Your Favorite Children's Books

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby portia » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:46 pm

I like the "Wizard of Oz" idea, a lot. There are not illustrations that are so famous that they occupy everyone's imaginations, and the images are common enough to avoid copyright issues.(Witches, scarecrows, Lions, medium-sized girls, trees, a fanciful, green city.)

Hmmmmm.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:59 am

portia, the Wizard of Oz would be fun to do.. and you could use the wording 'There's no place like home'.. I don't think that is copyrighted.

RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby tony789 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:59 am

I've never heard of that one.
tony789
Citizen of Imladris

Postby themili » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:12 am

I can't resist bringing up one of my absolute Finnish writer of children's books, Timo Parvela, and his Ella series.

I quote here an extract pointing out the series. The text is from an article about Timo Parvela at www.finlit.fi:

Parvela (born 1964) has received a particularly enthusiastic response to his Ella series for primary school-aged readers. The series tells the adventures of second-grader Ella and companions, including Pate, the headteacher's son who's fond of disguises, Tuukka, the young genius, Samppa, the copious weeper, and the pugnacious Buster. The gang of kids means well, but somehow, through misunderstandings, things always end in chaos.

The most wonderful thing in the series is that many of the stories include themes of people and phenomenons of the contemporary world and especially things going on in Finland, all shown from the perspective of eight-year-olds. It's awesome, the author has caught it realistically but with loads of humor. :)
themili
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Portia that will be a cute piece of furniture when you are finished.

Now you do realize that you could even do the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe with Mr. Tumnus, Lucy and her siblings, a lamp post and a Lion as well as any number of things from the stories too.

I love the idea of decorating children's furniture with characters from great literature for children! Very cool idea!

Mt favorite children's books would have to be The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit, Inkheart, The Dragon Rider and a few others.

I did not read a lot till I read The Hobbit then I took off reading. So I did skip a lot of reading up to that point. Fantasy grabbed me and never let go. :D
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:35 am

Is the question "then" or "now"?

When I was a child, I read acres of comic books. I also read many stories, most of which I've forgotten, but I did read and enjoy Bambi, The Wind in the Willows, Just So Stories (my fave!), Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, 101 Dalmatians, the Uncle Remus stories, and I can't remember what else till I got to junior high, when I read Pollyanna and Little Women. And I read a lot of forgettable popular stories too. Besides that, I was into Arthurian and Robin Hood tales, and I discovered Greek mythology at about age 11. I read A Christmas Carol when I was pretty young, besides seeing it on TV, and that started a lifelong love for Dickens. And I was reading poetry; when I was in college I'd raise the hair on some of my English-department classmates by saying that Tennyson was a piece of cake because I'd been reading him since I was ten, which was the truth.

Other so-called childhood books didn't come my way till adulthood! It all started with The Hobbit and went downhill from there... :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:39 pm

When I was a child I loved the 'Uncle' books by J.P. Martin - imagine if 'Babar' had been written by Spike Milligan (or Monty Python) and illustrated by Quentin Blake.

For a taster go here - http://www.uncle-tv.com/Intro.html

They are brilliant , hilarious, subversive and surreal and written by an elderly Anglican priest in the 1960s. It's very hard to find the original books now as a mysterious collector in London buys up every copy he can find, luckily some have been reprinted. I can't recommend these highly enough.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Just found this brilliant attempt to animate the start of the first book...

http://www.uncle-tv.com/MovieB.html
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Gotta throw out George Martin's Ice Dragon here. Not great, but very good for adult kids.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 pm

1) The Dinotopia series by James Gurney :)
2) Winnie the Pooh
3) The Wind in the Willows

:D
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby LalaithUrwen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:25 pm

1) Anne of Green Gables series
2) Little House on the Prairie series
3) A Wrinkle in Time

Those are definitely my top three. Others I loved included:

The Phantom Tollbooth
    Wizard of Oz (but I liked some of the other books in the series better than the 1st)
    The rest of the L'Engle series

There are so many more I'm having a hard time thinking of any!
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:23 am

Thank you all again for the ideas. I am almost done with "The Wizard of Oz"

I went to a used furniture store and bought a small bookcase, painted a truly awful shade of dark pink, and then enough paint for two coats. I am now finished with the yellow brick road, the tin woodman, the melted witch,and partly done with Dorothy, the lion and the scarecrow. Iknow what I want to do for the Emerald City, but haven't started it.

