A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby Fell-Strom » Fri May 27, 2011 8:18 am

Just a quick one to say that I can't wait for Dance to come out and I'm busy enjoying the HBO series in the mean time. Just hope the subsequent books come out a bit quicker and that the TV series doesn't get cancelled after two or three seasons (Season two is already in production as far as I know)
Fell-Strom
Citizen of Imladris

Postby TreeMos » Fri May 27, 2011 12:04 pm

I started my 4th re-read as well shortly after the July DwD date was given back in March. I don't have the time to sit down and read through books hours at a time like I used to so I'm only half-way though book 3 at the moment. But the pace seems just about right to get me to the end of book 4 just before book 5 arrives.

The series hasn't lost any of its allure on repeated readings. And this time around I also get to imagine how certain scenes will look once (or if) they appear on the HBO version.

Frelga, let us know what you think once you get a bit further into the book. I suspect most people get hooked after the 8th chapter. And if you still aren't feeling any love for the book by chapter 20 or so then it might just not be your cup of tea. Most people find certain character's viewpoints and therefore their chapters to be more enjoyable then others. But like Hamlet I'll refrain from listing my favorites because one of the great things about the book is how it changes your perceptions of certain characters as the story progresses.
TreeMos
Rider of the Mark

Postby SilverScribe » Fri May 27, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm looking at a re-read once Dances comes out as well, with the added treat that I didn't read Feast of Crows when it came out. I think I already had a couple of other series on the go and my brain just could not remember Martin's characters clearly enough.

I've seen a couple of trailers for the HBO series and I had to laugh when I saw Sean Bean was cast as Eddard Stark. Poor Sean, he just can't seem to get away from the herioc figure that gets into trouble ;) early on, can he? :P:D

Does anyone know if the HBO series will be made available on DVD or Blue Ray? I'm thinking this would be a fantastic series to own . . .

:D:D:D
Last edited by SilverScribe on Sat May 28, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby TreeMos » Fri May 27, 2011 5:41 pm

I can pretty much guarantee it will be out on Blue Ray/DVD at some point. Shortly before season 2 starts I'd guess. Has HBO ever NOT produced one for one of their TV series? I doubt it. And besides, they'll want the extra profits from those disks to help justify and pay for additional seasons.
Last edited by TreeMos on Sun May 29, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TreeMos
Rider of the Mark

Postby Frelga » Sat May 28, 2011 9:32 am

Too late for me! * tragic sigh *
;)
Although it did get foreshadowed pretty strongly so it's not as much of a surprise.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby SilverScribe » Sat May 28, 2011 7:13 pm

Oooops, my bad. :blush: I edited anyway . . . just in case another newbie to the series wanders by . . . :whistle:

SilverScribe

Postby Frelga » Sat May 28, 2011 7:53 pm

No worries on my behalf, Scribbles. :hihi: And I seem to be the last person on the planet who has not read it yet.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby hamlet » Tue May 31, 2011 6:07 am

I'm slightly ashamed to admit I just picked up the books again for my . . . 5th? . . . readthrough pending the release of Dance With Dragons. Actually a little startled about how much is in it that I either forgot about, or simply missed the first few times through.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Gollum Girl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Círdan wrote:I found it to be as much of a gripping tale as anything I've ever read. I consumed the three current book in about a month and couldn't put it down for anything. What Martin has done is revive the epic fantasy genre with a new way of writing it. He takes no special treatment with anyone, there is no prophetic hero and evil Overlord battling each other for the world. It's a very simple tale in that its complexities don't confuse you, the subplots take you places you actually want to go. I think what interests me most about the books is the political play involved. I absolutely love politics in fantasy books and is the only reason I'm still read WOT. I think many have given better reasons for loving the Song of Ice and Fire series, Amazon is a good example; all those comments!

I couldn't have said it better myself, Círdan. It's so orginal and...simple... somehow. :wink:
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby celebalqua » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:20 am

I fell in love with this series and then swore never, never, never to start a series again if it hadn't been finished. It's been a long wait for DwD.

Cel

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby earendil81 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Frelga wrote:No worries on my behalf, Scribbles. :hihi: And I seem to be the last person on the planet who has not read it yet.

I am actually reading it for the first time.

