R. A. Salvatore

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

R. A. Salvatore

Postby Sinister71 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:01 am

other than Tolkien hands down my favorite author. I've read every book he has ever written and have met him twice. Very nice guy. He even ended up ripping the cover off (accidentally of course) my Crystal Shard book from 1988 at Dragon-Con last year. The plus side is I framed it with the first page of the novel that he autographed and personalized for me.

I'm also a fan of early Stephen King Carrie, The Shining, IT, Salem's Lot are a few of my favorites of his.
Sinister71
Citizen of Imladris

Re: R. A. Salvatore

Postby shanetkirk » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Sinister71 wrote:other than Tolkien hands down my favorite author. I've read every book he has ever written and have met him twice. Very nice guy. He even ended up ripping the cover off (accidentally of course) my Crystal Shard book from 1988 at Dragon-Con last year. The plus side is I framed it with the first page of the novel that he autographed and personalized for me.

I'm also a fan of early Stephen King Carrie, The Shining, IT, Salem's Lot are a few of my favorites of his.

It's a little freaky that you just called out my three favorite authors of all time. My order is a little different though: Stephen, JRR and then RA. But I have to tell you Robert Salvatore is fascinating. I turned one of my close friends onto him when she was writing a fantasy book and now she is collaborating with him or he is helping her. She sent me a photo of her and him together and thanked me. I was like, hey wait I didn't get to hang out with him! LOL

If you like Stephen King's older work, do yourself a favor and emmerse yourself into the Dark Tower series. In my opinion, it's probably the most brilliant writing ever. I catagorize these guys as the three best in this:
Stephen King: the language of the story and the development of the character
JRR Tolkien: Straight up best story teller ever
Salvatore: Best descriptive action writer of all time!

I burned through the Belgariad which is fantastic and Terry Brooks. Right now I am going through The Wheel of Time and most recently read Mistborn. There is some amazing stuff out there!
shanetkirk
Petitioner to the Council

Return to The Books (Other Authors)