Who Else Reads Manga?

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Who Else Reads Manga?

Postby frodolives668 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:39 am

Okay I didn't see any other threads like this, so I'm frightfully sorry if someone's posted a topic similar to this one. it is a very obvious choice after all.

Okay, maybe this isn't the best place to put this topic, but I just thought that on the off chance there might be a few other people that enjoy it as well. If you do, please let me know.
frodolives668
Rider of the Mark

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 pm

My son likes some Manga, or did, I'm not sure if he's still into it. One of his favorites was a series called One Piece which was about pirates but that's all I can tell you about it because it got seriously weird after that. I think that series was aimed more at little kids but it seems some of it is aimed more at teens and some of it seems to have a science fiction slant. Are any of the those stories any good as science fiction?
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the drawing style but maybe I'm just not the target audience.

What do yo like about it?
GlassHouse
Mariner

Re: Who Else Reads Manga?

Postby Cyblade Silver » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:40 am

One of my favorite manga series' is Yoshiki Takaya's Bio-Booster Armor Guyver; as much for the art as for the storyline. Takaya has a real talent for landscapes, cityscapes, and mechanical drawing. The plot starts out a bit monster of the day-ish, but rather quickly deviates from that into a struggle between the world-spanning Chronos syndicate, and the main character with his small group of allies.
Cyblade Silver
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Tsalagi_Phoenix » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:29 pm

I read manga. InuYasha, Sailor Moon, CardCaptor and many others.
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Citizen of Imladris

Re:

Postby pat457 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:10 pm

frodolives668 wrote:Okay I didn't see any other threads like this, so I'm frightfully sorry if someone's posted a topic similar to this one. it is a very obvious choice after all.

Okay, maybe this isn't the best place to put this topic, but I just thought that on the off chance there might be a few other people that enjoy it as well. If you do, please let me know.

I read 'em. I also study 'em. (Taking art in college.) :lol: Some of my favorites I'd recommend:

20th Century Boys: In the 1990s, some antichrist-y cult leader is out to destroy mankind following mysteriously the exact same scenario a bunch of kids in the late 1960s imagined during an idle hour. In fact, I'd recommend anything by Naoki Urasawa like Yawara! Monster, Pluto or Billy Bat.
Death Note: A notebook which can kill anyone whose name is written on it? A young man who plans to cleanse the earth of all criminals and become the god of a new world using the notebook? Epic.
Bakuman (same artist as Death Note, different writer): You'll really know how manga is made and how it works, seeing it's about two boys who become manga artists ;)
King of Thorn (Ibara no Ou): This isn't a very-well known series (of the people I know here, only one actually has read it), but I really liked the concept and the plot: whole world becomes infected with a virus, leaving only a few survivors...but then?
Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei: A pessimistic, suicidal teacher who despairs at every single thing in the world, an extremely-optimistic-to-the-point-of-being-creepy student and a class full of well, weirdos. What could go wrong?

EDIT: Oh gosh, how could I forget Attack on Titan? Man-eating giants (the Titans) appear out of nowhere and eat much of the world's population, forcing the survivors to (mostly) degenerate into a pseudo-medieval type of civilization. What remained of humanity barricaded themselves in a country guarded by three concentric walls thought to be impenetrable - until one day a sixty-meter Titan manages to breach the outer wall, ending the hundred years of peace that humankind enjoyed. And that's where the story begins.

GlassHouse wrote:My son likes some Manga, or did, I'm not sure if he's still into it. One of his favorites was a series called One Piece which was about pirates but that's all I can tell you about it because it got seriously weird after that. I think that series was aimed more at little kids but it seems some of it is aimed more at teens and some of it seems to have a science fiction slant. Are any of the those stories any good as science fiction?
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the drawing style but maybe I'm just not the target audience.

What do yo like about it?

Manga is generally classified according to their target demographics like children's, shonen (adolescent males), shojo (adolescent females), seinen (18–30 year old males), and josei. Of course, these aren't hard-and-fast categories: for example, some shonen series are also popular amongst females. Manga (and anime) aren't really seen as 'kids' stuff' in Japan as comics or cartoons might be in the West.

I'll admit One Piece is one of those series which almost everyone familiar with anime and manga will know - even if they've never actually read it. (Me included. :lol: ) It's right up there with Bleach, Dragonball, Yu-gi-oh and Naruto. Incidentally, these are all shonen manga.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Re:

Postby MeadowForest » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:22 am

GlassHouse wrote:My son likes some Manga, or did, I'm not sure if he's still into it. One of his favorites was a series called One Piece which was about pirates but that's all I can tell you about it because it got seriously weird after that.

I have a few of the One Piece mangas. The only manga I could be bothered with. I saw some of the anime first which seemed decent enough for me to try the manga. I would say it's appeal runs further than just for children and teens.
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby Arlaug » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:01 am

I've decided to try Death Note, mainly because of my friend who, whilst we were on a trip to Slovakia last year sought wifi connection so eagerly in order to read a part of it. I found it quite funny but now I've seen the graphich and I like it very much.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Return to The Books (Other Authors)