A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby hamlet » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:14 am

Actually, there are a couple of things he doesn't think through terribly well, and those are his greatest weaknesses.

Namely, his inability to keep his mouth shut when he most needs to, and almost more so, his pathological inability to deal with physical intimacy in a mature way, though I understand the latter considering what he's been put through.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:24 pm

I'm halfway through the second book and I just got to get one thing out of the way.

I get it that Tyrion has trouble on the stairs. I really do. Stop repeating it already!
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby hamlet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:52 am

That goes away after a while.

It gets repeated for the folks who tend to forget that Tyrion doesn't stand 6 feet tall with a healthy body so he has to rely on others to help him even though it's embarrassing.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Jaeniver » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:59 am

SilverScribe wrote:
I've seen a couple of trailers for the HBO series and I had to laugh when I saw Sean Bean was cast as Eddard Stark. Poor Sean, he just can't seem to get away from the herioc figure that gets into trouble ;) early on, can he? :P:D

He keeps on dying way to soon too ;)

I really liked the adaption made by HBO. finally got the series *it takes horribly long for HBO to get to us apparantly) Currently reading the second book myself. somehow I stopped after the first book. I do find this series to be the kind of book you need to keep reading in order to keep the story plots in your head, If I leave the book for too long I will forget these minor twists and plot turns.
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

Postby NaniofNarnórë » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:16 pm

I started reading this series two Sundays ago. I've almost finished book II: A Clash of Kings. They're fascinating, you never know what's going to happen next. I'm fond of all the characters that show their point of view, so I'm terrified all the time about what might happen to them; I got emotionally involved lol. I hardly ever cry, but so far A Song of Ice and Fire has made me cry like three times. It must be funny to watch me reading it.
I tend to disregard all fantasy series written after Tolkien, especially if their authors are labeled as "The next Tolkien" and the likes. I decided to give these books a chance after reading some of the opinions on this thread, it was a great reccomendation! I guess it's the two R's in the name xD.
So I'm officially obsessed with them right now. I even painted direwolves on my nails: Grey Wind and Ghost :lol: .

As far as I've read, I can say my favorite characters are Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Catelyn Stark. Catelyn has that kind of feminine strength that I admire, she kind of reminds me to my Granny. Jon is... well, he's the owner of Ghost, and he has grown a lot since he joined the Night's Watch. And Dany (with whom I share a shortened version of my name :p ) is so brave and passionate. I'm not sure what to think about Tyrion Lannister. I like him, and I consider him to be loyal... to the ones he loves and to his own cause. But then I think he may betray anyone and everyone, I can't really trust him. The one I don't like at all is Roose Bolton. I don't trust guys who enjoy, you know, ripping off other people's skin while they're still alive (skinning someone alive, that's how you say it, right?), and he takes it even further and shows a skinless man as his badge. No, no, no. I fear for the Tullys and the Starks, being allies of such a man.

When it comes to Houses, my allegiances are to the Starks, the Tullys and the Targaryen(s). It's funny how lions have always been my favorite animals, and wolves have always been among my least favorite ones, and these books are making me grow fond of wolves...

In Argentina, book III was released today (yayyy!) and we will have to wait till July for book IV, and till September or October for book V...
NaniofNarnórë
Citizen of Imladris

Postby celebalqua » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:43 am

Hi again Naniof

I recommend read slow.. Martin is pretty slow at producing then installments, we waited a long, long time between books 4 and 5 and now he is involved in producing the HBO series, so savour them, because they will read in no time at all and then you will be hanging on the thread with the rest of us!

Cel

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lady Silmarien » Fri May 11, 2012 8:03 am

