Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby Yavannië » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:43 am

Hi Bessthebard! Glad you joined us! :hug:

Oh oh, I've got some great news: I finally got my sister Minyacaliel to read the the Outlander! :clap: I've tried for so long and now it's finally happening. :D

About Jamie beating Claire up, quite frankly I'm a little ashamed of how little it affected on my opinion of Jamie [I kind of madly fell in love with him at the first sight (or word, in this case)]. I know it's not really a good excuse to say that "that's how things were done back then" but it's true. Besides Jamie doesn't know yet that Claire is from the 20th century. He can't know that beating just isn't common where she's from. Not that it was ok to beat her if she, too, was from the 18th century...
I think the reason why I didn't get too much bothered about it was Jamie's amazingly moving vow to never do anything like that again [as Bess said already] and also the fact that he was kind of pushed to do that. I mean, the beating was a punishment for Claire beacuse she ran away, got captured and risked so many lives (when the men came to rescue her). If Jamie hadn't done a thing to his unobeyant wife, it wouldn't have been fair to his men. Jamie's always been such a great leader, always putting his men's interest first. :roll:
Yavannië
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:12 pm

Gabaldon has another series, with Sir John. Anyone read any of them. They seem as wordy as the others, but is the story good?
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:29 am

I *knew* there'd be a thread here for Himself! Oh James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser, how I've missed you since I put down the last book - I await the next book with baited...eyes. :)
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:02 am

Trasmerg38 wrote:Hugh Jackson with long red hair and a Scottish accent....rrrrrOOOOW! :twisted:
think about it awhile. :D

:rofl:

I agree!
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:21 pm

AAAHHHHHHH, yes, indeed.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:46 pm

There is a new one out, that has to do with the Revolutionary War.
I am in the Reserve line at the library for it.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:49 am

A friend of mine recently recommended this for me -- she thought I'd like it because it takes place in Scotland (and I visited there this past year). I am about 1/2 way through the first book & I am enjoying it very much. Is this a series? Are the other books based on the same characters?

Portia, you mention in the initial thread that the main male character is illegitimate.. maybe I haven't gotten that far... but I don't think it says that in the book.

RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:02 am

Wow, going back.. . .

I think I recall something about Jamie being born of unmarried parents, but It doesn't really matter as the families seem to accept him as a proper member, regardless.

Yes, is it ever a series!! :!: :!: The books are all very long, but--for the most part-- I enjoy wading through them. I suggest you keep going with them. The main characters are the same, plus children, friends and neighbors are added along the way. The new book would be. . .what. . . the sixth? Seventh?
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:36 pm

I met Diana Gabaldon at the signing of her new book - I squeed inside. :rofl:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Lembas_Junkie wrote:I met Diana Gabaldon at the signing of her new book - I squeed inside. :rofl:

LJ.. that had to be exciting!

Portia.. I finished the first book and now I am 3/4 the way through 'Dragonfly in Amber'. I love the story, the characters, the IDEA for the storyline blows me away.. but I find myself cringing at the sadistic sexually explicit scenes... it's a bit too explicit for me. Fortunately or Unfortunately it takes place at the end of the first book so I am already hooked & want to find out how the story plays out.. so I will probably finish reading the series. I (sort of) understand why the author did it.. but.. it's just a bit much.. so much happens in just one years time.. that it takes the story a bit more to the 'romance novel' rather than the 'historical fiction' (which is what I like). I have never read a strictly 'romance' novel before.. maybe that is how they all are?
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:27 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:[ I have never read a strictly 'romance' novel before.. maybe that is how they all are? [/color]

I don't think so. I must admit that I skipped the third (?) book. I also felt that those scenes were gratuitous, and I do not see them as important to the later plot. Maybe something in the third book. . .

Later books seem to me to be close looks at the activities of the couple, and children and friends. Maybe some elements of soap opera, but also interesting historically.

I just got the most recent one from the library. It is VERY THICK.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:25 pm

portia wrote:
They are ALL VERY thick!!! ;)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:22 am

RoseMorninStar wrote:
portia wrote:
They are ALL VERY thick!!! ;)

Are they, ever! I am about 1/4 of the way through number 7, and it is mostly interesting. However, I have to admit that certain characters and plot lines do not interest me and I skip them. I am probably missing something important.

This large a book is an asset when I have to go have a medical procedure and wait forever in the waiting room (yesterday and today).
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:33 pm

I have now finished number 7. If you ignore skipped sequences.

It is not the last one. Some issues are resolved; some are not. The American Revolution is still going on, but there are hints that the books will eventually get to the French Revolution (!!)
portia
Ringbearer

Postby vison » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Outlander came to me very heavily recommended and I toiled my way through it and then the next one . . . and then gave up. I cringed at some of the sex scenes, too. I mean, I don't object to sex scenes in a novel, but these were icky.

Ms. Gabaldon had some good stuff in there, though. Some tricksy time-travel notions that could have led somewhere really interesting, instead of to orgies in caves.
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Ilyda » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:05 am

My mom introduced me to these books, oh, probably 10 years ago or more now. I was reading at a time when there were only three books out there (We picked up Drums of Autumn for the first time while I was reading). I went pretty quickly through Outlander and Dragonfly, but I bogged down a little toward the end of Voyager, which I had to talk to my mom to really understand.

I tried to read Drums not too long later, once my mom was done with it, and I really got bogged down while they're setting up in...North Carolina I think it was? She warned me that it was not real fast-moving, but I just couldn't do it. My mom is on Ashes, I think. I'm pretty sure she has it, but I don't know whether she's read it yet. Someday, if I ever have the time, I might pick this series back up again (now that I've grown up quite a bit since I first read it) and see whether I can get any further than I did the last time.

