A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby celebalqua » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:18 am

Rose they are a wonderful read, GRRM creates a wonderful and complicated world. But beware they are majorly addictive!

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Dunthule » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:40 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:I'd really like to read this series.. it has a lot of fans! Perhaps I'll have time in fall. :)

I highly recommend the books RMS. :) It's been a very long time since a series kept my interest. :)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:26 am

Dunthule wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote:I'd really like to read this series.. it has a lot of fans! Perhaps I'll have time in fall. :)

I highly recommend the books RMS. :) It's been a very long time since a series kept my interest. :)

Yeah, the only problem is getting to the end of the 5th book, and then spending the next few years chomping at the bit shouting at the author to throw you a bone. Martin's fans are, to put it nicely, impatient.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:00 am

Well, I haven't started reading them yet.. so maybe I can pace myself (not that I've ever been able to do that before!) But I do recall a similar situation with Jean Auel's books. I think she ran into some legal hassle and the last book forever to come out.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:31 am

Yeah, problem is, after the 6th book, there's a planned 7th. And the lingering possibility that 7 can turn into 8 awfully easy.

Another problem with the books is that, if you like them, they'll effectively spoil a lot of other fantasy literature for you. Makes it tough to read the other stuff after you've gone through Song of Ice and Fire, actually. And I find myself re-reading the series far too often and I have to, right now, conciously force myself not to pick up the first book for . . . the 5th? . . . time.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Denethor » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:58 am

hamlet wrote:Yeah, problem is, after the 6th book, there's a planned 7th. And the lingering possibility that 7 can turn into 8 awfully easy.

It doesn't help that the pacing has bogged down either: recall the endless bloated chapters in ADWD where Tyrion drifts down the river and Daenerys procrastinates.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:40 am

Denethor wrote:
hamlet wrote:Yeah, problem is, after the 6th book, there's a planned 7th. And the lingering possibility that 7 can turn into 8 awfully easy.

It doesn't help that the pacing has bogged down either: recall the endless bloated chapters in ADWD where Tyrion drifts down the river and Daenerys procrastinates.

*shrug*

They didn't actually bother me. Very much in the tradition of the genre, actually. And Dany's chapters might have been loaded with procrastination, but that is, I would argue, a lot of the point with her. The book (combined with what you remember from book 2) is really about three different people and three different styles of rule and their shortcomings and their strengths.

I'll say no more so as not to spoil it for those who have not read yet.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Jaeniver » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:12 am

Half way through dance of dragons and wow! absolutely loving the drama.
can't wait to read how this story ends, this part at least. Hopefully book 7 will come soon but not likely ;)
On the road again with Kaya in Crossroads

Ae ú-esteliach nad...estelio han. Estelio ammen.
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

Postby Dunthule » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:21 am

I think we will be waiting 3-5 years for books 6&7.
Something to look forward to though! 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby vincent » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 pm

I was not a fan of book 5, I think the pacing was wrong, the story too complicated, too many new characters, and the end made me want to throw the book down and not read the next one. But that's just my opinion. lol
vincent
Ranger of the North

Postby Denethor » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Dunthule wrote:I think we will be waiting 3-5 years for books 6&7.

Optimist!
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:20 am

Denethor wrote:
Dunthule wrote:I think we will be waiting 3-5 years for books 6&7.

Optimist!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:06 am

Anyone know when Dances with Dragons comes out on Mass Market paper? Or is my "copy" doomed to be forever stuck on my defunct e-reader?
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Ashke Verasca » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:40 am

With Tolkien's books and Pratchett's books, A Song of Ice and Fire is by far my favourite book series. I adore almost all characters, cheer on the name Greyjoy and Bolton and support Cersei ;) I even plan to get dressed as Daenerys in the future, just need lose some weight ^^

It started in 2005 when someone told me on the internet that ASoIaF is really great reading. I have read Game of Thrones in two days and it was really something because then I was reading even smaller books in one week.
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby Dunthule » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:42 am

Hey, from what I found on the web, the next book is due in 2014. (Winds of Winter)
Has anyone seen anything that has a later time for the books' release?
Here's hoping to 2014 ( and early 2014 to boot :D )
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby krawler » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:36 am

I find that the most reliable source for news on the books is Martin's own blog, and he hasn't mentioned anything about a release date for Winds of Winter. He's working on it, of course, but he also has a bunch of other projects on his plate. Frankly, given the space of time that it took him to write Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons, I highly doubt the next book will be done by the end of 2014.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:43 am

Thanks Krawler.
Given the work he is doing with HBO for GoT and who knows what else, you are unfortunately most likely correct. :(
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby MeadowForest » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:28 am

Ashke Verasca wrote:I adore almost all characters, cheer ... Bolton and support Cersei ;) ^^

Gasp! You rotter! :o

Such a nuisance that we have to wait so long for the next few books. However, I would hate for him to feel rushed and therefore potentially spoil the outcome; so I suppose do take the necessary time you need, George! :D
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Re:

Postby Lysandros » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:19 am

Denethor wrote:

My thoughts exactly D. While reading ADWD I kept seeing the Monty Python- Quest for the Holy Grail army standing in the field bellowing "Get on with it!!!" Apart from those two examples, I was particularly annoyed that several chapters were wasted on the Quentyn Martell plot that went absolutely no where. Expecting the same with this new John Conington - New Targaryen plot.

