Classic stock characters in fiction

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Classic stock characters in fiction

Postby Billobob » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:48 am

In this thread the intention is to talk about some classic stock characters that you find in almost every book like for example: the mad scientist, the damsel in distress, or the wise mentor. There a lot more to talk about if anyone wants to.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Re: Classic stock characters in fiction

Postby portia » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:24 am

I recently watched CB de Mile's circus movie (The Greatest Show on Earth). Talk about stock characters!!

The tough but tender hearted show boss; the proud and arrogant high wire artist (female) the male high wire artist, also arrogant. The clown hiding out in the circus. . . .
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Billobob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:43 pm

portia wrote:I recently watched CB de Mile's circus movie (The Greatest Show on Earth). Talk about stock characters!!

The tough but tender hearted show boss; the proud and arrogant high wire artist (female) the male high wire artist, also arrogant. The clown hiding out in the circus. . . .

Or some others are: The secretly kindhearted badass female warrior, the hidden prince, or the comical bard.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Chariot Rider » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:35 pm

Current I am reading the Screwtape letters by C.S. Lewis and I think there is a "wise mentor" mentality that I haven't had with any other character in another book. For those who are not familiar with the Screwtape letters it is essentially a book from the perspective of a demon. Screwtape's nephew wormwood is tempting a min who goes unnamed throughout the novel. The reason I find this to be a special mentor is because Screwtape is evil and Lewis makes that very clear throught the novel. He understands humans for the sole purpose of delivering them to "his father below". So ultimately through Screwtape lewis points out how to be a better Christian and that is why the Screwtape letters is one of my favorite Lewis works and lewis is one of my favorite authors.
Chariot Rider
Shield Bearer

Postby Billobob » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:35 pm

Yeah I've read that book. Very interesting. But is Screw tape wise or is he merely. Just experienced in the art of temptation?
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Chariot Rider » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Billobob wrote:Yeah I've read that book. Very interesting. But is Screw tape wise or is he merely. Just experienced in the art of temptation?

I think that both come with time. One does not simply become wise (or would it be anti-wise) immediately and it is the same way with being an experienced tempter. I think it is a "were there is smoke there is fire" sort of thing.
Chariot Rider
Shield Bearer

Postby Billobob » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:53 am

In Horror novels/movies you usually see: the popular girl, the alpha male, main character girl, the chatterbox, and the jokester.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Return to The Books (Other Authors)