I became ambitious and also started a small stool, for the "Half Magic" piece, which will carry the words "I wish I had a chair."

And a little box with Scotties on the ends, that I will need to look up a title for. (Greyfriars Bobby was a flop eared terrier and I can't use that).
Time is getting short and I may need to stay up all night to finish.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:25 pm

portia... I hope you post photos when you're done! If I lived closer, I'd help you! It sounds fun! :D
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby sfhdweb » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:12 am

East of the Sun, West of the Moon is the one of the best book
sfhdweb

Postby portia » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:26 pm

I finished, barely in time. I am not wild about how the Emerald City came out, so I hope I am just being too critical.

Downloading my pics is on my list, but I will have to review how I insert pictures in posts.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:09 pm

portia, I usually have to upload photos to something like Photobucket and then place the link here.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:40 am

Believe it or not, I never actually read The Wizard of Oz till adulthood. But I did know the story (as opposed to the movie) because I had a Classics Illustrated comic book of it, which was pretty true to the book, at least (as I remember) the actual number of witches, and the part about the glasses in the Emerald City.

Right now we have quite a few of the Oz books, but since the digout last year I'm not sure where they are. I haven't read most of them yet.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Gollum Girl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:31 pm

The very hungry Calipiter :)

My mother used to read that book to me all the time. However it's more of a baby book than a children's book. There's a difference.
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby AlexSnitzel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Anyone else read The Maze in the Heart of the Castle? I can't remember who wrote it. But the budding fantasy lover in me adored it. It was the first "real" book I read... ie longer than 50 pages. :P
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 am

Not in any particular order, I like:

The Phantom Tollbooth
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Wind in the Willows
Anything by E. Nesbit
Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass
The Velveteen Rabbit

I'll think of more later. I need to go.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1320/1 ... 474091.jpg

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Frelga » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:12 pm

I can't believe I haven't posted here.

And seeing Sassy's name near the top gave me a pang. :(

As anyone who knows me for any length of time (4 minutes) knows I am a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's. His books for children and young adults are as fun and thoughtful as his adult stories, but I think written with better care.

The Bromeliad Trilogy (U.S. title) - Truckers, Diggers, Wings - is the story of four-inch-tall people trying first to find a place in the human world, and then to find a home of their own. 8 and up, I'd say.

Nation - for a thoughtful preteen and up, a story of a boy named Mau, the only survivor of a tidal wave that sweeps away his island Nation, joined by an English girl of a scientific mindset who survives a shipwreck. Does not go where you think it might, dark in places, but full of light and hope.

The Johnny Maxwell trilogy, about a boy who sees things others do not.
Only You Can Save Mankind - Johnny is shooting up the aliens in his computer game. Then the aliens surrender.
Johnny and The Dead - Johnny and friends try to save a cemetery from being turned into a shopping mall, while teaching the denizens to dance to The Thriller.
Johnny and the Bomb - the best time travel story ever, where Johnny and friends go back to the WWII and the day when their town was bombed.

Set in the Discworld:

The standalone, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents is the story of the Pied Piper, where the rats are in on the sting.

The Tiffany Aching books, the story of a young witch and her friends, the pictsies (not pixies, very definitely not), tiny blue men of a vaguely Scottish persuasion.
Wee Free Men
A Hat Full of Sky
Wintersmith
I Shall Wear Midnight
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby celebalqua » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:21 am

Ok here is four for varying ages:

For the littlies ( and I love it so for grownups too)....
Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson illustrated by Axel Scheffler,

For the slightly bigger ( and definitely the grownups)
The magic pudding by Norman Lindsay

For the medium ages (and grownups like me)
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

For the slightly older ( and still me!)
Keys to the kingdom series by Garth Nix

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby frodolives668 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:14 pm

When I was little, i had this Mercer Mayor book about a kid mailing a letter. The letter was intercepted by a, quote, "stamp collecting trollusk." Don't ask me what a trollusk is i just type here. The "trollusk" was collected by some kind of "trollusk collector" and letter stolen by several neumerous fictional beasts. In the end the letter was mailed, ironically, to the originally intended recipiant: the girl next door to the original sender.

I also had the classic "Goodnight moon" in which some kind of sheep speaks to neumerous inanimate objects. Why? I don't know. I think it came from children watching too much "Beauty and the Beast." What if your child grew up thinking anything can talk? when he needed help doing his homework he'd ask the lampshade. Or better yet, his taxes.

