Bernard Cornwell and the Warlord Chronicles

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:11 am

AND went off with a posturing fop who wet his britches at the thought of facing Sharpe's wrath...

And OF COURSE NOT...I mean who would want to marry Sharpe? the man is a poor peasant.

:D
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:21 am

Me?
Marry a peasant :shock:

Yes Please :D

And i'd forgotten about the wet britches :lol:
But at least he died at Waterloo :twisted:
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:27 am

No accounting for taste!

:D
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:35 am

Now i'm going to have to watch some Sharpe on DVD.
Just to remind myself what the fabulous peasant looks like :whistle:

I've just finished reading a historical account of waterloo, based on extracts from soldiers diaries.
It's a great read.

Napoleonic/Penninsular war is a bit of an interest of mine. Thats how i got into Sharpe in the first place.
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:49 am

Enjoy!
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:54 am

I will :love:

*Wipes drool of of computor keyboard*
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Dave_LF » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:32 pm

I am coming off a bit of a Cornwell kick right now. My wife works at a bookstore. A few months ago she randomly brought home the fourth book in the Saxon Tales series, thinking it looked like something I might enjoy. I did, but somehow the fact that it was part of a series eluded both of us until after I'd finished it. Once I made that discovery I naturally had to read the previous three, and then re-read the fourth to make sure I understood it in light of the earlier installments.

After finishing with Saxon Tales, I figured I'd give the Arthurian series a try since I'd heard good things about it. My wife read the back of Harlequin, saw the bit about a grail quest, assumed it must be about King Arthur, and brought it home. Oops. But I'm not one to turn down an interesting looking book, so I read that whole series next. Not nearly as good as Saxon Tales, IMO, though the final one was alright.

After that, I finally managed to get ahold of the actual Warlord Chronicles. Cornwell considers it his finest writing and I see no reason to disagree.

I haven't tried any of the Sharpe books.

Point of interest: My son's middle name is Arthur. He isn't strictly named after King Arthur (though it's a nifty tie-in), but both my wife and I were in the middle of reading the Warlord Chronicles when he was born, and the name probably wouldn't have stood out if that hadn't been the case. So we have Bernard to thank for that.
Dave_LF
Mariner

Postby Mithfânion » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Cornwell just published a standalone novel called Agincourt, for anyone looking for new stuff.

He's got 4 books out in his Saxon series and a 5th one is due this October.

I've really enjoyed the Warlord trilogy, very good even if I had some niggles. It's supposed to be his best work though. The Last Kingdom is the next Cornwell I'm likely to read.
Mithfânion
Ringbearer

Postby THORIN_CLAYHELM » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:19 pm

I'm pretty sure agincourt is the start of a new series, hope so!
THORIN_CLAYHELM
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:03 pm

I will look out for it but i still havn't found one that i like as much as Sharpe.
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:56 pm

BUMP!

I've just started the harlequin series.
It follows in the best traditions of Sharpe and is very entertaining.
So far i love it.
I only have the first two books in the trilogy so far but am struggling to get the third one.
I will keep trying 'cause i am hooked enough to need to know how it ends.

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:45 am

You are reading the same series I am right now, Tarethiel! However, I read all three of them once before a few years ago. Lately I have been reading up on Joan of Arc and the Hundred Year's War, and doing so wet my appetite for this particular series once again. IMO, these three novels are among the very best of Cornwell's output - especially Heretic, the last of the three. Do whatever you need to do to find a copy of it at your local library. I would think that they should surely have it there :)
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:29 am

Hi Celebrimbor.
Always nice to meet another Cornwell reader.

I managed to finish Harlequin last night.
I shall start Vagabond later on.
Next time i go shopping i will have to trawl through the second hand book shops to see if they have a copy of heretic.

I really like the series so far.
Thomas is a great hero and the story works well but i wish that one of Cornwells heros would manage to get through a whole book without having a string of disasterous or tragic love affairs :|

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:24 am

Greetings Tarethiel. Have you had a chance to read Agincourt yet? Since you enjoy the Grail Quest series I think you will like that one as well. It is set in the same time period (though slightly later, I think), during the Hundred Year's War. I liked it quite a bit, though I thought the main protagonist, a certain William Hook, was practically a carbon copy of Thomas of Hookton. I almost wonder if Cornwell wrote this novel in a bit of a hurry. Since this book is practically brand new it should be easy for you to find.

I really like the series so far.
Thomas is a great hero and the story works well but i wish that one of Cornwells heros would manage to get through a whole book without having a string of disasterous or tragic love affairs

Yeah, they do tend to unfold that way, don't they. Personally, I am waiting for Cornwell to write another book with a female protagonist for a change. He hasn't done so in over twenty-five years now. In fact, as far as I know, the only such novels he wrote with a female lead character was his two Campion stories, A Crowning Mercy and Fallen Angels - both of which are wonderful. I highly recommend them :)
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:36 am

Currently reading Cornwell's "The Last Kingdom." As my first foray into Cornwell's work, I am enjoying it immensely thus far.

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby tarathiel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:04 pm

I've never heard of that series Celebrimbor.

I've just started Vagabond. So far so good but i don't think the young wife will servive the series.
Based on all the other books at least one love interest dies per book :|

Never tried The Last Kingdom GandalfsMother.
Would you recomend it so far?

