Books you hated and everyone else loved.

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:16 am

I picked up some books that had fallen to the floor last night and found Rhaphsody. I got about 1/3 or so through it and quit. It wasn't bad...I can't say I hated it...I simply didn't care if I kept reading it or not.

:roll:

Boy am I glad I only paid 75 cents and didn't buy the whole set like I was going to.

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:38 am

I personally didn't mind Atlas Shrugged so much, and actually enjoyed Anthem.

In short, I object to her objectivism. Preachy and nauseating, which is ironic, since she is suggesting an every man for himself philosophy.

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:09 pm

Since I haven't seen it yet, Twilight. I read the first book, and have no desire to read the others. The main character is weak and spineless, and lets everyone tell her what to do, and make her decisions for her. IMHO, she's a bad example, to girls especially, and the books not only suggest that it's okay to let other people tell you what to do and run your life, but they actually glorify such a lifestyle. Very irresponsible, in my opinion.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby Finarphir » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:05 am

Gandalf'sMother wrote:
I personally didn't mind Atlas Shrugged so much, and actually enjoyed Anthem.

In short, I object to her objectivism. Preachy and nauseating, which is ironic, since she is suggesting an every man for himself philosophy.

-GM

I must correct myself. :shock: It wasn't Atlas Shrugged that I'd read, but The Fountainhead, and that was a really, really long time ago (decades). Now I'm thinking that I may have to revisit it and reevaluate. Although, I do suppose that it's probably just as objectionally objective as Atlas Shrugged. I can't recall.
Finarphir
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbitlover4 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:36 pm

Eldest.
A few other friends and myself seem to be the only ones who are not all over that book. Who knows what the third, or even Forth[iwill bring![/i]
Hobbitlover4
Shield Bearer

Location: Treading through the Mines of Moria in the cold, hard darkness.

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:19 am

I think so far I've come across 1 book that people seem to like that I just couldn't stand. A Farewell to Arms. Oh dear. Had to read it in AP Lit in high school and I came ridiculously close to just buying the Cliff's Notes and calling it good. It's been...5 years since I read it? Maybe I should try reading it again now that I'm not being forced to read it for school (though nobody really had to 'force' me to read anything in school - I did it quite willingly :) ).

It was just...bland. And from what I've heard, that's a pretty prevalent Hemingway writing technique. :P
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:47 am

Hobbitlover...you should meet Ugluk. :)

Eve: I had that problem with 1984 and Pride and Prejudice. I've never wanted to read 1984 again (but someday I'll try I suppose) but I did read P&P again and the second time through I loved it. I think some books do need a second try.

Not Catcher in the Rye though...I'm NEVER reading that joke again. :roll:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:56 pm

Ah...Pride and Prejudice. I haven't read it, but the one Jane Austen novel I did try to read was also the first and only book I have actually bought Cliff's Notes for. Northanger Abbey. Dear me. It was assigned to us in Brit Lit in college, but I just couldn't get into it. It's turned me off to trying other Jane Austen novels, but I've heard from friends that Northanger Abbey is a poor sampling of her work and that I should try others instead. We shall see. :)
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:06 pm

Of all of her books, Northanger Abbey is probably the poorest (well, ok, Persuasion probably is but only because she never got around to polishing it before she died). I would give Pride and Prejudice a shot...Lizzy Bennet is fun...she's very much aware of how people percieve her and her family, but tends to put family first. Mr. Darcy is a pain at first, until you realize that he's just very reserved...*shuts up* :P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Liruliniel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:32 am

Takes a deep breath*

Harry Potter!

*promptly ducks for cover*

I'm sorry, but it had to be said.
To quote Kelsey Grammar "Its the literary equivalent of crack cocaine"

I do appreciate the imagination that goes into JK Rowlings works- but I can't help but find them to be so poorly written that it almost hurts. Then again, its possible that maybe the LOTR series has just spoiled me for other literature.

Harry Potter fans say that the writing gets better as the series goes on- but I don't want to have to shovel through all of that drivel to find the good bits.
Liruliniel
Shield Bearer

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:13 pm

It really does get better as it goes on. :)

And I'm not just saying that either. I refused to read HP for years and one day at work the first book in the series was just lying around and I had some time to kill so I picked it up. It piqued my interest enough to move onto the second one. And then 2 weeks later I had finished the last one. :P

I have to give her credit - her writing does improve by leaps and bounds the further into the series it gets. Just sayin' - one skeptic to another. ;)

That said, considering the nature of this thread - it's okay to dislike books that everyone else loves. :D
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Liruliniel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:55 pm

Thats what they say-

Maybe one day I'll suck it up and try to get through it until I reach the good part- but since I've seen most of the movies I'm afraid that the books might be ruined for me.
:|

Do you think it was worth it? And did you actually purchase the books?
Liruliniel
Shield Bearer

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:29 pm

You know, I think the movies only make the books better since the books are so much more involved than the films. :)

And I did exactly what you said you might do - suck it up and just try it. And then I liked them. I was quite pleasantly surprised. :)

And I don't own the books yet only because my roommate owns them. I see it pointless to purchase seven books that are already on a bookshelf 20 feet away from my room. :P

But you can bet that whenever it happens that we don't live together anymore, I'll be getting them. :)
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Liruliniel » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:38 pm

I sure would lose alot of face if I conformed now- but if diehard lord of the rings fans can appreciate it.
There may be something to it that I just haven't found yet.

