Last Minute Book Ideas for Christmas

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Last Minute Book Ideas for Christmas

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:04 am

So, what's on your list this year? Both for yourself and for others?
GlassHouse
Mariner

Re: Last Minute Book Ideas for Christmas

Postby Hobbit_Guy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:07 pm

On my list this year are Hammond & Scull's Art of The Hobbit (which apparently came out while I was gone from the fandom for a few years), Rateliff's one-volume History of The Hobbit (up until now I've only owned volume two), and a newer copy of The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays. If I still had room on my list for other books, I'd probably ask to build up my collection of more of Janny Wurts' novels.

However, my bookcase is past overflowing, and some of the shelves are starting to buckle. I have a few stacks of books (that don't fit into my bookcase) on my nightstand, bureau, and desk. Eep. Looks like I'm going to have to downsize ... even though I recently purchased myself a good amount of Tolkienian books (Annotated Hobbit, Words of Westernesse, A Question of Time, Tolkien and the Great War, and The Road to Middle-earth, La Feuille de la Compagnie 3).

That aside, does anyone have any book recommendations? I could always use more books. :twisted: Now if I only had room for another bookcase ... :|

I also bought the new Nick Drake book as a gift for a friend; hopefully she likes it! Her bookcase situation is about the same as mine, though. :(
Hobbit_Guy
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:25 am

I wish I knew!

Buying for myself is easy, despite the bulging shelves and the stacks on the floor and the storage bin(s), I have no trouble finding something for me. The wish list is long, and I'm good at finding serendipitous things. It's buying for my husband that's the problem!! He's a great candidate for books, but usually the things I know he wants, he already gets long before the holidays! Once in a while I get lucky.

Then there was the year we each got the other the same book... :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby GlassHouse » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:59 am

I'm stumped too, that's why I asked but if you have a wish list of your own then that may help others find something for someone on thier list.

For hard sci fi fans I recommend Robert Charles Wilson's Darwinia. (I'll let you read the reviews instead of trying to describe these suggestions myself)
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/760961.Darwinia

and the one I just remembered about that Wilson recommended on his Facebook page.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Bone-Clocks-A ... 1400065674
David Mitchell's THE BONE CLOCKS. Really superb, and I think it sets a truly high bar for adult fantasy -- or quasi-science-fiction, however you want to categorize the book. For me, fantasy often runs into what I think of as the "arbitrariness problem" -- magical powers of arbitrary strength ("I can create Frozen Fire, because I have the Frozen Fire talent!") with arbitrary weaknesses ("But it doesn't work in the presence of cold iron or cotton/poly blends!"). Or the Cryptic Supernatural Communication problem: Protagonist receives momentous messages from Beyond, but the Beyond hasn't mastered the art of the declarative sentence and speaks only in portentous hints. (As in the movie INTERSTELLAR, where a posthuman culture of the future creates a five-dimensional replica of the past inside a black hole but neglects to tell its intended user what he's supposed to do with it.) BONE CLOCKS mostly dodges those problems, or at least skirts them. But the best thing about it is how rigorously the fantasy plot is tied into a really fine portrayal of real people living in the real world. I love that borderland between the real and the strange, the little clock of our lives and the big clock of the cosmos, and Mitchell walks that line as well as anybody in the business.

But that's all I got except that I bought my daughter a copy of Neil Gaiman's graphic novel Mr. Punch just because the art by Dave McKean was so good.
http://www.neilgaiman.com/works/Comics/ ... l+Tragedy/

more suggestions are definitely welcome.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:25 am

I still have to get Rateliff. And there are zillions of critical works about Tolkien that have come out in the last 20 or so years that somehow I missed; I'll have to look them up online or something to see what they are! I'm looking for more critical books on Dickens too; I don't have enough. :P

Does anyone out there happen to know if the HoME volumes ever continued coming out in plain covers??? I just Don't want the ones in illustrated covers, as if they were finished stories!!!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Return to The Books (Other Authors)