I dug "Goodnight Moon" out the other day. I'm using it for a spoof called Goodnight Ring. "three bears on chairs" becomes "Nasgul on stools" and so on and soforth.

I, of course was never a child. Merely a short adult.
frodolives668
Rider of the Mark

Re: Your favorite Children's Books

Postby Melwa » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:55 pm

Ahh, what a lovely thread!

Scotties? Hmm, what about Wee Gillis?

Narnia and Anne of Green Gables are of course favorites. (I'll see if I can revive the thread before I start the really long list.)
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby Rachel_musicfan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:26 pm

my favorites are The Lion, the witch, and the wardrobe, The Wizard of Oz, and the Max and Rhuby series.
Rachel_musicfan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lithtaur16 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:11 pm

:)
For the little ones:
The Mitten
Where the Wild Things Are
The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush
Can't You Sleep Little Bear?
Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham and just about anything else... :P

For approximately 5th grade and up:
Marguerite Henry
Sewell
Mark Twain
Author of Where the Red Fern Grows
Kipling
Scott O'dell
Jack London
Robert Frost and Mrs. Graham

Lorlene McDaniel
C. S. Lewis
Tolkien
Lithtaur16
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Okay, this is only what I can remember NOW. Sure o come back later. :P

Age group: 5-8

Animal Farm
Alice in Wonderland
Wizard of Oz
Brothers Grimm Fairy stories
The Hobbit
The Jungle Book
All of Mark Twain
Peter Pan
The Little Prince
Stories of Robin-Hood
Darwin's Origin of Species (Okay, just kidding here ... :D )

Age group: 8-12

King Solomon's Mines ( My first ever read of a serious adventure actually <3)
Around the world in 80 days
Harry Potter
Narnia books
Dickens' A Christmas Carol
Jack London
Robinson Crusoe
Where the Red fern Grows
The Jungle Book
Frankenstein (MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!)
The Time Machine!!

On second thought, I will end up giving off most of the classics so I'll just leave it here. :P

Age Group: 13+

Lord of the Rings
Silmarillion (okay let's say it's 17+)
Unfinished Tales and whatever follows.
The Alchemist - a truly spiritual as well as adventurous journey. I think it's a classic
Hunchback of Notredame (one of my faves)
Translations of ancient epics like Illiad, Odeyssey, Mahabharata
Count of Monte Cristo
Three Musketeers. This is another gem!!! My most favourite historical fiction.
Everything Dickens.
Poems of Lord Tennyson
Diary of Anne Frank.

That's all I remember now.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby MrsDundas87 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:26 am

I have always loved reading and have probably read thousands of books. My favourites as a child would probably be

The Animals Of Farthing Wood
Anne if Green Gables
Heidi
The 'Redwall' series by Brian Jacques they were so well written and kept me captured from age 9 til I was about 16
Black Beauty
The Beach Dogs

Any Greek mythology from about age 8 til now. I still love reading about it and have started passing some of it onto my eldest son. Told him the story of he Trojan horse last week and he turned to me and said 'was that when you were a wee girl mum?' :shock:
MrsDundas87
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Eilowny » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:16 pm

My word...too many to remember.

Anne of Green Gables.
Anything Lloyd Alexander wrote.
Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom. (I went through a phase when I read anything of hers I could get my hands on, but these two are my favorites)
Every book of mythology/fairytales I could get my hands on. I read probably a half dozen versions of Robin Hood.
Redwall. I'm particularly fond of Marlfox, Mariel, Taggerung, and Triss.
A Little Princess, The Secret Garden, and The Lost Prince of Samavia.
The Lioness and Her Knight and The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf by Gerald Morris.
King of the Wind, Gaudenzia, and One Man's Horse by Maugerite Henry.
Percy Jackson books.
Narnia
Lord of the Rings, duh.
Isaac Asimov's robot stories

How's that to start a list? Too many thousands to think through!!!
Eilowny

Postby Morwenna » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:42 am

Well, of course I like Narnia, I love Pratchett's books, I can't believe I didn't mention Dr. Seuss (I definitely discovered him in grade school), and I'm a big fan of Harry Potter. But most of that I found in adulthood.

I seem to have forgotten that I did read (or hear read) several of the Beatrix Potter stories. But I never owned any.

If I were to try to list my favorites among all that, whether I read them in childhood or adulthood, it'd take me all day to sort it out. And I certainly don't feel equipped to rate them by age.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)