In the meantime, though, I have good memories of reading up through Voyager. A couple of my friends were reading some other books about romance in Scotland (can't remember what they were called), and I immediately recommended the Outlander series to them. I keep forgetting to ask whether they've read the books or if they enjoyed them. I hope so.
Ilyda
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:00 pm

I bought the graphic novel, it's decent. :) The humour is still there, and it's neat to see someone's interpretation of what stuff looks like (bars, ceremonies, people, etc). Jamie looks great! :D Claire's a little too busty, though. :rofl:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:12 am

I looked at Gabaldon's website, and it looks like she is doing final proofing on the next book. It might not be too long, now.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 pm

I checked out the most recent book "An Echo In the Bone" but it is going back on my next visit. It is simply TOO BIG to read in hardback. The woman has writing diarrhea. I will look at it again, in paperback.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Adara » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:58 am

Oh wow, I adore these books and no-one I know has read them! I am so totally and hopelessly in love with Jamie, and am quite nerdy in that Diana Gabaldon's website in on my favourites, plus I have joined her facebook page which is wicked as they votes on castings and also she posts up small excerpts from the new book every week more or less, though is quite good at not posting spoilers, more like teasers!

As for the final book, she says she will hopefully finish writing it around December 2012, so it won't be published till later next year. I've just finished reading the series over again (my sixth or seventh time for the first few) though I'll admit I skip over some of the American Civil War stuff as I don't have the slightest clue about American history and I think she doesn't get that subtle references without plain explanation only work for American readers!
Adara
Petitioner to the Council

Postby portia » Tue May 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Who would not be in love with Jamie?
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Aramir66 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:31 am

This has got to be hands down my favourite serie's,,, hubby and my kid's get me the next serie's book whenever they are released in hard cover,,,and now that my girls are old enought, there going to read them also,,,It's just so hard trying to think of who to play the character's,,everyone has there own Jamie in mind,,,,
Aramir66
Citizen of Imladris

Postby portia » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Hugh Jackman is the top of my list.

I haven't kept up about which books are available, and also ebooks. I need to check that out.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Oh..Hugh.. *drool* Although a good unknown/lesser known actor would be nice too.

I have not finished this series.. it got a bit slow for me after several books. I do not usually read 'romance' type novels but I love historical fiction & that's what captivated me. What I noticed in the books is that there are scenes every so often which seem to be too much out of character (I noticed this especially with Jamie's character). I later found out that the author will write a scene when it comes to her & then insert it into the story.. so that is what it seems so disjointed or out of character at times. I found that aspect of the books to be disconcerting, but otherwise I enjoyed them. Well, of the ones I've read so far. I love the concept of the story, however the 'cringe-worthy' sex scenes I could do without.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:16 pm

I have no hesitation to skip "cringe-worthy" scenes, whether of sex, violence or just bad writing. I also just stop reading books that looked interesting but turned out boring, poorly written or plotted, etc. If it is an actual book, it goes in the Library donation box. If it is an ebook, I'd like to delete it, but my Nook will not do that.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Almatolmen » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 pm

For me there are two interesting pieces of recent news: Galbaldon is negociating (again) for an Outlander movie, as is Eric Flint for a 1632 TV program. As we all know, adaption is a crap shoot, but EF's attitude is that, in the end is all he really cares about is more exposure for the books. A good adaptation would be great, but IHO, just frosting on the cake. I'd hope for a good script and cast, but it excites me that anybody is thinking that there is sufficient interest out there to consider these projects dealing with some of my favorite books!
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby portia » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Either one of those would be on my must-see list.

Hugh Jackman as Jamie is very unlikely, but there are others who could do it. Chris Hemsworth (with dyed hair) leapt immediately to mind).

IMO, a "1632" series would have to be tied very tightly to the basic concept of the Ring of Fire. If it failed to do exposition almost every episode, people would lose track. But I think it could work very well.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Almatolmen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Adara, did you mean the American Revolution? Outlander has no references to the Civil War, which started 85 years after the Revolution. Where are you from that you didn't realize that? Or was it a "brain fart"?
At one point DG expressed the view that Philip Winchester of the TV series "Robinson Crusoe" would make a good Jamie. I think she's favored other actors since then. There's a pretty active casting debate among fans with some even making videos featuring their favorite candidate. I don't actually have any, though I felt comfortable with Winchester. I actually thought of Jamie right off when I first saw RC.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Almatolmen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:24 pm

I checked on DG's website and a development deal to be pitched to cable networks was struck with Sony on July 22. Ronald D. Coleman, known for rebooting Battleship Galactica and a devotee of the books, is adapting the script. Some commenters thought that was great news, others weren't so enthusiastic. RDC's involvement, that is. He'd like to adapt all seven novels and the forthcoming eighth. I believe the current deal is just for the first.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby portia » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:44 pm

That is nice. I'd like to see a movie/miniseries based on "Outlander."

As to casting, Liam Neeson would be good, but now he is too old (not too old to be a very attractive man, only for Jamie Fraser in "Outlander.")

Edit: I looked at the IMDB page for Phillip Wichester. He would do well. Another actor I keep thinking of is Brendan Fraser ("The Mummy"). There is something about him that I really like for the part. The problem is that he has a goofy smile and is as likely to do scene for laughs as he is to do it seriously. Jamie is not goofy. But Brendan Fraser "swashbuckles" convincingly.

Both the "Outlander" series and the "1632" series would make good TV series. We can but hope.

Hope for good casting is important. Another series that could make a good TV series was Evanovich's "One for the Money." The production was ok, except for the casting of the two main men. Morelli was played by a nice looking guy that was nothing like the "smokin' " Morelli of the books. Similarly, Ranger was too much the ordinary guy and did not have enough of the hot, barely controlled danger of the book Ranger.
Last edited by portia on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portia
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)