Books you hated and everyone else loved.

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby Ayslhyn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:50 am

:lol:

Enid Blyton is a famous English writer of children's books (circa 1940's and 50's)

A lot of her stories are based in boarding schools (Hogwarts) and feature much the same stock characters as used by Rowling (The nerd, the school bully, the plucky hero/heroine)

The only difference is the wizarding stuff featured in Harry Potter. The unique selling point.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Thanks, I appreciate that. Now I know what C.S. Lewis was complaining about when he talked about "school stories." He simply despised them. Maybe he was referring to Enid Blyton and similar writers. :)

The Letter G

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Ayslhyn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:11 pm

You are welcome.

Very likely that is exactly what CS Lewis was objecting to. English children's books were long dominated by the "School Story" genre. Blyton was by no means the only person to be churning them out.

Harry Potter just inescapably reminds me of these genre stories but with added magical trappings.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:50 am

Robin: that's why I like my little critter. He also reminds me of Hoodwinked...the squirrel in that movie also has some caffine and breaks the sound barrier. :rofl:

Always...

"I'd rather kiss a Wookie..."

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Ponyboy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:16 am

Critically acclaimed books that I just didn't care for:

Catcher in the Rye

Lord of the Flies

On The Road
Ponyboy
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:06 pm

My problem is, the books I didn't care for I no longer remember what they were. (Made a big impression, eh?)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:41 pm

Do you ever accidentally pick up one of those books and try it again and then say, "now I remember why I hated this!"?

Always...

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Arenial » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:27 pm

I don't know if anyone has posted this one yet, but I now have one to add to the lists:

Twilight and the rest of them

I finally decided to read the first. I won't be reading the rest. It was so poorly written, and Bella's relationship with Edward is more like obsession than love... :puke: Not a healthy thing for young girls to be reading.
Arenial
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:42 pm

I may read it now just to see how bad it is! :D

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:48 pm

Wow, and where I work, both the book and the movie version of Twilight are selling like hotcakes. And I see the ones who are buying them, mostly teenage girls, what used to be called teeny-boppers. I guess there's no accounting for taste. I might just read it or rent the movie to see if it's as bad as people say.

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Arenial » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Iris, :rofl: That's why I read it. Awful, awful book. *shakes head*

Cock-Robin, I work in a bookstore and we are absolutely drowning in Twilight books and other... stuff. We just got in four boxes of the Twilight Board Game. I hear the movie is worse than the book.
Arenial
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:12 am

Robin: It's not just the teeny-boppers. My editor, the assistant editor and the features editor (ages 51, 40-ish and 33) read all the books and raved over them.

So...the library is about two blocks from my office. Someday I'll wander down and give it a borrow.

Of course, I've intended to do that with Harry Potter for some years now and never got around to doing it.

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Lèith » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:28 am

It's not only females who obsess over the books, either. I have some male friends that are absolutely crazy about them. I've read them all and found them to be simply amusing. Fluff. It's just sad that the Meyer actually got famous over them. In my opinion they were very poorly written, and defiantly did not portray they love between Bella and Edward very well. As Arenial said, not a good message to teenage girls.
Lèith
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:36 am

Of course, the popularity of the Twilight books is about the same as those who devour the romances you see at grocery store stalls, Harlequin romances and others like them.

I finally read some of those romances, wondering why people obsess over them. I still am wondering. And it made me wonder more things, like do people really get paid to write such drivel?

People in the trade call this genre "bodice-rippers," from a line in one of these books:

He ripped her bodice. And what the blazes is a bodice? And who in their right mind wears one of those things? Nobody in real life ever does the things described in the romances. And if the readers are looking for vicarious sex, they'd better look elsewhere. Nothing in them remotely resembles sex.

Here is the usual plot of these bodice-rippers. The man is usually named Reginald, and he is more handsome than any man ever is, there are no flaws in him, he is perfect, and he knows it!

The woman's name is a governess named Lucille. She has been waiting in this place, having no life of her own, for her knight in shining armor to take her away from all this. When they meet, violins play and Lucille says "Oh, Reginald, make a woman of me!"

I'm afraid if I was Reginald, I'd say "Lady, I'm afraid it's too late. You're too far gone."

And I'm left wondering why both don't end up in an insane asylum. Along with the author.

Surprisingly, Tolkien was a far better romance writer than all of these combined. Look at the romances between Faramir and Eowyn, of Aragorn and Arwen. Beren and Luthien.

The Letter G

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:41 am

:rofl:

They are a bit updated now, I'm told. Now they work in the corporate world, and he rips her $100 silk blouse. :P

True about Tolkien. There have been complaints about women only existing from the neck up...I dunno that's a problem. Really, the men only do too. He gives us just enough to imagine...and the characters treat each other like people with minds and likes and dislikes and so on, which is far more romantic in my mind. :)

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:00 am

Twilight is about the only book my best friend has ever read. Sweet girl and all, but my god, she thinks it is some form of high art.

She is a 20 year old college student. She also thinks Paul Walker is the best actor around today, again nice girl, but we don't exactly agree with most things. I'm afraid she represents the majority of people in my generation. This girl hardly reads, doesn't really like movies that aren't like Superbad or Saw and only watches Family Guy on T.V. What is happening to our culture?! Is low culture completley taking over? Or has it always been that appealing and big?

