This thread was inevitable. Best lines in books

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby zijester » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:42 am

AvadaKedavra wrote:
'There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it......

Amazing line.... Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone
Its not original though. I remember reading something like it in one of the rpg games I used to play. Gemstone. One of the magic gods or something. Man, I used to play that game all the time and I cant remember anything about it. Have no idea why I still pay for it.
zijester
Shield Bearer

Postby venetia » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:21 am

"To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

Oscar Wilde - Importance of Being Earnest
venetia
Rider of the Mark

Postby beans » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:10 pm

"Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilised by education: they grow there, firm as weeds among stones."

Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre
beans
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Maeggaladwen » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:56 pm

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with but REALLY loves you, then you become Real. It doesn't happen all at once. You become. It takes a long time. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margary Williams
Maeggaladwen
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:46 pm

'Ask us no questions and we'll tell you no lies'

-'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby venetia » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:31 am

"Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars, and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun."

Romeo & Juliet - William Shakespeare
venetia
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maeggaladwen » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:04 am

Oh venetia whenever I see the clip of Bobby Kennedy reciting that quote for his brother at the '64 Democratic convention it just rips my heart right out. So powerful!
Maeggaladwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Smantie_Elf » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:58 pm

Two from Soul Music, by Terry Pratchett

'I'm a raven, aren't I? it said 'One of the few birds who speak. The first thing people say is, oh, you're a raven, go on, say the N word... If I had a penny ever time that's happened, I'd-'

(That quote was said by Quoth the raven :lol: )

'Look, I don't understand,' said Susan patiently. 'I don't speak rodent. We only do Klatchian in Modern Languages and I only know how to say 'My aunt's camel has fallen in the mirage'. And if you are imaginary, you might try to be a bit more... loveable.'

(Susan, to the Death of Rats)

~Smantie~
Smantie_Elf
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwen_Sol » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:48 pm

hehe ^_^ lovin' all the quotes in here. I haven't read Terry Prachett in ages and now this just makes me want to start up again.

Maeggaladwen I haven't read that book since I was a child, I don't think I really appreciated the beauty of the language at that age though so it definitely calls for a second look!

These are all quotes from one of my favourite books, The Last Unicorn ~Peter S. Beagle

The prince said, "Who is she, Molly? What kind of woman is it who believes--who knows, for I saw her face--that she can cure wounds with a touch, and who weeps without tears?" Molly went on about her work, still humming to herself.

"Any woman can weep without tears," she answered over her shoulder, "and most can heal with their hands. It depends on the wound. She is a woman, Your Highness, and that's riddle enough."

Prince Lir wrote:"Things must happen when it is time for them to happen. Quests may not simply be abandoned; prophecies may not be left to rot like unpicke fruit; unicorns may go unrescued for a long time, but not forever. The happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story."

"Do something," he said. "You have power. You changed her into a unicorn--do something now to save her. I will kill you if you don't." He showed the magician his hands.

"I cannot," Schmendrick answered him quietly. "Not all the magic in the world can help her now. If she will not fight him, she must go into the sea with the others. Neither magic, nor murder will help her."...

"Then what is magic for?" Prince Lir demanded wildly. "What use is wizardry if it cannot save a unicorn?" He gripped the magician's shoulder hard to keep from falling.

"Schmendrick did not turn his head. With a touch of sad mockery in his voice, he said, "That's what heroes are for."...

"Yes, of course," he said. "That is exactly what heroes are for. Wizards make no difference, so they say that nothing does, but heroes are meant to die for unicorns."

Shmendrick wrote:"Great heroes need great sorrows and burdens, or half their greatness goes unnoticed. It is all part of the fairy tale...It cannot be an ill fortune to have loved a unicorn," he said. "Surely it must be the dearest luck of all, though the hardest earned."

*~Arwen
Arwen_Sol
Ranger of the North

Postby venetia » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:29 am

I am undone: there is no living, none,
If Bertram be away. 'Twere all one
That I should love a bright particular star
And think to wed it, he is so above me:
In his bright radiance and collateral light
Must I be comforted, not in his sphere.

Shakepeare -All's Well That Ends Well

Maeggaladwen :) cool - didn't know that Bobby Kennedy connection!

The Last Unicorn looks good! Arwen_Sol , dont know that one..
venetia
Rider of the Mark

Postby peskypixie25 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:22 am

I would have to say that I like the same quote as Avada. And since I read it in Philosopher's Stone, I think I'll attribute it to Harry Potter.
peskypixie25
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbit_Guy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:52 pm

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. ~J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore

As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all - the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them. ~J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore

You place too much importance... on the so-called purity of blood! You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be! ~J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore

No, I think I'll just go down and have some pudding and wait for it all to turn up.... It always does in the end. ~J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, spoken by the character Luna Lovegood

"He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with news...check if I'm happy..." ~J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, spoken by Harry Potter

"Can I have a look at Uranus, too, Lavender?" ~ J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, spoken by Ron Weasley