I love these books! I found them right after I was coming off of post Potter depression; I actually love having another unfinished series to obsess and theorize about. And there's so much to work with; I'm just starting trying to get my theories down and its crazy because there's crazy magical stuff, political stuff, traitors, people in it for themselves, weird loyalties, gah, it's just all so fascinating.
I've just finished A Dance With Dragons, which was really good except I wasn't crazy about Dany's story in it. She's still one of my favorite characters; I've loved seeing her grow from being absolutely powerless to a pretty awesome queen. I also really like Tyrion. You can't trust him, but I think inside him he really does care about the common folk and the weak, which is a breath of only semi-polluted air, as there is practically no one else who gives a damn. The trouble is, sometimes he sacrifices them to save a single favorite. And the collar of hands scene at the end of Storm of Swords make me pretty mad at him. If he's lost his weird brand of compassion and just becomes a sarcastic manipulator, I could end up really hating him. I also like Brienne and Jaime, their characters and their relationship. I'm starting to get the feeling I'm going to fall head over heels in love with Sansa; her position right now and her new understanding of the world has a huge potential for making her a brilliant player. If she can combine political knowledge with Ned's honor and ability to make people loyal to him, she could be unstoppable. I really want this.
The one character I hate is Ramsay Snow. He's the most insane, evil sadistic horrible rotton evil psychotic not nice guy I've ever read about. The one reason I would like to live is Westros would be to kill him. I am planning a very painful death. I hate him. I hate him so hard. I'm not a fan of Theon, but Ramsay makes me want Theon to get himself together long enough to get revenge. He's the one person worse than Joffrey. I hate him.
I'm sure this is a surprise to you all.
Something I like about these books is that I don't think its going to end up anything like we thought at the beginning. I figured it was going to be Dany comes, saves everyone, lots of people are dead but there's peace then spring comes and bunnies are born yay. But with Dany having not even started towards Westros, there's just no way.I don't think the Game of Thrones even matters any more. Everything is going to depend on humanity's ability to unite and fight the White Walkers and Others and stuff, and right now they're sucking at it. But it's interesting because I don't thing GRRM has enough time left in the series to create a huge united humanity and epic zombie battles with dragons roasting everything. I dunno how its going to turn out, and that makes me very, very happy.
Lady Silmarien
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri May 11, 2012 9:56 am

I have a feeling GRRM doesn't know how it's going to turn out either. And that usually doesn't work well
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Mon May 14, 2012 7:55 am

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:I have a feeling GRRM doesn't know how it's going to turn out either. And that usually doesn't work well

I get the opposite sense, actually. Especially given events of book 5 where I can see lots of disparate threads beginning to angle back towards each other and things beginning to move towards some sort of cohesive conclusion.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby TheWagner » Fri May 18, 2012 2:16 pm

hamlet wrote:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:I have a feeling GRRM doesn't know how it's going to turn out either. And that usually doesn't work well

I get the opposite sense, actually. Especially given events of book 5 where I can see lots of disparate threads beginning to angle back towards each other and things beginning to move towards some sort of cohesive conclusion.
Well, it will wind up being like Harry Potter: those people who make the right inferences will say: "The Author was building towards it all along." Those who made the wrong inferences will say: "Clearly the Author just made it up on the go in the end."

So, do people think that we'll learn who Jon's mother is in Winter or in Spring? What about who the three heads are?
TheWagner
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Sun May 20, 2012 6:53 pm

What a fantastic surprise. I just started 'The Song of Fire and Ice' a few weeks ago and love it so far. It's been a long time since I like a heroic fantasy novel like the first book. It sounds by most of the feedback on this topic that Martin keeps it going in books 2 and on. 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Mon May 21, 2012 5:32 am

Dunthule wrote:What a fantastic surprise. I just started 'The Song of Fire and Ice' a few weeks ago and love it so far. It's been a long time since I like a heroic fantasy novel like the first book. It sounds by most of the feedback on this topic that Martin keeps it going in books 2 and on. 8)

Just morbidly curious . . . how far into it are you so far?

I've not met many who call it "heroic fantasy" by the end of the first book.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Wed May 23, 2012 11:56 pm

hamlet wrote:Just morbidly curious . . . how far into it are you so far?

This.

I have to say, though, by book three, Martin's manner of inserting unpredictable plot twists became predictable in itself. While I am not able to predict what is going to happen, I got pretty good at figuring out what is not going to happen.

And I confess, that final line in book 3 that is supposed to be so chilling, that got me laughing aloud. Which, come to think, is the only time I laughed over these books.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby hamlet » Thu May 24, 2012 5:19 am

I laugh all the time through the books. Mostly along with Dolorous Ed.