She didn't know Pearl Harbor was in WW2, she also didn't know what major countries were involved except the U.S and Germany. She excuses this by saying "I don't really like history"

The other part of this is...........she want's to get a P.H.D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:25 am

You don't agree on much but she's your best friend?

Okay...

I had a friend from high school/college years who was that dense. She thought Queen Elizabeth the first was really a man, to begin with. :roll: I think it's common to some extent in all generations, it's just getting worse. :(

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:07 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:You don't agree on much but she's your best friend?

Okay...

I had a friend from high school/college years who was that dense. She thought Queen Elizabeth the first was really a man, to begin with. :roll: I think it's common to some extent in all generations, it's just getting worse. :(

It's a weird relationship, we can confide in each other things we never tell anyone else, and we are really comfortable around each other...........but we basically disagree on about most everything else. (we have a few things in common we like, but really not much)

I guess the conversation is good and the company is good.

Sounds weird I know, but it really is a weird relationship, hard to explain. Were kinda like each others shrinks :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:10 am

Well, okay, I guess that works! :D

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Kaya » Thu May 21, 2009 7:46 am

I just read Twilight, and since the pace near the end was a bit better (and there was at last some plot) I was hopeful that the author was finally getting into it. So - also keeping in mind that I clearly wasn't part of the target audience as had become clear fairly quick, and since I have a thing for vampire tales - I decided to give New Moon a go. Bad move. :puke:

If I had a teenage son or daughter, I wouldn't like them to read any of these books. I think they set a horrible example to both about life and relationships.

I think the decision of writing it from a 1th person's view was a bad one for someone which such poor writing skills (and such an irritating protagonist - Bella's father was right when he suggested councelling).

Sorry for my little rant. I just can't grasp that these are 'bestsellers'. :|
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby Storyteller » Thu May 21, 2009 11:46 pm

I find Dostoyevsky sleep-inducing. I've read plenty of those "heavy" Russian classics and liked many (Chekhov and Korolenko especially), but Dostoyevsky is unbearable.

Modern books... The Da Vinci Code. Overhyped and completely unimpressive piece of mediocrity. I've developed a strong dislike for all things Dan Brown- which puts me into something of a dilemma now with this new "Angels and Demons" movie. On one hand, it's Dan Brown based; on the other, Auelet Zurer is starring.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri May 22, 2009 5:45 am

Rent it. :)

I waited until DaVinci Code came on on DVD and rented it, then bought the book at a yard sale. I plan on doing the same with Angels and Demons. I want to know what happens, but not badly enough to pay full price for it. :rofl:

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Lysanor » Sat May 30, 2009 3:34 am

I absolutely hated Lord of the Flies which I was forced to read in school.
Ever noticed how all the books we have to read in school have depressing endings...Romeo and Juliet (:puke:), of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies (which is depressing all the way through) etc ???
Lysanor
Shield Bearer

Postby Frelga » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:48 pm

Storyteller wrote:I find Dostoyevsky sleep-inducing. I've read plenty of those "heavy" Russian classics and liked many (Chekhov and Korolenko especially), but Dostoyevsky is unbearable.

Oh dear sweet Illuvatar and his fluffy nephews, yes, yes, yes! I was forced to endure Crime and Punishment, but Imps/Demons/Possessed/whatever the translated name of Besy is, that was beyond even my bookaholic powers.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby LordBlackadder » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:36 pm

I think Twilight may be the future. Of bathroom Tissue.
LordBlackadder
Petitioner to the Council

Postby striderchick » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:40 pm

The Sun Also Rises. Can't remember my entire reasoning for this, but I really just couldn't stand it. And I had to read it for university.
Margaret Atwood's Cat's Eye.... my feet literally cringed when I was reading this. I would have loved it except for that, I think.
I am a fan of Twilight but I am also well aware of how... awful.. it really is. As I think someone already pointed out (I did just skim through all 6 pages of the thread) Bella as a role model??? She doesn't do anything, she's useless, taken to the extreme since a lot of the time she can't even just walk without falling over.. that being said, I am somewhat accident prone myself and should perhaps be more forgiving.. and Edward is a stalker. Seriously. I love Jasper though hehe. But by the time you get to Breaking Dawn, if not before... it just reads like fanfiction.
Catcher in the Rye... had to read it this year. There was just something about it that really ticked me off.
And one more... Chaucer.. it taught me how to read Middle English, but all that translating gave me a headache. Whereas reading the two books of Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte Darthur that i had to didn't.. Maybe I'm just more interested in Arthurian stuff.
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Matrim » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:43 am

Beloved: It was just garbage, I often time find myself reading through books even if they are bad. I just have to see the ending. This one I didnt even bother.

Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind: The first few were pretty good, then they got just way the hell out there and boring to boot. What a waste of trees.
Matrim
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:27 pm

Beloved as in Toni Morrison? I just finished that yesterday.
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Which just goes to prove that one person's trash is another's treasure. :D

Has anyone read "The Lovely Bones?" Since PJ made the movie, I'm curious.

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby striderchick » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Yes I've read the Lovely Bones, and I'm definately going to see the movie. I liked it, as much as you can like a book of that nature. I think it was done very well, and I am looking forward to seeing how PJ did everything. The whole reason I read it was 'cause I heard years ago he was going to do the movie. :)
striderchick
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)