Reading Challenge 2016

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Reading Challenge 2016

Postby heliona » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:31 pm

Hello fellow bibliophiles. :bookworm:

Today is apparently International Book Lovers Day and so I have taken up a reading challenge. I'm hoping that it will encourage me to get stuck in to the books on my shelves that are waiting to be read.

I realise that it is rather late in the year to be starting such a challenge, but I'll just take it as a year from today. :) I'm also not doubling up on requirements, since I'm aiming to read as many books as possible.

Anyway, here is the list (it is slanted towards American readers, such as the National Book Awards. I'm going to read a Man Booker prize-winning book instead.):

Reading Challenge 2016

My first book is Birth of a Theorem: A Mathematical Adventure by Cédric Villani for the "Translated into English" requirement.

Anyone else want to take up the challenge? :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Re: Reading Challenge 2016

Postby hamlet » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:55 pm

I would seriously love to start that challenge, but I'm a very slow reader really. Since I started the whole health debacle I've had nothing to do but read and see doctors and I have only managed about 900 pages of one book. I'm hoping to finish it this week and then move on to the HUGE stack of unread "should read" books on my own list. I think my next book will either be one of the Dresden Files or some Terry Pratchet for a light change-up after this heavy tome sitting next to me. A five pound paperback.

I told Mrs. H about it, though, and she's now determined to read as much as she can to take up the slack.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:54 am

I don't think it matters how long it takes really. It is more about reading books that you might not have read, or in my case, encouraging me to actually read the books I've been wanting to read for ages!

Good luck and more importantly, enjoy! :bookworm:

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Anriel Mendereth » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:18 am

Ooh I'm in, but can we count books we have already read this year?
Anriel Mendereth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:46 am

Nope! I asked that, but apparently that's not allowed. :cry2:

heliona

Postby siddharth » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:19 am

I'd love to but I'm not so fast a reader as to read that many within a year. Plus time constraints.
We shall see. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:32 am

Well, don't stick to a year. (Bear in mind that a few of them are potentially quite small.)

heliona

Postby siddharth » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:56 am

Oh yeah. I'll try to. :D

(And there are some that don't hold my interest, like the romance one.)

I'm currently going through Terry Pratchett's 'Mort' and King's 'Night Shift'. The latter is my first Stephen King book.
I wonder if they fall under any.

I'm also four books into 'War and Peace'. I guess it can come under the 'translated' section.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:56 am

Most of Stephen King's books were on the New York Bestseller list.

It doesn't matter whether the categories interest you or not. You're not allowed to pick and choose which categories you read. That's the point of it being a challenge. The idea is to get you to read books that you wouldn't normally. I normally wouldn't read autobiographies or political books, but I'm going to. The romance set in the future could be quite interesting - if you can find a sci-fi book that isn't completely a romance, but has a romantic story in it.

heliona

Postby Denethor » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:28 pm

My own challenge for 2016 is reading a hundred books this year. I might try this challenge for 2017.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:16 pm

I wonder how you go about finding books that meet some of these descriptions, like 'a book that's becoming a movie this year' or 'a book and its prequel'. I suppose 'Oprah's Book Club' and 'YA bestseller' have lists available online.
I don't think I could do reading challenges, but it's certainly interesting to check your recent reading against this and see if it's as diverse as you think it is. :D

Keep us updated how it's going, heliona! I'll be interested to see what your picks for the categories are. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby heliona » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:04 am

The people who publish the list also give suggestions for them.

I think the film one is pretty easy - just Google "books being made into films" and see what you get. :)

As for the others, I ask other people. Wilko's been helpful with suggestions, although I think we're still stuck on "book and its prequel".

