Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Re: Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:35 pm

Woah, the new BSG is pretty great so far (am only in the middle of season 2) so here's hoping his love of the Outlander books will contribute to a great adaptation! :)

Oh, Jamie Fraser...what a man to try and cast; with so many of us picturing our own versions of all our favourite characters, this will be a hard choice! Much like LotR. :) <3
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 am

Starz is advertising a series on these books.
OH, DEAR! I do not get Starz, but I may have to re--think that.
They do not have a date in the ads: it just says check your local listing.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Almatolmen » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:18 am

portia, the series begins on 9 August. I don't get STARZ, or cable even. None of my friends had the good sense to subscribe either. I'm gnashing my teeth and feel like howling with frustration. Oh, and I can't afford the data consumption for on-line viewing either. :hair: :lightening: :cry2: I'm hoping for eventual DVD releases.

I'm preparing to be disappointed about media coverage on the news, entertainment, and talk shows. After all, after twenty years of best-sellers, I've not seen or heard of any national guest appearances by Diana Gabaldon for the novels. For example, she and the cast had very successful participation at the recent LA Comic-Con. Not a word in the media coverage of that event. But I'm crossing my fingers and keeping my eyes and ears open!
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby portia » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:00 am

After years of ignoring the premium channels, this one made me sign up.
The trailers seem hopeful, tho' I'd somehow expected a Jamie with harder edges. Can't tell from a trailer.
I wish there were some way, I could pass it along to you.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Almatolmen » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:03 pm

Thanks, portia. Some people have already seen the first episode online. No reviews yet. Most buzz is positive. If you were a FB Friend of mine you would have been seeing lots of series-related Shares.

So far this is the only mainstream media acknowledgement of the series I've been able to find:

http://outlandertvnews.com/2014/07/dian ... ing-video/

For earlier news feeds:

http://outlandertvnews.com
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby portia » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:54 am

Well, after a long pause, during which I watched some episodes and not others, I say "meh."

The man who plays Jamie is very far from my picture of him, and starts the series as too much a kid. Claire is also very far from my ideal.
However, the series seems to capture what I know of the 1700s in Scotland (which I think is more than average, because of long participation in Scottish-American activities and 4 trips to Scotland).
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Dunthule » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:38 pm

I watched the series Portia. (Never read the books).
The series descended into some fairly disturbing visuals. :shock:
I fast forwarded through much of it as it added no value IMHO and took away from a storyline I enjoyed. :|
Probably not watching season 2 next year.
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Almatolmen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:44 am

I find your reactions strange. I've read all eight books, plus the Lord John novels and a short story collection. I love the books and I'm waiting eagerly for (untitled) Book #9.

Adaptations always make me wary, especially to TV. I, like the overwhelming majority of book fans, was very pleasantly surprised. I've only watched Part 1 of Season One on Blu-Ray, so far, and will order Part 2 in the beginning of September. Because I don't get cable and can't afford the data consumption of online watching I have a long wait for Dragonfly in Amber, which will be very different in locale and atmosphere.

Dunthule, if you'd read the books, you'd realize that the series follows the difficult and disturbing scenes very closely. Since you haven't, it's understandable. But some commentators who have, flabbergasted me by objecting to it. What did they expect? It's all in the books and it's cable TV so they don't need to tone down the content. A really silly reaction, IMO.

I recommend the STARZ series very highly. But to each their own reaction.

BTW, Diana Gabalson very strongly approves.

This is an excellent blog by the composer of the soundtrack, Bear McCreary:

http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/blog/outlander-sassenach/
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Almatolmen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:41 am

This review deals directly with the rape/torture in the Season One finale, which raised the most outrage among some and includes a link to DG's comments on FB:

http://www.refinery29.com/2015/05/88350/outlander-jamie-rape-scene
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Almatolmen » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:07 pm

Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby portia » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:18 am

Thank you for posting those comments.
he's 6'3"? He doesn't look it. I would have guessed about 5"11." He can, indeed, act. But the result is still not Jamie for me. And BTW, Claire is not quite right for me as Claire. Mostly, she is much too thin.

As to the rape/torture scene, I have no idea whether it follows the scene in the book. I skipped over it. I got the idea of what Randall was doing and I saw no need to read every word. It was gratuitous and Gabaldon's explanation was unconvincing. It makes me think of a long line of unnecessary scenes stuck in to sell books. I have read the subsequent books and not missed having read that scene. It adds nothing to my enjoyment of the rest of the books.

Although I enjoy the books, Gabaldon's diarrhea of the pen is getting to me. I have started to skip bits.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Almatolmen » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:31 pm

I am not a big fan of sex and violence and nowadays much of it is gratuitous. But I didn't find it to be so in this case in the book. And I do find that it informs the content of later books. I haven't yet watched the scene from the series. I'll be ordering the Blu-Ray of Part 2 in a short while.

Maybe Gabaldon's style doesn't suit your preferences, but it fits mine to a T. I often skip parts of novels I reread, but even when I intend to in these books I always get sucked into reading every word.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby WesternSeas » Wed May 11, 2016 1:30 pm

Lovely to meet other Outlander fans! Started reading the books several years ago, and watching the tv series now. Absolutely in love with Jamie Fraser and at the same time would love to go out for a few drinks with Claire! it's funny to hear of people skipping the sex scenes - I often do in other books, they are always so samey and most of the time not really necessary, but I find in the Outlander books, it is such an integral part of the love and passion Jamie and Claire have for each other, the scenes show their connection physically, emotionally and spiritually, that I love reading them for that. I personally skip the America history scenes in later books. I find DG writes in such detail and with the general assumption of someone discussing their own country's history that she assumes you always know who, what and where she is talking about and doesn't explain it as she did with the Jacobites. Knowing very little about American history i find the long political scenes confusing and often quite dull in later books, and try and skim it till I have a general idea of what's going on, i.e. ok, there's going to be a battle, Jamie's in it, Claires looking after people etc.

As for the series, love Jamie (yum!), don't like Claire - find her very cold and wooden, but I think that might be partly down to the writing - I find her too perfect, and there's no humour in her, whereas Claire in the books has me laughing or at least smiling to myself often.
WesternSeas
Petitioner to the Council

Previous

Return to The Books (Other Authors)