Hermione frowned at Ron.
"He's not a nutter, Ron---"
"His life's ambition is to have his head cut off and stuck up on a plaque just like his mother," said Ron irritably. "Is that normal, Hermione?"
~J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." ~J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, spoken by Sirius Black

"Fancy thinking the Beast was something you could hunt and kill! You knew, didn’t you? I’m part of you? Close, close, close! I’m the reason why it’s no go? Why things are what they are?" ~ William Golding, Lord of the Flies, 'spoken' by the Lord of the Flies

"Nothing endures, not a tree, not love, not even a death by violence. Changed, I headed back through the mud. I was drenched; anybody could see it was time to come in out of the rain." ~ John Knowles, A Separate Peace, spoken by Gene Forrester

"I could not escape a feeling that this was my own funeral, and you do not cry in that case." ~ John Knowles, A Separate Peace, spoken by Gene Forrester

Mrs. Joe was a very clean housekeeper, but had an exquisite art of making her cleanliness more uncomfortable and unacceptable than dirt itself. ~ Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

And could I look upon her without compassion, seeing her punishment in the ruin she was, in her profound unfitness for this earth on which she was placed, in the vanity of sorrow which had become a master mania, like the vanity of penitence, the vanity of remorse, the vanity of unworthiness, and other monstrous vanities that have been curses in this world? ~ Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

"Fish, I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends." ~ Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea, spoken by Santiago

“Not everyone born free and equal, as the Constitution says, but everyone made equal. Each man the image of every other; then all are happy, for there are no mountains to make them cower, to judge themselves against.” ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451, spoken by Beatty

These are some to begin...
Hobbit_Guy
Shield Bearer

Postby striderchick » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:21 pm

His smile was so easy, so friendly, that Laura recovered. What nice eyes he had, small, but such a dark blue! And now she looked at the others, they were smiling too. 'Cheer up, we won't bite,' their smile seemed to say. How very nice workmen were! And what a beutiful morning! she mustn't mention the morning; she must be business-like.

-from Katherine Mansfield's short story "the Garden Party"

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby venetia » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:10 pm

oh striderchick - you've inspired me!!

Well, at any rate, all that part of it was over, though neither of them could possibly believe that father was never coming back. Josephine had had a moment of absolute terror at the cemetery, while the coffin was lowered, to think that she and Constantia had done this thing without asking his permission. What would father say when he found out? For he was bound to find out sooner or later. He always did. "Buried. You two girls had me buried!" She heard his stick thumping. Oh, what would they say? What possible excuse could they make? It sounded such an appallingly heartless thing to do.

also Katherine Mansfield - "The daughters of the Late Colonel"
venetia
Rider of the Mark

Postby Arwen_Sol » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:13 pm

venetia I'd definitely recommend it! The language is beautiful and ironic at the same time~ very well written

Hobbit_Guy Great quotes! Now I have to reread those books... again!

Todays quotes from "The Little Prince" Antoine de Saint-Exupery

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well~ The Little Prince

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. ~The Fox

*~Arwen
Arwen_Sol
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:57 pm

venetia i haven't read that one yet. i want to give a quote from "The Doll's House", but at the moment i can't remember where i put my copy of it.. i'll have to go looking..

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby venetia » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:32 am

"Because," he said, "I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you--especially when you are near me, as now: it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame. And if that boisterous Channel, and two hundred miles or so of land come broad between us, I am afraid that cord of communion will be snapt; and then I've a nervous notion I should take to bleeding inwardly. As for you,--you'd forget me."
"That I NEVER should, sir: you know--" Impossible to proceed.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
venetia
Rider of the Mark

Postby striderchick » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:25 pm

'Your Dadda's gone,' Mam said. 'He's gone.'
Margaret started to wail and Thomas bit his lip and screwed up his eyes. the two children ran to the comfort of their mother's arms. But Celia just stood there. Oh, Dadda, was that you, that soft radiance? Was that your soul coming to say goodbye before going to heaven?

-from 'This Life is Weary' by Witi Ihemaeira (forgive spelling) the author of Whale Rider.. this short story ties in with Mansfields' "The Garden Party"

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:36 pm

Just because the man looked like Milton's ruined archangel and chose to appear in the hall like the Demon King through a trap door, it didn't necessarily mean that I had to smell sulpher

'Nine Coaches Waiting' - Mary Stewart

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby AvadaKedavra » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:00 am

Nothing to be done.

Waiting for Godot
AvadaKedavra
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:42 pm

"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?"
"I'll warrant you'll make plenty in it," said Marilla

Anne of Green Gables

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:47 pm

Tuta leapt up on his motorbike and, over the rest of the day, roared around the city calling on his mates from the factory. 'It wasn't me, Tuta,' Crazy-Joe said as he sank a red ball in the billiard saloon, 'but I tell you, man, you'll look great in a suit.' Nor was it Blackjack over at the garage, who said, 'But listen, mate, when you go grab some of those Diplo number plates for me, ay?' And neither was it Des, who moonlighted as Desiree Dawn at the strip club, or Sheree, who workes part time at the pinball parlour. 'You couldn't take a partner, could you?' Desiree Dawn breathed hopefully. 'Nah, you wouldn't be able to fit on my bike,' Tuta said - apart from which he didn't think a six-foot transvestite with a passion for pink boas and slit satin dresses would enjoy it all that much. By the end of the day Tuta was no wiser, and when he arrived at Bigfoot's house and found hid mate waiting for him in a tiara, he knew that word was getting around...

