Any Clean Romance Books?

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Any Clean Romance Books?

Postby Elvish Hobbit » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:37 pm

Hi, everyone.
Well, this is my first thread on the forum, so I'm sort of nervous. Crazy, I know. :D
anyway, coming to the topic, I want to know the names of some clean romance books if there are any. Generally not interested in romance, something caused me to read some books, but having known about them and the content they happen to have I'm little confused about them. Can you please help me?
Thank you.
EH
Elvish Hobbit
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Any Clean Romance Books?

Postby JewelSong » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:30 am

Not sure what you are asking here. If you are "generally not interested in romance" why would you want to read romance books? As far as "clean" goes....do you mean sex? Most romance novels have a bit of sex in them. Some are more explicit than others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby Elvish Hobbit » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:50 am

JewelSong wrote:Not sure what you are asking here. If you are "generally not interested in romance" why would you want to read romance books? As far as "clean" goes....do you mean sex? Most romance novels have a bit of sex in them. Some are more explicit than others.

Hey, JewelSong!
Didn't I make this explicit what I'm asking? And yeah, "clean" less of sex stuff and I do know most romance do have this kind of stuff. But there might be a number of books in which these things are not written so clear. Just wondering there is NO romance book without it? :o
Elvish Hobbit
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:17 am

There always a classic like Pride and Prejudice - I don't think there's any sex in that. :D
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby JewelSong » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:58 am

It's implied, though.

JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:29 am

I'm not sure you can have a romance book without any sex implied at all. It's not really romance if there's no physical attraction.
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Elvish Hobbit » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:53 pm

If it's 'implied' there it's not a big deal, but can there be a book without too much of physical intimacy? I tired once reading The Notebook, and could have continued it had the intimacy been b/w the protagonists only, but the guy seemed to be jumping on bed with many women after the girl left in the beginning phase of their relationship. I do have Pride and Prejudice, though. Not read yet.
Elvish Hobbit
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Morwenna » Sun May 10, 2015 3:51 pm

I suppose that if you could find some romances written back in the '50s they wouldn't have explicit sex in them. But they probably are not still in print.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby markkur » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:54 am

Elvish Hobbit wrote:Hi, everyone.
Well, this is my first thread on the forum, so I'm sort of nervous. Crazy, I know. :D
anyway, coming to the topic, I want to know the names of some clean romance books if there are any. Generally not interested in romance, something caused me to read some books, but having known about them and the content they happen to have I'm little confused about them. Can you please help me?
Thank you.
EH

Take a look through Gutenberg.org
Lots of stuff no doubt. I'm not a Romance reader and (to each their own) I consider sex..sex; as if I want to see or read what someone else does, even fake someones. Give Eric Bright-eyes a go. It's old and traditional but very well done and you know the hero and heroine are absolutely in love...not lust.

Anyway, there are probably tones of books with clean relationships.
markkur
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MissMontana » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:42 am

Pride and Prejudice is an absolute classic.
MissMontana
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Elvish Hobbit » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:15 pm

Thank you, everyone. I'm delighted to read the comments. And few months back I read Dear John by Nicholas Sparks as someone had suggested me. It didn't have much explicit sexual stuff but more like I personally can handle. Yet the story seemed quite incomplete and illogical. I wished to read something extremely gut-wrenching but wasn't satisfied. Rest, I might try Pride and Prejudice very soon!
Elvish Hobbit
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arassuil » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:09 pm

Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Arlaug » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:58 am

Persuasion by Jane Austen and literally anything by Bronte sisters. Just...gorgeous. I'd go for Jane Eyre and TOWH
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Celeb-Lammen » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:22 am

Doctor Sally, by P.G.Wodehouse, is a sensibly treated romance. I was once as you, but when I found Wodehouse I realised that romance can be worth reading. Try it!
Celeb-Lammen

Postby Felarof » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Morwenna wrote:I suppose that if you could find some romances written back in the '50s they wouldn't have explicit sex in them. But they probably are not still in print.

Neville Shute novels were published around that time. I like his books because he tells good stories, where a romance is usually incorporated, but is not the sole interest. "A Town Like Alice" is quite well known because it has been filmed. Less well known, but a favourite of mine, is "The Chequer Board." I recommended that to a book group I'm in, and it was well-received by the other members.
Felarof

Return to The Books (Other Authors)