Your Favorite Children's Books

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Re: Your favorite Children's Books

Postby hamlet » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:12 am

Wow. Ironic that I find this thread after I collected up a bunch of my old kid's books from my mother's house before she could throw them out. I was reading them again for nostalgia.

Where the Wild Things Are
Micky and the Night Kitchen
Shel Silverstein
St. George and the Dragon

God I feel old now.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Re: Your Favorite Children's Books

Postby heliona » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm dredging this old thread up because I've been reminiscing about some of my favourite children's book.

From when I was really young, I had a book about a squirrel. The squirrel was moveable, and you fed it through slots in the pages of the books. It was called A Squirrel's Tale by Richard Fowler. It was awesome! I think I'm going to try to buy it. :D

I also had this book called The Blue Banana by Bronnie Cunningham, which was about the quest for a magic, everlasting blue banana that tasted of whatever you wanted it to. My mum informs me there was a horse called Whirlwind in it, too. :) Sadly, it doesn't seem to be availably any where, but it was a fabulous book.

I've also got a few books by a woman called Angela Sheehan. They're in what's called the Eye-View Library and they're about British animals. They go through the lifecycle of each animal, with some gorgeous illustrations. I've got The Duck, The Fox, The Bumblebee, The Frog, and The Hedgehog. There are more available on Abebooks and I have to say, I think I'm going to have to buy them, because they're lovely. :)

As for other favourites (which I still own):

Shadow the Sheepdog by Enid Blyton - one of my all-time favourite books and a lesser-known Enid Blyton book.
The Hobbit by ... do I really need to say? ;)
Swallows and Amazons and its sequels by Arthur Ransome. I love Arthur Ransome, he was a sailor and thus he writes sailing stories really well.
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Watership Down by Richard Adams

Those are a few of my favourites. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Cool thread! I have many favorite children's books, but some that I can think of were

Make Way For Ducklings by Robert McClosky and
The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:51 am

I see that I didn't mention the fairy tale books I had; I might still have one of them packed away somewhere, who knows.

And I went theough a pretty good selection of Little Golden Books and a few Whitman's which were like them; the holiday season is reminding me of them, because of a lucky find I made a few months ago. In an antique barn in my neighborhood (which is seldom open, I got lucky one day) I found a LGB of "The Night Before Christmas," and even though the cover didn't look familiar, once I opened it up I was transported back about 60 years! It was a different printing (evidenced by the cover) of one I had and loved way back then--same illustrations! I think it was slightly older than the one I had. It was in poor shape, and they sold it to me for less than a dollar. SCORE!! :D

The other was "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," possibly Whitman, which I didn't find an exact copy of; but some years ago hubby and I were in a local bookstore (no longer there, alas) and found a newly-illustrated edition. I hadn't seen the whole story since I was a kid! And no it's not the TV version. :) Yes I bought it!! :D Just to have the whole story again, even if the illos were different; and these are lovely. (If I were to find one with the original illos in it, I'd GRAB it!!)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:28 pm

I loved The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherin Paterson. That was more of a middle grade, not so much 'children's' but I really enjoyed it.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Morwenna, I know how you feel. I've been receiving through the post the other children's books that I mentioned (the Eye-View library ones). It's like Christmas has come early. :D
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Morwenna » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:32 am

I also read 101 Dalmatians back when I was 10 or 11, but not as a book: it was serialized in Woman's Day magazine as "The Great Dog Robbery." That was the only title I knew it by, till the movie (animated) came out.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Elvish Hobbit » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:34 am

I've not read too many children's books but my favorite has to be Chronicles of Narnia. The journey that starts in first book ends beautifully in the last one. I was preparing myself to cry at the end, but thankfully it all got easy and I didn't have to cry. :p
Elvish Hobbit
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Billobob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:05 pm

One of my favorite children's books was the Redwall series.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to The Books (Other Authors)