY CLOSED----------

Anyway, much rambling gone here. Overall, I think this is the best thing I have read since Harry Potter. And I give it an A.
Oh, and I have downloaded Catching FIre. :D

PS: I have seen a few posters of the movie. katniss was a good choice I think. But I don't agree with Peeta and Gale. I imagined Peeta to be less handsome, less muscular and more 'regular', if you know what I mean. ;) He actually looks like someone from a rich family! And Gale, well he looks far too old. He should be 18 or so at this time. And again, too 'cute' to be someone who spends a lot of his time in the woods and lives in d12.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby MrsDundas87 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:00 am

I love the books, read the first one in a day and have read the trilogy a few times since then. Really looking forward to seeing Catching Fire, but it's not out here til November, boo!
MrsDundas87
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rwhen » Fri May 31, 2013 8:20 am

Welcome to TORC MrsDundas87!!! I am also looking forward to Catching Fire.

Sid. Great review. I had to warm to Katniss movie character. Jennifer Lawrence at first just didn't seem to be the Katniss in my head, but now - all good. I am also a big fan of Haymitch, very well written character. Unlike many I like Peeta all the way through the three books. Feel sorry for him really, for the most part I think he deserved someone better than a fickle girl who couldn't make up her mind. Hope you read #2 soon. Just as good for a page turner.

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby MrsDundas87 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:28 am

rwhen wrote:Welcome to TORC MrsDundas87!!! I am also looking forward to Catching Fire.

Sid. Great review. I had to warm to Katniss movie character. Jennifer Lawrence at first just didn't seem to be the Katniss in my head, but now - all good. I am also a big fan of Haymitch, very well written character. Unlike many I like Peeta all the way through the three books. Feel sorry for him really, for the most part I think he deserved someone better than a fickle girl who couldn't make up her mind. Hope you read #2 soon. Just as good for a page turner.

Thanks for the welcome :) I felt a bit sorry for Peeta in the first book as he doesn't know that katniss isn't being genuine with him. It was the only time I disliked her, his feelings were pure but she was playing along to get sponsors. I changed my mind in the second book though as you can tell she genuinely cares when the quarter quell happens. It's going to be a coin toss come november whether to see catching fire or the hobbit part 2!
MrsDundas87
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:04 am

A belated welcome MrsDundas87. :D

Okay, finished Catching Fire and am 1/3rd way through Mockingjay.

And I like the later two books better than the first though. I really loved Catching Fire. Actually, I was expecting the events in CF in the first book in itself. The rebellion and all. And the fact that this times, the tributes do have emotions and feelings for each other, unlike the barbaric first games. Makes it more realistic. And I like the character of Finnick too. Peeta is an improvement. I like him better now, while Gale is still not fleshed-out much. Though I suspect he will be in Mockingjay. The only minus I can think of is Katniss' recurring thoughts about Peeta and Gale. It's far too much for my taste and I could have done without it here.
I rated Hunger Games 7/10
Catching Fire is 8.5/10

And I'm enjoying Mockingjay. :D I just hope it's based solely on the revolution and doesn't includes the Hunger games again.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:46 am

rwhen wrote: Unlike many I like Peeta all the way through the three books. Feel sorry for him really, for the most part I think he deserved someone better than a fickle girl who couldn't make up her mind.

Well, she is a teenager after all, with a lot expected of her. :)

I rather liked Peeta too. I felt bad for him because of his mother and how no one really seemed to think he was worth much except as a cake decorator...and then he surprised everyone. :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby siddharth » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:53 am

Finished Mockingjay.

*Everything you are going to read ahead, is exploding with SPOILERS.* Tresspassers shall be punished. :P

The trilogy as a whole is great. but I didn't like the latter half of Mockingjay much. When they enter Capitol. Things were too predictable. Well, yeah Prim's death was unexpected. Very much. And Katniss herself killing Coin (I was imagining some kind of showdown between Snow and Coin). But that was it. Nothing to gape at besides those.

