Books you hated and everyone else loved.

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby Hedwig » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:29 am

Storyteller wrote:I find Dostoyevsky sleep-inducing. I've read plenty of those "heavy" Russian classics and liked many (Chekhov and Korolenko especially), but Dostoyevsky is unbearable.

How I understand you!!! I my country (Ukraine) we read Dostoevsky at school when we are some 12 - 13 years old. It is TERRIBLE! I read every page for three times to understand and remember it. Don't thunk me or my claasmates were too stupid. This is too early to read such sophisticated literature. And I can't read Dostoevsky even now - this is not my spirit, I don't like him however great classic he is.
And as for me, Dickens is very boring. I couldn't finish David Coppefield. :bang:

Korolenko was Ukrainian by origin, by the way. As well as Gogol.
Hedwig
Citizen of Imladris

Postby flammable » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:53 am

Right, there certainly were a couple of those.

First that comes to mind is Harry Potter - actually I found it reasonably enjoyable, as a children book, up to the book four. The big bad guys doing "tadaaaa guess whos back" in the end of the book 4 was quite unconvincing and it all went downhill from there. The plot pretty much went to a)write about some teenage conflict and make main characters make up in the end of the book b) remember to add the big bad guy occasionally c) kill some character.

Another of those for me is Wheel of Time, although for different reasons. First book I found to be a bit of a cliche, the next read quite easily, but lacked some depth, dunno. Did not get to finish the series.

Then there is Salvatore. I liked the Dark Elf stuff, up to the point where the dark elf guy gets out to the surface and is hit by the D&D manual. No seriously, people should be punished for doing that sort of thing, spoiling the perfectly good series like that. I read some other books of the cycle later, but they felt a bit like the castle novels, especially last ones where mister dark elf makes out with the human lass.

Generally I liked Eragon and did not find follow ups to be that bad, after all many authors just play in the Tolkien's sand box, but what annoyed me a lot was that squeezing of the elves into the modern vegetarian culture. It was so poorly written out and reaking of teenage values, that made me do a facepalm each time it got mentioned.
flammable
Mariner

Postby Sammy_W » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:28 pm

I too disliked Harry Potter, well I only read the first one and thought it was poorly written and could never give it a second chance although it has such a huge following. This has resulted in me reminding several friends over and over again I am not fan when they keep bringing it up.
Sammy_W
Petitioner to the Council

The Wizard's First Rule or The Sword of Truth Series.

Postby Nicodemus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:12 pm

The Wizard's First Rule.
I can't stand this book. EVERYONE hyped it up as being great; one person even said it was taking JRRT's world and expanding it. (HAW!)

I'm 166 pages in and I hate it. What garbage! I'll read the first book...I'll trudge through it. Maybe it gets better after page 200. I'll give it a chance.

There are some things I like about the book, but they are minor details. The tiny little fantasy things are pretty cool. But the big things, the really big things are totally off.

What do I hate about it? THE CHARACTERS! I don't believe any of the main characters. NOT AT ALL! When I read this book it makes me think that the author LOVES his characters too much and doesn't want anything bad to happen to them. And, why are they so perfect? They can do no wrong. It's like the author is trying to force me to like them. But the characters are fake. It feels like a high school student wrote this book. There are also so many things that just don't add up.

1) If Cahlan is so powerful that she can destroy a Quad, why does she need Richard's help to escape the quad?

2) Why was it so difficult for Kahlan to get across the Boundary, but everyone else in Midland waltzes across to ballroom music?

3) If everyone and their moms is coming and going across the boundary, why even have a damn boundary or pretend it exists?

4) Why is it that Kahlan and Richard damn near get married by the end of their first day together (a benchmark of really bad Fantasy writing)?

5) What is this constant "I'm your friend [insert name]." crap? Why are they constantly reassuring each other of this friendship pledge taken in blind faith (...a promise made within 5 seconds of knowing each other in some cases...) throughout the first 150 pages? Is it a lie? Is it justification? Or is it inanity?

5a) And why do they have to say it...why does the author have to say it? Writing rule #1: SHOW DON'T TELL!

6)What's up with all the pointless details?

7)...(and on and on)

Well, I hope it gets better. I'll give it a chance because EVERYONE is in love with this series, but I don't think it will get any better. Perhaps my opinion will change by the end. I hope so.

N.
Nicodemus
Citizen of Imladris

Postby hamlet » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:22 am

But tell us how you really feel . . .
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:18 am

:rofl:

I've come across books like that, Nic...and I've quit long before you have.

Of course, sometimes you have to stick with a book just because train wrecks are fascinating to watch!

Always...

"I'd rather kiss a Wookie..."

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby hamlet » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 am

I've had a couple like that. So fascinating not because of good writing or engaging story, but exactly the opposite.