Nothing on TV tonight so may put a Sharpe DVD on and have a bit of a Bean/Sharpe swoon. :wink:

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Never tried The Last Kingdom GandalfsMother.
Would you recomend it so far?

I'm about 1/4 of the way in, and I would say YES, unequivocally.

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 am

Yes, GM is quite right. The Last Kingdom is well worth a read, as are the other books in the Saxon series. So far I have read them all except for the one that is coming out soon (ie. The Burning Land)

I've just started Vagabond. So far so good but i don't think the young wife will servive the series.
Based on all the other books at least one love interest dies per book

:whistle: However, without giving anything away to you, I will tell you that Vagabond has one super-fantastic scene somewhere in the middle of it that involves Thomas and the Dominican friar/inquisitor. I would even say that it is one Cornwell's most dramatic scenes. Very well-written indeed!

I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of the two Campion (name of the female lead character) novels. For some reason they don't get as much recognition as many of his other works. This is a pity, as both A Crowning Mercy and Fallen Angels are unique. For one thing they were co-authored by Bernard Cornwell as Susanna Pell (his wife). But more notable is the fact that they are rare examples in Cornwell's works of his ability to write a skilled piece of historical fiction without all of the excessive blood and violence, which often runs rampant in Cornwell. The first book is set during the English Civil War (c.1640's) and the second one is during the French Revolution. I wonder if anyone else out there has read these two books? Give them a try when you get the chance, Tarethiel :)
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 am

I'll look out for them next time i'm trawling a second hand book shop :)
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Re: Bernard Cornwell and the Warlord Chronicles

Postby tarathiel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 am

Bump :D

This is the thread Meadowforest.
Hope it helps

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby MeadowForest » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:30 am

^ Thanks! I did honestly try and search another - it just came up with posts that mentioned his name in rather than a thread! Anyway, I'm going to just paste my original post here so it merges and I can check back what I said, etc. Would it be possible for someone to delete the other thread, please?

Postby MeadowForest » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:31 pm

In recent years I've started reading some of his novels. Which novels have people preferred and would you recommend any in particular? Is Sharpe good enough to read? I checked on search and there doesn't seem to have been a thread for his work.

I've recently read 'Fallen Angels' which was different to the other books I've read as it's not primarily about medieval battles, being a little more domestic in content. I found it enjoyable a read, probably my favourite of his, with my girlier side coming out what with suitors for the main female character. :D I've also read 'Azincourt', set a long time before the former novel. That too was fairly enjoyable, because there was more of a story built around it rather than just the battle. I find long battles scenes in books and films tedious so I definitely approve of bulking out a situation with personalised situations.

The first novel I read of his two years ago was Harlequin. I quite liked it but didn't keep it. Now I see it was part of a set, so perhaps I should have read the next one.(? ) I also have 'The Winter King' and the other two books of a trilogy ready to read, and 'The Burning Land'.

So, as above, I'm interested in any recommendations and also any discussion of what members think of his books in general. :D

and

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:21 pm

I loved the Grail Quest trilogy (and last year's 1356 was a fourth novel about Thomas of Hookton). I still think his best was the Warlord Chronicles (The Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur). I enjoy the Saxon Chronicles (of which The Burning Land is the fifth of seven, so far) but not as much as the others. I would have said he was very battle focused, but I think he brings characters to life quite well, too, and I especially enjoy his representation of creeping Christianity.

Another favourite is the single volume Stonehenge.

I haven't read any of his Sharpe series but he did send me an autographed copy of one of them after I contacted him about an obvious missing passage in one of the early Saxon books.
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby tarathiel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:08 am

I havn't read much cornwell recently. I'm going through a bit of a clive cussler phase.

The Sharpe books are definitely my favorites.
I still haven't read the final book of the harlequin series but it's on my to read list.

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby MeadowForest » Fri May 02, 2014 10:13 am

Finished the last book of The Warlord Chronicles last night. Indeed a very immersing book set, and I sure could read a lot of pages of it before finally turning the light out to sleep! As much as we hear about King Arthur, etc., I didn't actually know a lot about what he was 'supposed' to have done, so in a way I was coming to these ideas afresh.

All the novels I've read so far by him have been positive for me, and thinking now I should track down some Sharpe novels. :D Would anyone say there is a series by Cornwell that is even better than Warlord?
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Fri May 02, 2014 4:47 pm

OH, I am searching my memory here, but wasn't there a Sharpe book on the Battle of Trafalgar?? Whoever it was, it was the clearest explanation of the battle I have seen, and a good book otherwise.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Aravar » Thu May 08, 2014 8:59 am

It was called Sharpe's Trafalgar.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Sat May 10, 2014 8:00 am

Uh. . . .Duh. . . Thank you. :lol: :lol:

Unrelated, but I can't resist.

I was wandering around in YouTube and came upon some references to Tom Hiddleston as "Sharpe."WHAT? I hadn't heard that the Sharpe stories were being redone, and if so, Hiddleston would not be a good casting choice. A little further research revealed that the references were to the name of his character in "Crimson Peak."

I am sure this proves something, but I do not know what. :lol:
portia
Ringbearer

Postby tarathiel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:21 pm

The tv people have done some more sharps but have revamped them to fit Sean Beans current age. As much as I'd love to see Trafalgar filmed I can't see it happening and I fear it would be as historically warped as waterloo. some major historical battles just don't work when you parachute in a major literary character.
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to The Books (Other Authors)