The epilogue was really bad. At tying up characters. I imagined Haymitch to get more close to Katniss and Peeta by the end. But not much, really. Beetee? And Johanna was the worst case. It would have been wonderful to see a friendship blooming between Katniss and her. But after she left, Johanna was totally sidelined. We even don't know what happened to her after the end of revolution. Gale's said to be sent to d2. And that's all there is for him, in the end?

And, as I think all novels with rebellions as major theme should, there was no aftermath. How was the life in the districts AND capitol after the war ended? How was it different from what was before?

Good to see Katniss' kids though. ;)

On a side-note. If Chaff was Haymitch's best friend, why didn't he join the rebels, like Finnick or Johanna?
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:18 pm

There's a new trailer for Catching Fire out! http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/jennifer-lawrence-goes-war-exclusive-hunger-games-catching-205547512.html?vp=1

Spoilers in smaller font.

Why is she wearing the pin into the arena? I thought she wore that bracelet? Snow is creepy, and I like the Mockingjay dress.

Sid - no clogging threads for you! It's high time I replied on here to your SPOILERS!

I agree that the epilogue was not at all what I was hoping for. I was disappointed until I realized that it really left me at the same place as the ends of the other two - thinking hard. Hmm, well being best friends is not always based on having similar political views. For one thing, look at Haymitch's relationships with the "best friends" we see, Katniss and Peeta. Great relationship there. :roll: I totally agree that Gale looks all wrong. On the other hand, the posters show them to their fullest advantage (though possibly grimy). Games publicity, you know. Don't judge them too harshly.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:10 am

I thought she wore both? Okay, it's been a while since I read the book. :)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Melwa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Or was it Finnick with the bracelet and Katniss with the pin? Urg, if only I owned a copy . . .
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 am

Saw the Hunger Games a few days back.

Overall, I think it's a pretty neat adaptation. Lawrence's Katniss was good. Haymitch was excellent (though more friendly to Katniss than in the books). I love the look of district 12. Umm, I was not much impressed by "the girl on fire" scene, as I was in the book. Rue was well chosen, but much less screentime to create the maximum sympathy. Cinna's not at all what I expected (and it's not because he isn't a white man) but rather okay I guess. The action was cool, but it didn't catch the drama and suspense of the book that well I felt.
What I was most impressed was that they showed the "other" side of the games. How the gamemakers developed and controlled the arena. The end of Seneca Crane (who somehow seemed softer than I expected!).
Prez Snow. I've got issues with the casting. I had a picture of a younger person, with no beard (if not no facial hair at all, someone who looked like a gentleman but his 'evilness' can be seen in his expressions, behavior.
This Snow has absolutely none of these things, so I don't feel he will be a great villain even though I want to. :(

Anyway, overall it's a good film. And very faithful to the source. If I don't have the time to read the book, I'd definitely watch this. Especially for Haymitch and Katniss! :D

Melwa - I agree that being best friends doesn't mean they share same political views. But one cannot let a best-friend be a victim of a plan in which he himself involved. He has to tell him about the circumstances in the least! Or even a hint.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:18 am

Now, I'm opposite of you, Sid...I didn't really like Haymitch but I liked Snow...:)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby siddharth » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:46 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Now, I'm opposite of you, Sid...I didn't really like Haymitch but I liked Snow...:)

No prob there. Snow doesn't match my vision of him, but it does yours I guess.So that's good. :)

Are you opposite on everything I said? :P
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 pm

yup, cause today is opposite day! :P

No, just kidding there. :) Just those two things at the moment.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby siddharth » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:59 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote::) Just those two things at the moment.

:lol: So the expected to change with time! :lol:
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 am

Well, there ARE two more movies to come!

I told my husband I need a copy of Hunger Games. He said, "Don't you have a copy?" :? *sigh*

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Melwa » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:40 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Well, there ARE two more movies to come!

I told my husband I need a copy of Hunger Games. He said, "Don't you have a copy?" :? *sigh*

:lol: Movie, or book?
Melwa
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)