Love the books but the law of diminishing returns is creeping in. Nothing happens for hundreds of pages. The bump offs of major characters are no longer exciting or even surprising and things are just getting overwrought. The terrific writing and interesting major characters (all of which are Lannisters and whatever happened to Littlefinger) will keep me reading the next book if I don't die of old age or pretension first.
Lysandros
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:49 am

And those are exactly my feelings, Master Archer. Only recently read through all available books and thought the last one would have been in dire need of a good lector/editor. But I guess that once you've made your name like that, the publisher is loath to brandish the red pencil - and of course happy to extend the work for as many books as possible ... :roll:

Oh, btw, Lysandros: :hug: :D
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby solicitr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:57 am

Not just Vol 5- the long, long, long sections of aimless derping around go back to at least Book 3. My personal favorite bit is the fact that eventually nearly everybody winds up wandering into the same (nameless) tavern at the ford, where generally always people (including the proprietor) get killed- but within weeks or months another sucker is making a go at running the Cursed Inn of Death.

(And why would an inn at such a major high-traffic spot not have a name?)
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:06 am

I came to 400th page of GoT and since then I resigned. Already so many losses :( this might not be my cuppa tea
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Canamarth » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:13 am

solicitr wrote:(And why would an inn at such a major high-traffic spot not have a name?)

You gave the answer yourself. Just before the new 'owners' can come up with a name, they are killed. :D
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:54 am

I finally managed to read Book 1.

Well, I can say GRRM is most certainly an excellent world-builder and can create complex characters and plotlines.
But as a writer he is very mediocre.
I think if he had just originated the plot and idea and let someone else (qualified) write for him, it would have been a much better book.

I disliked the character-perspective-chapter format. There are very few characters I like (and one of them gets killed), and to read the less liked character POV is just irritating (and one can't ignore it for they'd miss some important plot point).

I finished book 1. I might give the rest of the books a try someday. Right now, I really do not feel an urge to continue.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:13 am

I get where you're coming from, siddharth. But if you read on, you will discover that some of the characters portrayed as pretty evil actually had very good reasons for what they were doing and don't look so bad when seen from a different angle. That's the beauty of the whole perspectives concept - and what I actually found one of the most fascinating aspects of the whole series.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby The Nameless Thing » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:46 pm

Anyone hear news/rumors on a publication date of the next book?
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby basti255 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:17 am

The Nameless Thing wrote:Anyone hear news/rumors on a publication date of the next book?

It still remains a mystery. I know you can write on command, but still, Martin is sure taking his time :p.
basti255
Petitioner to the Council

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:48 pm

I know that GRRM met with his publishers in NY when he was there a few weeks ago. The GoT crowds are growing more restless than ever for book 6....I admit to being one of them. On the other hand, now that the show and book are ABOUT even, it is kinda nice watching the show not knowing what the heck is going to happen.

More than that, I worry for the health of GRRM. He is older than I am and in horrid physical condition. I don't wish anything bad on the man, but it wouldn't be the first time an author couldn't finish a work. Also I worry about ME lasting. :(

The thing I like the most about GRRM and his style of writing is that he will always do the unpredictable and he will wrench your emotions from one end of the spectrum to the other and leave you mouth agape wondering what just happened. That is rare. He is also very big on having character arcs that suffer from the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" syndrome. Makes me want to pull out my hair in pure joy for the anxiety of it all. Ya gotta get engaged when reading a book series like this. It was easy for me and if #6 doesn't come out soon, I will be FORCED to re-read it for the 4th time.

hamlet. Let's start a reading session together online. ;)

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby hamlet » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:09 am

rwhen wrote:hamlet. Let's start a reading session together online. ;)

Would love to, but as of right now, I get about 20 minutes of free time per day not devoted to my 5 hours of sleep per night. Reading is a huge luxury to me at the moment and I'm currently about 2/3 through with Jim Butcher's latest little adventure novel, which isn't half bad if only because it's given me ideas for a gaming campaign.

And yeah, I get worried that GRRM will not survive long enough to finish the series, but then, I might not survive long enough to read it. So we're about even on that score.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby The Nameless Thing » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:46 am

From what I am seeing in the various trade journals, HBO is pushing back the next season 6-10 weeks. The speculation being that GRRM will be releasing the Winds of Winter in March or April which will allow the book to be on the shelves well before the next season.
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)