I picked it up when a colleague of mine mentioned that Sean Bean was cast as the lead character in the 1st season, he knowing I am a big fan.
Because HBO is not in the channels that we have with our subscription for some reason, I purchased the first book and was reading the book at the rhythm of the series so that we could talk about series vs book on Tuesdays :lol:.
He will lend me the series and I shall lend him the books good exchange, although I am now in the middle of volume 2 (I am pacing myself otherwise I'd be done in 3 days :roll:)
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby celebalqua » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:08 pm

earendil81 wrote: I am now in the middle of volume 2 (I am pacing myself otherwise I'd be done in 3 days :roll:)

I am reading them again, but just can't pace myself at all. Want more, more more, ha.. ha.. ha.. ha.. ha.. ha!

celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby hamlet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:39 am

I'm in the middle of reading volume 2 again, and now arguing with myself incessantly about whether I want to continue on re-reading the series, or just grab Dance with Dragons the second it appears in my mailbox tomorrow night.

Oh the idiotic problems of a fantasy novel reader . . .
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby earendil81 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:57 am

I did/do not want to find spoilers so I haven't read the entire thread.

But this has been driving me nuts for a while; I don't know if an answer is given to this, but since 1/4 way into volume 1 I have been asking myself this question (wish we had spoiler banners)

Could Jon Snow actually be the child of Lyanna and Rhaegar and Ned Stark's incessant memory of his sister requiring a promise from him be her dying wish that he should raise the child as his own without ever telling of her shame/ordeal/nightmare?

I don't want to know whether I am right or totally off track, but I would love to know if it is revealed at one point.

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby hamlet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:01 am

earendil81 wrote:I did/do not want to find spoilers so I haven't read the entire thread.

But this has been driving me nuts for a while; I don't know if an answer is given to this, but since 1/4 way into volume 1 I have been asking myself this question (wish we had spoiler banners)

Could Jon Snow actually be the child of Lyanna and Rhaegar and Ned Stark's incessant memory of his sister requiring a promise from him be her dying wish that he should raise the child as his own without ever telling of her shame/ordeal/nightmare?

I don't want to know whether I am right or totally off track, but I would love to know if it is revealed at one point.

Do you really want to start that discussion?

That is, actually, one of the most popular theories going around the fandom right now. Actually, since the beginning.

No, we don't know, but we strongly STRONGLY suspect given tidbits from book 2 and 3. I will not ennumerate those tidbits here since they are MASSIVE spoilers if you haven't read that far yet.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby earendil81 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:53 am

hamlet, I am new to this book so it's interesting to know that question has been raised and discussed for a while.
It drove me nuts that Stark dies before he reveals anything :roll: :P :P :P :lol: ...
(I am forced to admit I have an addictive persona)

And this is going from bad to worse I have a very bad feeling about Robb's life expectancy.
Just arrived at that point in the second volume where for some reason I think Jaime Lannister is not as evil as the first book had us think. Well at least there seems to be a door to redemption here if I may say.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby hamlet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:02 pm

earendil81 wrote:hamlet, I am new to this book so it's interesting to know that question has been raised and discussed for a while.
It drove me nuts that Stark dies before he reveals anything :roll: :P :P :P :lol: ...

And this is going from bad to worse I have a very bad feeling about Robb's life expectancy.
Just arrived at that point in the second volume where for some reason I think Jaime Lannister is not as evil as the first book had us think. Well at least there seems to be a door to redemption here if I may say.

You're going to need a hug soon. You really are.

And remember, there's at least one other person still alive who actually knows what happened at the Tower of Joy and knows "the secret." And that's Howland Reed. He's still around, and he's essentially just sitting there waiting for his cue.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby celebalqua » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:03 pm

hamlet wrote:I'm in the middle of reading volume 2 again, and now arguing with myself incessantly about whether I want to continue on re-reading the series, or just grab Dance with Dragons the second it appears in my mailbox tomorrow night.

Oh the idiotic problems of a fantasy novel reader . . .

Same

celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby earendil81 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:18 pm

hamlet wrote:
earendil81 wrote:hamlet, I am new to this book so it's interesting to know that question has been raised and discussed for a while.

You're going to need a hug soon. You really are.

And remember, there's at least one other person still alive who actually knows what happened at the Tower of Joy and knows "the secret." And that's Howland Reed. He's still around, and he's essentially just sitting there waiting for his cue.

ok so you seem to be confirming my worst expectation... and I shall be waiting for the answer to the question ;) ;). as patiently as I can.

it was a relief to realize that Theon had not killed the boys... but it is going to bite other characters in the butt.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Unwin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Dang... I better visit the Books forum more often. Didn't hear about this series till the HBO series came out. And actually season 1 ended.

