Favourite fictional world

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby Nár » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:39 am

In terms of depth, complexity and attention to details - geography, mythology, races, etc. - I honestly think J.R.R. 's Middle Earth has no rivals. I mean, just think about how many authors, books, movies and games have shamelessly ripped it off throughout the years!
Nár
Ranger of the North

Postby PirateLord10 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:53 pm

MithLuin: I too would go just for the lightsabers ... and to see if I had the force =P
PirateLord10
Citizen of Imladris

Postby PirateLord10 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:55 pm

. . . and I can't believe I forgot Neverland!!
PirateLord10
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Elmtree » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:33 pm

Middle Earth has been my favorite since I was 8 years old ( a long time ago!)
Narnia is my second. In part because I read those books first when I was so young, and would go "play" in those worlds, they will always have the top spot in my heart.

I do find the world(s) in Amber intriguing! I'd probably walk into all the wrong shadows, though:)
I love the Potterverse and would love to spend a term or two at Hogwarts! At my age I'd have to get a job as a janitor, though. Or teach Muggle Studies.

There are other books that lead to "worlds" that intrigued me... one was a children's book called "The Swing in the Summerhouse" and another was "The Knight's Castle" by Edward Eager (fulfilled my childhood dream of building a world out of soap bottles and upside down drinking glasses and little toy soldiers and matchbox cars and knights... and then finding it all became REAL)

I'll have to think some more... and remember more that I've read... I tend to notice characters and relationships more than places.. the first two on my list did make an impression as to place... other books not so much.

-edit-
Oh, I forgot another place that won my heart when I was a child... Meer. From "The Moons of Meer" (Although I was equally as intrigued by Arizona, which was the place from which the children entered Meer. Arizona seemed awfully cool to a NE US person like me.)
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Novice » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:16 pm

Other than Middle Earth (and more precisely, I'd like to explore Lorien that was, and the southern regions - Umbar and Harad have always intrigued me!), Frank Herbert's world is absolutely vivid, so well-conceived and detailed - always wanted to see Arrakis, the desert planet, and lush, moist Caladan though I could give Geidi Prime a miss.

I was also captured by the mythical world (earth) described by William Morris in The Well at the World's End, published in 1896 and probably the first English fantasy novel in history. I read it when I was about 15 and I found the language difficult, opaque, and when reading it I felt constantly like a great vista with golden light was just around the next bend if i could only reach around, strain up to my toes...yet the world of the book haunted me for years. There was such yearning. I wonder whether I would like it if I read it now?

Terry Pratchett's discworld and multiverse are very funny! Not sure I really want to go there though...seem a little too anarchic for me! :D

The Star Wars universe would be wild! Yeah, that would be very cool, especially after all the bad guys went down.
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby basil » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:02 am

PirateLord10 wrote:MithLuin: I too would go just for the lightsabers ... and to see if I had the force =P

Now if that were me, I would soon be losing bits and pieces of ME!

Such a klutz!

:cry2:

;.;.;.;.;.;.;
basil
Mariner

Postby §ol » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:32 pm

Man. It's always borderline disturbing to see my older opinions in gravedug threads.

Anyway, in terms of scope and history, I find that the world in Malazan Book of the Fallen is the only one I've read recently which begins to touch on the scope of Lord of the Rings. In terms of variance of its cultures, it actually does surpass it and is more interesting, but it doesn't quite reach the level for detailed history.
§ol
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:17 pm

tackles Sol to the virtual ground

You are SUCH a lurker!!! ;)

Miss ya!!
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Elmtree » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:33 pm

I picked up a book of author interviews at the Library yesterday (and I don't have it handy, or I'd post the title... LeGuin, Lloyd Alexander, L'Engle, Susan Cooper, etc... good stuff) and I was reminded of some of the LeGuin I've read. It's been ages since I read Earthsea, but that was an interesting world. The LeGuin world I liked best, though, was in a book of loosely connected short stories she wrote called "Changing Planes". From an airport, you could go to all these other worlds, while waiting to change planes. :) Some of her worlds were really interesting. I strongly recommend the book. It's written as though it's a sort of travel guide. And it made me want to travel to some of those worlds.

I also read some of Simon Green's "Nightside" books... the books are not 'great literature' but they are fun, and world is pretty cool. I think I'd like to visit the nightside (with adequate protection).
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Gungnir » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:38 am

My faves have to be...

Middle-Earth (obviously)
Dune (the only one to rank alongside Middle-Earth for me)
Larry Niven's Ringworld
The Potterverse
Star Trek
Star Wars
and finally I can't believe no-one's mentioned Barsoom! Wait until the Pixar adaptation of John Carter of Mars comes out, then it will be a different story.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Novice » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:11 pm

Burroughs' Mars is an interesting place but I guess I read those books too late (as an adult) and therefore was too distracted by the outlandishness of his characterisations to adequately suspend disbelief and really get into that world. Very entertaining but the persistent "heroism" of his heroes became too much for me. :)

Wish I'd read them as a teenager!

So Pixar has the rights?! Wow! That is very cool! I look forward to that very much!
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:58 am

Ah well Novice, well I read the first John Carter book at the age of seven - the first proper novel I read (apart from maybe 20,000 Leagues under the Sea) so perhaps that's why I enjoyed the books so much (and still did when I re-read them a year or two ago).

Yes, the heroes are VERY heroic, no shading or complexity, but that's more to do with when they were written, I suppose. I think one of the things that drew me in was the fact that ERB had devised (at least the rudiments of) a
Martian Language, had a history and map of the world all devised, etc. My first geek-out, before I discovered Tolkien (and Star Trek, etc).
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:53 am

Middle Earth is my first love, ever since my mother shoved it into my hands at the age of 13 and threatened me with death (or severe inconvenience) if I did not read it. Its more than the story of course- as I'm sure it has been afor-mentioned on this thread already- it was the sheer volume of good history and background that Tolkien poured into Middle Earth. If you have only read the trilogy than you have only just begun to scratch the surface.

Anyway, but aside from that, I'd have to say that my favorite other world is C. S. Lewis's Malacandra from his book Out of The Silent Planet. Its just very colorful, well thought, and peaceful. Also his Narnia fits sort of the same feel, and also posses a sizable amount of history.

As much as I like to think I'd love to inhabit some of the more exciting kind of old worlds (eg: Sword of Truth, Wheel of Time, Belgardia, Earthsea, and even Middle Earth) I just can't help thinking that I really like plumbing and internet and cars and don't miss the impending doom of orc invasions or, marauders from the sea, or Ael pouring over the Spine of the World. :P

~Quill
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby Gungnir » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:15 am

Oh, I forgot one - J.P. Martin's "Uncle" books, with Homeward and Badfort, Badgertown, Owl Springs, etc. - top notch stuff.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:17 am

I thought of another one. "Darkover," by Marion Zimmer Bradley, with help from a lot of other people, writing in that Universe.

The geography of the place is screwy, but the ideas of organization of society, what to do about women, the nature of unusual mental abilities and even a sense of history and how a stranded high-tech ship could lead to a very different kind of society, were fascinating.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Culwen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Middle Earth
Pern
Narnia
Mars (of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy)
Culwen
Shield Bearer

Postby K.Evenstar » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:13 pm

The world in Julia Gray's "Guardian" books, though I can't remember if it had a name. As well as, of course, Middle Earth, Narnia and Discworld.
K.Evenstar
Ranger of the North

Postby Green Dragon » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:38 am

Narnia
Middle Earth
Mossflower woods
Terabinthia
Star Trek Universe
and Gotham City
Green Dragon
Shield Bearer

Previous