The Temeraire novels are a lot like that. Dragon riders in the Napoleanic war wherin dragons are giant scaley kitty cats. And I'm not kidding, even a little.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Amrunelen » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Wizard of Earthsea and 100 Years of Solitude. Hate may be a bit strong, but disliked/was disappointed.

I want to like Marquez more than I want to like Leguin, though....we looked at some of her interviews and she was so full of herself! Snarky comments about everything. Meh. :|
Amrunelen
Mariner

Another one for the same reason...Dune.

Postby Nicodemus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:03 pm

Dune is a book that almost everyone I talk to, sci-fi/fantasy aficionado or not, seems to love. I admit there are some really cool parts. In fact, the whole book is really really cool...accept two big things. Once again, the main characters.

I know it's reputed as being the best selling Sci-Fi book of all time, and the most popular among non-scifi/fantasy readers, but I just couldn't enjoy it for the same reasons as I struggle with Sword of Truth. I don't believe the two main characters, Jessica or Paul.

The main problem I have with them is that they rely on 'The Training' for everything. Any conflict is easily, nay masterfully, overcome when either Paul or Jessica use the Bene Gesserit training. They never actually have to think, just follow the protocol.

Also, they are, once again, too perfect; they can do no wrong. One example is during the dinner party. Jessica was the most perfect hostess ever of all time. Or at least that's how Frank Herbert made her out to be.

The chapter that lost me completely is when Stilgar, the leader of the local militia, the freemen (cool name regardless), within 5 seconds of being subdued is nearly willing to pledge his life and the future of his people to a stranger who arrived about a week ago an screwed up so badly that their family lost their feudal 'right' to own another planet to the very tyrants who had just been kicked out last month. I'm sorry but a suspicious group of locals won't trust any power, especially one that just showed and proved their ineptitude within a week of having moved in.

Once again, the minor characters and the world creation are really worth the read. But the two main characters are simply not believable.

One character I loved in the book was Liet Kynes. I thought that the relationship with his father, which only came out as he was about to die, was intensely interesting. Too bad all the characters were not like that.

N.
Nicodemus
Citizen of Imladris

michael crichton

Postby Nicodemus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:26 pm

I read a few of his and always thought the same thing: he interesting 'what-if' ideas, but the characters were exactly as Neka and Irisbrandybuck describe them, very formulaic. I feel the same about Jerry Bruckheimer films: Ya seen one, ya seen em all.
Nicodemus
Citizen of Imladris

Postby hamlet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:18 am

Not everybody liked Dune. I never much cared for it, though some of it was pretty darn nifty.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:25 am

Chriton was better when he wasn't trying to write a book for a purpose...like "Lost World" which was written because it was expected to be written and I don't think he put his heart into it. Timeline and Air Frame are excellent...you can tell he got interested in something and wrote about it. Congo, on the other hand...ugh...

Always...

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby hamlet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:59 am

Chriton was better when you just don't take it seriously. His books are, to me, a lot like a good old 50's Sci-Fi/Horror flick. Just good old fashioned fun.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Martin the Warrior » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:30 pm

Books I've hated that most people liked:

A Series of Unfortunate Events: Book 13 The End by Lemony Snicket, I wanted a different ending, I really liked the series up until then. That was a few years ago, and am still mad at that ending (I'd tell you why but if you're reading it, it might ruin the book for you.)

Red Harvest by Joe Scribner (sp?) the whole zombie/Star Wars mash up really left me feeling ill. I liked Death Troopers, just not Red Harvest.

Louisa May Alcott books-(other than Little Women and Little Men) there's one I can think of but can't remember the title, that specifically stands out.
Martin the Warrior
Rider of the Mark

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:29 pm

A Long Fatal Love Chase? :) I like it for the gothic tone and it was a good story, but rough and I hated the ending!

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Nicodemus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:04 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:A Long Fatal Love Chase...I hated the ending!

I never read that one. But one book that I did read that IMHO had a terrible ending was Brave New World. I loved that book all the way to the end where John the savage randomly decides to break character {a major no-no as most writers will tell you} by taking drugs and having an orgy. Everyone I talk to says this book is a masterpiece, but there is no motivation for John to break character; there is no build up. When I first read it I thought he commits suicide because he murders Lenina. I had to read the end several times just to be sure it was that bad. (No Joke.) The ending just destroyed the whole thing for me.

The rest of the book was great.

N.
Nicodemus
Citizen of Imladris

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:58 am

I read that book in high school and didn't like it. Someday I may go back to it.

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Nicodemus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:22 pm

Necromancer by Gordon Dickson was book I finished reading just to see how bad it eventually became. I don't suggest trying it. Sometimes a film or a book is soooo terrible it's cool. Barbarella is an example. Necromancer, unfortunately, is not. It's just bad. I am so not interested in the other Dorsai books because of this one. What is even more shocking is that Dickson has actually won A Hugo award. Wow!

