Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Re: Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series

Postby Melwa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Okay, the clamour has drawn me in. Either that, or I'm still following Sid :P Anyway, I need a book, and decided to give this series a try again. Which book should I begin with?
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:56 pm

:shock: Oi, we have another reader here!
Rwhen, what did I say about SPOILERS? :D :D :D

Why welcome Melwa. As Calma mentioned, the original series constitutes
Dragonflight, Dragonquest and then The White Dragon.

Following TWD, is All the Weyrs of Pern.

So that's the suggested order. All the others are extensions of the series.

So when you're planning to try'em out? :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 am

No problem, I saw discussions mentioning spoilers, so I didn't read anything above my post. :D

Starting right now, as I need a book. Gotta go reserve it at the library . . . check!
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Try to finish the first book, even if you don't like it at the start. As I said, I had to read half of it to finally get the complete picture! :D
Tell us how they're coming up. :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:12 pm

I've read a short story, and part of the one where the colonists are landing, so I have some idea already of how Pern works. I'm about halfway through Dragonflight right now. I'm fascinated by the new world to learn about, but I'm thinking right now that I won't want to read any more. ( :( Sorry to you devoted fans) For one thing, I don't love any of the characters. Lessa is rude, and vengeful, F'lar is arrogant and enjoys covertly insulting people, so does F'nor. Plus I really don't like the family relationships. But for all that, I'm definitely intrigued to learn how they shall defeat the evil Thread. :D And if Lessa will learn to trust someone other than a dragon.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:24 am

Hey Melwa. So did you put the book down or continue?

I think you are right in the arrogance of the dragon riders. They are there for one reason, to protect Pern and when they are treated so badly because of the long pass, I think they are arrogant. But to my mind for the right reasons. F'lar AND F'nor are honorable men as are most of the dragon riders. As he gets proven right, things turn the other way and they grow to be respected (for the most part).

Lessa. It is hard to forget that she is actually very young and had a very traumatic start in life. Coming from Ruatha, which was one of the most respected houses, to fall to total disrepair and disrespect under Fax. She is a hard lady, no doubt. But you will see (if you continue) that there is a soft side to her in many ways.

The short you read was the outtake of "Dragons Dawn".....showing the settlers coming to Pern. How thread came to be and how they had to learn to cope with it. Mostly it shows how the planet devolves into a primitive life from a high tech lifestyle. That is something that I didn't expect when I first read the books. I suppose that I never questioned why they lived that way until AVIAS. Then it all made much more sense.

Maybe you will give it another go or already have. At the end of things, we don't all like the same writers. And that is why they make chocolate and vanilla. ;)

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby siddharth » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:27 am

rwhen wrote:Hey Melwa. So did you put the book down or continue?

I think you are right in the arrogance of the dragon riders. They are there for one reason, to protect Pern and when they are treated so badly because of the long pass, I think they are arrogant. But to my mind for the right reasons. F'lar AND F'nor are honorable men as are most of the dragon riders. As he gets proven right, things turn the other way and they grow to be respected (for the most part).

Lessa. It is hard to forget that she is actually very young and had a very traumatic start in life. Coming from Ruatha, which was one of the most respected houses, to fall to total disrepair and disrespect under Fax. She is a hard lady, no doubt. But you will see (if you continue) that there is a soft side to her in many ways.

The short you read was the outtake of "Dragons Dawn".....showing the settlers coming to Pern. How thread came to be and how they had to learn to cope with it. Mostly it shows how the planet devolves into a primitive life from a high tech lifestyle. That is something that I didn't expect when I first read the books. I suppose that I never questioned why they lived that way until AVIAS. Then it all made much more sense.

Maybe you will give it another go or already have. At the end of things, we don't all like the same writers. And that is why they make chocolate and vanilla. ;)

Exactly

Exactly

Exactly

Wow (for that last quote ;) )
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 pm

I did not stop in the middle. I finished it up. I see what you mean. The people of Pern have no moral code, really, so not understanding how much arrogance etc can hurt themselves is understandable. Dragon's Dawn - yes, we listened to part of that one on a tape. The short story I read was "The Smallest Dragonboy." And yes, Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry. :hug:

That hug goes for you too, Sid!
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Hmm, so you're leaving the series I presume?
Okay then.
Last edited by siddharth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:05 am

It's been a long time since I read the series, but for a little something different there's the YA ones, Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums, which follow some Harper apprentices during their training, who show up later as adults in the regular series. I'd say that if you want to read all or most of the books, slide those three in after (or before) The White Dragon.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:27 am

Morwenna, I agree and always recommend them as companion reading to the first three Pern books. They just "fit".

Vanadarlin', is now a fan, she has just finished the second book (or about to). Maybe when she is done, she will come and leave her thoughts here.

:D

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby portia » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:27 pm

I Did not read the books in order, and totally confused myself. So, I suggest trying to figure out an order, and follow it.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Greenfinch » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:56 am

Avoid the latest ones written by her son...
Greenfinch
Petitioner to the Council

Postby portia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:02 am

They are set much later, so you should avoid them for that reason. However, I feel that he has managed to continue the series pretty well, so by the time you get to the time he covers you can make up your own mind.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:42 am

We seem to have some interlopers, here.

On a trip, I listened to a tape of the story where the humans and porpoises finally figure out each other. It was funny, and heartwarming, both.
portia
Ringbearer

Previous

Return to The Books (Other Authors)