"His First Ball" Witi Ihimaera
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Maeggaladwen » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:04 am

"There is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to man and beast it is all a sham . . . "
-- Anna Sewell Black Beauty

" . . . we call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words."
-- Anna Sewell Black Beauty

"Loneliness is the human condition.  Cultivate it.  The way it tunnels into you allows your soul room to grow.  Never expect to outgrow loneliness.  Never hope to find people who will understand you, someone to fill that space.  An intelligent, sensitive person is the exception, the very great exception.  If you expect to find people who will understand you, you will grow murderous with disappointment.  The best you'll ever do is to understand yourself, know what it is that you want, and not let the cattle stand in your way."
-- Janet Fitch White Oleander

This is such a great thread! It makes me revisit old books I love and find the best in them.
Maeggaladwen
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:54 pm

'Gently, my girl! Wall's have ears!'
'But no tongues,' said Cadfael as softly. 'No, speak freely, child, it's not me you need fear..'

'The Heretic's Apprentice' - Ellis Peters

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby NoetherianRingBearer » Wed May 04, 2005 7:54 pm

"And thereupon Ulmo lifted up a mighty horn, and blew upon it a single great note, to which the roaring of the storm was but a wind-flaw upon a lake. And as he heard that note, and was encompassed by it, and filled with it, it seemed to Tuor that the coasts of Middle-earth vanished, and he surveyed all the waters of the world in a great vision: from the veins of the lands to the mouths of the rivers, and from the strands and estuaries out into the deep. The Great Sea he saw through its unquiet regions teeming with strange forms, even to its lightless depths, in which amid the everlasting darkness there echoed voices terrible to mortal ears. Its measureless plains he surveyed with the swift sight of the Valar, lying windless under the eye of Anar, or glittering under the horned Moon, or lifted in hills of wrath that broke upon the Shadowy Isles, until remote upon the edge of sight, and beyond the count of leagues, he glimpsed a mountain, rising beyond his mind's reach into a shining cloud, and at its feet a long surf glimmering. And even as he strained to hear the sound of those far waves, and to see clearer that distant light, the note ended, and he stood beneath the thunder of the storm, and lightning many branched rent asunder the heavens above him. And Ulmo was gone, and sea was in tumult, as the wild waves of Osse rode against the walls of Nevrast."

JRR Tolkien - Unfinished Tales, Part One, I: Of Tour and His Coming to Gondolin: pp 33
NoetherianRingBearer
Rider of the Mark

Postby NoetherianRingBearer » Wed May 04, 2005 7:57 pm

"He thinks, considers
how to be, which way to live."

-The Kalevala, (trans. Bosley)
NoetherianRingBearer
Rider of the Mark

Postby NoetherianRingBearer » Wed May 04, 2005 7:59 pm

"In the three worlds,
There is nothing I must do,
Nothing unattained to be attained,
Yet I engage in action."

Bhagavad Gita, 3:22
NoetherianRingBearer
Rider of the Mark

Postby NoetherianRingBearer » Wed May 04, 2005 8:03 pm

"One may well ask: what then is the good of engaging in battle? A Kshatriya kills another Kshatriya; a fish lives on another fish; a dog kills another dog. See how each follows his rule of life, O Krishna. In all cases war is evil. Who that strikes is not struck in return? Victory and defeat, O Krishna are the same to one who is killed. Defeat is not very much better than death, I think; but he whose side gains victory also surely suffers some loss."

-Yudhishthira, The Mahabharata (trans. Narasimhan), Udyoga Parva XL, pg 101
NoetherianRingBearer
Rider of the Mark

Postby NoetherianRingBearer » Wed May 04, 2005 8:19 pm

"Oh, empty glory of all human power!
How soon the green fades from the topmost bough,
unless the following season shows no growth!...

Your earthly fame is but a gust of wind
that blows about, shifting this way and that,
and as it changes quarter, changes name.

Were you to reach the ripe old age of death,
instead of dying prattling in your crib,
would you have more fame in a thousand years?

What are ten centuries to eternity?
Less than the blinking of an eye compared
to the turning of the slowest of the spheres."

-Dante, Purgatory (trans. Musa), Canto XI, 91-93, 100-108
NoetherianRingBearer
Rider of the Mark

Postby striderchick » Thu May 05, 2005 10:09 pm

Wow, that's a lot of quotes NoetherianRingBearer. =)
unfortunately i'm all out of quotes at the moment

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)