RIP Terry Pratchett

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

RIP Terry Pratchett

Postby Morwenna » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:44 am

Yes I'm shocked! :shock: I just read about it on another board, so I looked it up on BBC.

I really thought he had been planning more books! And yes, I knew about his plans to "go gently," but I don't know if this was that or nature taking its course. 66, younger than me. Sheesh.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Re: RIP Terry Pratchett

Postby Samuel Vimes » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:58 pm

So sad, no words, just sadness and emptiness and loss.

I knew he suffered from early onset Alzheimer's and that would be his end eventually.
But not now, so soon.

First Mr Nimoy and now Sir Terry.
The world seems an emptier and duller place, as if some of the joy has left it.
I listened to him at a convention some considerable number of years ago and he was a joy to listen to, great fun and very engaging.

You will be missed, I will always treasure your books and keep them alive but I will miss you.

Be at peace and in the care of the Reaper Man.

Old Stoneface grieves
Samuel Vimes
Citizen of Imladris

Postby solicitr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:22 pm

AND NOW WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Terry followed the tall figure out into the dark desert under the black sky.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:37 pm

We saw him at 3 different SF conventions (hubby also saw him at a local book signing) and he was truly a joy to listen to. His books are among the few that hubby insists on buying in hardcover. We all watched his struggle and wished him the best. And it turns out that it was a chest infection combined with the Alzheimer's, though he was doing better than expected with the Alzheimer's alone. Go figure.

He will be so very much missed.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby solicitr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:26 pm

Since it's traditional for mourners to remember the ligter and happier things about the departed (and with TP there are a lot of those)

You have to like the College of Heralds getting into the spirit of the thing in designing Pterry's arms to go along with his knighthood:

Crest
Upon a Helm with a Wreath Argent and Sable On Water Barry wavy Sable Argent and Sable an Owl affronty wings displayed and inverted Or supporting thereby two closed Books erect Gules.

Escutcheon
Sable an ankh between four Roundels in saltire each issuing Argent.

Motto
Noli Timere Messorem (Don't fear the reaper)

Discworld readers will get the references
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby Aravar » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:29 am

I met him at a book signing in 1988 in my first year at University. This was actually before he became really popular because there was no queue. He just came down the steps in Dillons sat at the table and signed the books (Mort, Sourcery and Wyrd Sisters). I was too shy in the presence of a Famous Author to chat to him.

I regret not going to see him speak at the university RPG soc later that year. A couple of my friends did and said there were just about a dozen people chatting with him in the room. At the time he said he was thinking of winding up Discworld with the Apocralpyse after twelve books. How stange that seems now.

RIP, you will be sorely missed.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:13 am

I love those arms! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Denethor » Wed May 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Aravar wrote:I regret not going to see him speak at the university RPG soc later that year. A couple of my friends did and said there were just about a dozen people chatting with him in the room. At the time he said he was thinking of winding up Discworld with the Apocralpyse after twelve books. How stange that seems now.

Well, we still got the Pratchett Apocalypse in the form of Good Omens. :D

I need to get around to reading the last couple of Tiffany Aching books.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 am

Denethor wrote:
Aravar wrote:I regret not going to see him speak at the university RPG soc later that year. A couple of my friends did and said there were just about a dozen people chatting with him in the room. At the time he said he was thinking of winding up Discworld with the Apocralpyse after twelve books. How stange that seems now.

They're really good, and quite a bit more adult than the Tiffany sequence as a whole had been advertised. They tie up a lot of things too.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Denethor » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:39 pm

Morwenna wrote:
Denethor wrote:

They're really good, and quite a bit more adult than the Tiffany sequence as a whole had been advertised. They tie up a lot of things too.

That's good to hear. I was honestly quite disappointed at mainstream Discworld after Thud! Snuff and Raising Steam in particular are just terrible.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Return to The Books (Other Authors)