Right now, I'm not doing well, because my first book is rather difficult to get into. I must make more of an effort, since it's not particularly long!

heliona

Postby truehobbit » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:06 am

Is it very mathemathical, then? A short while ago, I read Ross King's "Brunelleschi's Dome", which head a lot of background history of the people involved (though much of it guesswork) and the times, so wasn't all about architectural detail, but quite an entertaining mix. Still, the bits that would have been most fascinating - the feats of statics involved in raising the dome - remained a bit mysterious to me, I didn't really get to understand anything about statics that I hadn't already known from my art history classes back at Uni. I think explaining such concepts to a general audience while remaining entertaining is quite difficult.

I'm currently reading "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" - my second attempt at it, and I like it much better this time round than eight or ten years ago, when I gave up around page 80. So, that would definitely be my 600+ pages book for the list. I might be another six months reading it, though. ;)

I've been thinking of prequels: I can't really imagine you and wilko being into "Anne of Green Gables" :D - but I remembered that a few years ago I read "Before Green Gables" - a fairly recent book where the author tells the story of Anne from her birth to coming to Green Gables. Wasn't bad at all, really, they made Anne rather too precocious by any stretch of the imagination, but on the whole I thought they had some good ideas for filling the gaps that Mongomery left. :D

Or you could just re-read the Sil - after all, that was finalised and published long after LOTR and gives you the story of what happened before. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby heliona » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:40 am

It is very mathematical, and most mathematicians don't understand the maths, let alone someone like me! The bits in between are interesting. I might actually get it finished this weekend, if I get into it. :)

I'm not allowed to read anything that I've read before, so The Silmarillion isn't allowed, sadly! Thanks for the suggestion - I shall bear it in mind if I can't think of anything else. ;)

heliona

Postby Aravar » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:43 pm

heliona wrote:I.I normally wouldn't read autobiographies or political books, but I'm going to.

Good to see you're finally seeing the light and reading the Downing Street Years by the Blessed Leader. [/quote]

:P

A good political book is The Rise of Political Lying by Peter Oborne. Alan Clark's diaries are also entertaining.

Are the categories allowed to overlap? Swallows and Amazons for example, would fit a number of categories.

There is a dire lack of history in the categories.

No, there's also no overlap allowed. And since I've read all the Swallows and Amazons books, they wouldn't be allowed anyway.

There is a lack of history - I am planning on reading a history of the Dark Ages for one of the topics, though.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Aravar » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:11 pm

Re-reads must be allowed: otherwise how would the book that you haven't read since High School work?
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:32 pm

I believe that's the only exception. The idea is to get you to read books you wouldn't normally read.

heliona

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:47 pm

I love the categories but I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge. That's a lot of reading!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Aravar » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:28 pm

For book and its prequel you could do Sharpe's Rifles, which is the first book in the series, which is already in the Peninsular and Sharpe is an officer, and then read Sharpe's Tiger, which is set in India before he got his commission.

There's also the Belgariad which is rather long but has two prequels (both also long) about two of the main characters.

Night's Watch is sort of a prequel to Guards! Guards!by Terry Pratchett.

If you haven't read the Narnia books The Magician's Nephew is a prequel to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:33 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Aravar. I think that is the hardest category! I've read the Narnia books, and the Belgariad (I found the "prequels" of Belgarad and Polgara much more interesting, actually), but the others I haven't. If I can use this to get to reading the Discworld novels, that'd be good!

heliona

Postby Aravar » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:40 am

The thing about the Pratchetts though is that you probably need to read the other City Watch books before reading Night Watch (there are another five!)
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:38 am

Yeah, maybe I'll leave them 'til last unless I get another suggestion! :D

heliona

Postby siddharth » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:26 am

Any suggestions for someone who has read very limited non-fiction/political literature? (For the given categories)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Aravar » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:54 am

siddharth wrote:Any suggestions for someone who has read very limited non-fiction/political literature? (For the given categories)

It rather depends where your interests lie. I could give you a number of titles on military history, but that isn't a subject to everyone's taste.

The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius satisfies a number of categories.