N.
Nicodemus
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gollum Girl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Anything by R.A.Salvatore....I read one of his books. It's all battle, and then the heros literally walks off into the sunset riding a pony.
Yes, very original indeed.

:P
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby Storyteller » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:27 pm

Hedwig wrote:
Storyteller wrote:I find Dostoyevsky sleep-inducing. I've read plenty of those "heavy" Russian classics and liked many (Chekhov and Korolenko especially), but Dostoyevsky is unbearable.

How I understand you!!! I my country (Ukraine) we read Dostoevsky at school when we are some 12 - 13 years old. It is TERRIBLE! I read every page for three times to understand and remember it. Don't thunk me or my claasmates were too stupid. This is too early to read such sophisticated literature. And I can't read Dostoevsky even now - this is not my spirit, I don't like him however great classic he is.
And as for me, Dickens is very boring. I couldn't finish David Coppefield. :bang:

Korolenko was Ukrainian by origin, by the way. As well as Gogol.

Gogol is another one of Russian classics whom I can't stomach. His short stories are sort of ok, readable but not impressive, but "Dead Souls" was just a pile of chaotic crudeness. We had to learn by heart a piece from it, and it was the first time in my life that I actually struggled to memorize a piece of text. Horrid run-on sentences, convoluted and fragmented grammar... And there's something downright life-hating in all of his works, even the borderline-readable "Taras Bulba" left me with a kind of putrid aftertaste.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Ponyboy wrote:Critically acclaimed books that I just didn't care for:

Catcher in the Rye

On The Road

AMEN.

Thank heaven I'm not the only one that thought these were mostly a waste of time. Catcher in the Rye in particular is an over-hyped piece of unadulterated trash, IMHO. And On The Road is nearly too close a second to call it that. :P

I also hated a ton of Hemingway that everyone else waxed poetic over. To show you just how much I thought of the author, I can't even remember which books they were. Yep. Made just that deep an impression, LOL.

:P

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:51 pm

SilverScribe wrote:
Ponyboy wrote:Critically acclaimed books that I just didn't care for:

Catcher in the Rye

On The Road

AMEN.

Thank heaven I'm not the only one that thought these were mostly a waste of time. Catcher in the Rye in particular is an over-hyped piece of unadulterated trash, IMHO.

Word.

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Frelga » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Word +1

Catcher in the Rye is about a teenager having what a certain poster described as "first world problems."
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:13 pm

The bible

I guess some of the psalms are alright. But the rest of the stories are just kinda *yawn*

There was just to much Deux Ex Machina saving the hero all the time :D

Jane Eyre. shudder.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Gollum Girl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Anything my school recommends.
Last edited by Gollum Girl on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:12 am

I like the Bronte sisters, but I keep getting mad at them. :rofl: I mean, Heathcliff as a hero? He was a rotten person! But I couldn't put the book down. Same with Jane Eyre...the man was so rotten...but I couldn't stop reading.

Agnes Gray and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall are very good though. :)

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Orcrist_74 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:05 am

Pillars of the Earth and Game of Thrones

Well, Game of Thrones only the HBO serie, I have no interest in reading the books now.

Everybody told me "Oh, I recomend these ones for you!! they are like Tolkien!!!!!!!!!" so I bought the Pillars of the Earth and... Jesus....

Tolkien fans are so fascinated by Game of Thrones /GR Martin, becoz its as great as Tolkien and I.... Jesus :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am just shocked to see how much people think this style is "Just like Tolkien" or better... :pull: :?
Orcrist_74
Petitioner to the Council

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:05 am

I don't think Pillars of the Earth is fantasy or is supposed to be "like Tolkien". It was Ken Follett's departure from the thriller format to try his hand at historical fiction. However, historical fiction isn't everyone's cup of tea and can be frustrating!

I've not read the Game of Thrones books yet. I don't get HBO so I have no idea what the television show is like, but they've probably cut a lot out and summarized a lot to make it palatable for TV viewers.

I haven't read anything I didn't like recently...of course, I've been sticking with people I know can write good stuff though, too. ;)

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Gollum Girl » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Stick with the classics...that's what I've always said. ;) Of course, classics can be boring/bad, too.
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby frodolives668 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:44 am

Gollum Girl wrote:Stick with the classics...that's what I've always said. ;) Of course, classics can be boring/bad, too.

AY-MEN! Most of them are great but ya have to be carefull because when they're bad, they're REALLY bad.

A book everyone loved but me? easy. Harry Potter. I hate Harry Potter. :evil: I always hate the popular things. Like Justin Beiber. I'm gonna have thousands of teenage girls form a mob outside my house for that but I just don't like jb. I don't hate him, but I don't like him either.

That, and "The Color Purple". Fell asleep after the first two pages. :zzz:

Edit: Forgot! Also I didn't like twilight that much.
frodolives668
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)