But the first book...
so bad...
so...one dimensional

tries hardest to suck it up*

:D
Liruliniel
Shield Bearer

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:24 pm

-Liruliniel- wrote:I sure would lose alot of face if I conformed now

I felt EXACTLY the same way. :rofl:

I got some light teasing from my friends who had been trying to get me to read them for awhile, but overall they were just excited that I finally read them. :P
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Ishi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:21 pm

TWILIGHT. I read the first three, cant seem to finish the fourth and last one in the series.

It is so poorly written with shallow characters and predictable plots. It reads like a fanfiction.
Ishi
Petitioner to the Council

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:19 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:I think some books do need a second try.

Not Catcher in the Rye though...I'm NEVER reading that joke again. :roll:

Some books do need a second try, unfortunately, some books actually read worse the second time around. I found this with "Don Quixote" . . . I read it the first time waaay back in High School and loved it. I read it again a year or so ago and had the worst time making myself finish it. Granted, I may have read a different translation, I have since found many references to the various translations and how they differ in tone. I must have picked up the "stupid gloomy" one, rather than the "lightly humourous" one . . . :roll:

As for Catcher in the Rye, I totally agree. An over-hyped piece of adolescent garbage, which falls into the same (for me) category as other over-hyped pieces of garbage, like a lot of Hemingway's stuff ;) and other junk like Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and other similiar tripe which IMHO, is just a Dear Diary excuse for a man (or a bunch of men) to behave badly and attempt to justify the resulting chronicles as "literature". Pfffft.

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:16 pm

:rofl:

I have a copy of Don Quixote...If I don't like it, I'll know to look for another translation!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Iris, I have the Penguin Classic version, translated by John Rutherford. While the Preface notes state that this particular translation won the 2002 Primo Valle Inclan prize for translation from the Spanish, I found it almost devoid of the gentle, humorous tone that I remember from my High School outing with it.

Hopefully, you have a better translation, or at least one that retained the tongue-in-cheek tone that I'm quite certain Cervantes intended.

Otherwise, the character of Don Quixote simply comes off as deranged and somewhat pathetic . . . :(

Oh, and I now remember what other books I wanted to add to this list . . . the "Chanur" series by C.J. Cherryh. I loved her Foreigner series, but the Kitty Kats in Space idea just didn't manage to grab me at all . . . I gave up partway through the very first volume . . .

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby K.Evenstar » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:20 am

I very rarely give up on a book, but took back Life Class (Pat Barker) back to the library because I just couldn't be bothered with it. I found about 1/3 of the way through it I didn't care what happened to the characters and didn't care if I never found out. I've read the Regeneration series by her, like the first one and hate the other two, because I've discovered the only characters she writes about that I find at all interesting are the ones who existed in real life. I just don't care about her fictional people.
K.Evenstar
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:10 pm

Have I mentioned this before? "Dune" and all its progeny.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:40 am

You may have. :)

I haven't read anything really bad recently. I think that's mainly because I've just decided that if they don't get me hooked within three or so chapters, forget it. Life's too short, and there are too many books to read.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:44 am

Exactly how I feel too!!!! :thumbsup:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Frelga » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:30 am

portia wrote:Have I mentioned this before? "Dune" and all its progeny.

I liked the original Dune. I tried reading the next one in the bookstore and... meh, couldn't get through the prologue.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby krawler » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:03 pm

I've tried twice to start reading Ursula K. LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness, but found I could never get past the first few pages. Odd, I thought, since I've read and liked several of her other fantasy and sci-fi books.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Romeo and Juliet. I remember reading this sometime back in grade 10 or so. I found that it didn't live up to the hype whatsoever. It was a pretty bland story, with no depth. Sorry Mr. Bard! Although I do like most of your other plays. :)
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:02 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:
I haven't read anything really bad recently. I think that's mainly because I've just decided that if they don't get me hooked within three or so chapters, forget it. Life's too short, and there are too many books to read.[/color]

Right. I recently took a book back to the library after two days and about 20 pages, because it didn't interest me. Sooooo glad I hadn't purchased the thing.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:11 am

That's the nice thing about Barnes and Noble...if you have time to browse, you can sit and start a book and see if it's worth purchasing.

Eru: Yeah, the original play is bland, but it's fun watching movies based on the original, like West Side Story! If you know the basic plot, you see it used, and reused, everywhere. :)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ayslhyn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:00 am

Definitely Harry Potter.

It's Enid Blyton with wands :)
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:42 am

Enid Blyton? I'm afraid I havent' heard of that. Iris, I simply LOVE that squirrel! It reminds me of the squirrel in the movie "Over the Hedge," especially after he drinks that energy drink. ooooh, squirrels on caffiene. That's a scary thought.

Happy New Year!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)