It's difficult with regard to the political memoir: I'd recommend Alan Clark's Diaries. They are well written and vivid, but I suspect they are only of interest to a British audience, and perhaps only those who are interested in politics in the 80s at that.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:00 am

Here's my list that I'm intending to read (there are still a few gaps). Most of these were chosen because not only do they fit the category (sometimes slightly tenuously ;) ) but they're on our bookshelves. The * is the one I'm reading at the moment.

Reading Challenge 2016

A book based on a fairy tale – The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty (Anne Rice) (finished on/about 16/11/2016)
• A National Book Award winner (Man Booker prize) – Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
• A YA bestseller – City of Glass (Cassandra Clare)
A book you haven’t read since high school – James and the Giant Peach (Roald Dahl) (read on 13/9/2016)
• A book set in your home county – The Crow Road (Iain Banks)
A book translated into English – Birth of a Theorem (Cedric Villani) (finished on 13/9/2016)
• A romance set in the future – book by JD Robb
• A book set in Europe – The Solitaire Mystery (Jostein Gaarder)
• A book that’s under 150 pages – book by Spike Milligan
• A New York Times bestseller – book by Stephen King
A book that’s becoming a movie this year – Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (finished on/about 13/11/2016)
• A book recommended by someone you just met
A self-improvement book - Thanks for the Money (Joel McHale) (finished 21/11/2016)
• A book you can finish in a day
• A book written by a celebrity – The Liar (Stephen Fry)
• A political memoir
• A book at least 100 years older than you – Homer’s Odyssey
• A book that’s more than 600 pages – Gormenghast (Mervyn Peake)
• A book from Oprah’s Book Club – 100 Years of Solitude/Anna Karenina/East of Eden
• A science-fiction novel
• A book recommended by a family member – The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafón)
• A graphic novel – Maus (Art Spiegelman)
• A book that is published in 2016 – Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (JK Rowling)
• A book with a protagonist who has your occupation – Something Wicked This Way Comes* (Ray Bradbury)
• A book that takes place during summer – To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
• A book and its prequel
• A murder mystery
• A book written by a comedian – Are You Dave Gorman? (Dave Gorman)
• A dystopian novel – Fahrenheit 451 / Snow Crash
• A book with a blue cover – The Silver Bough (Lisa Tuttle)
• A book of poetry – TS Elliot’s Book of Cats
• The first book you see in a bookstore – 7 Brief Lessons on Physics
• A classic from the 20th century -
• A book from the library
• An autobiography – Kenny Dalgleish
• A book about a road trip – American Gods (Neil Gaiman)
• A book about a culture you’re unfamiliar with – In the Land of Giants
• A satirical book – book by Terry Pratchett
• A book that takes place on an island – The Coral Island (RM Ballantyne)
• A book that’s guaranteed to bring you joy

heliona

Postby Aravar » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:44 am

Here's mine so far.

Reading Challenge 2016

• A book based on a fairy tale –
• A National Book Award winner (Orwell prize) – The Rule of Law -Tom Bingham
• A YA bestseller – The Shepherd's Crown- Terry Pratchett
• A book you haven’t read since high school – The Odyssey - Homer
• A book set in your home county –
• A book translated into English – Traumnovelle - Arthur Schnitzler
• A romance set in the future –
• A book set in Europe – Baudolino - Umberto Eco
• A book that’s under 150 pages – A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
• A New York Times bestseller – The Children of Hurin -Guess Who?
• A book that’s becoming a movie this year – Tarzan of the Apes
• A book recommended by someone you just met
• A self-improvement book _ The Chimp Paradox
• A book you can finish in a day -The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
• A book written by a celebrity – Confessions of a Conjuror- Derren Brown
• A political memoir - Kind of Blue - Ken Clarke
• A book at least 100 years older than you – Coningsby - Disraeli
• A book that’s more than 600 pages – The Count of Monte Cristo- Dumas
• A book from Oprah’s Book Club – Anna Karenina
• A science-fiction novel - Swords of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
• A book recommended by a family member – The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
• A graphic novel – The Killing Joke - Alan Moore
• A book that is published in 2016 – Ravenspur: Rise of the Tudors - Conn Iggulden
• A book with a protagonist who has your occupation –
• A book that takes place during summer – Foxglove Summer - Ben Aaronovitch
• A book and its prequel
• A murder mystery
• A book written by a comedian –
• A dystopian novel – Brave New World - Huxley
• A book with a blue cover – The Command of the Ocean - NAM Rodger
• A book of poetry – Metamorphoses - Ovid
• The first book you see in a bookstore –
• A classic from the 20th century - Brideshead Revisted - Evelyn Waugh
• A book from the library
• An autobiography –An Encyclopedia of Myself - Jonathan Meades
• A book about a road trip – Nomad - Alan Partridge
• A book about a culture you’re unfamiliar with – Vanished Kingdoms - Norman Davies
• A satirical book –
• A book that takes place on an island – Pompey - Jonathan Meades
• A book that’s guaranteed to bring you joy - Captain in Calico - George Macdonald Fraser
Last edited by Aravar on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:26 am