So now, the question is... Should I still read the books or am I now spoiled?
Unwin
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:31 am

Unwin wrote:Dang... I better visit the Books forum more often. Didn't hear about this series till the HBO series came out. And actually season 1 ended.

Read that books.

The gulf in quality between the show and the books is vast. The amount of material simply left out is tremendous.

The books are very good.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Unwin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:04 am

hamlet wrote:
Unwin wrote:Dang... I better visit the Books forum more often. Didn't hear about this series till the HBO series came out. And actually season 1 ended.

Read that books.

The gulf in quality between the show and the books is vast. The amount of material simply left out is tremendous.

The books are very good.

Thanks! Looking for a copy now.
Unwin
Ranger of the North

Postby The Heretic » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Hamlet, do you think readers are intended to feel sorry for Theon?
The Heretic
Rider of the Mark

Postby hamlet » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:45 am

The Heretic wrote:Hamlet, do you think readers are intended to feel sorry for Theon?

That's an overly simple question that I can't answer without posting paragraph upon paragraph of spoiler material that would probably ruin the reading experiences of most people who haven't read the books yet.

Short answer: you're not "supposed" to feel one way or any other about Theon. The characters in these books aren't cyphers for concepts, heroes, villains, or anything else. They're people. You feel about them as you feel about them and you're not intended to feel about them any particular way.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:34 am

Boy, all the back and forthing going on in this thread really makes me itchy to re-read this series again.

But I'm going to hold off until the paperback version of Dances with Dragons comes out, at the very least.

If there's another book in the offing after that, I may wait yet again. There's just too many characters, involved in too many webs of intrigue, going in too many directions. Trying to remember and track all of it while reading is hard enough, but even worse after a long gap between one book and the next. ;)

SilverScribe

Postby The_Angel » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Barring any upsets, Dance is to the be the fifth book of seven. The provisional titles of books six and seven are The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

Originally I believe Winds was meant to be the direct follow on from Swords, after a five year gap but with some key events told in flashback, that plan was abandoned, however and first one stopgap novel, Feast, was announced, and then a second.

Rather irritating when the gap between your two "stopgap" novels is 6 years.
The_Angel
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks for the info update Angel :thumbsup: I just haven't had time to do any real looking at all the GRR Martin news . . . :D

I'll probably pick up the books as they become available and wait until the last one before going back to reread the first ones and dive into the last ones.

No big deal. I bought Feast of Crows but never even cracked the cover because I knew Dance was coming, but would be a longer wait than my poor old swiss cheese memory could handle. ;)

SilverScribe

Postby earendil81 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:20 pm

I am reading this at a dreaded slow pace...
So many things are happening that I am having a hard time; and I also try to discipline myself not to read more than 2 chapters at a time :P :P...

So I am still at volume 3...

What I find interesting about this book is that I am not being told what I should feel about the characters. It sort of comes that way and the one character I find it the most annoying for is Tirion.
Everything about him and his calculating mind makes me want to despise him and yet I can't entirely get there and that bugs me a lot.
I am usually the first to say that a character that has dimension is the best (I loved the HP 7 just for the fact that Dumbledore was finally no longer perfect), but for some reasons I am disturbed by this one :P :P

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby hamlet » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:09 am

Interesting since Tyrion is broadly recognized as many fans' favorite character.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby earendil81 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:54 pm

hamlet wrote:Interesting since Tyrion is broadly recognized as many fans' favorite character.

And I can see why because he has so many layers from the get go, which makes him a very interesting character... Unlike Jaime who seemed to be the villain with his sister and there is almost no place for redemption for either of them (at least in the first book).

Tyrion seems to be just as despicable as them and yet not quite. That bugs me because in a way - and that's based on the fact that I am not even halfway though vol 3 - I have this feeling that he is worse than his brother. Unlike his brother who is a fighter and seems to be doing things out of sheer instinct (or love for Cersei) without much thinking, he thinks everything through. He is calculating and there is no choice that he makes that does not have some agenda... I know that him being despised by his family and everybody else should make me feel empathetic. Not his fault he was born a dwarf; but there is something about him that tells me he is using this as a banner to defend and justify his actions. And so while I cannot bring myself to despise him, I really cannot like him.
Not sure it makes sense.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light