"A cook will prune you when you least expect it, M'lord . . ."
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Dunthule » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:14 pm

hamlet wrote:
Dunthule wrote:What a fantastic surprise. I just started 'The Song of Fire and Ice' a few weeks ago and love it so far. It's been a long time since I like a heroic fantasy novel like the first book. It sounds by most of the feedback on this topic that Martin keeps it going in books 2 and on. 8)

Just morbidly curious . . . how far into it are you so far?

LOL. Heroic is a bit of a misnomer, isn't it?
Epic fantasy is a much better fit. 8)

I love the way Tyrion corrects the grammar of others who ask him questions, etc. Something tells me that is a bit of GRRM himself. :wink:

I'm halfway through book 2. A favorite exchange to the affect:
Jon: "What do you know about being a bunnyslipper?"
Tyrion: "All dwarfs are bunnyslippers in their father's eyes"
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby krawler » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Dunthule wrote:I'm halfway through book 2. A favorite exchange to the affect:

:rofl: Gods bless TORC's auto-censor!
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:37 pm

LOL, I just saw that. I had no idea that the word was edited and replaced with bunnyslipper. :shock:
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby celebalqua » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:07 am

Dunthule wrote:I'm halfway through book 2. A favorite exchange to the affect:

ha ha ha

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Dunthule » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:20 pm

I found this list of Tyrion quotes. :)

http://www.tvfanatic.com/quotes/characters/tyrion-lannister/

Okay, I am 80% done with book 3, Storm of Swords.
Yikes! Moral ambiguity rules!!
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Wouldn't say ambiguous as just flat out not easy to parse. Just like, you know, real life, where the answer to "who's the villain" isn't "the guy with the Snidely Whiplash mustache of course!".
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Dunthule » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:57 am

Or the burned face, missing hand, .... The list could go on.
I just started the 4th book, Feast of Crows.
Meeting the Starks and Lannisters from The Game of Thrones seems like ancient history!
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:17 pm

Dunthule wrote:Or the burned face, missing hand, .... The list could go on.
I just started the 4th book, Feast of Crows.
Meeting the Starks and Lannisters from The Game of Thrones seems like ancient history!

Use caution. Book four is a significant shift in gears for the series and a great many people dislike it intensly.

Personally, I like it a lot.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Dunthule » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:01 am

Yep, definitely a shift of sorts. New characters introduced, others seemingly fading away . at least it appears so.
I see part of this occurring as GRRM expands the story line to other cities and lands. And his setting up book 5.
Does anyone know if the story goes beyond book 5?
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:36 am

There are two more books expected in the main cycle of novels. Cross your fingers that it doesn't grow yet again. This series started as a trilogy.

There is, though, a series of short stories (the Dunk and Egg novellas) that occur about 80-100 years prior to the novels that is quite good and has a lot of interesting backstory and coutnerpoint to the books. There's currently three of them and a fourth is expected within a year, perhaps.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Dunthule » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks for the info Hamlet.
I've looked online and haven't found an ETA for book 6.
I too hope they do not continue to grow. I love the story, but would hate to see it become 'Jordanesque'.

I just started book 5. Once done, I'll look up the novellas. :)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:37 am

Martin has ceased to post expected completion dates for his novels after the fiasco around book 5, which was several years late.

Essentially, "it'll be done when it's done."
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:53 pm

I saw an interview with Martin, in Sports Illustrated, of all places, saying that he couldn't commit to something because he was under contact to produce the next book within five years. Not sure if it's five years after the last one, or after the interview.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Dunthule » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:23 pm

Well, I just finished 'A Dance With Dragons'.
I really like GRRM's story telling and do not want to take anything away from how much I like 'A Song of Fire and Ice', but the last two books are a bit Jordanesque.
It's a real bummer to think it will be 4-5 years before the next book. :cry2:
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:06 am

I'd really like to read this series.. it has a lot of fans! Perhaps I'll have time in fall. :)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:48 am

In what way are they "Jordan-esque"? I've never read Wheel of Time or anything of his past the first 50 pages of the first book when I threw it across the room, so I can't compare.

And are you aware of the short stories of the Dunk and Egg series? Set in the Song of Ice and Fire world about 100 years prior to the main story line? You might want to seek those out.
hamlet
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)