Aravar wrote:
siddharth wrote:Any suggestions for someone who has read very limited non-fiction/political literature? (For the given categories)

It rather depends where your interests lie. I could give you a number of titles on military history, but that isn't a subject to everyone's taste.

I love history and cultures and the origin of things, traditions etc. Mostly anything till or before WW2, though I have a preference for the dark ages and medieval history.

As for politics, um, something more basic and easygoing? It's not a field I have that much interest in. (so far)

Encouraged by it's reviews, I just got my hands on Stephen Mitchell's "Gilgamesh" which is supposed to be a more structured retelling of Gilgamesh's tale.

My list so far...

• A book based on a fairy tale –
• A National Book Award winner (Orwell prize) – Shield of Achilees (W.H. Auden)
• A YA bestseller – Mort (Terry Pratchett)
• A book you haven’t read since high school – King Solomon's Mines (H.Rider Haggard)
• A book set in your home county – Sea of Poppies (Amitav Ghosh)
• A book translated into English – War and Peace (Tolstoy)
• A romance set in the future –
• A book set in Europe –
• A book that’s under 150 pages – A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
• A New York Times bestseller – The Night Circus (Erin Morgenstern)
• A book that’s becoming a movie this year – Silence (Shusaku Endo)
• A book recommended by someone you just met -
• A self-improvement book _
• A book you can finish in a day -
• A book written by a celebrity –
• A political memoir -
• A book at least 100 years older than you –
• A book that’s more than 600 pages –
• A book from Oprah’s Book Club –
• A science-fiction novel - Second Foundations (Isaac Asimov)
• A book recommended by a family member –
• A graphic novel – Arkham Asylym (Grant Morrison)
• A book that is published in 2016 – Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (J.K.Rowling)
• A book with a protagonist who has your occupation –
• A book that takes place during summer –
• A book and its prequel
• A murder mystery
• A book written by a comedian –
• A dystopian novel – Fahrenheit 451 Ray Bradbury
• A book with a blue cover – Gilgamesh (Stephen Mitchell)
• A book of poetry – Tennyson's selected poems
• The first book you see in a bookstore –
• A classic from the 20th century - Once and Future King (T.H.White)
• A book from the library -
• An autobiography –
• A book about a road trip – The Elephant's Journey (Jose Saramango)
• A book about a culture you’re unfamiliar with –
• A satirical book –
• A book that takes place on an island –
• A book that’s guaranteed to bring you joy - Guards! Guards! (Pratchett)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:13 pm

I just got myself a kindle. Maybe I'll have to give this a go...
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:01 pm

War and Peace, siddharth?! Wow, you're reaching high. :D And that's not even your book over 600 pages. ;)

heliona

Postby siddharth » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:41 pm

I was in the middle of it (well a quarter actually) so thought I'd include that. :P Also why I'm pretty sure I won't be able to complete the whole challenge.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to The Books (Other Authors)